lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which perspective do you prefer?
1st person 4 18.18%
3rd person 7 31.82%
Either, I like them both. 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What makes a good fan-fiction?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
What makes a good fan-fiction?

Hello all. I'm trying to determine what people like to read. So, what do you prefer? 1st person perspective, or 3rd person perspective?

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
I prefer third person, probably because I'm terrible at writing first person.

Depends on how well it's written, really. Badly written third-person is just as annoying as badly-written first person.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
jrrtoken

Doesn't really matter to me. Although I prefer third person to be altogether more cohesive, there are certain things that can be written well in the first person. Gonzo journalism would be a good example of excellent first-person writing, even though Hunter S. Thompson is a bit... overly eccentric.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
It takes more than any particular person form to make good fan fiction. Unfortunately, the internet is full of people who... let's say "don't understand", and leave it at that. For civility purposes.

I usually prefer to write in third person, though certain techniques with the first person can be exquisite. I myself have used both, and actually found the first person piece I did more enjoyable to write. Which is really all that matters, in the end - if you're writing solely for an audience, you're doing it wrong.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Generally I like them both. But lately I find that I prefer to write in first person. In first person I can fully immerse myself properly in the fiction then I ever could. The techniques used in first person are a personal favorite of mine

I find far to many people write in third person however. Probably because most people start out writing in third person and never branch out. Most of them don't accept criticism either, however I have seen quite a few very exceptional fanfics written in third person.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
The first and second-person perspectives can serve more specialized purposes than the third, because they make it easier to conceal specific things from the reader.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Refresh my memory, what's second person again?

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

First person, I find it easier to write, easier to relate to and very immersive. It does a great job of sucking you into the story and keeping you addicted. The alternative is third person with great writing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
Refresh my memory, what's second person again?
You stood alone in a dark corridor. Winds swept clean the floor beneath you, and a piece of paper struck your ankle. You felt a prickling sensation in your skull as your bent down to pick up the inconspicuous parchment. The words in it made your eyes open wide and jaw drop, the words read: THIS IS SECOND PERSON.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
You stood alone in a dark corridor. Winds swept clean the floor beneath you, and a piece of paper struck your ankle. You felt a prickling sensation in your skull as your bent down to pick up the inconspicuous parchment. The words in it made your eyes open wide and jaw drop, the words read: THIS IS SECOND PERSON.
Oh, okay, thanks. It'd be hard to write a quality story like that, but probably would be masterpiece if done right.

Yes
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabish Bini View Post
Oh, okay, thanks. It'd be hard to write a quality story like that, but probably would be masterpiece if done right.
Every odd-numbered chapter in Italo Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller in written in the second person. The Vintage edition is a good translation if you can't read Italian.

Faulkner is also pretty famous for using the second person to address the reader. Absalom, Absalom! is filled with it if memory serves...

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

I'm assuming this book is a classic?

Yes
Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I prefer when it isn't written at all.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I have written both in the first person and the third. My triology set Heart of the Guardian is in the first person and was a huge feat for me since I had never conceived of writing in that mode before. Therefore I was surprised when members here found it enjoyable. I also found that some of my best scenes came from that expereince. Later incidents I wrote in the third mainly because of the amount of characters involved and the plot wouldn't have worked as well.

Both are a great experience to write with. All I say is that practice makes better. The more you work at it, the more you develop your sense of style.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
I prefer when it isn't written at all.
Then avoid this forum, please. There's no need to mock those of us who enjoy it.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
personally i write in third-person all the time because, if handled correctly, you can just as much detail, personality and depth from the character you're writing about as you would if it was written from a first-person perspective, without having restricted yourself to one character or having to tell a scene from only one perspective, and so on. i dislike first-person myself because i find it restrictive though obviously that doesn't mean good writing is restricted to third person.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Then avoid this forum, please. There's no need to mock those of us who enjoy it.
Tell me that one again about how you broke up the fight and were everyone's hero.

Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Samnmax221, that was completely uncalled for. He was merely pointing out that there are some of us who actually enjoy reading fan fiction. If you don't, it's okay for you to stay out of the Coruscant Entertainment Center.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Ease up on the throttle, Sam.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Thanks, Prime.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Third person is much easier to write, and generally easier to read. Having written my Jolee story in first person, I discovered I had to manipulate scenes in ways that my character could 'discover' information, because I was limited to her perspective only. If I'd written it in third person, it would have been much easier to describe things and give out quest clues.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I agree ^^. Third person/omniscient is much easier to write imo, as it grants you access to other character's thoughts, senses, rather than limiting you to your character's point of view. Personally I'm thinking of posting a fic, just not sure where to though...

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Darth_Sharrak, if you made your way here, you probably already passed through the Coruscant Entertainment Centre. That's where most fics are posted, with the exception of contest fics for the monthly Javyar's Cantina contests (which also get moved to the CEC when the contest ends). Now that you know where it is, I hope to see you posting there!;D

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Hello all. I'm trying to determine what people like to read. So, what do you prefer? 1st person perspective, or 3rd person perspective?
As those who have read my fics will note, I use both. Part of the reason I use what can best be described as shifting first person is to avoid the idea that the character must 'discover' things. This way the reader knows; sometimes ahead of the characters, what is happening. Besides, the idea that someone else is viewing the same scene gives you a stereoscopic effect.

But there are pitfalls in the first person style. I got reamed rather badly at another site for having too many sentences start with 'I'.

Third person jumps from character to character, but shifting first person does the same, with more emotional content.

Second person I avoid with a passion.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #24
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Whichever fits your style better. It'd more sensible to work on that that rather than to worry about details. Also, you should write for you; this doesn't mean not to accept criticism, but it does mean that questions like the one you've posted here shouldn't arise - write in whichever you feel like writing in.

Getting into the mechanics of it, though, if you're going for first person, you need to ensure that that main character has a really distinctive voice - they should only sound like a third person narration would if there's a good reason for it. Pastrami mentioned Fear and Loathing, and that's a good example of what I mean.

It's also generally wise to avoid homage and reference, lest they become cliché and repetition; and unless you are supremely confident of your skills, avoid sex scenes and romance like the plague, because a bad romance/sex scene will gut your work faster than a hot fish-knife wielded by a nutcase from Wisconsin.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #25
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
That having been said, I write romance anyway (and fill the world with horrifying fluffy fanfiction). If it makes you happy, write it

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > The Resource Centre > What makes a good fan-fiction?

Tags
fanfic, perspective