lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Credit System
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Hayden Kered
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 866
Helpful! 
Lightbulb Credit System

An idea for members to gain from their contributions at LF!

The Credit System would allow members to receive credit for their "good deeds" on the forums, in which they can use credits to gain certain privileges.

How this will work - Credits will be kept track of by a credit counter (the same method for post count) and will be displayed under avatar. Every member, including new ones, will start with 50 credits. 10 credits will be gained for every 100th post by a member. (100 posts = 10 credits)

Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.). For every contributing act, members will receive 1 credit for every post pertaining to their contribution.

Example - I'm writing a Fan Fic and finished, my finished Fan Fic is made up of 18 posts. That's 18 credits received for my finished Fan Fic.

What to do with all these credits? Unfortunately I could only come up with 2 ideas, buying a new user name or buying a custom title.

Buying a new name - Let's say a new name costs 100,000 credits. Members can spend 100,000 credits to buy a new name. This also could be a way to eliminate the 'Request a name change' thread.

Buying a new title - This would work the same as buying a new name. The difference? Members that have a post count lower than 1,000 can buy a custom title with their credits, once 1,000 post count is reached custom titles will be free to change.


I figured this would be a good way to motivate members here to be more active by giving them rewards for contributing to the community.

Any new ideas, suggestions, changes are all welcome!

Admin/Mods, I really hope you carefully look this idea over, I believe this can be done and would be very interesting to all members here at LF.

A question that might be asked - Why not use post count instead? By using credits this gives us the same method as money and makes us work to gain privileges. (If I buy a new name for 100,000 credits then 100,000 credits will be deducted from my credit count. I would have to gain 100,000 more credits if I want to change my name again). Also by doing so no one would lose their post count.


I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!
 
Marius Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,379
I believe there actually used to be something like this here that they got rid of..




Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden GS View Post
Admin/Mods, I really hope you carefully look this idea over, I believe this can be done and would be very interesting to all members here at LF.

A question that might be asked - Why not use post count instead? By using credits this gives us the same method as money and makes us work to gain privileges. (If I buy a new name for 100,000 credits then 100,000 credits will be deducted from my credit count. I would have to gain 100,000 more credits if I want to change my name again). Also by doing so no one would lose their post count.
Actually, we had exactly this until like 4-5 years ago. We git rid of it for a couple of reasons, but I'm pretty sure if you only bug Thrik enough, he'll more than happily reimplement it for you. That said do not donate money to him, regardless of any story he'll tell you. >_>


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
stoffe
Mostly dormant
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,834
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden GS View Post
The Credit System would allow members to receive credit for their "good deeds" on the forums, in which they can use credits to gain certain privileges.
I believe something similar to what you describe was used on LucasForums back in 2002/2003, though it proved to cause much more trouble than it was worth and the feature got removed. Thus I think it is highly unlikely that it would get reintroduced.

It would also open up that whole can of worms about who gets to decide what a "good deed" is and how to award points.


mt
stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
I believe something similar to what you describe was used on LucasForums back in 2002/2003, though it proved to cause much more trouble than it was worth and the feature got removed. Thus I think it is highly unlikely that it would get reintroduced.

It would also open up that whole can of worms about who gets to decide what a "good deed" is and how to award points.
I think glowy titles extended into 2004, because I remember them but was never able to get one.

It would have to be a completely automated system in order to work well. But it sounds cool, doesn't it?

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'

Last edited by EnderWiggin; 08-28-2008 at 11:41 AM.
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
M@RS
The New Tax Collector
 
M@RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,898
I agree, I like it, I think that we should pay a certain amount of credits for moderator privileges


Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
I agree, I like it, I think that we should pay a certain amount of credits for moderator privileges


Oh wait, were you serious?

Inyri is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
I agree, I like it, I think that we should pay a certain amount of credits for moderator privileges
Ha-ha.

Moderator wars

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)
 
Da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 1,173
Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden GS View Post
How this will work - Credits will be kept track of by a credit counter (the same method for post count) and will be displayed under avatar. Every member, including new ones, will start with 50 credits. 10 credits will be gained for every 100th post by a member. (100 posts = 10 credits)

Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.). For every contributing act, members will receive 1 credit for every post pertaining to their contribution.

Example - I'm writing a Fan Fic and finished, my finished Fan Fic is made up of 18 posts. That's 18 credits received for my finished Fan Fic.
I think these would lead to a lot more spammers than usual. Besides, I can't think of a way to figure out hoe to do deem a "helpful" post. Maybe something like the "Mod This!" function on redvsblue.com?

The options on rvb.com are:
+1 Funny
+1 Cool
+1 Ditto
+1 Zing!
-1 Lame
-1 WTF
-1 Noob
-1 Flamebait.



This function might even be able to replace the report spam thingy.
Maybe when the score goes below, say, -50 a moderator checks out the post. Maybe when someone rates 150 posts they get say 20 credits.

Da_man is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,510
Current Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Or it might turn into a horrible popularity contest.

Inyri is offline   you may:
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Or it might turn into a horrible popularity contest.
I believe the terms I heard were 'circle-jerk' and 'e-penis.'

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
Hayden Kered
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 866
Helpful! 
I know of two ways that credits could be awarded:

1.) Set the credit system up the same as receiving Reps. or like on some forums (christian forums is a good example) they have what are called blessings. You gain blessings to make avatars and sigs for yourself.

2.) Set the system up to where if some one receives help from another member, that person clicks a link/button "Credit Award" and by doing so this will send a message to a Admin/Mod who then can over look what the good deed is, and reward the member.

Also to help prevent spamming, members can only receive a certain amount of credits in a 24 hour period.

I had no idea that there was something like this before, but it wouldn't hurt to give it another try!


I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #13
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Though you were not expected nor wanted to say this, Ender. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden GS View Post
1.) Set the credit system up the same as receiving Reps. or like on some forums (christian forums is a good example) they have what are called blessings. You gain blessings to make avatars and sigs for yourself.
Everyone has avatars and sigs, so...the point would be?

Quote:
2.) Set the system up to where if some one receives help from another member, that person clicks a link/button "Credit Award" and by doing so this will send a message to a Admin/Mod who then can over look what the good deed is, and reward the member.
This will work especially well in those off-topic, fan art/fiction, debate and drool-about-games sub-forums.

Quote:
Also to help prevent spamming, members can only receive a certain amount of credits in a 24 hour period.
Ah, like in that Zyndarilla tale, "WTF, no help for you punk, I CAN'T GET MOAR REP B4 12AM"?

Quote:
I had no idea that there was something like this before, but it wouldn't hurt to give it another try!
Like I said before, BUG THRIK ABOUT IT, via PM, one every 12 hours.


Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri View Post
Or it might turn into a horrible popularity contest.
'Might'? You mean 'would'.

This proposed system sounds like an overly complicated way to sponsor e-penis waving without actually adding anything to the forums. Most of the stuff that you suggested could be bought with the credits is already available for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden GS
Members earn 1 credit by contributing to forums (writing Fan Fics, making avy/sigs, helping with mods, ect.).
I would by no means count all fics, avatars and sigs as contributions to the forums. >_>


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon View Post
I would by no means count all fics, avatars and sigs as contributions to the forums. >_>
Or all mod "help" as a contribution either. >_<

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
M@RS
The New Tax Collector
 
M@RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,898
I think they should just have people recommend people who they think deserves credits, then the moderators decide who really deserves the credits...


Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
I think they should just have people recommend people who they think deserves credits, then the moderators decide who really deserves the credits...
I have enough to do already. The last thing I want to do is play a judge on "Lucasforums Idol".


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #18
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,848
I say we have a reverse credit system. You're given a tally and each day it goes down slowly unless you DO post a helpful post. Tally reaches zero.. and sayonara .. hehehe


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
chainz i think that's too biased against those of us who don't make helpful posts :/



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Yeah jmac you'd be gone within a day.

<3


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
jmac's posts are helpful they're just very selective in who they're of help to <3


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
Hayden Kered
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 866
Helpful! 
Well I think I can see where this idea is going. No harm in trying...


I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may:
Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
RoxStar
Moderator
 
RoxStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,411
Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@RS View Post
I agree, I like it, I think that we should pay a certain amount of credits for moderator privileges

No


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
I say we have a reverse credit system. You're given a tally and each day it goes down slowly unless you DO post a helpful post. Tally reaches zero.. and sayonara .. hehehe
Oh we could go the SomethingAwful route and just ban people mercilessly

Seriously though. The 2002/2003 store encouraged crappy short posts so that new signatures, glowy titles, custom usernames, italicized and bolded other nicknackes and was really quite pointless.

In order to reinstate that particular VBulletin mod, we'd have to take away all the perks that members currently have (aka custom title at 1000 posts, nice large avatars, custom signatures, etc.)

While the points system was fun, it didn't encourage thoughtful discussion.
RoxStar is offline   you may:
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #24
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling
 
Thrik's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 4,213
Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I don't think this is something I'd ever like to see reimplemented. RoxStar pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Thinking of ways to improve the forum is appreciated though, Hayden GS. Thanks for taking the time to do so.


Thrik is offline   you may:
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #25
Hayden Kered
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 866
Helpful! 
No problem! What are members for?

Close please!

Done--Jae.


I QUIT LF!

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 09-30-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Hayden Kered is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Credit System

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.