lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Reven or Exile?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Burnseyy
Forumite

Reven or Exile?

So, I don't know how to start a poll. >_> yes, I'm a noobie.
but, here we go.

who was your favourite lead character? Reven or the Exile? which one had a better story?

personally, I think Reven was the better character, because the mission was so much more fun than the Exile's
Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Melly

I prefer the Exile. I just like her story better because it's more personal. She's searching for the truth about herself, and putting the past to rest.

"They may not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me you are. It's not the sort of thing you just stop being. You're stuck with it. Just like you're stuck being the General."
~Bao-Dur, The Sith Lords
Melly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
JCarter426

Agreed.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
spoiler:
I'd say the Exile. The fact that he/she is a wound in the force puts a very interesting weight on the character.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Another vote for the Jedi Exile.

One, he/she is more interesting, with a better backstory and in fan fiction, very easy to write for.

Two, s/he's not a sterotypical Sith Lord like Revan is.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Sure she is. She's just not written as one very often.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Kilppari
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnseyy View Post
So, I don't know how to start a poll. >_> yes, I'm a noobie.
but, here we go.

who was your favourite lead character? Reven or the Exile? which one had a better story?

personally, I think Reven was the better character, because the mission was so much more fun than the Exile's
Yeah, it was pretty cool to go after Star Maps and find out that you are former Sith Lord in K1, but the Exile gets my vote.
Why? As already stated there is more depht in her background and story. Exile's journey is about herself and hers past while Revan's who is going after Star Maps.
Kilppari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
My favorite lead character would probably have to be Revan, and the one with the overall better story would have to be The Exile. I guess that you could say that I am spilt between the two.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Revan. For he/she's way too boasted on the series to not be the favorite.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
Venom750
Veteran

Mine would be Revan cause it was far more engaging and worthwhile and found it to be so much better than the Exiles

I not paranoid it's everyone else

Venom750 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
DISTURBED 1
Rookie

My votes on revan.

Personally, I have to disagree with anybody who says his story isn't deep enough. Now, sure if you take just the information that you got from the game, I can see it. But if you read all the outside sources, I feel like revan definitely wins.

Just the fact that {SPOILER ALERT} :: he most likely made the conscious choice to become a dark lord in order to strengthen the republic, versus actually destroying it, and doing so to defend against the true sith, is amazing.

That, and come on......he built HK-47, and programmed him to call Malak a meatbag.
How freaking AWESOME is that?!!

"The Pillsbury Doughboy demeans the value of the Holocaust, because every time you stick him in the oven, he just giggles about it!"
DISTURBED 1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Ravnas
Rookie

I'm not even going to explain why I like The Exile better, I've already been in this same argument on a another forum.

Regrets are for horseshoes and handbags.
Ravnas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #13
vodrev21
Lurker

I'm gonna have to say revan due to the fact you got to know more about him and he looked pretty bad ass. Dont get me wrong i liked the exile but i felt his/her story was still largely unexplained.
vodrev21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
JCarter426

Er...we don't learn about Revan at all in K1, and only second-hand rumor in K2.

99% of K2 was about the Exile's past, and how it shaped the person that they are, how it influences their decisions in the game. As far as character development goes, Exile beats Revan by a long shot, and has a past that isn't muddled in tall tales.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I think the Exile is a far better charachter, I also prefer TSL story. I think the Exile is better in terms of personalisation as others have said, and the Exile is definatly a chrachter I can relate too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Er...we don't learn about Revan at all in K1, and only second-hand rumor in K2.

99% of K2 was about the Exile's past, and how it shaped the person that they are, how it influences their decisions in the game. As far as character development goes, Exile beats Revan by a long shot, and has a past that isn't muddled in tall tales.
Begun, the fanboy wars have...

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Revan over Exile all day, My complete hatred of Avellones idea of Star Wars pulls me out of the game, so I cant fully comment on Exiles story. Revan has little backstory, but what we found out and the way Bioware showed me this fits with exactly what I hoped for in a game and a Star Wars story. I try to learn about Exile but the triumvirate keep popping up and taking me to some kind of zombie, Greek myth pantomime... It's amazing that my 3 least favorite characters of all time are in the same game lol

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
DISTURBED 1
Rookie

[QUOTE=JCarter426;2472826]Er...we don't learn about Revan at all in K1, and only second-hand rumor in K2. [QUOTE]

Ummm....no offense intended, but........seriously? Are you high or something?? You learn a lot about Revan. Unless you just skipped all the dialogue.

"The Pillsbury Doughboy demeans the value of the Holocaust, because every time you stick him in the oven, he just giggles about it!"
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED 1 View Post
Ummm....no offense intended, but........seriously? Are you high or something?? You learn a lot about Revan. Unless you just skipped all the dialogue.
While I think JC may have slightly exaggerated, how much DO you learn about Revan?

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
JCarter426

Not much. We know that he became Dark Lord of the Sith, underestimated Malak, wound up captured by the Jedi, brainwashed, and eventually defeated Malak. That's it. Revan's motives, goals, desires? Nada. In K1 we learn absolutely nothing about Revan other than he/she was a hero of the Republic-turned Sith Lord. And in K2 we just get vague impressions from people that either didn't know him (Mical, G0-T0, Atton), or were too close to be unbiased (Kreia, Canderous, the Council).

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I personally can't abide the balderdash about Revan "choosing" the dark side and "staying true to her/himself".

Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
JCarter426

That's what I'm talking about; Kreia says that's how it was, but Kreia probably doesn't want to admit that her student was a failure (which she does if the Exile falls as well, but that's another matter).

Old 06-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
DISTURBED 1
Rookie

But its always a possibility, isn't it? After all, if you start reading the KotOR comics, you see what happened to him before he became the Lord of the Sith. Also, the guy is way more intellegent than you are giving him credit for. And I never said anything about staying true to himself, I simply pointed out an opposing argument, derived from outside sources other then the game, pertaining to the idea that it is possible that Revan chose to do what he did until a certain point, which would have been his ultimate corruption from the dark side.

As for the willpower and intellegence part, might I remind you how he sneakily made sure that Malak didn't know the entire plan? That he only attacked worlds that didn't ultimately matter to the Republic? Oh, and the fact that he knew what would happen when he scattered the Mandalorians. Because of him, they stayed as seperated, un-honorable mercenaries until about 50 or 60 years before Vader and Palpatine destroyed the Republic.

And I will point the fact that, like I said earlier, you have to read stuff from outside the game. So yes, on a strictly in-game basis, you don't get to know much about him, unless you're getting really philisophical, like I was. I always find his shift in personalities so intriguing; and it just gets better when he actually finds out who he was.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED 1 View Post
But its always a possibility, isn't it?
No. Just the fantasy of a remorseful woman.

But I see what you're getting at. Yes, Revan did "choose" the dark side, instead of falling unintentionally like Malak. But there's a difference between that interpretation and Kreia's; Revan did fall, choice or no.

Quote:
After all, if you start reading the KotOR comics, you see what happened to him before he became the Lord of the Sith.
Eh...not really. All we see is that he's some faceless figure that fights the Mandalorians. Well, we already knew that from K1.[/quote]

Also, the guy is way more intellegent than you are giving him credit for.[/quote]
I haven't commented on his intelligence at all.

Quote:
As for the willpower and intellegence part, might I remind you how he sneakily made sure that Malak didn't know the entire plan? That he only attacked worlds that didn't ultimately matter to the Republic? Oh, and the fact that he knew what would happen when he scattered the Mandalorians. Because of him, they stayed as seperated, un-honorable mercenaries until about 50 or 60 years before Vader and Palpatine destroyed the Republic.
Eh...we don't really know that; we're given in K2 various opinions from people who, as I said before, either didn't know Revan or knew him too much to be unbiased. Not saying none of it's true, just that we don't know it. The developers of K2 really worked to make Revan into some living legend, so of course he has a bit of a mystery to him. And other authors' portrayals are pretty much the same. Unfortunately, that means we don't really know many things about him.

Quote:
And I will point the fact that, like I said earlier, you have to read stuff from outside the game.
Eh...there aren't really any other sources. I haven't read the Bane novels, but from what I have read (the Revan holocron bit), it's pretty much the same.

Quote:
So yes, on a strictly in-game basis, you don't get to know much about him, unless you're getting really philisophical, like I was. I always find his shift in personalities so intriguing; and it just gets better when he actually finds out who he was.
Ah, here we go. This is what I like to call the threshold between Revan and "my Revan" (or your Revan, in this case ). You really have to just use your immagination to fill in the blanks. Before I was talking about the canonical Revan, that is, the aspects of the character that are universal, because they're facts, not opinions. So, you might know a lot about your Revan, but that doesn't mean we know much about Revan Revan. (Though, from the sound of it, your Revan is a lot like mine. )

Oh, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Begun, the fanboy wars have...
Didn't see that before.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
DISTURBED 1
Rookie

[Quote] Eh...there aren't really any other sources. I haven't read the Bane novels, but from what I have read (the Revan holocron bit), it's pretty much the same. [Quote]

My source is Wookieepedia. All hail its glory.

I guess I go a bit overboard on Revan.....I always pictured him as a 3,800+ years earlier version of Anakin Skywalker. Which sorta makes sense, to me at least. He likes to tinker with mechanical stuff, he built a droid, he is one of the few to reach the heights of sith power and come back to the light side, he's supposedly a really good lightsaber duelist, and he races swoopbikes. Maybe this is all just in my head, but I say that makes him awesome.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #25
Litofsky
Galaxial

This is a tough one. I've played both game, although I found the plot from KotOR One a bit more... intriguing. Why? Here:

1) From the beginning, you are hinted at having 'Force Powers,' (after all, what's a Star Wars game without the Force?) but you never really discover the depth of your abilities until Dantooine.

2) While with the Jedi Council on Dantooine, you have the feeling that they know something you don't, and almost reveal it at a few points. *Cough*Master Vrook*Cough*

3) You attempt to search for the Star Maps, while completing various side-quests. While you can do this in the Second KotOR, I enjoyed the first one's much more (it's just a personal preference).

4)
spoiler:
After you find out you're Revan, it adds almost a new layer to the story: Irony. You've been following in your own footsteps for quite some time now, and you have been traveling with the very same Jedi that caused your 're-programming' in the first place. That's what I call a relationship killer. :P Also, slaughtering Malak at the end brought a bit of closure. Maybe it was the fact that Revan got revenge, or that he was finally gone. Good riddance, too, if I may add!

Case and point (in my opinion ).
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #26
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I personally thought that Vrook nearly spilling the beans almost ruined it. The other hints were ok, but they were just overdoing it when they wrote Vrook's lines in.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #27
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Not much. We know that he became Dark Lord of the Sith, underestimated Malak, wound up captured by the Jedi, brainwashed, and eventually defeated Malak. That's it. Revan's motives, goals, desires? Nada. In K1 we learn absolutely nothing about Revan other than he/she was a hero of the Republic-turned Sith Lord. And in K2 we just get vague impressions from people that either didn't know him (Mical, G0-T0, Atton), or were too close to be unbiased (Kreia, Canderous, the Council).
Well, I can't fully agree with that. You get to choose who Revan really is! That is probably why there really isn't a whole lot of information on him. You get to choose who Revan is (personality I guess, light/darkside...).

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #28
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Well, I can't fully agree with that. You get to choose who Revan really is! That is probably why there really isn't a whole lot of information on him. You get to choose who Revan is (personality I guess, light/darkside...).
No, no, no, no, no, no, no! It's not like that at all, because...

You don't get to choose who your PC in K1 is. Your PC is Revan. That's it. Once Malak tells you you're Revan, that's who you are. Problem is, we don't know who Revan was, so there's really not much of an impact if you already know (either because you figured it out or if you've played before). There isn't much character development for the PC because the PC isn't a real person. Malak basically tells you "you don't exist". And in K1 we got nothing on who Revan was, not even biased opinions. We get that in K2, so if you play K1 again after playing K2, it might mean something a bit more.

Now, take the Exile. We know who the Exile was. She went against the Council to fight the Mandalorians, did some rather terrible things in the war, and wound up losing her connection to the Force, and afterwards was exiled. Who the Exile was is mostly set in stone; there are a few player choices involved, but for the most part the player is told who the Exile was. Like how the player is told they were Revan. Only difference is that we get more info on who the Exile was, and there are more player choices in K2; in K1 the only major choices were light/dark and romance/no romance.

So while Revan is Revan always, and we don't get much info on Revan (not even until K2, presumably after you've played K1), in K2, who the Exile becomes is up to the player. Their pasts are equally set in stone, however, except that we learn about both pasts in K2, and the Exile's has more detail since K2 is more about the Exile than Revan.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #29
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Their pasts are equally set in stone, however, except that we learn about both pasts in K2, and the Exile's has more detail since K2 is more about the Exile than Revan.
Not entirely. The Exile's actions are set in stone, but the reasoning for them is up to the player to decide. There's more than a few dialogues where NPCs ask 'why did you go back and face trial?' 'Why did you join in the Mandalorian Wars?' and other such similar questions.

Despite the Exile not being as disconnected from their past as Revan was, I thought s/he could be personalized far more than Revan was. Yes, you get to determine who s/he becomes like in KotOR I, but unlike with Revan you also get to choose who s/he was. It's a definitely an overlooked part of the game (but then again, most of TSL's best elements were very heavily veiled).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #30
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon View Post
Yes, you get to determine who (the Exile) becomes like in KotOR I, but unlike with Revan you also get to choose who s/he was. It's a definitely an overlooked part of the game (but then again, most of TSL's best elements were very heavily veiled).
Yes. This happens to be one of my favorite features of TSL, and it's one of several things that sets it apart from KotOR1.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #31
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, no, no! It's not like that at all, because... <snip>
I thought this may be of interest to everyone;

http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarsk...chronicles.php

Particularly Part IX: Darth Revan Rising.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #32
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Revan and K1, hands down. I very much liked TSL and the Exile, but both are well behind K1 and Revan, IMO. I read all the posts voting for the Exile, and I don't necessarily disagree with them; but Revan's character is much more intriguing to me.

Additionally, it seems as though Revan's character is much more polarizing as well. It's either devoted fanboy or "not enough backstory". The Exile often falls some where in between, it seems.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
A very good quality for a character to have, no?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #34
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Which one - being polarizing or being somewhere in between?

I believe being polarizing is a very good quality for a character to have.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #35
Burnseyy
Forumite

hmm, perhaps its because i played KOTOR 2 first, and KOTOR 1 second >.>
but i knew more about Revan when i played KOTOR 1, because of this.
but I have to agree with the person who said the side missions are more personal. the ones in KOTOR2 are so cliche and 'i love my friends' or whatever!

i do agree KOTOR2s storyline was better, but it was so weirdly confusing and had loads of mistakes in it, for it to be considered as good as KOTOR1.

All in all, i think Revan was the best, because you don't know who he is, until the end, and thats a real :O what?!
however, as the exile, you know who everyone is. i mean, there's kreia, but thats SOO obvious what she is.

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #36
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Kreia being a Sith isn't supposΞd to be a secret, so you can't really say that it being obvious is an error.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #37
MacTavish

I like the exile more, but if he hadnt had gone into hiding during the Jedi Civil War \/\/
spoiler:
would he have had a big influence on the outcome since he was a wound in the force?
And it's interesting how much the story changes by putting Revan as a woman and playing the exile as a man, or vice versa.

MacTavish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #38
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Exile, cause Revans "I'm doing it for the greater good, and just to make it interesting, I'll play Russian roulette at the same time" thing didn't make much sence to me.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #39
Lord Foley

I think the Exile is a much deeper character and the overall plot of the second game is more interesting, though I don't think you can hold it against Revan for having little personality or backstory, seeing as his mind was erased.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #40
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
My vote is for the Exile. S/he has a stronger personality and a much more defined past. I could not sympathize with Revan because he ultimately became the Dark Lord. The Exile has been through much more and has good reason to choose the DS. I could understand why the Council were the 'bad guys.' It's not that they're evil, but so arrogant that they're dangerous.

I like the Exile because I could respect the person she was. Although Revan was a leader, I didn't like him as much as Characters with a tragic past. The greatest jedi are not Bastila, Revan, Vandar, or Vrook. They are Juhani, Yuthura Ban, and the Exile.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > Reven or Exile?