lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Activion can die in a fire
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Activion can die in a fire

From the article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
Publisher Activision has filed suit against Brütal Legend developer Double Fine Productions to prevent the release of the heavy metal game starring Jack Black, putting the title's Rocktober release in jeopardy.

According to a report from the Associated Press, Activision claims that Double Fine failed to deliver Brütal Legend on time and mostly on its dime. The suit contends that the Brütal Legend dev was paid $15 million to finish the game, but missed a key deadline, with Double Fine asking for another $7 million in development monies and a nine month extension.

When Vivendi and Activision merged last year, Brütal Legend was missing from the list of titles that Activision would inherit and publish. But Activision claims it still retains its rights to the open world action adventure and that the mega-publisher has suffered "irreparable harm" in losing the game.

The lawsuit is unlikely a surprise for EA and Double Fine, as Activision expressed its unhappiness with the game being handed over to its biggest competitor earlier this year. EA's response to Activision's legal threats called them as ridiculous as "a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

Brütal Legend's presence at E3 2009 is big. New publisher Electronic Arts is banking heavily on the game, but if Activision is successful in its latest round of litigation, it's possible that we might have to start looking forward to a Rockvember or Rockcember release.
Please don't delay this game ;;

Full Article: http://kotaku.com/5279036/activision...e#viewcomments

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I feel worse for Tim than anyone...his last release didn't get much attention...and now that this game does...just more problems...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
DarthAve
Yeezy

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
D=

Unless Activision can back up their claims, then it's no good. They dropped the game, what rights should they still have? They're just trying to get money out of a promising game. A divorced husband can't sue his ex-wife for dating a better looking man, so I think a lot of what Activision is saying is crap to stall the release.
DarthAve is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Tim Schafer: "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it. Oh great, now Beyoncé is going to sue me too."

Hahaha I love you Tim.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Pwnzor326
Rookie

Current Game: TES III: Morrowind
I find it interesting how Activision and EA have changed places. Activision is now the company whoring out there franchises every year (i.e. Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk) while EA has published a ton of new ips (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Deadspace, Brutal Legend).

Check out my blog at:

http://new-hiscore.blogspot.com/
Pwnzor326 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzor326 View Post
I find it interesting how Activision and EA have changed places. Activision is now the company whoring out there franchises every year (i.e. Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk) while EA has published a ton of new ips (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Deadspace, Brutal Legend).
Yep, that's what I've been saying for a while now. Activision is the new EA. I mean come on, 7 Guitar Hero games released in one year!?

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I think I would break down in tears if this game got delayed. Or worse, delayed indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I mean come on, 7 Guitar Hero games released in one year!?
Yeah that's a little excessive.

Rock Band is way better anyway!

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^I think 1 is a little excessive...I can't stand those stupid little guitars...but that's just me...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out

Last edited by urluckyday; 06-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Man'O'waR
Lurker

Activison = Betrayers and corrupt bastards.
First they give up, leaving Tim and the project, now, they see some money coming and they want the game back.
I'm sure EA will deal with this problem, it's a powerful company on the video-game industry, i also hope the EA and Double Fine start thinking about a PC version, when the game was in activision's hands i had no hope for a PC port, but mostly of EA (and all Tim Schaffer's) titles were released for windows. L
Man'O'waR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man'O'waR View Post
Activison = Betrayers and corrupt bastards.
Lol!
Don't take no crap from those bastards, boy!

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Brutal Legend Discussion > Activion can die in a fire