lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: So, any single saber wielder users here???
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
HaveFallen
Rookie

So, any single saber wielder users here???

Hey all,

I believe wielding one saber is the best, no matter how many penalties you have.

Yeahh!! Shwoom, shwoom, meearrrn, shwoooom.
HaveFallen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I sometimes do just because it makes me feel more like a real Jedi, but I usually use two. I believe Anakin uses two at one point during one of the movies - doesn't he? Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
yes he does, in Attack of the Clones, vs Dooku

I too use a single blade for styles sake, cant beat a single Lightsaber

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
One saber all the way!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Lord Foley

Unfortunately, even with Master Dueling or whatever it's called, single lightsaber is just not as good.

I wish they would do the single lightsaber justice- I mean honestly, it is SO much harder to wield two at once.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I've tried all the styles, and no matter how I do it all the common enemies still die in two or three hits, regardless of whether I'm hitting them with two lightsabers or my bare hands.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I've actually modded both games so that there are no short or double sabers. Everyone uses either a single saber or a blaster...just like in the original trilogy.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Corinthian
Banned

Frankly, the overpoweredness of Double-Bladeds and Dual-Wielding is much less annoying than how useless Blasters are. They have the range of an average spitwad.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I agree with Corinthian – there is some appeal to using the single lightsaber, but using two of them, a double-bladed saber, or a short saber doesn’t bother me so much. It’s using a blaster that bothers me.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
MdKnightR

In my first play through of KOTOR, I used a double-blade. It was purple most of the game until I found the Heart of the Guardian crystal. The next play through, I used a long and a short. By the third play through, I was using single saber all the way.

Now, when TSL came out, I used my switch-out slots for different things. Sometimes I'd use one for single and the other for double blades so I could change on the fly. Other times I'd switch between saber and blaster.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I used 2 sabers through K1, and 2 sabers through most of TSL. My switch-out slot had blasters for those occasions when I felt I might need a ranged item. I almost never used them, however. I hate using blasters.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
I always use single-blade sabers, and most of my party members do. In fact, the only exception across both games is the Handmaiden - saberstaff. I'm something of a traditionalist.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Yes, but do you use 1 or 2 single-blade sabers?

Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #14
JCarter426

One saber has more style, but two sabers have more punch. Though sometimes I restrict myself to just one saber in K2, to make things a bit tougher. And I almost always give the party members only one saber each, with the exception of Brianna and Bao-dur (if I've even bothered to make him a Jedi), who get double-bladed sabers. Hey, they get next to nothing for Force points, so they deserve two blades. And Bao-dur can't even use most of the better powers.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I always use a single saber on K2... Green single blade... Luke RotJ style

K1, single blade and Mantle of the Force blade.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #16
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
Yes, but do you use 1 or 2 single-blade sabers?
Only one, always.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
I sometimes do just because it makes me feel more like a real Jedi, but I usually use two.
That makes two of us.

And I usually stick with one saber if I haven't mastered Dual Wielding yet.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
luckyariot
Rookie

I like using one lightsaber. Everyone having a saberstaff or two lightsabers just seems less realistic... considering circumstances in K2 especially. Not that I don't mind if a character has a different blade style, it does mix things up a bit, but some people take the opportunity a little too eagerly.

As stated before, I'd be much more worried about the problems with the blasters... Atton, you don't need to run up to the guy to shoot him and miss... and HE'S GOT A LIGHTSABER, NO! MOVE! ... (sniff) Why?...
luckyariot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

Personally I use two, in both games. One used for attacks, the other for defense, well blaster deflection, with some hitting ability in the deflector one. Usually that comes, in TSL, the energy cells. Seems to me that one saber, no matter if it's a single or double blade, isn't quite as good, to me, you may end up trying to do too much with a single blade, and getting defeated in the details.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
haemonculus
Rookie

I use single sabers most of the time and for most of the party-members. I even edited the npc files for making them more effective at using 1 saber.
I just think it fits the whole Star Wars-theme better esp. for lightsiders.
haemonculus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
greggomonkey
Rookie

Current Game: Kotor
I never EVER use more than one saber I'm just like it like that.

Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
―Darth Malak
greggomonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
I've used double-blade and 2 single-blades a couple times, but I usually go with normal single-bladed saber. Like others have said, it just feels more like Star Wars that way.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #23
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Anyone know why most navy aircraft have two engines? Reliability!

Two lightsabers are always better than one... you could chose to use only one if you're not skilled enough to use both. Two lightsabers are twice as much as one... why is this even in debate?!

I can understand that one is easier, but learning to use two is even better.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #24
Burnseyy
Forumite

Can I ask something?
Why is it more star wars to have a single lightsaber? o.0
The first Jedi in KOTOR you meet has a double saber... and thats the old republic

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #25
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
How many double-bladed sabers were there in episodes IV, V, and VI?

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #26
Burnseyy
Forumite

that was because they were the first films out. :P they probably just didn't think of it, or perhaps it was cheaper to do without.

either way, double is juust as star wars as single. I mean, what else is a double saber? Harry Potter?

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #27
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Most people don't realize it, but the saberstaff is truly the worst saber to wield. If anyone has ever take REAL martial arts that used the bow staff, then you would realize that NONE of them would work with a saberstaff. You can't get the same leverage or use the same techniques if you can't touch the energy blades. You may not realize it, but the staff becomes very difficult to use if your hands can't be more than 18 inches apart. I would emphasize a single saber more than the staff... no matter how well it can be handled.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #28
Meowster

Current Game: New Vegas/KotOR
Is there anything wrong with double-wielding staffs? That's what I use.
Meowster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #29
Corinthian
Banned

Unfortunately, Yuthura, video games rarely use real-world physics.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
haemonculus
Rookie

saberstaffs are very tricky to defend with, as mentioned above because the hilt itself is a very obvious target for attackers. and with duals sabers you would have serious problems to defend against heavy blows. so both dual-bladed variants are more offensive weapons than anything else, whereas the jedi's lightsaber should mainly protect him. its a weapon for self-defense.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #31
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
Most people don't realize it, but the saberstaff is truly the worst saber to wield. If anyone has ever take REAL martial arts that used the bow staff, then you would realize that NONE of them would work with a saberstaff. You can't get the same leverage or use the same techniques if you can't touch the energy blades. You may not realize it, but the staff becomes very difficult to use if your hands can't be more than 18 inches apart. I would emphasize a single saber more than the staff... no matter how well it can be handled.
Yuthura, you do realize that all the fighting in Episode I is based on "REAL martial arts", right? And that Ray Park - Darth Maul - has a black belt in wushu, which he incorporated heavily into his fight scenes in TPM?

And although the hilt is an "obvious target" when wielding a staff saber, there are weaknesses to all the styles, each with their own obvious target. These targets may not be quite as visual, but they exist none the less. A single saber may have a tougher time balancing offense and defense, and while two sabers allows one to focus on defense and one to focus on offense, neither will be as effective as a focused single blade would be. A weakness in form may not be obvious to all, but it can be far more vulnerable when facing a skilled opponent. I am just trying to say, don't be so quick to say that staff saber is the worst to wield.

On topic, I use whatever I decide I want to use at the beginning of that play through. My last file was a single saber guardian/weaponmaster. My first time playing TSL I used the saber staff with a guardian/marauder. I generally use a single blade with consular types, and two sabers with sentinel types. But I have used a single hilt with all the classes. It's my favorite, just for style.

Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
IIRC, the novel Darth Bane: Path of Destruction has a lightsaber combat trainer who explains that the staff saber's only true advantages are that:

1. Most people are not trained to duel with wielders of staff lightsabers, automatically making them more difficult to combat.

2. If a person trains well enough to use a staff saber effectively, then that person is going to be a total badass whether they use the staff saber or not.

...and that aside from those two, the staff saber in the end is fundamentally not all that different from a regular one.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #33
haemonculus
Rookie

Staffs in MA are somewhat more flexible than a saberstaff. with a wooden staff you can vary where you grab it, altering balance / attack-range and so on. And not to forget you can easily parry blows with the middle section of the staff.
And as i said before canonically most jedi consider dual sabers, and saberstaffs unnessecarily aggressive tools as a single lightsaber offers equal if not better defence and enough deadly potential, so there is no need to further enhance this.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feagildin View Post
Yuthura, you do realize that all the fighting in Episode I is based on "REAL martial arts", right? And that Ray Park - Darth Maul - has a black belt in wushu, which he incorporated heavily into his fight scenes in TPM?
I am very well aware of that. I was taught by an instructor that worked with Ray Parks at one time. I could assure anyone that there is a drastic change that comes when you can't allow any most of the staff to touch the user. If Ray Parks had to use a bow staff in the same he way he used a saberstaff... his performance would drastically diminish. If you asked Ray Parks, himself, he would tell you that the saberstaff was not nearly as effective in practice as in hollywood.

A bow staff vs. katanna would be another case.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #35
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Since I've completely disregarded the point of this thread, I'll just say one last thing...

A lightsaber is a weapon! No matter how it is used, it's always destructive. Although jedi use it to protect the innocent, it still boils down to the fact that they carry a lethal weapon. There is no 'defensive only' use for a weapon such as a lightsaber. Doesn't it seem the least bit ironic that the symbol of the jedi is a deadly weapon? Has anyone ever thought just how hypocritical that is?

If anyone speaks of two sabers or saberstaff as being for offensive purposes, then you should not forget the single saber as well... they are all lethal! If anyone complains about two sabers as being offensive, then that would mean you are for NO weapons at all... or non-lethal weapons. I'd be more for those than one lightsaber.

Last edited by Darth_Yuthura; 07-30-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #36
Burnseyy
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
IIRC, the novel Darth Bane: Path of Destruction has a lightsaber combat trainer who explains that the staff saber's only true advantages are that:

1. Most people are not trained to duel with wielders of staff lightsabers, automatically making them more difficult to combat.

2. If a person trains well enough to use a staff saber effectively, then that person is going to be a total badass whether they use the staff saber or not.

...and that aside from those two, the staff saber in the end is fundamentally not all that different from a regular one.
you're right, there isn't much difference. I always chose single in K1, but double in K2. Not sure why. Maybe it was because I was always 'most like a sentinel' and didn't want to look like Bastila

Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
My main character in both games is always a single-blade wielder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #38
Corinthian
Banned

Yeah, I've always wondered why the Jedi don't bother to issue their men blasters and train them in their use, given that most blasters pack a stun setting.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #39
Fredi
El Guapo

I always use one single blade lightsaber, if not I then use the double-blade but most of times the single blade ... I don't like using two lightsabers

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #40
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Double-Bladed all the way. You just can't beat the coolness factor of it, 2 lightsabers just looks crap in my opinion, single is alright, but it doesn't really matter, you usually kill opponents in the same number of hits anyway.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > So, any single saber wielder users here???