lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Wait is Over...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #81
TheRogueForums
Rookie

I'm telling you, the premise is sound- a game where you can meet up with friends, go trample some Sith Lords, and wield glow sticks of doom. I just think that since they have chosen this path, they should stick to the template that ANET has laid out- Guild Wars 2 will replace WoW when it comes out, because it will offer everything WoW offers, with better storyline, and still free of charge. What makes Guild Wars so popular, aside from having no monthly fee, is you are able to follow a story line, and do it by yourself. Aside from towns and outposts, everything is instanced. You don't HAVE to meet up with anyone for the game to be completed. Now, there are missions, etc, where you will more than likely need help from other human players, but those are for the more experienced gamers.

At any rate, the monthly fee does help cover the costs of the game, true enough. However, if marketed correctly, and if the game doesn't suck Rancor balls, then the initial earnings will be more than enough to pay for the game, and properly line the pockets of the developers. ANET has proven this, for the last 3 years. 5,000,000 strong is a pretty good indicator that, as the 3rd largest MMO ever, not having a monthly fee does not deter from the game content and further development.

Oh, and you can bet ANET has made more than enough profit from the Guild Wars franchise. LucasArts does not have to be greedy in order to both appease gamers, and make a nice bit of change.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #82
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueForums View Post
LucasArts does not have to be greedy in order to both appease gamers, and make a nice bit of change.
Query: Why does everyone accuse Lucasarts of being greedy when they're just asking for a little in return for all the great games they make?

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #83
Corinthian
Banned

Wrong, Web Rider. Just because Blizzard has not taken steps to crack down upon them does not make them any more legal. It is piracy, and piracy is illegal.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #84
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
I will be content to officially hear KOTOR III is declared a work in progress. Until then, I trust nothing because the majority of such rumors have been completely wrong. When it is official, I will get excite, but until then, there is no KOTOR III in my mind.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #85
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Query: Why does everyone accuse Lucasarts of being greedy when they're just asking for a little in return for all the great games they make?
Quote:
all the great games they make
Quote:
great games
Quote:
they make

Because in general, they don't make great games. Almost all of the good games in the Star Wars license that have been produced in the last few years have been made by other companies, not them.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #86
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

Hopefully its not the rumored MMO but the anticipated KOTOR 3 (although the teaser image looks like a MMO)

JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #87
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Because in general, they don't make great games. Almost all of the good games in the Star Wars license that have been produced in the last few years have been made by other companies, not them.
Still, they need to get paid something for these games because they license them.

Hmm, here's something I'm curious about. If the other companies make the games, who decides how much they cost, Lucasarts or the other company?

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #88
Vader's Fist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe 2.0 View Post
Hopefully its not the rumored MMO but the anticipated KOTOR 3 (although the teaser image looks like a MMO)
At this point, that teaser image isn't really a good indicator of anything. It could be the MMO or KOTOR III, or even a surprise unannounced game for all we know. (although I highly doubt the latter.)
Vader's Fist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #89
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader's Fist View Post
At this point, that teaser image isn't really a good indicator of anything. It could be the MMO or KOTOR III, or even a surprise unannounced game for all we know. (although I highly doubt the latter.)
Mwah.

"The wait is over"

I don't think millions of fans have been waiting for Lucasarts to create a new part in the 'my little pony' game series.
Seems only a handful of options are available here, with Kotor (let's face it) being the most obvious one.

Plus, if it would be a surprise announcement with this teaser screen, it means LucasArts uses Kotors popularity to boost it. Which would be stupid. And get fans pissed.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #90
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Still, they need to get paid something for these games because they license them.

Hmm, here's something I'm curious about. If the other companies make the games, who decides how much they cost, Lucasarts or the other company?
LucasArts since they are the ones funding the project.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #91
Corinthian
Banned

You know what I really am hoping for?

It turns out to be Star Wars: Rebel Assault 3.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #92
TheRogueForums
Rookie

Oh, I am all about the company making its money. To fund the game, a set amount of money is put up, which pays for development, salaries for the developers, marketing and promotion, and so on. And the pay-off for this comes from the game sales, after the fact. So, of course, the company is looking to recover its funds, and get some profit as well. That's fine. Make your money- just do not be greedy about it.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #93
Rathoris
Rookie

ok let's face it. The style of the art on the invite and the style of the letters indicate this has to be something KoToR related. Bioware has stated on several occasions that they are NOT working on KoToR III. Have they ever denied working on a KoToR MMO, no... not ever.
Do the math
Rathoris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #94
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar View Post
Thank you for telling me, Ara. I've wondered about that for several months now.

Quote:
Make your money- just do not be greedy about it.
I have yet to figure out why they're so greedy. Somehow I doubt you're going to comvince me that they are, and somehow I doubt that I'm going to convince you they aren't, so I suggest we end this debate.

Back on topic: Yea, this has to be KOTOR related. Read above post.

Short stories:

Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #95
Pikmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathoris View Post
ok let's face it. The style of the art on the invite and the style of the letters indicate this has to be something KoToR related. Bioware has stated on several occasions that they are NOT working on KoToR III. Have they ever denied working on a KoToR MMO, no... not ever.
Do the math

And? People lie...
Pikmin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #96
Christos K
Forumite

I still refuse to believe either... I am still fully hoping for K3 and than a GOOD KotOR MMO afterwards. And about the whole MMOs make more money well we all know that anything branded with Lucas___ pays George Lucas some how or another and I know George Lucas is smart man who will probably want the best so that he also comes out good. And like before people lie look at the whole Gears of War 2 thing everyone was constantly asking about and soon enough here we have GoW2 and look at Halo we were bugging about Halo 4 (LOL YAH RIGHT) and they said they had projects for a Marathon series but now we are getting a Halo 3 expansion pack. Companies lie and who knows maybe LucasArts is instead of just making a Star Wars version of every game out there they are going to make something not done yet maybe K3 will include a multiplayer mode so big and entertaining they are asking for MMO groups to come check it out.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #97
mattig89ch

one can only hope at this point.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #98
RyuuKage

just pray to whatever you happen to pray to (and if nothing, just go with the Force, lol) that they announce (KO)TOR MMO and KOTOR3 as being jointly produced or something...
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #99
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
how is that ever gonna happen!? You don't even need to pray, just sit back and listen to the announcement. I think that since the date is approaching all we can do is wait until it comes in seven days time.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 AM   #100
Clone L68362
Forumite

THE WAIT IS OVER

Just wait a few more days.

*Sigh* Please be KOTOR 3. Not KOTORMMO (nice acronym). But if it is...I'll look at it, and pray it's good.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #101
Christos K
Forumite

This is what we should all be hoping for I dont care if you just want the KotOR MMO if so find a doctor.
1. It is KotOR 3 and if it ends up being the KotOR MMO it is wonderful.
or
2. It is a joint project of KotOR 3 and KotOR MMO that started after K2.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #102
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Good to hear there is "something' coming out, Biowar does great work. I will look forward to the news with great anticipation and enjoyment whatever it is, and will very much enjoy seeing more of the remarkable KOTOR universe if it is indeed part of that. Good to see such lively discourse! The Force be with us all.

Wait you will, comes what comes it will.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #103
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I'm telling you, the premise is sound- a game where you can meet up with friends, go trample thousands of gizkas, and wield glow sticks of doom.
Fixed.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #104
Christos K
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Fixed.
lol yes this is what will happen. Maybe a few Boma Beasts for good loot and exp.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #105
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar View Post
According to EA CEO John Riccitiello, EA is "funding the MMO in Austin" though that doesn't necessarily mean LucasArts isn't putting money into the development effort along with EA. No way to really know without someone from EA or LucasArts actually going on the record about how the funding is working for this project.

EDIT: No, I don't know who will set the price for the game. I just wanted to clarify that EA is apparently providing some level of funding for it.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Last edited by Char Ell; 10-15-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added comment
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #106
MasterWaffle
Rookie

I am ignoring this announcement until Monday! I'd like to keep my hopes at their usual depressing level until I've got a real reason to be excited. Or disappointed. Either is possible!

MasterWaffle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #107
Christos K
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWaffle View Post
I am ignoring this announcement until Monday! I'd like to keep my hopes at their usual depressing level until I've got a real reason to be excited. Or disappointed. Either is possible!
Agreed why dont we all just shut up until than and go out of out minds when it happens and the fate of the galaxy (and a whole bunch of Star Wars fans) is decided.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #108
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Hmmm well if I remember correctly(and someone can read through the pages of the speculation thread) Bioware did indeed deny working on a KotOR MMO.

Truthfully, it is more likely an MMO since Massively.com does not deal with SPRPG's. Why would they be invited if there was no MMO to be announced?

Personally though, I would rather see a Mass Effect MMO and a KotOR SPRPG. Anyone who's played the PC version of Mass Effect could see how it would make a great MMO. Just make colonization a possibility. Add in a crafting trade or three. A few different ships you can own.... several more quest lines... boom MMO
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #109
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
According to EA CEO John Riccitiello, EA is "funding the MMO in Austin" though that doesn't necessarily mean LucasArts isn't putting money into the development effort along with EA. No way to really know without someone from EA or LucasArts actually going on the record about how the funding is working for this project.
Does LucasArts prepay for work being done? I don't know how LucasArts does buisness; thus, I thought someone may have the answer.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #110
Christos K
Forumite

I truly think that the last Star Wars game that was perfect was probably one of the Rogue Leader Squadron games. KotOR lacked some things, KotOR 2 lacked alot of things, EAW got really old really quick, Jedi Knight series just got worse and worse atleast that guy is making KOTF for JKJA. Republic Commando fell at customization and was the casual Star Wars version of some game. BattleFront lacks LOTS of physics in the game itself and the 1st one lacked story. I kind of feel The Force Unleashed was like a Star Wars version of Assasins Creed. I mean KotOR was probably one of the best Star Wars game series and it is slowly going to waste, It had probably the largest modding community... But like I said we will soon find out 5 days 120 hours.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #111
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
Does LucasArts prepay for work being done? I don't know how LucasArts does buisness; thus, I thought someone may have the answer.
Someone has to pay for the software/technology licensing, equipment, facility and the salaries of the development team during the course of creating the game. It's usually the publisher who provides funding for these activities. Will this game be co-published by EA and LucasArts? I don't know the answer to that question but I think chances are good we'll find out soon.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #112
prasys
Rookie

All we can do is wait and see. I mean It can end up being something else and not Kotor related at all. Let's see if its a SRPG or a MMORPG. After all , our prayers will be answered this Monday (Hopefully)
prasys is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 01:34 AM   #113
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
our prayers will be answered this Monday (Hopefully)
and i'm gonna get there before all'a ya's!
(afaik where i live is one of the first countries to see the sun )

"the wait is over"? i think not! they're announcing it on monday... when are they going to *release* it?
more waiting! noooooooo!

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #114
Christos K
Forumite

I will not stop believing it will be K3 and a KotOR MMO

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #115
Burnseyy
Forumite

I don't really care if it's an MMO. It's still KOTOR, and if it comes out, then I'm buying.
I'd prefer if it were an ordinary RPG, like K1 & K2, but even if that doesn't happen, I won't be disappointed.
a K3 RPG would be difficult anyway... I mean, the story is already laid out, as well as the characters.

"If God is a DJ, then life is a dance floor, love is the rhythm and you are the music."

Burnseyy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #116
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
It matters not to me... just end the cliffhanger that's been there for five years and tell the story! The game would be nice, but I'm more interested in knowing how it ends.

If I had to choose, I would prefer something significantly different than the last two, so long as it has the inventory / influence / multi character use and I'm happy.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #117
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
The wait isn't over for me. I'm going to ignore this MMO when it releases and view it as a bad mistake made by LA. And when that happens, I'll still be waiting for the true KoTOR 3 to be released.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #118
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Knight View Post
The wait isn't over for me. I'm going to ignore this MMO when it releases and view it as a bad mistake made by LA. And when that happens, I'll still be waiting for the true KoTOR 3 to be released.
Good luck there. I wondered if the 4th Warcraft would come out after WoW, being that WoW was an MMO.

Whats it been now... getting close to 5 years or so?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #119
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
You think I don't know that? lol, I'm known to be a very patient man.

Unfortunatly, I'm afraid I'm one of those people who dislike the idea of the new kotor game being an MMO.
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #120
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

I'm fine with an MMO, as long the price per month/year is affordable.

Short stories:

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > The Wait is Over...