lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What new lightsaber type should be included next?
Lightsaber Whip 8 17.02%
Ring saber 2 4.26%
neither 24 51.06%
both 7 14.89%
other 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What new lightsaber types should be in the game?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #41
patient_zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
You can do that with an ordinary saber - look at Dooku!

He can wield an ordinary saber with extreme skill - a master fencer!
It's just not the same without a lightrapier! The blade must be thinner, for stabbing over slashing.

(Well, it's that or they implement saber styles with differing animations. There must be a super-duper-awesome fencing style out there somewhere.)
patient_zero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #42
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patient_zero View Post
(Well, it's that or they implement saber styles with differing animations.
Definately agree with that - that's the problem with TSL- you can use a new style, you just can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patient_zero
There must be a super-duper-awesome fencing style out there somewhere.)
There's Makashi, the style that Dooku uses, which is built solely for lightsaber fencing and combat.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #43
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
There is no uber style, you change to the appropriate style depending on the situation and what you were properly trained in.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #44
Corinthian
Banned

Yeah, and then there's Vaapad, which properly doesn't exist at this point, but is basically the God-Style.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #45
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Mood Saber!
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #46
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Mood Saber!
Red for pissed; blue for calm.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #47
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by patient_zero View Post
It's just not the same without a lightrapier! The blade must be thinner, for stabbing over slashing.

(Well, it's that or they implement saber styles with differing animations. There must be a super-duper-awesome fencing style out there somewhere.)
You're forgetting the physics, rapiers are made like that to lessen the counter-weight since its metal and make the strike faster. With a lightsaber you have no counter-weight so there isn't much of a point other than the look.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #48
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
What K3 needs is an option to rip-off your arm and attach a lightsaber there, so it's always connected to you, and it comes out at will.

Cool no?

(Other than that all the others a stupid, a lightring? That's retarded on so many levels I can't begin to explain it.)

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #49
mattig89ch

its not stupider then the energy shield! I was thinking the ring would be a last restor, not your primary weapon.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #50
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

What's so stupid about the energy shield, the only thing that's stupid about it is that it's completely useless, you don't need any extra shields.

Yes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #51
Robb Stark
Rookie

I could see a lightspear/pike/lance, a long stave 4-10 ft. with a 1-2 ft. saber blade at the end, having practical use as a battlefield weapon for footsoldiers.

Sabers that came out of bracers on one's forearms, like Protoss energy blades, and used with punches, swings, and swipes of the the entire arm would make some sense as weapons.

I'm quite content with what we have though--with the exception that I'd like to see a few unique sabers dropped by "bosses" or as special treasure. A "longsaber" dropped by a larger opponent like a Malak or Nihilus that provided an innate additional strength bonus to one's attacks, a larger critical chance/damage, and/or a chance to knockback at the cost of only being able to mono-wield it would be a nice changeup.
Robb Stark is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #52
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Put me down for an emphatic "neither".

And I'll now post my obligatory "GIMIC!"

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #53
Darca Lar
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Stark View Post
Sabers that came out of bracers on one's forearms
Oh yes I do like the brace-saber idea! Or even double brace-sabers.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #54
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar View Post
Or even double brace-sabers.
Do you mean one out of a brace on each arm, or two out of the one brace, the latter is pretty stupid IMHO.

Yes
Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #55
Darca Lar
Forumite

yeah I meant two bracers, one blade on each, because yes two blades on one would be both stupid and suicidal.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #56
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Okay, just wanted a clarification, imagine having 2 blades come out of your brace and then piercing your forearm. Ouch!

Yes
Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #57
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I voted for Lightwhip, I've seen enough of it in action (Jedi vs Sith, Lumiya, Legacy, etc) to know it has some degree of potential. If the ring saber is anything like Tira's blade from SCIII then I'd imagine you'd need special acrobatic training to the extent of being Darth Maul incarnate just to avoid cauterizing yourself.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #58
Corinthian
Banned

Sharrak, please, do not use a word unless you know what it means. Cauterization is burning a part of a body to remove it or seal it, typically referring to burning a wound to stop bleeding. The word you're looking for is 'cutting'.

Anyway, you'd need special training with a lightwhip, too. Try using a real whip without touching yourself with it ever. You'll have a bloody hard time.

At any rate, Lightwhips are a pretty horrifyingly stupid idea, it's just asking for you to accidentally kill yourself.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #59
Christos K
Forumite

A lightsabe whip is THE lamest idea ever no offense it like saying light can move like a snake. Same with something like a Saber AXE or Saber Hammer I dont think its possible to manipulate the energy that way. Maybe that type of saber that is similar to the energy sword seen in Halo 1,2,3 There have been many mods on it. Or maybe a Saber disk just a disk that admits the energy around it so it can be used like frisby or what the Predator uses in Predator 1, 2 AvP 1, 2 Predator, AvP comics etc.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #60
mattig89ch

See now I think if we can send a strong laser through a dylithium crystal, then we could get a finite beam that would end at a predictable point. Unfortunetly we don't have access to dylithium crystals yet.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #61
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig89ch View Post
See now I think if we can send a strong laser through a dylithium crystal, then we could get a finite beam that would end at a predictable point. Unfortunetly we don't have access to dylithium crystals yet.
Dilithium Crystals?
I thought those were for Warp Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Put me down for an emphatic "neither".

And I'll now post my obligatory "GIMIC!"
QFT. I really don't see the applicable use (other than self mutilation) for all of these new "shiny bits" ideas of lightsaber weaponry. I mean.. Light-whip or *groan* light-nunchuks.. yeah... gimic. The "tonfas" in TFU are bad enough without adding to the insult

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #62
mattig89ch

Of course theyre for war engines. But they never said what makes the crystals strong in the force.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #63
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig89ch View Post
Of course theyre for war engines. But they never said what makes the crystals strong in the force.
Well I certainly don't think that it'll be fictional energy crystals from another Sci-Fi franchise.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #64
mattig89ch

lol, hey. you never know whats out there till you explore it.

In all seriousness though, I think that you would need to get a crystal with its own energy to go ah head and create an enerygy blade.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #65
Blix
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Sharrak, please, do not use a word unless you know what it means. Cauterization is burning a part of a body to remove it or seal it, typically referring to burning a wound to stop bleeding. The word you're looking for is 'cutting'.

Anyway, you'd need special training with a lightwhip, too. Try using a real whip without touching yourself with it ever. You'll have a bloody hard time.

At any rate, Lightwhips are a pretty horrifyingly stupid idea, it's just asking for you to accidentally kill yourself.
If a lightsaber (or in this instance a light-ring) were to cut through the wielder it would cauterize the gash, as lightsabers have done before: Sion Vs Kreia, Dooku vs Anakin, Vader vs Luke (Cloud City) so thus the wielder would 'cauterize himself'. The "where" is a different story entirely, being dependent on what part of the body the slash hit.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #66
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
They say a picture can fill on for a thousand words or some other such thing, so...

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #67
TSi21
Rookie

Current Game: MLB 2k7
While I don't think any additional light saber types are needed, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Darth Krayt's staff. Basically a big stick with a lightsaber coming out of one side.
TSi21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #68
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
I like the tonfa sabers. I think they look really, really cool in a clip I saw where Maris Brood was about to kick the rear of a certain Secret Apprentice...

Lightwhips are stretching it a bit, but I wouldn't mind having them. It would take a WHOLE lot of concentration and skill to keep from hitting yourself, but it would look cool if someone who actually knew how to use them was coming at you. Wait, let me think about that...

Well, anyway, enough of that gruesome train of thought . When I picture a lightwhip in use, I think about that guy in Underworld...whatever his name was...Soren? Well, we all know how well that turned out...but add the Force and you got it!

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #69
Andurilblade
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars Galaxies
I'd like to have the option of tonfas and saberstaffs. Another little item I think would be really awesome is saber gauntlets, kinda like Batman or the Green Goblin (Junior). Three or four really short blades on each arm, maybe staggered for additional damage. Or perhaps Wolverine-type "lightknuckles?"

Lightwhips sound really cool, but I'm kinda wondering just how far you can take Star Wars physics. (Though when a solar sail can take you halfway across the Galaxy and a laser stops at a defined distance, I'm ready to believe anything.)

Ringsabers sound a little far-fetched, but not that bad. Maybe a really hard boss can fight with them. I see them being really hard to block , especially when thrown.
Andurilblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 AM   #70
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

All these ideas are getting unbelievably stupid, lightknuckles? That eliminates the purpose of only those highly trained in it's use can use, lightknuckles would make any poser be able to use a lightsaber-esque weapon.

Yes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #71
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Andurilblade, you watch too many 'supermen' movies. As far as the ring sabers go, it would be really hard to dodge them, more so than normal lightsabers. However, I think that throwing would be their only real use, and it would be impractical to carry around a saber just for throwing when you can carry a saber for melee fighting, IMO.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.

Last edited by Endorenna; 09-19-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #72
Andurilblade
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars Galaxies
X-Men, actually. Sorry, it was late and I had just watched X-Men. The lightknuckles idea was the product of a mind of already-questionable stability pumped up on too much coffee and too little sleep.

Though I still think the gauntlets idea isn't that bad. Batman used them and they didn't seem to cramp his style any.
Andurilblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #73
Corinthian
Banned

Sharrak, you do not 'cauterize' yourself. You cut yourself, and then the lightsaber cauterizes the wound. You're writing like Paolini.

Sorry, that was a little harsh.

At any rate, at least Lightknuckles you wouldn't be in as much danger from your own weapon, it at least makes logical sense. I think it'd be a bad idea, but then, I'd be perfectly happy if they removed Double-Bladed. I certainly don't want to see any more stupid Lightsaber types added, next thing you know they'll make a Chainlightsaber or a gun that shoots lightsabers.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #74
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Quote:
I'd be perfectly happy if they removed Double-Bladed. I certainly don't want to see any more stupid Lightsaber types added, next thing you know they'll make a Chainlightsaber or a gun that shoots lightsabers.
Remove double-bladed? There the only saber's I use, if they remove it I won't play it
What's wrong with a lightsaber-shooting gun? They should make a lightcar, a car, that's made out of lightsabers!

Yes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #75
Corinthian
Banned

I'm sure BioWare or Obsidian (Please don't let it be Obsidian) really care that you won't buy it without Staffsabers.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #76
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Obviously not, but what do you have against double-bladers? I can see why you'd hate any other sabers, as do I, but what's wrong with double-bladers?

Yes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #77
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
The real problem is that the idealizers of thos sabers don't seem like they know when to stop. If this escalates, it all might end looking like Batman's devices.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #78
Darca Lar
Forumite

Quote:
Sharrak, you do not 'cauterize' yourself. You cut yourself, and then the lightsaber cauterizes the wound. You're writing like Paolini.

Sorry, that was a little harsh.

At any rate, at least Lightknuckles you wouldn't be in as much danger from your own weapon, it at least makes logical sense. I think it'd be a bad idea, but then, I'd be perfectly happy if they removed Double-Bladed. I certainly don't want to see any more stupid Lightsaber types added, next thing you know they'll make a Chainlightsaber or a gun that shoots lightsabers.
A chainsaber? Seriously? As for the gun that shoots lightsabers, I believe they call that a blaster.

You can hurt yourself with any weapon, all you'd need is proper training. The double-bladed is unique in the sense that most wouldn't know how to defend against it, same goes for the lightwhip. They're both unorthodox.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #79
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar View Post
A chainsaber? Seriously? As for the gun that shoots lightsabers, I believe they call that a blaster.
Are you aware that he was sarcastic there?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #80
Blix
Veteran

The standard lightsaber archetype works fine for me anyway

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > What new lightsaber types should be in the game?