lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Voices
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Voices

I think that there should be more voiced dialouge with the main character. WARNING SPOILER like Revan in K1 he spoke battle taunts but none of the dialouge and exile in TSL said nothing. Does anybody other than me agree that the main character should have his/her dialouge voiced? I sure do.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
While not really "silent protagonists", I think Bioware and ...what's that other one...oh, Obsidian had the same types of qualities in mind when they decided to make Revan and the Exile "silent". Silent protagonists allow the player to better relate with the PC by being able to put themselves in their shoes without the PC fleshing themselves out with their own dialog. Of course, that point is sort of null with the dialog system in the KotOR games, I suppose, even if you are the one choosing the responses.

I think if, hypothetically, a KotOR III were to be made (which it's not), then having actual, voiced dialog would be a viable decision by the devs, especially after having played games like Mass Effect where cinematic conversations were implemented so well.

"Pick up that can."
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Well I think they got that area covered now since their release of Mass Effect. I don't think any future SPRPGs would have a silent protagonist, not even Naughty Dog's Jak or Rockstar's GTA protagonists stayed silent for long.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant_Justice View Post
I think if, hypothetically, a KotOR III were to be made (which it's not).
So there is not going to be a KOTOR III?

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmMaster View Post
not unless you count The Old Republic, a game that takes place 300 years after the fact as a true sequel.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Ascendant_Justice
Rookie

Current Game: Half Life 2 pending
Not to mention it's a MMO.

"Pick up that can."
Ascendant_Justice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar View Post
Well I think they got that area covered now since their release of Mass Effect. I don't think any future SPRPGs would have a silent protagonist, not even Naughty Dog's Jak or Rockstar's GTA protagonists stayed silent for long.
Heheheh. Yeah buddy.

Only means more writing for the story. I liked GTA's recipie of "you choose". Though I must say the only one where choosing *really* came together with voice is GTA4. The endings don't really change with gameplay in the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmMaster View Post
Probably not. I seriously doubt it to be likely (since fans have differing opinions that would determine how well it'd catch on), but a kotor mod might be possible...

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Voices