lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: darth vader blocking blaster with hand
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
neal8929
Rookie

darth vader blocking blaster with hand

So when han solo shot darth vader in cloud city, did vader block the shot with some mechanical device in his hand? Or was he using the force?

All should know this...it's not the staff that makes you a noob, its how you use it.
neal8929 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
It's debatable, but I always assumed his mechanical hand just took the pain so to speak, but later EU and the Prequels established that Sith and Jedi could use the force to repel blaster fire without the use of a Lightsaber

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Indeed, as Adamqd said, it's even deceipted and an usable power on Kotor 2:

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Even if it is possible, I believe in Episode V he used his mechanical hand to block the laser instead of the Force.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
neal8929
Rookie

but the blaster bolt was deflected from his hand, not just absorbed. so either he had some kind of blaster reflective material in his hand, or he used the force.

All should know this...it's not the staff that makes you a noob, its how you use it.
neal8929 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Zwier Zak

He used the force.
Zwier Zak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
There are multiple theories. Most have been mentioned here. His artificial hand being made out of Mandalorian Iron etc, or him using the Force.

Just bare in mind that, in 1980, computer techniques weren't as good as they are now. We'll probably never know.
Same goes for the 'who shot first' debate that was caused by a lack of good computer technology as well (Greedo shot first!!)

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
The_Catto
The Rhythm Schism

Current Game: KotOR
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
(Greedo shot first!!)
Damn straight!!!!

I go with his hand. It didn't reflect and fly somewhere else, did it?
I can't remember and I really can't be bothered in watching the movie just for that....

The_Catto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

also to add to Ztalkers post, in 1980 a lot of what we know of the force, force powers and Vader's suit weren't created or at least explained by GL, so at the time it was probably just "Because it looked cool" but now we have all the guides and books to explain other possibilities

Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
The concept of using the Force to simply block laser fire is such an idiotically cheap-assed copout that I'm not even going to consider it as a possibility, because (among other things) there's too many instances where a Jedi or Sith could have been saved by it to say that Vader was apparently the only person who could do it. And as mentioned above, the idea of such a power is a copout. Besides, if Vader "absorbed" the bolts, then they wouldn't have exploded against his hand like they do when they hit walls, nor would Vader's hands be smoking as he catches the gun and puts it down. The armor on his suit is what protected him.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Here is a good question: If Force users could block Blaster fire with thier hands or "The force" why would they need to use a lightsaber to block blaster fire?

Yes, Yoda was able to block and absorb Force lightning. But Blaster fire is much differant.

IMHO it was likely a combination of Vaders armor AND force powers. It was one of those "neat tricks" that he learned likely when he went on to Exterminate the surviving Jedi after RotS.

Yes there are some EU and video games that would say different. But even some Jedi Masters still blocked blaster fire with sabers and not their hands

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^Lightsabers probably offer more direction when deflecting the bolts...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

yet most of the time when lightsabers are used for deflection they don't care about where the the deflected bolts go. It takes a bit more concentration and skill to direct the deflection

get busy with it!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Kinnison View Post
yet most of the time when lightsabers are used for deflection they don't care about where the the deflected bolts go. It takes a bit more concentration and skill to direct the deflection
Perhaps it takes even more focus to absorb/repel and redirect the blaster fire with bare hands.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
He used the Force. Obi Wan used it too when fighting Jango Fett on Kamino.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Zwier Zak

The dark side holds many secrets... don't forget that the "blocking blaster with your hand" force power was made up BECOUSE Vader did that in the movie.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrdias View Post
When?

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

He did it off camera? I'm pretty sure he doesn't use force to deflect bolts ever, never mind in AOTC

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #19
Zwier Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrdias View Post
Dude it would totaly suck if obi did that.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Obi-Wan only uses the force visibly one time in that entire film. When he throws the rope you see a small blue light....otherwise he deflects using his lightsaber.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
When?
My mistake, I was talking when Jango recovers his gun and shoots, but he misses. That scene is so fast that I've always thought that the bolt had hited Obi Wan, and he sort of absorved the bolt.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've always assumed that he used the Force since I first saw the movie when I was a kid.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, just because "you can" do something without a lightsaber does not mean that its better. I can spread peanutbutter on my toast with my finger rather than a butter knife, but I would much prefer the butterknife than a finger.

Just as your gf would prefer your somethingelse rather than your finger... (hopefully)

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

That is why I think it something that can only be done with a Force/armor combination. There WERE sparks.

get busy with it!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
gallandro

Outside of the continuity, I'm sure it was added because it was visually cool and to establish that Han (while awesome) was in a completely different league than Vader. It was just another way to show how bad Vader was.

Within the context of the story, I think it was probably the force. If it had been armor, the blast would have burned through the outer glove, which I don't think it did. I think it was the force, and likely something that only came from the Chosen One.

Again, though, the real reason it was added is because it was just some cool **** to see.
gallandro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
tturcic
Rookie

Lightsaber is for deflecting. Vader used Force to absorb blaster. Just like many Jedi use force to absorb lightning.
tturcic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
starwind40
Rookie

I think that Vader used the force because he only has one hand that had the Mandalorian Gauntlet. but he deflects the shots with his right hand, then on with his left, then force pulls Han's blaster with his right. So if it is his armour, then I would think he only would use his right hand, the one with the Special Gauntlet, then force pull the gun with his left. So I think from the get-go he is just using the force and toying with Han.

Really just shows how bad ass Vader is and that Han really has zero chance of doing anything.

ps- let me know if I have that mandalorian Gauntlet thing wrong, maybe both his hands had gauntlets. I forget.

Last edited by starwind40; 02-20-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: correction
starwind40 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #28
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Even in the OT (not considering the prequels at all), Vader's right arm is robotic, we know for a fact. If we take the ROTJ visual "skeleton" glow as some kind of guide, apparently both his hands are robotic (even if his right arm is mostly real). But if you watch the scene frame by frame, he blocks it with both hands, and some of the shots hit his glove and disappear in a puff of smoke/sparks, while others bounce off and hit the walls. Maybe some combination of force and physical blocking?

I don't know about this "Mandalorian gauntlet" thing of course, having washed my hands of the EU stuff long ago (other than the PC games). It appears he's just wearing leather gloves over his robot hands.

I sort of assumed for the longest time it was just that Vader's armor protects him. But then when you consider that the suit appears to be mostly leather (not even the kind of full coverage offered by the "useless" Stormtrooper armor; please note that Vader's shoulder armor deflects a lightsaber blow from Luke in ESB!), I guess you might say it was some kind of Force ability he used (going just by the movies here, since the EU will tell you whatever).

Maybe it's some kind of "energy dampening cloth"? Sci Fi tech does have that sort of thing too... and maybe it's just really expensive, explaining why everyone doesn't cover themselves with it.

I think stylistically it was just meant to show that Vader was more dangerous than the average bad guy, and show why the good guys couldn't just gun him down.

I suppose having it be a "force powered block" would further emphasize that Solo is in over his head (remember, this is the guy who poo-pooed the Jedi and the Force in the previous movie), where his simple, naturalistic, technology-based methods of fighting aren't adequate for this situation. He's dealing with the Dark Lord of the Sith, now.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I agree. I've pretty much learned to ignore the EU retcons that conveniently explain everything away, usually in the stupidest fashion imaginable, and are therefore essentially BS, IMO.

I came to the conclusion that he was using the Force a long time ago for the very reason that you just stated. In the first film, we see how Han gets out of a compromising position by shooting first, but this is Han's first encounter with an enemy Force-user in the films and he and the audience get a demonstration of just how useless his methods really are against one when he tries the same thing against Vader.

This is just one example of how the idiotic revisionism on the part of Lucasfilm and the EU is compromising and even destroying the integrity of the OT.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #30
Goldblum
Rookie

He used the Force. Vader spent years dominating remnants, dodging blaster fire. At some point, he had to have figured out a method of Force Deflection.
Goldblum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
darthwarren
Banned

its called negate energy its a force power that can do what vader did
darthwarren is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
Te Je'karta Mand'alor
Banned

Current Game: KotOR 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_BFA View Post
Damn straight!!!!

I go with his hand. It didn't reflect and fly somewhere else, did it?
I can't remember and I really can't be bothered in watching the movie just for that....
i don't remenber that happening either...? i think it was a mechanichle device. i mean, if he used the force it would have hit somewhere else.
plus, negate energy wasn't even thought up untill after the movie was made
Te Je'karta Mand'alor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
MrsBinks
Lurker

Let's Look again, shall we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXi5LKHIz8
MrsBinks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
stormcrash
Lurker

Current Game: jk2, wow
he's an old man i dont think he could have physically blocked the blaster fire without using the force in someway.
stormcrash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #35
HockeyGoalie35
The New Leader

Current Game: DJ Starscream
Veteran Modder Folder extraordinaire Helpful! 
well isnt that his mechanical hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoalie35 View Post
I wish I had some Combustable Lemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =purifier View Post
Granted, but you accidently get blown up with that lemony smell and the
Pine-Sol woman appears out of nowhere and says: "That's the power of Pine-Sol, baby. "
HockeyGoalie35 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
Justus

I always thought he was using the force, but who knows until Lucas says one way or the other. And even then, that would open up a whole can of worms and people still wouldn't agree. At any rate, it's one of my favorite moments in the OT.

Then again Vader's suit was heavily armored, he was able to take that hit on the shoulder from Luke's lightsaber, so maybe his armor was able to deflect blaster shots.

Justus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > darth vader blocking blaster with hand