View Poll Results: Will you buy and play TOR is you have to pay for it like Galaxies?
Yes 44 61.97%
No 27 38.03%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Will you buy and play TOR if you have to pay for it like Galaxies?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #41
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Isn't that what everyone does with anything?
Why yes, Captain Obvious.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #42
Zayne Carrick
Rookie

I will buy it no matter what! Because you never know what may happen.
Zayne Carrick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #43
Zakalwe
Rookie

Without a doubt. This will 99% certain be a pay to play but it will be worth it I'm sure (I hope!!).

SWTOR - The Old Republic Forum
May the TORF be with you...
Zakalwe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #44
Sedias

On average (and assuming it will be on average) $15/month isn't a lot of money for anyone who has a job or some kind of regular income. The reason for paying? Simple: server maintenance and upkeep costs. It costs money to operate servers, and keep them running ship shape with a high uprate. Just like when you're playing an FPS. Sure, you can play for free by joining other peoples servers but down the line someone is paying for that server. It just doesn't magically appear. In an MMO there are a lot of servers that house thousands of players. These cost money. Solution: monthly fees. And of course let's not forget patch content (not expansions) and the developers working to keep the balance issues in check, etc.

So yes, I'll pay per month. Of course if after the first month (which is normally included with purchase) I'm not satisfied then I'll just cancel and move on.
Sedias is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #45
Zakalwe
Rookie

I guess the one thing I like about this type of pay to play gamje is that it keeps the kids out.

SWTOR - The Old Republic Forum
May the TORF be with you...
Zakalwe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #46
Sedias

Yes and no. There are many parents who will blindly hand over their credit cards to their kids just to keep them off their backs. At least that is my hypothesis or explanation for all the "kiddies" I've run into in World of Warcraft and other MMOs (Warhammer was pretty bad too). Or, just immature adults. But then again I guess any online game has it's share of both mature and non.
Sedias is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #47
DAWUSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedias View Post
On average (and assuming it will be on average) $15/month isn't a lot of money for anyone who has a job or some kind of regular income. The reason for paying? Simple: server maintenance and upkeep costs. It costs money to operate servers, and keep them running ship shape with a high uprate. Just like when you're playing an FPS. Sure, you can play for free by joining other peoples servers but down the line someone is paying for that server. It just doesn't magically appear. In an MMO there are a lot of servers that house thousands of players. These cost money. Solution: monthly fees. And of course let's not forget patch content (not expansions) and the developers working to keep the balance issues in check, etc.

So yes, I'll pay per month. Of course if after the first month (which is normally included with purchase) I'm not satisfied then I'll just cancel and move on.
Something like banner ads on a launchpad screen could cover those costs.
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #48
WindraSkywalker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
One word suffices... no.
No one word isn't enough you need two, HELL NO!
WindraSkywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I wont be touching TOR if there is a fee to play, unless its yearly...
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #50
Darklink41
Rookie

What do you expect with modern MMOs? Yes I'll pay the fee, but in return for that fee I expect a damn good game! I pay to play FFXI and I don't regret it. The problem for me is will I quit FFXI if TOR is really awesome?
Paying will probably be demanded. It'll probably be monthly and, like most MMOs, it'll be ballpark $10-$15. I'd like to see multi platform though (i bet TOR would be sexy on the 360!)

Think of yourselves as a hand. Each of you is a finger, and without the others you're useless. Alone, a finger can't grasp, or control, or form a fist. You are nothing on your own, and everything together.

~Kal Skirata
Darklink41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #51
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Been said but bears repeating. Yes, yes, and yes. Guild wars lacks the quality of monthly. Service payed for MMO's why because they make less money on the sales. MMO's relying on advertising to pay for them also struggle because advertisers aren't able to make enough off of there adds to cover upkeep. Also ads take up bandwidth increasing latency and reducing the precious FPS. This leaves pay to play it is the most reliable source of steady income to provide for constant updates to hardware and maintenance. Oh and for the numerous masses that don't understand or know just the monthly overhead alone on a server farm from power totals in the 5-6 digit marker the more servers the higher that cost, this does not even cover the fact that most data centers employ anywhere from 5-20 network personal depending on size, each of the individuals has an average income of
$75k a year. Programming staff full time probably about 10-20 each with $50-75k a year salaries. If TOR haas a rough 1/4 the number of players that WOW has for it's first year then bioware will likely be breaking even if not still running red. After the first year is when these companies start reporting profits oh and profit is what keeps them in business because the shareholders who hold stock shares pull out if companies do not show a profit. So unless you have justification behind why you don't want to see your favorite video game companies stick around you should expect they will charge a monthly fee so that they may ultimately benefit you the consumer.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #52
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
I'll pay and play after I become financially stable, again....

Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #53
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Depends. If The piece of lowlife poodoo like $0ny $0E is having anything to do with it then OVER BY COLD DEAD BODY. $0ny fluxed up the last star wars MMO as we know it.

Otherwise it is all cool to pay a monthly fee for mmo, like WoW or something.

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired View Post
Depends. If The piece of lowlife poodoo like $0ny $0E is having anything to do with it then OVER BY COLD DEAD BODY. $0ny fluxed up the last star wars MMO as we know it.
Don't think you'll have to worry about that, between LucasArts and BioWare (EA) co-publishing and Activision probably distributing in the UK (at least they have for past LucasArts games), there are enough companies involved in this already.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #55
Aybara
Lurker

I have no problems paying a monthly fee for a game that is fun.

Even if it ends up being terrible... Server problems, Lack of End-Game Content, Grind fest, etc. I'm sure I would have put enough time into it to warrant the $50 purchase.

Most games usually last me a weekend to finish. I'm sure TOR will at least keep me occupied over one weekend.
Aybara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Will you buy and play TOR if you have to pay for it like Galaxies?