lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Revan, the Republic, The True Sith, and KotOR III.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #41
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuKage View Post
Ah, but this clears that bit up at least. There is no unknown Darth. Revan's Sith died with the Triumvirate on Malachor V. The Sith Order to which Sidious and Bane belong would almost certainly be formed from the True Sith empire that's come into the spotlight in TOR. At least that's wrapped up in a neat package, even if most everything else still isn't.

What did they do to SWG now? lol
Yes, there was. Look him up on Wookieepedia and look at the sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
You seriously think your story ideas are to par with a professional writer's, Zerimar?
I know they are. But what I've posted here doesn't necessarily count as they are just theories. The other things I write are great ideas, I've been told. It's all about the characters. Mediocre writers have a story with characters; great writers have characters with a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #42
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur View Post
I think that we all know by now that K3 is not going to be made. I came to that realization last night, and I'd rather not be reminded of it.
Agreed

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #43
Yar-El
Banned

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
Well, they've shown a lack of creativity by selecting the weakest of many possible connects to the "true Sith": that they are Ludo Kresh's Sith that fled from Korriban and Ziost after the great Hyperspace War in 5,000 BBY. This was the most obvious connection, but it was also the weakest.
I have always thought the Star Wars Database was correct. Keeping things grounded in already established lore is a good idea. Its all about how you mold the foreward story. I have no quams with BioWare commiting to EU canon. Lack of creativity? Nah. Maybe everyone's expectations are too high.

Just look at the Star Wars Database and you will get your answers. True Sith was being interpreted by fans with too much complexity. Everyone ignored the Star Wars Database.
Yar-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #44
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
But what I proposed is part of established EU. Unless you are referring to the rift theory -- that the technologically advanced Sith abandoned the primitive Sith on Ziost, accounting for why the exiled Dark Jedi found a primitive, easily-conquered species. This is just speculation, of course, but a much needed one. This is a problem that the EU has never addressed thus far.

I'll give you the fact that, yes, perhaps my expectations were too high. However, such high expectations were hardly unfounded. After all, the "true Sith" were a gimmick used to instill in fans a sense of awe and wonder over the idea that they've got this enigmatic, unique organization planned for the future of the series; something totally original (or at least partially) that we've never seen before.

That said, it was quite reasonable for so many fans to expect something a little more unique than what it turned out to be, which was the easiest and least imaginative choice.

deleted the quote of a now-deleted post, so I went ahead and deleted the response because it didn't make sense otherwise. --Jae

Quote:
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 10-23-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #45
Corinthian
Banned

You write Fanfic. Now you want Bioware to turn your fanfic into a game.

I honestly don't think I need to say anything else.

My grandma always said, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it.' Keep comments constructive, even if you disagree with some or all the points in the story. --Jae

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 10-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #46
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
No, I don't write fan fiction. No, I've written no Knights of the Old Republic fan fiction that I want Bioware to turn into a game. I've written theories in this thread that I thought would have made a better plot premise than what they have announced. And I never said any of the stories that I do write were Star Wars-related. I write original stories. I think you're grabbing for anything now that you know you've been checkmated.

Learn to listen and think before you speak so as to spare yourself from sounding like an idiot.

I don't think I need to say anything else as well, either.

Quote:

Last edited by Zerimar Nyliram; 10-24-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #47
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
And I think you both need to get this thread off of Zerimar's writing and back on track. It would really make reading this thread a lot more enjoyable.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
mattig89ch

This is going to flop and then LA will drop the franchise...its not far.
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #49
Pikmin

Please don't say that, we need this to succeed. The only that will happen though is if everyone maintains a positive attitude about it.
Pikmin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #50
mattig89ch

The only way for this to succede is if LA can convice players that this is better then the MMO they're currently playing. And just offering "The Star Wars Experience" isn't going to cut it. Because we all could just pop in KOTOR and get the experience for free.

Lets face it:
Force = Majic
Speeder = Horse
Blaster = Bow and Arrow
Clans = well...clans

They have to find something that Games like Eve or WOW just don't have. Does anyone seriously think that LA is smart enough to figure that out before they release this?
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM   #51
Rathoris
Rookie

actually i think they will be able to do just that. And with Bioware there the game is sure to bring innovation to the MMO space.
I really dislike paying a mounthly fee but if they make the game as good as i think it could be i prolly will. Open beta please
Rathoris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #52
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Well, they said that they're going to have this MMO focus largely on story, so yea, I think this thing has a pretty dang good chance.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #53
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Except an MMO can't have a story in the same way a SPRPG can. It just can't. It can have deep, complex quest-type things and such, but as far as a real cohesive storyline goes, I don't see how it can possibly happen.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #54
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Except an MMO can't have a story in the same way a SPRPG can. It just can't. It can have deep, complex quest-type things and such, but as far as a real cohesive storyline goes, I don't see how it can possibly happen.
Well, it can if the MMO aspects are limited to a few really hard quests or raids and battleground places.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #55
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
True. However, I'm hoping that Bioware has figured out a good way to integrate a deep story into an MMO. (crosses fingers for luck)

Short stories:

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #56
Corinthian
Banned

Two words, Doctor.

Guild Wars.

They design this like Guild Wars, and there will be no problems. Just have all the quests be instanced and it's fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #57
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
If LucasArts kills the Knights of the Old Republic franchise, I'm sure Dark Horse and Lucas Books will continue it in literary form. There's an ongoing comic series out there right now, and a novel has already been announced.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #58
Pikmin

They said there will be very minimal instancing.

Quote:
If LucasArts kills the Knights of the Old Republic franchise,
Hmm BioWare created the KotOR franchise I don't think they'll be the ones to kill it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #59
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Bioware developed it. All stories, plot outlines, characters and game ideas came from LucasArts.

But that's irrelevant. The point of my post is what I said about continuing the franchise in other media if the game portion of said franchise implodes on itself.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #60
Pikmin

Quote:
All stories, plot outlines, characters and game ideas came from LucasArts.
Umm, actually BioWare creates the stuff, LA approves it or dissaproves it. I remember very well Avellone(lead K2 developer) talking about how the K2 team at OE came up with the story.

Seriously if LA created everything that the game relies on for it to be a game why didn't they do it themselves?

I do not think the game portion is going to die. Anyway, where can I read info about the new novel other than that it MIGHT be a TOR tie-in(if it is it might be about what happened to Revan.)

The Old republic series is great:

Tales of the Jedi - Dark Horse Comics.
Knights of the Old Republic - Dark Horse Comics.
Knights of the Old Republic - BioWare Corp.
The Sith Lords - Obsidian Entertainment.
The Old Republic - BioWare Corp.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #61
Clone L68362
Forumite

So the story is basically

Revan disappeared
No mention of any other KOTOR characters
Sith come and attack the Republic a few years later (original!)
The Sith offer peace terms to the Republic? Are you ****ing serious?

This is dumb as hell...

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #62
Corinthian
Banned

Makes perfect sense to me. The Sith are content with the piece of the Galaxy they carved away with the Republic and are re-arming and getting all their infrastructure ready for Phase Two. Meanwhile, the Republic is licking it's wounds.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #63
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikmin View Post
Umm, actually BioWare creates the stuff, LA approves it or dissaproves it. I remember very well Avellone(lead K2 developer) talking about how the K2 team at OE came up with the story.

Seriously if LA created everything that the game relies on for it to be a game why didn't they do it themselves?
Sorry, my mistake. The real point of my post still stands, though.

Quote:
I do not think the game portion is going to die. Anyway, where can I read info about the new novel other than that it MIGHT be a TOR tie-in(if it is it might be about what happened to Revan.)
Here's some info on it. It seems that it will assuredly not be answering the question of what happened to Revan as it will be set before the first game. So I have no idea when or how they will answer the question on everyone's minds. Perhaps the comic series will reach the time of the events just prior to the first game, skip a few years and cover the events between the games, and then skip a few more years relate what occurs after the second game? Perhaps there will be a second novel if the first is popular enough?

Or perhaps they'll leave this mystery to our imaginations, just as they are doing with Yoda's and Palpatine's pasts? Sometimes that's the best way to go. People can draw their own conclusions.

Edit: Ah, this is probably referring to Irvine's upcoming Nomi Sunrider novel. So yeah, this probably means no KOTOR book.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #64
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I agree with Pikmin, we need to keep supportive and give them a chance to do their work, they are trying very hard and have been very candid. I am looking forward to this greatly.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #65
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah, I've decided to wait and see and hope for the best.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2008, 03:25 AM   #66
raven10
Rookie

another wait! naaah, not this time, people waited for years just to get betrayed with this swtor or whatever, even forced out.
raven10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #67
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

i *really* want tor to be good. for the sake of kotor. but then looking at the decisions LA has made, its making me cringe. come on, LA, BioWare, *PLEASE* dont screw it up
this hype about the 4th pillar: story is what redeemed it my my eyes somewhat... but after seeing the posts on the hype about tfu, im cringing agin.
*cringe*

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #68
selty
Rookie

No matter how we look at it, though, LA, Bioware and EA have just let all of us fans down.

They upset me so much doing that. Not only was it random, it was uncalled-for. Imagine doing something like this for all the HP fans, or the like? It's exactly the same.
selty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #69
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by selty View Post
No matter how we look at it, though, LA, Bioware and EA have just let all of us fans down.

They upset me so much doing that. Not only was it random, it was uncalled-for. Imagine doing something like this for all the HP fans, or the like? It's exactly the same.
Yes. The millions of Kotor members who joined the new MMO forums proof your point that they are disappointed.
With all the respect, MMO's are a new genre. Like sandbox was a little while ago. MMO's are a way of allowing millions of players to interact, unlike normal games, where 15 v.s. 15 multi player matches were the ultimate on-line format.

Plus, I get the feeling most people are just...angry because if the possible $ the game comes with.
And, like many have said before, get a job then. Even a lousy job like mine will get me easily enough to play.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #70
Corinthian
Banned

This doesn't exactly preclude the chance of a KotoR III anyway. But people will complain about anything, and trying to stop them is like trying to stop an oncoming freight train with your bare hands.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #71
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
This doesn't exactly preclude the chance of a KotoR III anyway. But people will complain about anything, and trying to stop them is like trying to stop an oncoming freight train with your bare hands.
Exactly...there's 300 years in between. ALL the space for a Kotor 3. it just grinds my gears how people complain without reading the material.

Nice metaphor though.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #72
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

But nothing important happens in those 300 years. "Revan never returned" is the last The Republic heard of him.

Anything that KOTOR III could be about is that Revan and the Exiled failed and were never seen again.
Non-false Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #73
Corinthian
Banned

Why on Earth would Revan WANT to come back? The Republic kind of sucks.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #74
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-false Jedi View Post
But nothing important happens in those 300 years. "Revan never returned" is the last The Republic heard of him.

Anything that KOTOR III could be about is that Revan and the Exiled failed and were never seen again.
So...only if Revan or the Exile are 'there' something interesting happens? I think the rebuilding of the Jedi order, rebuilding of the Republic, rise of the Sith, War for Coruscant disagree with you.

Plus, indeed, Revan left with a reason. He told Carth and Bastilla to fix it. Why do so if you plan to go back?

Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #75
Darth_vilas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
So...only if Revan or the Exile are 'there' something interesting happens? I think the rebuilding of the Jedi order, rebuilding of the Republic, rise of the Sith, War for Coruscant disagree with you.

Plus, indeed, Revan left with a reason. He told Carth and Bastilla to fix it. Why do so if you plan to go back?
Perhaps to visit his mom?

You have a interresting point, Revan maybe never has intended to return. Maybe he died in battle with the "true" sith (I never got that term, does it make Revan, Kreia and Sidious not-so-true sith?). Maybe he isn't dead.
We just don't know. All we know that on record he hasn't returned to the republic (maybe he did, maybe he returned under a different name, found Shan and Onasi and said what was going to happen, and then retire)
Also, maybe TOR will explain the sith and soldiers in FOC.
Darth_vilas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #76
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

Of course he'd want to come back. That's where all his loved ones are. The point I was making is whatever adventure we expected for KOTOR III doesn't happen because the True Sith are not stopped in that time becaus they showed up in TOR.

The Rebuilding of the Republic will happen anyway after 3 Centuries of relative peace. Not exactly the subject of a thrilling RPG.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #77
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Of course he'd want to come back. That's where all his loved ones are. The point I was making is whatever adventure we expected for KOTOR III doesn't happen because the True Sith are not stopped in that time becaus they showed up in TOR.

The Rebuilding of the Republic will happen anyway after 3 Centuries of relative peace. Not exactly the subject of a thrilling RPG.
Again, you don't KNOW that. Upto 10 years ago, we thought the Republic had 25.000 years of peace untill the movies. Enter Exar Kun, Revan, The Sith, the Great Schisms. Upto four months ago, we though the Rebellion was created by political enemies of Palpatine, not by a Jedi who opposed Palpatine and became their symbol.
I mean to say: Many NOT-true sith related exciting stuff can happen in 300 years. Even an expedition that goes horribly wrong....in which you meet the True Sith and join Revan and the Exile in their battle.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #78
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

I never interpreted that as there was peace for 25,000 years. Just the Jedi Order was the Republic's guardians for that time. Which is still true, in essence.

But we know they fail. How can you make an RPG with only garanteed defeat as its 1 outcome?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #79
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I never interpreted that as there was peace for 25,000 years. Just the Jedi Order was the Republic's guardians for that time. Which is still true, in essence.

But we know they fail. How can you make an RPG with only garanteed defeat as its 1 outcome?
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you
More too the overall Star Wars data. Back then, people though Darth was Vaders actual name. Until Darth Maul came along, proving it to be a title. Same with the comics and all everything can happen if you have some space on the timeline!

I see your point about the guaranteed defeat. But imagine this:
If you find a fully operational Sith community there. And you join Revan and the Exile. Those Sith invade 300 years later. Maybe the player caused it? 300-style last stand?

Of course, building a game around it wouldn't work. But an epic finale? Fighting aside those uber Jedi, slaughtering hordes of Sith, setting them back 300 years, dying heroically, virtually saving the Republic.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #80
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

we really dont know too much right now... it said that 'revan never returned', not 'revan died'. they said the 'many of the characters have passed away'. and then it says that 'some droids can last a long time as well. so maybe someone is still around? in star wars, people can live far longer than us, the same way people are living longer right now than any previous time because of our advanced tech. i remember reading of someone in the star wars galaxy living till 130 years or something, and that was considered normal. a force user might be able to stretch that... the sith emperor did, maybe revan or someone else as well? (*maybe* of course) or perhaps carbonite? i just want them to release the game so we can find out!!
and who had the kids that had kids that had kids that are going to be in the game?! shock1

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Revan, the Republic, The True Sith, and KotOR III.