lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What was the (adventure) game you played last?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #41
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Monkey Island 2, I always replay that and Loom around this time. This time I bought the CD Talkie version of Loom.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #42
Ascovel
Rookie

CD Talkie version of Loom is severely cut
Ascovel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
Sven_Q45
Forumite

@Ascovel
I know. I thought it´s crap but now I only play the CD-Talkie!
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #44
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel
CD Talkie version of Loom is severely cut.
Yeah, but fortunately most of the voice-acting is really good. Overall, I thought the experience was just as satisfying as the other versions.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #45
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
I just played Dangeresque 3. It's my favorite of the Strong Bad games so far.

I was wondering how they were going to do the extended play, since you were playing the movie, and when the movie ended the game ended. The idea of making extended play work like special features on a DVD was great. I don't usually play through extended play, but curiosity got the better of me, and now I'm glad it did.

I also tried to play the A Vampyre Story demo, but just as I was worried about I need a new video card first.

Last edited by Jenni; 11-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #46
evilguy12
Rookie

Current Game: Valkyria Chronicles
I bought Toonstruck, Little Big Adventure and The Leisure Suit Larry Collection Series (which I can't play since it is rated 18 in the UK) at a charity shop yesterday. I like Toonstruck but the writing isn't funny at all and Flux Wildly is really annoying and Little Big Adventure is fun, if not very hard, but...

HOW DO YOU SAVE!?
evilguy12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #47
Gabez

I only played the demo of LBA (but loved it -- should play the full game) but I seem to remember having to go into a shop or a special area or something in order to save.

Actually, according to DOS Gamers, the game automatically saves whenever you enter a new area.

Maybe I was thinking of LBA2?
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #48
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Careful with Leisure Suit Larry. I'm pretty sure the first one would install a virus on your computer if you had unprotected sex (I wrote an article about it a year or two ago).
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #49
neon_git

Kroms, there's no way that's true and even if it were a virus from the 80's will be completely impotent on any vaguely modern machine.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
neon_git is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #50
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Today came Edna bericht aus - Ultimate (Edna and Harvey: The Breakout) from Amazon.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #51
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Yesterday I bought Secret Files Tunguska. Now at last in German.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #52
Jenni
Rookie

I just finished the Videlectrix online graphic adventures, Peasant's Quest and Dangeresque Roomisode 1.

Peasant's Quest was a nice pretty long adventure that was very much like the old Sierra games from the 80s. It even contains some pretty weird puzzles with weird logic like those old games, but in this game the weird logic puzzles were optional.

Dangeresque Roomisode 1 was a really short adventure that captures the feel of early 90s adventure games. It really managed to capture the feel of LucasArts and Sierra adventure games at the same time. I'd love to see a full game done in this style, but with a point and click interface.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #53
Gabez

I played that Dangeresque game as well -- I really loved the style of it -- and I like adventure games that feature in close areas. I should play BS2 next -- I think I will next term. This term I played BS1 which I really liked too. And I also want to play AVS but I don't know when I'll get it... maybe for my birthday.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #54
Sven_Q45
Forumite

@Gabez
Don´t forget BS 2,5...
Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #55
Jenni
Rookie

I just finished 8-Bit is Enough! Yay!

I loved the ending. I thought the genre blending ending in Strong Badia the Free was great, but this one blew it out of the water.

I'm glad I finished Peasant's Quest before I played this game too, since it let me understand a lot of the jokes I would have missed otherwise.

I was so into the game, I'm reading all of my posts in my head with the voice of Homestar Runner. Seriously!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #56
Haggis
Mojorator

I agree, the ending was epic. Still, I was expecting that scary painting to play some part in the story... maybe in season 2?

Haggis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #57
V_Ben
Rookie

I just finished full throttle. loved every second of it :P
V_Ben is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #58
AlfredJ
Rookie

So, yeah, I completed the last Strong Bad-episode. I'm still not sure what I think of the series as a whole. I enjoyed it, but when I think back to the Sam & Max-episodes... Every S&M-episode was just perfect for me, it brought me right back to my youth, right into that old familiar Lucasarts-world. Not just because Sam & Max where part of the Lucasfamily, way back then, but just the fact that you can taste the joy the creators had when they where creating the games. Every episode was a labour of love. In I just miss that with the Strong Bad-episodes. I mean, I'm sure the guys at Telltale want to make the best game possible (and they still handle the IP's they get way better than a lot of other developers), but it all just feels a bit more...joyless. It's just a combination of factors, I guess. I actually think the visual style is great, but you get a lot of big, empty environments this way. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think you should compensate the loss of richness in environments with richness in characters and story. But yeah, of all the characters, only Strong Bad, Strong Sad, Homestar and Marsipan are capable of having conversations. The rest of the characters just shout, or squeek, or whatever. And all this, again, wouldn't turn a good adventure game into a bad one. The difference is, this is an episodic adventure.

That other recent adventure game, AVS, also had few characters I cared about. But I didn't care, it was just this one adventure, after the game ended, most of these characters will be gone, and in the sequel I will have an entire new set of environments and characters. When you put all the Strong Bad-episodes together you may have the same number of playing hours, but you are forced to play it an episode a month (if you don't buy the season after it has ended, of course). AVS lasted me about a week, and that was fine. Strong Bad, while sort of equal in length, is a game that you play over a period of 5 months. That's long. Sam & Max managed to keep my attention over that entire period, but Strong Bad just isn't 'rich' enough to be interesting over such a long period of time. It doesn't have the same depth, story-wise, character-wise. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, and it was far better then most of the adventure games out there these days, but as I said, it was...lacking. If this was a single, bigger game, it might have worked better. (Note: I love the episodic format. Perfect for me and my schedule. I just don't love it with this series). That, and I think producing the game for both Wiiware and PC at the same time might have hurt the overal quality of the games. I don't really need a mountain of achievements and unlockables in my point & clicks. I think the technical limitations of Wiiware are even more of a problem; I hope they aren't going to do the same with Sam & Max season 3. Still, it made them a lot of money, which is awesome.

Oh man, I didn't want to turn this into one long review. Especially such a negative one, for such an awesome company. I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, English isn't my native language.

To make it up to you guys, some news (not much) old man Jake spilled about Wallace & Gromit, which I'm really looking forward too.

Quote:
W&G stuff coming eventually. We announced it maybe a little early... or rather, we thought we'd have more to say in closer proximity to the initial announcement. There's not a lot anyone's allowed to say right now, but yeah, it will be for PC and console, and it will be an adventure-style game. I don't think Telltale will ever make a game that doesn't put the focus on story and character, and (in the case of licensed games, which is all we make at the moment) on trying to tell stories and present gameplay that reflect well on the license. That's not to say that Telltale will forever make games which are sort of 3D takes on what are effectively SCUMM games, but games which focus on narrative, character, exploring a world in the framework of a story will probably be the focus for the studio as long as it exists in its present form.
found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...&pagenumber=18

So, PC and console. If it's Wiiware again...
AlfredJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #59
Gabez

I think this might have already been said, but really, Alfred J, you win the award for baddest forum avatar (where "baddest" means "best" as in street lingo).

There's a new W&G TV film coming this Christmas and it's cool seeing the adverts and the BBC idents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCcWvdNCkdg) and thinking that Telltale is somehow related to all of this!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #60
AlfredJ
Rookie

Wow, this avatar took me about 1 minute to make. Still, glad you guys like it!

The new Wallace & Gromit movie is looking great. 'The Wrong Trousers' may be the funniest claymation video I have ever seen. I'm sort of hoping that we get some new information about the games soon. I'm not sure what Jake means with the quote I gave earlier. Does he mean that they announced the game too early, because it has been around 6 months without any new information, or does he mean that it will be quite a while before we hear anything new?

Hmm, this is turning into a W&G-topic. I'll just stop talking.
AlfredJ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #61
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Today I started "1 1/2 Ritter" (Knight).

And I got Ankh 3 SE. Have it but got the SE.

Last edited by Sven_Q45; 12-25-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #62
Icebox
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Man Country
I just did a quick run through of Samorost 1+2. For those who don't know, Samorost is this cute/warped series from Amanita design. Games like that, Man...

Those are the kinds of adventure games I dig, the indie sleepers resplendified in minimalism and quirkiness. Samorost has this really sort of drugged up, earthy feel, where the whole environment is organic, even the machinery.

Their new game Machinarium will probably win game of the year from me as soon as it's released. It's like a mix between I Robot and The Godfather, but the flipside, all the organic things are mechanical, the environment is completely contraptionistic.

Other Game I'd really like to play sometime very soon: The Neverhood. Huge Fan Of Earthworm Jim, from what I've seen, the game is a blend of that and Grim Fandango, but with more clay. My computer is too slow to run it, though. Wah.

Let's Kick Some ICE!
Icebox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #63
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Now I play Secret Files Tunguska the second time. But this time in German.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
Ascovel
Rookie

Indiana Jones and The Spheres. The one before that: Mental Repairs Inc. Both entertaining and most worth playing.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #65
Sven_Q45
Forumite

I´ve started this Indy adventure, too.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #66
Jeopando
Rookie

I just finished the Chzo Mythos. It was very well made for an indie game. There were some clever puzzles and the story was well constructed and engaging. I'd recommend it, but if you hate horror adventures you probably won't like it. I'm not such a big fan of horror myself but those games just were so engaging. They also deserve a medal for seriously creeping me out a couple of times. Anyone played them? What did you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebox View Post
Other Game I'd really like to play sometime very soon: The Neverhood. Huge Fan Of Earthworm Jim, from what I've seen, the game is a blend of that and Grim Fandango, but with more clay. My computer is too slow to run it, though. Wah.
Whoa! Thanks for pointing that out! Looks amazing.

Wasn't it released in 1996 though? You really wouldn't need that high-end of a computer to play it.

- The Artist Currently Known As Jeo.
Jeopando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #67
Ascovel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeopando View Post
Anyone played them? What did you think?
I played 5 Days a Stranger, but didn't find it particularly interesting or clever. I've played many freeware indies that are much better.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #68
Jeopando
Rookie

Yeah, well the first two games of the series weren't THAT good but I thought the story was wrapped up well in the last two chapters. I just kept playing on my friend's recommendation and the whole thing as a whole was pretty good. It's mostly about the mood and story but there are some clever puzzles.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #69
Gabez

On the subject of amateur adventure games... Scurvyliver's That Night Before (http://scurvy.adventuredevelopers.com/tnb.html) is still my favourite of all time. It's full of LucasArts references and injokes and it's more fun than sex on a bicycle.

As to the last adventure game I played: Sam & Max S.2 Ep.4 -- unless Baldur's Gate II counts!

Actually, scrub that, I played that 2D one room Strongbad flash adventure game, which was really awesome.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #70
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
First: Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (Loved adventure games ever since...)

Favorite: Grim Fandango (the one and only...)

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #71
Ascovel
Rookie

Thanks for recommending the liver thing, Gabe. I'll try it.

My favorite amateur adventure game so far is Nelly Cootalot. Very Monkey Island like, but stands on its own. And can be really funny. Rather great puzzles too.

Mental Repairs Inc. that I mentioned before is another worthy title and technically it's as good as many current commercial adventure games. Oh, and it's heavily LucasArts inspired as well. Most amateur adventure games are. I wrote a short review for it if someone would like to know more.

Last edited by Ascovel; 01-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #72
Icebox
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Man Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeopando View Post
Wasn't it released in 1996 though? You really wouldn't need that high-end of a computer to play it.
The Claymation effects are very demanding, surprisingly. Not to say I haven't tried to run it, but my computer is low end. Goddamn if I don't love Doug TenNapel though...

Grabbed Beneath A Steel Sky from Good Old Games. It's... Unique. More in the Sierra style, and the story is depressing. Ominous, to say the least. I find it odd that they juxtapose a dark, hostile environment with "humour".

Also just dug up an ancient copy of Pajama Sam 1, and zoomed through, more for the sake of Nostalgia than anything. It's still remarkably funny, for a kid's game.

Speaking of Kid's games, recently experienced Questionaut. The best "Edutainment" game I've ever played, and great design. Basically anything from Amanita is gold in my book. Like The Quest For The Rest...

Other AG's on the list, Professor Layton (Baffle Me This!), and Penny-Arcade Adventures, although I'm not sure if that's strictly an adventure game. Dig the comic, and the trailers I've seen positively radiate atmosphere.

Let's Kick Some ICE!
Icebox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #73
Jeopando
Rookie

Just finished Nelly Cootalot. It was fun. The puzzles were good, the writing was good and it looked amazing. When the graphical style of the game is that clearly defined, the graphics can be made into pure perfection. It's impossible with games that are striving to be photorealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebox View Post
Grabbed Beneath A Steel Sky from Good Old Games. It's... Unique. More in the Sierra style, and the story is depressing. Ominous, to say the least. I find it odd that they juxtapose a dark, hostile environment with "humour".
Beneath A Steel Sky became a kind of an instant classic for me when I first finished it a few years ago. It's not perfect but it has a fantastically strange mood to it. Yeah, ominous is a good word to describe it. Still, it doesn't take itself too seriously and that's just the way I like it. I think the humour balances the darkness and vice versa, to the point of emphasizing both the dark and the humorous side. Like how a candle gives out more light in total darkness. Did that make any sense?
Also, it didn't particularly remind me of Sierra games, but my experience with Sierra is mostly limited to their earlier games. Never been a huge fan of those games.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #74
Jenni
Rookie

I just finished Dráscula. The English voices were really bad, and the translation was really rough, but the humor did still come through in some spots. I'm sure it was a lot funnier and more enjoyable in the original Spanish version, but with the English voices turned off I did enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Monkey Island references (although the petrified bird was definitely not sleeping like the piranha poodles were. It's eyes were open, and it was creepy).
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #75
Sven_Q45
Forumite

The english voice of Drascula was bad. I played it with German subtitels from ScummVm.
Well that aren´t english people I think.
But I collect what I can get! And that´s why I played it.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #76
Jenni
Rookie

I just finished Broken Sword 2.5. I'm very impressed. The new artwork fits in perfectly in the Broken Sword world, and the new characters do too. Though the tramp in the alley is very gross. And his animation was really creepy.

The 3D cutscenes were good, except the ones with the characters. It's not that they were bad, it's just that it contrasted with the 2D look the game had. The story was quite good, but the explanation of the use of the artifact George and Nico were hunting for was a little strange.

This is a game that I would have enjoyed if I had to pay for it. The fact that it was a free fan game is amazing! I haven't played Broken Sword 3 yet, but now I really have to do it. It will be fun to see how well this really does bridge the games together.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #77
Capt Kevin Kid
Lurker

Current Game: CMI at the moment.
Thumbs up

Am playing Curse of Monkey Island's thro Scumm.

I played MI1/2 back in 1990/1994, got stuck on the Jungle on MI2 But now i have the full solution, thanks to WOMI.

2008 was the first time in 14 year's that i have ever played a MI game, and the one i played first before i bourt CMI, was EMI, i got on to part 2 and then i got CMI so i started playing that one untill the game started crashing like mad, now it works perfect on Scumm.

I will play the first 2 again when i set up the floppy drive to use the floppy discs.

Capt Kevin Kid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #78
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I've been playing Hotel Dusk Room 215 for DS, so far it's very good but I believe I'm still fairly early on (chapter 3). I just love the DS as a platform for adventure games.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #79
Jenni
Rookie

I just finished Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso. It was the most fun I've ever had with an adventure game that wasn't a point and clicker. The music was great, and I loved the comic strip intro and ending. It's all based on a webcomic, so it was nice to see that touch. The artwork was also great, since the world really looked like it was the webcomic come to life. I also loved the subtle touches in the animation, like how Ed's walking sprite changes to a feared expression with his arms extended when he is running from Mr. Smoozles.

There's also a lot of references to Steve Ince's other games like Beneath a Steel Sky and the Broken Sword series. And references to other games as well, including a very funny joke regarding curious naming in Square's RPGs.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #80
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Just preordered/ordered Still Life 2, The Book Of Unwritten Tales, Sam and Max Season 2 and The Art Of Murder 2 on Amazon.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > What was the (adventure) game you played last?