lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: viruses
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
viruses

Just wondering if anyone has had any problem with getting hit with a boatlaod of viruses while logged onto this site. Twice in about 3 weeks I've gotten hit with multiple viruses while clicking a thread in the KOTOR forum. Can't provide you with a list (already took care of them), but at least 4 of the trojans/viruses/worms/whatever were completely alien to the Norton program that came with my machine (defs updated regularly). It only seems unusual to me b/c of the length of time since I signed on here (summer '06) I've rarely ever had a problem (3x total, I think).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
I haven't had any such occurrences. If it happens again, take note of the URL and take a screenshot. Make sure your logging is turned on in Norton.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I just got the canned IE warning that something was trying to install an ActiveX control when I clicked on Rhett's birthday thread.

Don't now if it's relevant, but I'd never experienced anything like that on this forum before now.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I haven't had any problems, I run firefox, with a load of security add-ons; noscript hasn't given me any stopped script warning for the forums, though I also have an add blocker on as well, so dunno if the problem was an ad.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
I just got the canned IE warning that something was trying to install an ActiveX control when I clicked on Rhett's birthday thread.

Don't now if it's relevant, but I'd never experienced anything like that on this forum before now.
That would be something originating from one of the banner ads. No functionality on Lucasforums requires ActiveX to work.

Unfortunately what banners get served is mostly out of our control; it is determined by the advertisement companies. As far as I understand it the LF staff can at most complain about specific ads and ask for them to be removed from the rotation here.

In general you should never allow a site to run ActiveX controls unless you are 100% certain of what it does, where it comes from and that it is needed for the site to work properly (like when using Windows Update, for example).

mt
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I would suggest that you get rid of norton Antivirus and anything else you have, unless if it's AVG, and then download and install the Avast antivirus program.(And maybe AVG also. Not sure if Mcafee works with Avast though if you want Mcafee Antivirus.) After that, I doubt you'll have any problems with viruses ever again... However, as a warning, Avast is very lethal agaisnt intruding programs on your computer, such as other antivirus programs, spyware, and such, so be warned that Avast may treat those programs as viruses, which can cause soem problems with your computer in that case. Also, however, Avast, IMO is the best antivirus program out there, and I think it's worth it over every other antivirus/spyware program.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I haven't had any problems with this. Occasionally I get some pop-ups that I don't want (and they are almost all blocked), but that is generally it. The computer that I use has Norton 360 and is doing just fine. I also have Webroot Spy Sweeper that works well. So, I have been fine.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I'm just running a modded hosts files and haven't noticed anything.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > viruses