lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Prove that jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #161
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS
The History of Creation
Quote snipped for brevity ~ET.
They are words from a book written by humans. Any one of those sentences could have changed over time and you would follow those words entirely.

“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all[b] the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

to

“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let he be equal to the fish of the sea, to the the birds of the air, and to the cattle, and to all[b] the earth and to every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

If that was written in the bible today, you would believe the second verse entirely. See where I am going with this?

The fact is your argument falls back on itself. There is no evidence that Genesis was ever looked over by a historian or a scientist. I can read it, but I don't care who wrote it. The entire thing still reads like a fairy tale.

In fact, go read Harry Potter. It says there are wizards among us. Go ahead, try and read it like a well known historian wrote it.

Harry was prophesied to destroy the devil and unite the world together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS
Humor me real quick, and read this passage from the NKJV of the Bible of creation if this was real, you tell me if God exists...and read it all, it will make sense later...
Want to know the amusing thing? The very point you just tried to make destroys your entire argument because it contradicts everything you have said.

The thing is, you -do- read it like a history book. You actually need us to use our imagination and pretend like it is real? My boy, that is entirely what the point of these religion debates are about. Those of us that have grounds in reality see that long bible page to be a fairy tale.

You see it as a history book. Thus you have gotten to the center of this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but what makes you any different from the rest of us?
Good question. You can go ahead and look at your own beliefs, at the beliefs of M@RS, and then at my avatar to get your answer.

Being told a sin is going to get you into hell is very much different to being told who you are as a person gets you a ticket to hell.

And I have a question for you. How is someone of a different belief system any different than you? Why would god make those distinctions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac
I do believe you just called the bible a work of fiction.
Quoted for this topic.

Last edited by True_Avery; 06-26-2008 at 01:16 AM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #162
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
I do believe you just called the bible a work of fiction.
Nope no at all, that's what you think it is...I was just saying what you were thinking, that's all

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #163
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
read this passage from the NKJV of the Bible of creation if this was real, you tell me if God exists...
...So if we read the Bible under the assumption that it is correct...we will believe what the Bible tells us?

I am hoping that you can see why one would call this kind of logic 'circular'.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #164
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Nope no at all, that's what you think it is...I was just saying what you were thinking, that's all
No, you said, "Just humor (sic) and read it like it's a real account of history".

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #165
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Hmm, I believe this is called circular logic.

EDIT: Ah, ET got it before me.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #166
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Good question. You can go ahead and look at your own beliefs, at the beliefs of M@RS, and then at my avatar to get your answer.
Okay, thank you for answering my question.
Quote:
Being told a sin is going to get you into hell is very much different to being told who you are as a person gets you a ticket to hell.
It is ultimately up to you how you live your life. Believe what you want to believe.
Quote:
And I have a question for you. How is someone of a different belief system any different than you? Why would god make those distinctions?
Well, first of all, we would believe in different things. Second, who said that God made these destinctions? Perhaps it was man that did?

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #167
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Okay, thank you for answering my question.
Thanks for replying

Quote:
It is ultimately up to you how you live your life. Believe what you want to believe.
Very true

Quote:
Well, first of all, we would believe in different things. Second, who said that God made these distinctions? Perhaps it was man that did?
Thanks for the answer
Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #168
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Your welcome.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #169
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Believe what you want to believe.
No. Not at all. Believe what makes sense to believe.

Quote:
Well, first of all, we would believe in different things.
Is one of those things better than the other? Clearly you think so or else you wouldn't hold a different belief. This isn't targeted specifically at you, as it is true for 95% of everybody.

I suppose that having some objective, rational discussion about beliefs might have some benefit, eh?

Quote:
Second, who said that God made these destinctions? Perhaps it was man that did?
If there is no god, then it would certainly illuminate that it was precisely mankind that created them.

If there is a god, then we have to consider all sorts of uncomfortable questions like why couldn't he make a simple set of instructions that we could all understand (or better yet, why couldn't he create a race of man complex enough to understand them)? Why hasn't he corrected us? Why hasn't he shown one set of beliefs more favoritism than others? Etc, etc.

Darth Insidious asked me about Occam's Razor in Kavar's Corner earlier today and I think this is a prime example of how it should be applied.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #170
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
If there is a god, then we have to consider all sorts of uncomfortable questions like why couldn't he make a simple set of instructions that we could all understand (or better yet, why couldn't he create a race of man complex enough to understand them)? Why hasn't he corrected us? Why hasn't he shown one set of beliefs more favoritism than others? Etc, etc.
He wouldn't exactly be God if mankind understood him would he, say you created a species, would you want that species to understand you, it would look pretty weird if the creation was smarter that the creator...you wouldn't look like a powerful person

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #171
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
He wouldn't exactly be God if mankind understood him would he,
He's allegedly all powerful. If that's true then it's completely reasonable that could create a species capable of understanding him.

If he didn't want us to understand him, then what purpose does the bible serve? Why do we have the ability to reason if he didn't want us to use it? Et cetera.

Quote:
say you created a species, would you want that species to understand you,
Yes, absolutely I would. Why wouldn't I (unless I was some power-hungry god that got cheap thrills from lording over the beings that I created to be fawn over me). Doesn't sound like a god worth believing in.

Quote:
it would look pretty weird if the creation was smarter that the creator...
Who said anything about "smarter"?

Quote:
you wouldn't look like a powerful person
I don't think I'd look like a kind, loving person either.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #172
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
"Different strokes for different folks."

Quote:
Is one of those things better than the other? Clearly you think so or else you wouldn't hold a different belief. This isn't targeted specifically at you, as it is true for 95% of everybody.
Example: You go to a resturant and order a hamburger, while your friend orders a salad. You argue over which one is better. Opinions, my friend.

Quote:
If there is a god, then we have to consider all sorts of uncomfortable questions like why couldn't he make a simple set of instructions that we could all understand (or better yet, why couldn't he create a race of man complex enough to understand them)?
And He hasn't already? I think that they are pretty simple.

Quote:
Why hasn't he corrected us? Why hasn't he shown one set of beliefs more favoritism than others? Etc, etc.
Who said that He has to? We make our own decisions on what we believe.

Quote:
Darth Insidious asked me about Occam's Razor in Kavar's Corner earlier today and I think this is a prime example of how it should be applied.
Well, I will have to go check it out.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #173
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
"Different strokes for different folks."
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

I can play too. We are playing "ignore the point by responding with tired cliches" right? What else ya got?

Quote:
Example: You go to a resturant and order a hamburger, while your friend orders a salad. You argue over which one is better. Opinions, my friend.
That's a fine example if you're telling me that you see world-views as completely arbitrary and devoid of any deeper significance.

My argument (sticking with the example) is that if we're going to have a serious discussion about nutrition, we should probably leave the taste tests at home.

Quote:
And He hasn't already? I think that they are pretty simple.
Dead giveaway that you haven't actually read the bible

Quote:
Who said that He has to? We make our own decisions on what we believe.
Nobody says he has to. The fact that he doesn't means that the hypothesis doesn't make any sense. Again, if the whole thing is arbitary (as you seem to be emphatically arguing here), then why even care? Why are you in this thread if the decision is really meaningless as you say? Why argue for one side over the other if you really think that it doesn't matter?

Quote:
Well, I will have to go check it out.
Okay.

Last edited by Achilles; 06-26-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #174
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:

I can play too. We are playing "ignore the point by responding with tired cliches" right? What else ya got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I am believing in what makes sense to believe. I'm sure that you think that I am still ignoring the point, right?

Quote:
That's a fine example if you're telling me that you see world-views as completely arbitrary and devoid of any deeper signifince.
It was an example, Achilles.

Quote:
Dead giveaway that you haven't actually read the bible
Hmmmm.

I have.

Quote:
Nobody says he has to. The fact that he doesn't means that the hypothesis doesn't make any sense. Again, if the whole thing is arbitary (as you seem to be emphatically arguing here), then why even care? Why are you in this thread if the decision is really meaningless as you say? Why argue for one side over the other if you really think that it doesn't matter?
It does matter. I gave an EXAMPLE, Achilles. An example. I was talking about us (as well as people in general) having different opinions. You say that yours is true, and I say that mine is true.

He cannot force us to believe in Him. Well He could, but He doesn't.

Okay.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #175
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
It does matter. I gave an EXAMPLE, Achilles. An example. I was talking about us (as well as people in general) having different opinions. You say that yours is true, and I say that mine is true.
Only it isn't a matter of opinion. One of you is right, the other is wrong. There is a god or there isn't. There's no grey area there. For ****'s sake, haven't you seen Highlander?

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #176
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I am believing in what makes sense to believe.
No you're not. You're believing what you choose to believe. Just like you asserted in post #166.

There is no "good reason" believe in god (or any gods for that matter) because there is no evidence for his (her/their) existence. Therefore it does not make sense to believe that.

Quote:
I'm sure that you think that I am still ignoring the point, right?
No, you're not ignoring it here. I think you may be missing it, but that isn't the same thing

Quote:
It was an example, Achilles.
I got that it was an example. If you are now stating that the example doesn't represent the argument you were trying to make, then I think it's safe to say that it was a bad one.

Quote:
Hmmmm.

I have.
Really? All of it or just the parts you were instructed to in seminary? Were you ever encouraged to think about what was being said, or was a pastor spoon-feeding his analysis to you?

Because if you had read the bible, you would know that god's rules are not simple. They are complicated and frequently contradictory. What's more, god is routinely seen breaking his own rules, which makes the whole "credibility" thing a little difficult to ignore.

Quote:
No sir. The existence of god is not a matter of opinion. Jmac addresses this below so I won't repeat her point.

Quote:
He cannot force us to believe in Him. Well He could, but He doesn't.
Nobody said anything about forcing either. I would encourage you to take a look (REALLY take a look) at how this whole thing work and ask yourself honestly if any of it makes any sense AT ALL.

God created the universe.

In this universe he creates hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

Around each of these stars he places planets.

On one of these planets he places living things.

On this planet he also places a couple of trees and tells his creations not to eat from one of them (even though he could have put the tree anywhere else, made the tree produce something other than fruit, put huge-ass electrical fence or big wall around it, etc).

One day the devil shows up (who made him? God did. But technically how Satan turned out wasn't god's fault because Satan got pridefull. But who made pride? God? Let's ignore that and go back to Satan's choice. Wait, choice? Choice means free will. I thought only humans had free will? Stop asking so many questions.)

The devil (which god is not responsible for) tricks Eve (who god is not responsible for) into eating from the forbidden tree (which god is not responsible for), which results in Adam and Eve breaking god's rule (which he is not responsible for).

So now god has to punish them (wonder why. He's god. Doesn't he get to make the rules?)

So punish them he does for a very long time and in various ways until he's decided not to punish them any more (I guess our infinitely benevolent god needed some time to cool off or something).

God decided that in order for him not to be mad anymore, he has to transform (part of?) himself into a man, then arrange for that man (himself?) to be tortured and brutally killed (suicide?) so that mankind (his creation) can be forgiven (via his rules) for original sin (which he not only orchestrated but allowed to happen).

Really?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #177
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
I'm a pastor's son so I can't really get my hands on acid
Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Quote:
Well it's nice that you at least admit that you pulled your arguments out of nowhere. Thanks for getting the fact that you lied to win an internet argument off your chest.
Too bad he admitted it by accident and will now do nothing to correct his process in the future.

Quote:
I did not lie, I'm a christian I don't lie, I just said things that weren't relevant that's all...
What the f*ck? I take that back. THIS is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
EVERYBODY LIES! Don't you watch House?

God almighty in heaven - only Jesus is without sin, mofo. If you don't know that, go stab yourself in the eye with a knife. I mean, seriously. I'm a Christian, and I lie every ****ing day.

Quote:
Speaking of House:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory House, MD
Foreman: "Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is always the best."
House: "And you think one is simpler than two."
Cameron: "Pretty sure it is, yeah."
House: "Baby shows up. Chase tells you that two people exchanged fluids to create this being. I tell you that one stork dropped the little tyke off in a diaper. You going to go with the two or the one?
Quote:

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is what I have right now.

F*ck me senseless.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #178
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
Quote:
Really? All of it or just the parts you were instructed to in seminary? Were you ever encouraged to think about what was being said, or was a pastor spoon-feeding his analysis to you?
Just for the record, I haven't been to 'church' in several months. To tell you the truth, I (my family) hardly ever goes to 'church'. I read the Bible quite frequently. You don't have to go to 'church' to be a christian. I make my own "analysis" BTW.
Quote:
God created the universe.

In this universe he creates hundreds of billions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

Around each of these stars he places planets.

On one of these planets he places living things.

On this planet he also places a couple of trees and tells his creations not to eat from one of them (even though he could have put the tree anywhere else, made the tree produce something other than fruit, put huge-ass electrical fence or big wall around it, etc).

One day the devil shows up (who made him? God did. But technically how Satan turned out wasn't god's fault because Satan got pridefull. But who made pride? God? Let's ignore that and go back to Satan's choice. Wait, choice? Choice means free will. I thought only humans had free will? Stop asking so many questions.)

The devil (which god is not responsible for) tricks Eve (who god is not responsible for) into eating from the forbidden tree (which god is not responsible for), which results in Adam and Eve breaking god's rule (which he is not responsible for).

So now god has to punish them (wonder why. He's god. Doesn't he get to make the rules?)

So punish them he does for a very long time and in various ways until he's decided not to punish them any more (I guess our infinitely benevolent god needed some time to cool off or something).

God decided that in order for him not to be mad anymore, he has to transform (part of?) himself into a man, then arrange for that man (himself?) to be tortured and brutally killed (suicide?) so that mankind (his creation) can be forgiven (via his rules) for original sin (which he not only orchestrated but allowed to happen).

Really?
I find it a lot easier to believe than that everything happened by chance and that something came from nothing.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #179
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Just for the record, I haven't been to 'church' in several months. To tell you the truth, I (my family) hardly ever goes to 'church'. I read the Bible quite frequently. You don't have to go to 'church' to be a christian. I make my own "analysis" BTW.

I find it a lot easier to believe than that everything happened by chance and that something came from nothing.
Only we're not debating what you find easier to believe. We're debating whether or not it's true.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #180
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Helpful! 
I was only answering his question.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #181
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Uh oh.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #182
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I read the Bible quite frequently.
Well in that case then, I have to question whether you're reading for comprehension or simply to say that you're doing it.

Quote:
I make my own "analysis" BTW.
Yet you're still a christian

Quote:
But you already do: you believe in god.

If god gets to exist "outside of time" and all the jazz, then so do the conditions leading up to the big bang. You don't get to have it both ways.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #183
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:

AVERY I HAVE BREAKING NEWS FOR YOU.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor practicing homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." However, the word translated as "homosexual" is used to refer to men and can also be translated as "sodomite".

Leviticus 18:22 says "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination." This has no mention of "woman lying with woman as she does with man".

In short, the Bible allows for the possibility of hot girl-on-girl action and the possibility for it to be videotaped and sold for $19.95 + S&H or sent to me free of charge via Skype.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #184
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
In short, the Bible allows for the possibility of hot girl-on-girl action and the possibility for it to be videotaped and sold for $19.95 + S&H or sent to me free of charge via Skype.
YEA! Those morons guys really knew how to live didn't they?!

What goes at the Last Supper stays at the Last Supper.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #185
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala View Post
YEA! Those morons guys really knew how to live didn't they?!

What goes at the Last Supper stays at the Last Supper.
There's a reason we don't get get to see what's on the opposite side of the room in Da Vinchi's painting.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #186
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Hmm...

Read through this entire thread and, well, there doesn't seem to be any way to prove or disprove the existence or deity of Jesus. Of course I already knew this before I wasted a half an hour of my life reading the thread. It most certainly has provided ample opportunity, however, for people to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that they're either arrogant jackasses, or ******* morons, or a little bit of both.

Thank you, and God bless.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #187
Nedak
Beelzebozo

And how is this sir?

and your comment was a little big arrogant and showed qualities of a jackass.

Just an observation.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #188
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
And how is this sir?
Perhaps I should have said that it could not be proven or disproven at the present time given the fact that, AFAIK, mankind has yet to achieve time travel, which is the only way to prove or disprove an event in human history that happened two thousand years ago. For all we know, all of history could be a lie, and we wouldn't know any differently. If the Bible could be a hoax, is it not possible for all of the secular history books to be as well? In my experience, everyone is so full of crap, why should anyone believe anything that anyone has written? At different times in my life, I've been a believer, an agnostic, a Christian and even a Satanist (the only religion where I was actually true to myself), and through all of that I've managed to come to one inescapeable conclusion: that life is pretty futile and pointless no matter what you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala
and your comment was a little big arrogant and showed qualities of a jackass.

Just an observation.
Just trying to fit in, here.

Only one positive conclusion can be made from this thread: We are all equally full of crap.

(Calmly awaits hot, flaming death)

EDIT: BTW -Has anyone noticed the "Christian Singles" ad on this forum featuring the buxom, bleach-blonde bimbo in a halter top? WTH kind of message are they trying to send?
FORNICATE under command of the king FOR JEEEZUS!!!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 07-03-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #189
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
Hmm...

Read through this entire thread and, well, there doesn't seem to be any way to prove or disprove the existence or deity of Jesus.
That's not true at all.

Regarding the historical Jesus, there are any number of discoveries that if they were to be made, would prove his existence.

As for his divinity, well the creator of the clip featured in the first post has provided a way for us to confirm (or not confirm) that any time we wish.

Quote:
Perhaps I should have said that it could not be proven or disproven at the present time given the fact that, AFAIK, mankind has yet to achieve time travel, which is the only way to prove or disprove an event in human history that happened two thousand years ago.
This seems like a rather peculiar statement to make considering all the other things, both before the time of jesus alleged life and after

Time travel certainly would make it easier to confirm many of the claims made by christianity, however I think that this line of thinking rather misses the point entirely: why do people believe these things now without evidence?

Quote:
For all we know, all of history could be a lie, and we wouldn't know any differently. If the Bible could be a hoax, is it not possible for all of the secular history books to be as well? In my experience, everyone is so full of crap, why should anyone believe anything that anyone has written?
I would agree that it is possible that many (or all) of our history books could be wrong about many things. I think that we should only accept things insofar as we have good reason to. For instance, if we read in a history book about someone named George Washington I imagine that there are certain things that we could look for that would confirm the existence of said person. It also seems to me that the more information we had, the greater the degree of confidence we should have that he was a real person. Furthermore, the more the information corraborated with the other sources we knew about, the more we should feel confident accepting it. And so on.

So if we were to apply this same sort of exercise to someone names Jesus, what do you think would happen? Do we have any contemporary historians that wrote about him? A grave site? Census information? A birth certificate? Testimony from eyewitnesses? Do we have anything that should make us believe with any degree of confidence that a specific person named Jesus ever existed?

I see your point and I agree that we should not be quick to accept anything as "true" too quickly. Just because someone wrote something in a book doesn't mean it's real. But I do also think that we are not blind and helpless to discover things.

Quote:
Only one positive conclusion can be made from this thread: We are all equally full of crap.
Some more than others.

Take care.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #190
Q
The one who knocks

I'll admit that I did not watch the clip, but only because I'm, er, bandwidth challenged.

-Toker
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #191
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
It most certainly has provided ample opportunity, however, for people to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that they're either arrogant jackasses, or ******* morons, or a little bit of both.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #192
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Hmm...

Read through this entire thread and, well, there doesn't seem to be any way to prove or disprove the existence or deity of Jesus. Of course I already knew this before I wasted a half an hour of my life reading the thread. It most certainly has provided ample opportunity, however, for people to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that they're either arrogant jackasses, or ******* morons, or a little bit of both.

Thank you, and God bless.
apparently you missed the most important theological breakthrough of the century mainly that god and/or jesus is a fan of hot, wet girl-on-girl action

Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #193
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
and that again leads us to the concept of Trinity, girl-on-girl-on...dong-key?

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #194
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
apparently you missed the most important theological breakthrough of the century mainly that god and/or jesus is a fan of hot, wet girl-on-girl action
Alert the presses. We could get daytime television shows about this ****.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #195
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones View Post
and that again leads us to the concept of Trinity, girl-on-girl-on...dong-key?
the bible was fairly ambiguous about a lot of stuff (saying "sexually immoral" but not defining "immoral") so if you're willing to do some sweet talking to get into heaven go for it man. now that i mention it, i'm kinda pissed the bible doesnt have a list of prohibited sexual acts i mean if god is all-powerful he's probably got some up his sleeve that we don't even know about yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
Alert the presses. We could get daytime television shows about this ****.
i want to be yelled at by bill o'reilly, he's so dreamy <3

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #196
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
i want to be yelled at by bill o'reilly, he's so dreamy <3
O'Reilly doesn't yell. He cowers and barks like a beaten dog.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #197
EnderWiggin

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
O'Reilly doesn't yell. He cowers and barks like a beaten dog.
He does nothing of the sort. I am not even Republican, but come on. He doesn't cower. And barking is the same thing as yelling.

So you lied and then agreed, really.

_EW_

Yes, I hate you.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #198
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY that sounds like yelling to me.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #199
Nedak
Beelzebozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
He does nothing of the sort. I am not even Republican, but come on. He doesn't cower. And barking is the same thing as yelling.
Barking in this case would not be barking in an angry manner but more as a cowering defensive manner.

Also, just sharing my hate for O'Reilly and Fox News.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJ9yJpR_DA
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #200
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Not to beat a dead horse (thread), but...

Hmm, sorry I missed this. I've actually spent quite a bit of time arguing with the "Jesus Mythers" (people who insist that Yeshua bar Yosef, aka Jesus of Nazareth called Christ, was not a historical figure, but a purely mythical character). They're a largely uneducated lot. A few of them just think they know something because they saw Brian Flemming's film or "Zeitgeist: the Movie" but many of them have read the literature on the subject.

Unfortunately for them the literature is written by amateurs, based on outdated theories (ex: Kersey Graves, Gerald Massey, "Acharya S" aka Dorothy M. Murdock). Earl Doherty is the most "respected" of the lot, but he too is an amateur. Robert Price is the only real Biblical scholar amongst them, but he's considered fringe even in his field. Richard Carrier recently earned his doctorate in History and is working on a book, but I don't know if he'll submit it to peer review (and if he'll argue that Jesus isn't historical).

As for the "prove god is imaginary" crap (put out by these two different guys on youtube, iirc), those videos have been responded to several times already. You can find the responses as well.

I'm starting classes Monday so I've got a lot on my mind, but I saw the title and had a flashback to all those debates.

I LIKE religious debates, and the Senate is the right place for those kinds of things. It's worthwhile having them especially since the quality of "debate" coming from the Rational Responder type camp on Youtube has been so poor lately. They're like the atheist version of Chick Ministries.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Prove that jesus is imaginary in less than 5 minutes