lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Two blades or double-bladed?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Kilppari
Rookie

Two blades or double-bladed?

On my second playthrough I chose two-handed weapon fighting feats for my sentinel and now I am wondering should I take two lightsaber or double-bladed? Which one is more effective?
Kilppari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
JCarter426

Two lightsabers (one regular and one short) are more effective, since you can upgrade them individually.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I think two lightsabers provides better defense as well.
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Yeah, you'll suffer a penalty from duel wielding, and upgrading two individual sabers will negate that more then a single double bladed saber can.

Plus, if you want to go cool, two sabers is the way, even Kavar does it!

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Yeah two lightsabers is definitely the cool way to go...

I only wish that KotOR let you customize a hilt. I heard that TFU might allow for hilt customization...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Two lightsabers (one regular and one short) are more effective, since you can upgrade them individually.
I used to think that too. But, recently, I've realized that, if you got two particularly powerful crystals, wouldn't it be better to use them on your currently using sabers (double-bladed) instead of using those on one of the sabers and using some other crystal, that's more mediocre on the other blade? (Single-bladed)

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
I used to think that too. But, recently, I've realized that, if you got two particularly powerful crystals, wouldn't it be better to use them on your currently using sabers (double-bladed) instead of using those on one of the sabers and using some other crystal, that's more mediocre on the other blade? (Single-bladed)
I prefer to get 4 particularly powerful crystals and use 2 on each saber.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Having two sabers means you get twice the upgrades. Especially in K2, since you can upgrade the lightsaber itself in addition to the crystals.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Having two sabers means you get twice the upgrades. Especially in K2, since you can upgrade the lightsaber itself in addition to the crystals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Gurges-Ahter
I prefer to get 4 particularly powerful crystals and use 2 on each saber.
Yes, I'm well aware you don't get twice the upgrades on one saber. But let's suppose you have two powerful crystals and the others are crap. Isn't it better to use the two crystals on one lightsaber (double-bladed) instead of using a good one and a fairly crappy other? (One on each hand)

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
JCarter426

Depends on what kind of crystal we're talking about. If it does additional damage or attack, then it would be better on a double-bladed. If it's just an attribute booster, then it doesn't matter.

And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway. And in K2, the lightsaber hilt bonuses are far better than the crystal bonuses anyway.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

How about using 1 powerful crystal on each saber? Not sure how that would compare to using them both on the double-bladed saber.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway.
Yes, I agree with that. No way I go double-bladed before achieving mastery on the dual weapons feat.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
HK-52
Rookie

Normally double-bladed, but sometimes I use 2 sabers, one with a great damage and another to boost my skills and my attributes

Apology: Please sorry me for my grammar and my spelling, my translating protocols are obsolete.
(My motherlanguaje is spanish) (Mi idioma natal es el español [castellano])

Kotor: Revenge of Revan MOD site: http://kotorrevengeofrevan.wetpaint.com/
KotOR: Revenge of Revan Thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=186405&page=1
HK-52 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Gothic90
Rookie

Quote:
Depends on what kind of crystal we're talking about. If it does additional damage or attack, then it would be better on a double-bladed. If it's just an attribute booster, then it doesn't matter.

And it's better to stick with a single saber until late in the game, when your base attack is high enough and when you've built up the dual weapon feats, and by then odds are you'll have a few decent crystals anyway. And in K2, the lightsaber hilt bonuses are far better than the crystal bonuses anyway.
I think you can easily build up the dual weapon feats before you get a lightsaber. You usually have to be on the first planet after Telos, and would be about level 13 or so. By then even a Consular could have built up his dual weapon feats.

Quote:
That's true only for the emitter Parts which increases attack and damage only affect one blade. Well, if you get some particular powerful stat-increasing crystals such as Kaliburr and Ankkares Sappihere, Jar'kai is the way to go.

The biggest advantage of double-blade in K2 is that for every strength modifier you get 1.5 damage on your mainhand. For people whose strength is high, actually double-blade will deal very serious damage to your opponent.
Gothic90 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

I myself prefer two sword, guns, or even sabers, except for Mandalore, HK-47, and Kreia. But when I go to two sabers, on my main character, I just use two sabers, not the 4 swords I use, as there aren't all that many droids left to kill. Until close to Malachor. Once I get there, I switch out the saber that does a lot of blaster reflecting, to one that does about the same damage as my main saber. The crystals add some to damage, but so does the emitters, lens, and power cell. I go for additional critical damage when I am working up a saber. (double-bladed sabers make good components, when you need them.)

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Wedge Suron
Grey Jedi Lord

Current Game: many
I actually prefer single things, whether it be Swords or Lightsabers. - I have mods that replaces the droids -

A nice song, fits them perfectly.
The Mandalorians - The Chosen Ones
Wedge Suron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
Two blades provides for more better effectiveness in battle, IE, about 1080* of defense/attack coverage, while a doubleblade provides about 720* of defense/attack coverage. Doubleblade provides for excellent assaults, but poor defense, while two blades provides for excellent defense and combat adaptability. That's why I choose two lightsabers instead of a doubleblade.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #18
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Not necessarily. First of all, I'm not sure where you got the 1080 and 720 numbers. If you think you can block behind you with any kind of saber style, that would be a mistake--our anatomy doesn't allow us to do that. You also always want to keep your enemy in front of you, not to your side or back.

Double blade can defend as well as attack--you simply block with the blade. Having actually fought with both 1 and 2 rapiers....two blade style isn't about defense at all, it's all about attack, though you can use one or both blades to block an incoming attack. Your goal in that style is to get the guy distracted or his blade pulled off to one side with one of your blades and then nail him with the other blade.

I always carry 2 sabers in Kotor and TSL. Why? With a single blade you get 3 upgrades (3 crystals or 2 components and a crystal). With double-blade you get 3 upgrades. When you have 2 single blades, that means you have 6 upgrades--an advantage if you want something in your off hand for blaster bolt deflection or attribute bonuses, etc.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #19
kotorfan84
Rookie

When ever I played as revan, I used two light sabers. He was too much of a bad *** to use one. When I played as the exile, I one single blade light saber (more traditional jedi look).

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 05-10-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: language
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #20
Gothic90
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotorfan84
When ever I played as revan, I used two light sabers. He was too much of a bad *** to use one. When I played as the exile, I one single blade light saber (more traditional jedi look).
Well, surely Palpatine is more of a bad *** than Revan...
and Bastila is surely so nice that she could not use only one blade...

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 05-10-2008 at 01:42 AM. Reason: language
Gothic90 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #21
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Thats what I usually do, partly because I can't find a second saber. I also noticed that you have to build the hilt upgrades yourself, and that usually falls on Bao-Dur or Kreia to do that. Why are the one-handed people good at making stuff?

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #22
Wedge Suron
Grey Jedi Lord

Current Game: many
I decided to try 2 bladed Lightsabers on my Exile and I did quite well.

Although it could have something to do with the feat mods I have.

A nice song, fits them perfectly.
The Mandalorians - The Chosen Ones
Wedge Suron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #23
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_man
Thats what I usually do, partly because I can't find a second saber.
Yeah, that too. Honestly, sometimes it feels like I never get a short saber, while other times they're the only ones I'll get! Sometimes I have to resort to using an Echani vibroblade, if I'm lucky enough to have picked one up (or after I've modded it into normal gameplay ). Really nice weapon; stronger than a lightsaber when upgraded (assuming the lightsaber itself isn't upgraded ), and it has a pretty good critical threat range.

Quote:
I also noticed that you have to build the hilt upgrades yourself, and that usually falls on Bao-Dur or Kreia to do that. Why are the one-handed people good at making stuff?
Hey, what about T3? He has no hands. I usually have them make some of the upgrades (Kreia is my Treat Injury, Stealth, and Awareness slave, while Bao-dur takes care of Repair, Demolitions, and Security), but I also like to have my Exile have as many skill points as possible in most areas (I ignore TA and Stealth after getting a few points in each...more than I probably need), because the Exile does end up alone on more than one situation, and Obsidian wasn't as stingy as BioWare was with workbenches in such situations. While slogging through the Jekk'Jekk Tarr, I usually gain one or two levels (I'm estimating here), and usually I'm able to reach the next upgrade level once I find the workbench. More helpful to have them sooner, in the middle of a fight, rather than have the two stooges do it later. Maybe I'm just impatient.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #24
DAWUSS

Revan got 2 lightsabers, Exile got 1 double-bladed lightsaber
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Bastila and handmaiden always had a doublesaber, everyone else duel wielded or single bladed

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #26
Ben Bryddia
Rookie

I prefer Jar'kai personally (in both reality and the games) as I always find double-blading it rather unnatural looking. In game 2 it really hits harder once I've gotten the Ruusan and 'Exile' crystals and the latter starts to 'earn interest', than my Force powers start to skyrocket. The downside is I get to powerful and then there's no fun in fighting the hordes of foes like there is on the starforge.
Defense, when one plays as a Force wielder in game 2, is more economic than enormous attack because I relegate most attribute points to wisdom, charisma, and dexterity. What I'm trying to say is that I use my sabers to up my lightening and defense as I prefer just zapping a room clean rather than duking it out with every single Sith assassin. Plus with two sabers I can have silver and cyan blades simulataniously!

"Raking is easy, but all you get is leaves. Digging is hard, but you may find gold.”
-John Piper

“Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.”
-God

"Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!"
-Feanor to Morgoth
Ben Bryddia is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #27
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Obviously 2 blades gives you more power, but the games not that hard, and Double-Bladed is way cooler than 2 lightsabers.

So, it's up to you, I ALWAYS go Double-bladed though...

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #28
TheExile

Well, I i divide my party in groups of 2 members: Atton-Mira, Kreia-Visas, Mandalore-Handmaiden, etc. and I take duals and I give one guy a single hilt in one slot and an very upgraded and powerful pistol in the other slot and I give the other guy a double in one slot and a rifle/gun in the other slot.

IMO: they are all cool and advantageous in their way, but I keep duals because I use duals at martial arts and I also use duals at any other Star Wars game...

*Note: Chapter 8 is out!*
[Fic] The war of the ancients, seen through the eyes of one young men, as he walks the road of destiny... The Triumvirates War

TheExile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
bally3000
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect trilogy (again :3)
i prefere to use a double bladed one but i have done it with 2 sabers and doing itnow with a double and i seem to be doing better but tht could also be experiance lol!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it
bally3000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #30
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Double blades are certainly more effective because of the extra crystals and so and so forth, but from a cool-factor point of view, they don't compared to a saberstaff. Two blades always seemed a bit impractical for someone in the Exile's position.

However, cool people use single-bladed 'sabers. 'Natch.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #31
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Two blades always seemed a bit impractical for someone in the Exile's position.
Why for the Exile's position specifically?
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #32
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Single blade is the way to go, IMO, but it does look pretty effing awesome when 6 lightsabers are activated at once at the beginning of a fight.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #33
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Why for the Exile's position specifically?
The whole on-a-quest, one-man/woman-against-the-galaxy, on-the-run sort of scenario suggest, to me, no need for the addition of a second lightsaber, as the Jar'Kai suggest - again, to me - the luxury of being able to let yourself go, whereas a single saber says defensive. all imo of course, and I don't know if anyone else feels the same way.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #34
bally3000
Rookie

well i like having differewnt colours when i have two sabers lol but i get bored of one saber i know it sounds wierd but i just think that everybody else uses it and i like to be diferent lol! but i love unarmed fighting but i have never used a female exile before so i thought i would try it but i forgot u didn't get the handmaden and forgotten to train on telos first... sorry that was a bit off the convo lol!

The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it

Last edited by bally3000; 08-06-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #35
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I like twin lightsabers because they are easier to fight with than a staff you can't touch and have to avoid being touched with. Single sabers are just more manageable and less dangerous to the user.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #36
bally3000
Rookie

That would be funny, "eeerrrr.... Darth maul, what happened to your arm..?"
"well i was spinning around my saber around and well i forgot it was a double and i cut it off" hahahahaha... but a single one would be easier to use =D

The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #37
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls

Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
When I'm playing TSL sometimes it is best to set two sabers as your secondary weapon and a double blade as your first so you can ust swap at a touch of a button.

~Xander

Darth Xander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #38
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Xander View Post
When I'm playing TSL sometimes it is best to set two sabers as your secondary weapon and a double blade as your first so you can ust swap at a touch of a button.

~Xander
But that leaves no option for just a single blade

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #39
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
But that leaves no option for just a single blade
If your character is already proficient with two bladed weapons, then a single saber would be restrictive.

You can use a single saber for up to two attacks per round(with flurry), but up to four w/master speed. You can get up to five w/two/double bladed weapons. Although they are not as effective as each attack by a single blade, the fact you get another more than makes up for that. The wisdom and blaster deflection abilities are also much greater w/two sabers.

The double is restricted in number of deflection/wisdom upgrades, but it is more economic than two sabers. The only catch is that double MUST be used a character w/mastery two handed weapons. The single sabers could be distributed to two characters w/out those feats.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Agreed, 100%. But I like to use single saber just because I feel that is more Jedi, and the game is already easy enough. I do go double saber at times though, because it makes the battle end sooner.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Two blades or double-bladed?