Thread: Why bother playing Jedi?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Why bother playing Jedi?

What is the point of playing Jedi when you have to follow rules and are limited in what you can do

Yet a Sith only should have to worry about other sith who might see them as a threat.. yet I doubt we will ever see that happen in the game.. we certainly didn't see that in SW:Galaxies.

So in short, SIth get to do whatever they want, with no restrictions, and would think becoming a Jedi as punishment. Yet Jedi have to be Galactic Boy scouts or risk becoming sith themselves.

seems kinda unfair

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Sith:
-Yah. I'd love to compete to the death with fellow classmates for the function of apprentice.
-Yah, I love the wrinkles and corrupted body you get when you go DS.
-Yah, you can't heal yourself with the Force. Seems unlucky in a war.
-Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Not a nice environment.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Kinnison View Post
So in short, SIth get to do whatever they want, with no restrictions, and would think becoming a Jedi as punishment. Yet Jedi have to be Galactic Boy scouts or risk becoming sith themselves.

seems kinda unfair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality

In all seriousness it's been made clear that the Jedi feel a calling in their lives much like priests, monks, and others that dedicate themselves to an ideal. They believe in peace and only use fighting as self-defense. While a Jedi believes in discipline and restraint the Sith lust for power and domination.

Plus we all know that the Sith have way higher insurance premiums on their cruisers with such aggressive drivers
RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
O yeah,

being Sith does not come with dental care in it's insurance package...

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
RyuuKage

jedi tend to live longer XD
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
tKon
Lurker

They live longer as a whole yes, but individually I'd say vice versa. That is to say that you would be striving to become the strongest Sith. If ya don't you're a goner While Jedi will accept any body that plays by the "rules".
tKon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Do you really think the game designers will create a perma-death for Sith characters? Otherwise it is rather pointless to use it as an argument

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Kinnison View Post
Do you really think the game designers will create a perma-death for Sith characters? Otherwise it is rather pointless to use it as an argument
it was a joke, but now that you bring that up....

how exactly would the constant struggle against your Sith associates work when everyone respawns? You might beat one guy in a fair fight, beat a second, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere the first guy comes in and whollops your severely weakened self...the Sith mentality kinda requires perma-death to function properly or it's just an endless civil war. Maybe they'll judge by the number of victories or something...
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuKage View Post
it was a joke, but now that you bring that up....

how exactly would the constant struggle against your Sith associates work when everyone respawns? You might beat one guy in a fair fight, beat a second, and then all of a sudden out of nowhere the first guy comes in and whollops your severely weakened self...the Sith mentality kinda requires perma-death to function properly or it's just an endless civil war. Maybe they'll judge by the number of victories or something...
They won't have perma death for that exact reason. Nobody wants to get ganked after a hard fight by an annoying player and have to start the game all over from scratch.

They will probably have something like WoW's arena system. Battles between players of the same faction will be pitted, non-deathmatch events. And yeah, this is gonna run contrary to the Sith idea of kill or be killed, but lets face it, they're gonna have to do it that way if they want to keep players happy.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
They won't have perma death for that exact reason. Nobody wants to get ganked after a hard fight by an annoying player and have to start the game all over from scratch.

They will probably have something like WoW's arena system. Battles between players of the same faction will be pitted, non-deathmatch events. And yeah, this is gonna run contrary to the Sith idea of kill or be killed, but lets face it, they're gonna have to do it that way if they want to keep players happy.
yeah, that would work. Plus, they could always be a little divergent from the usual Sith...I mean, they probably want as much cannon-fodder Sith as possible for the war, after all. XD
Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Well for one, Sith would be vulnerable to both Jedi and Sith. So if we're in a Jedi-Sith fight, one Sith may just slaughter the other. The Jedi, on the other hand will work together in a team.

But I'm sure there will be some sort of balancing mechanisms anyways. :/

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #12
knight 12167
Rookie

I have he perfect soloution

a grey jedi

Never was anything great achieved without danger.
knight 12167 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Well for one, Sith would be vulnerable to both Jedi and Sith. So if we're in a Jedi-Sith fight, one Sith may just slaughter the other. The Jedi, on the other hand will work together in a team.

But I'm sure there will be some sort of balancing mechanisms anyways. :/
You have a rather good point here

The dev's did mention the 'Sith training.' And everyone remembering the Kotor 1 Sith training knows how that goes...being rewards for killing fellow classmates...it's the essence of the Sith. But how to put it in the game? Like you said, balance is lost is the Sith turn on each other.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #14
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Why bother with being either when you can be a scoundrel and have fun without being killed by both. er well hunted...

wait... darnit.. bounty hunters.... and other smugglers... and disreputable buyers... and reputable buyers... and....
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
Just play as a Jawa and hide from everyone!

Maybe the thing will be arranged so that only so many people get to become Sith every...week? Month? Whatever, anyway - maybe there will be, as suggested, non-deathmatch contests, tournaments, to decide who gets to ascend in that cycle.

SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #16
Istorian

Helpful! 
I'd personally like to play as a Jedi, and co-operate with the other Jedi to kill Sith...The master-apprentice system that works in SW Galaxies is a very good example of how the relationship between master and apprentice should go...But that's just my opinion.

|I|

Istorian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuKage View Post
jedi tend to live longer XD
Non-force users like smugglers live longer since they avoid confrontations when possible. Jedi are always battling Sith and weighed down by restrictions; while the Sith face everyone and themselves.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #18
RC-2067 "Evo"
Rookie

Sith are awesome, don't get me wrong, but it comes down to power or doing what's right. It feels good to do the right thing, even if it's in a game.
RC-2067 "Evo" is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
LordVader1
Banned

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
I dont agree. JEDI ROCK.
LordVader1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #20
Master Finch
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II / RB2
To be honest, the Jedi will always be the winners. You don't need fancy lightning skills or fancy choking skills when you've got Stasis Field to freeze people and Force Wave to stun people.

That was seriously overpowered in KotOR. I even Force Confusion'd Sion and he didn't hurt me.

If you wish peace, prepare for war.

Master Finch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #21
DarthJacen
Forumite

Wow, this was a huge necro! Some of the posts from the top are from the first day! I, think, the devs have covered this content in their recent E3 interviews, so if anyone needs reminding. It's on the Internet somewhere.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #22
berryla
Lurker

Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Removed Signature - Please note that links to Gold Selling websites are against our rules - LFTOR Staff.
berryla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Finch View Post
To be honest, the Jedi will always be the winners. You don't need fancy lightning skills or fancy choking skills when you've got Stasis Field to freeze people and Force Wave to stun people.

That was seriously overpowered in KotOR. I even Force Confusion'd Sion and he didn't hurt me.
I agree on that
Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #24
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Sith:
-Yah. I'd love to compete to the death with fellow classmates for the function of apprentice.
. . .
-Everyone will be preying on your position. The strongest one wins.

Not a nice environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
O yeah,

being Sith does not come with dental care in it's insurance package...

So, are you saying that the Sith operate in a fully free market and the Jedi are unionised?

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #25
Droma Nise
Rookie

I think every class will have it limitations
Droma Nise is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Ascended_Mike
Rookie

Current Game: SW:Kotor1 & 2
I reckon that sith killing sith will be done in dialogue choices and campaign etc, killing NPCs as you train? But that's just me...

Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead.
Ascended_Mike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #27
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
So, are you saying that the Sith operate in a fully free market and the Jedi are unionised?
Of course the Jedi are unionised.
Anakin instantly got an arm prosthetic after losing one. That's normally a huge pile of paperwork. Would you claim it was a work-related accident or clumsiness? Also, I bet a large number of Jedi survived order 66 but kind of lost the right to demonstrate when Palpatine took power and hid.
They're unionised, proven.

And name me a Sith without mental, physical or dental damage.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #28
J4ngo
Rookie

Current Game: star wars the old republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar View Post
Non-force users like smugglers live longer since they avoid confrontations when possible. Jedi are always battling Sith and weighed down by restrictions; while the Sith face everyone and themselves.
lol im gonna have a bounty hunter character,a trooper character,and if possible a imperial agent character
so the people who are looking to be a force user should watch their step...
J4ngo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #29
J4ngo
Rookie

Current Game: star wars the old republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Finch View Post

noooooooo jedi's aren't always winners.no one profession or person is always a winner. i killed a few force users in some star wars games, I even killed a planet of soldiers in the star wars games so stop saying 1 prof is overpowered cuz it DEPENDS on YOUR play style.
J4ngo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers... at least as their main character.

I feel so alone.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #31
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers... at least as their main character.

I feel so alone.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:

I feel so alone.
Which is ironic since they work in squads.
I still hope the balance will be allright...that people will think and play something else then Jedi. That's why I'm going for Sith...I bet the balance on Imperial side will be better considering tere's Bounty Hunters and snipers in there too, which will appeal more to people then Trooper and Smuggler...although that cowboy-hat-style smuggler looked cool...

Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #33
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
From the looks of it, very few people are gonna end up being troopers...
If they didn't dress them like jobbing actors and extras from three thousand years in the future they may get a few more applicants.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #34
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Eh, I was wrong, there were plenty of troopers in beta... saw more troopers than I did smugglers on ord mantell and coruscant.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #35
mattig89ch

I choose jedi knight for my playtime in the beta.

I was going to go back and play as a councelor cause I saw them throwing boulders around like it was nothing. Really wanted to do some of that. but it seems the server is down indefenitally

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #36
mattig89ch

belive it or not, i subbed to this game for a while, made a few sith toons. sith was a blast!

I was going LS, and some of the comment choices were awesome! I was such a jackass, and doing the right thing at the same time. I tell you, if you want to have fun and do good at the same time, sith is the way to go.

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #37
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I think the Jedi class sucks, they are lousy in fights against tough enemies no mater how hard you try, Sith eat them for lunch. I think whoever designed the balances hated Jedi and made them a miserable class to play. I suspect that is one of the reasons so many people stopped playing the game. I am going to try again but i tell you being a Jedi is a really lousy way to go. You dont get a healer until the mid 30 levels and you suffer for it all along the way no matter how good you are at the buffs etc. at least that is my experience. Be warned. Jedi are pansies in this game.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisG View Post
I think the Jedi class sucks, they are lousy in fights against tough enemies no mater how hard you try, Sith eat them for lunch. I think whoever designed the balances hated Jedi and made them a miserable class to play. I suspect that is one of the reasons so many people stopped playing the game. I am going to try again but i tell you being a Jedi is a really lousy way to go. You dont get a healer until the mid 30 levels and you suffer for it all along the way no matter how good you are at the buffs etc. at least that is my experience. Be warned. Jedi are pansies in this game.
I'm not trying to be mean here but... the Jedi class is just fine, it's just that you specifically seem to have a lot of trouble with it. With a player who has even mid-level skills, the Jedi Knight is a very effective class that can hit pretty hard and take quite a lot of punishment.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #39
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
It just depends on your preference, but in PVE I find all the classes pretty balanced. Yes, there are easier class for solo leveling. I know Agent, Shadow and Scoundrel are easier, because they have stealth and longer CCs. However, with the knight I have found I don't need Stealth, CCs or even a healer. I just kill the bad guy before he kills me.

You will not get any sympathy from me. I solo leveled sawbones for my first toon with no knowledge of rotation, equipment and a kill everything mentality. I died out in every boss fight, had to farm credits just to pay for repair bills. I was just too stubborn or stupid to quit.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
I'm not trying to be mean here but... the Jedi class is just fine, it's just that you specifically seem to have a lot of trouble with it. With a player who has even mid-level skills, the Jedi Knight is a very effective class that can hit pretty hard and take quite a lot of punishment.
Well... it can be tough during some of the boss fights until you get Doc. Especially as a tank. The many interrupts the Knight has help, though.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Origin Worlds > Why bother playing Jedi?