lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Possible Solutions
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #41
tk102
Well past expiration date
 
tk102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,766
Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
maybe it would be a good idea if the other aggrieved members explain their grievances.
I have not received any stipendiary incomes yet.


tk102 is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #42
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,765
Current Game: KotOR II
Point of information: you can set up separate chats on Skype with the same/similar sets of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
I have not received any stipendiary incomes yet.
Unfortunately, the Ahtonian economy has collapsed, due to its reliance on the Altairian Dollar. We are researching alternative currencies, but since the Flailian Pobble Bead can only be exchanged for other Flailian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu doesn't really cound as money. The exchange rate of 8 ningis to one Pu is fairly simple, but since a ningi is approximately 7000 miles on each side, we've no chance of collecting a single Pu - and the banks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. I'm afraid our options don't look good.

We have put together a public broadcast to inform everyone on the issue... and exhort them not to panic.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?

Last edited by Darth InSidious; 02-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #43
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102 View Post
I have not received any stipendiary incomes yet.
Neither have I, for that matter...

Only one person has come out to discuss the problems, yet there are bound to be more people with problems - I think that while it's all up for discussion at the moment, now would be as good a time as any.






Astor is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #44
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,978
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
I'm rather new in these seas, and I had no idea members of Lucasforums.com used Skype. I was only recently asked to check it out, and it was no suprise that certain members communicated in such a way. Its is a list similar to the thread of the Who's Who of Lucasforums.com. Skype exists outside of Lucasforums' rules and regulations; thus, it gives moderators and admins a place to talk about forum issues without restraint. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Skype's contact list did mirror closely with the Imperial Proclamations, but I don't know if it happend by accident or on purpose.
You know very well that no admin/supermod/moderator talked about any LF rules and regulations in there.

Quote:
One controversial aspect of Skype will come from it being an open forum, so non staff members and staff members can discuss how to punish a fellow forumite. Without breaking any of Lucasforums' rules. Its similar to an end run around the bigger bosses. I'm hopping my assumptioins are flawed; however, there is the possibility and opportunity for it to happen.
You know very well that the punishment of members was never discussed in there.

Quote:
Kavar's, Kavar's, Kavar's - What to do. What to do? I'm glad that others are finally seeing what I've been saying. Kavar's is a problem. Do we close the forum down? There is a relationship between its existance and the negetivity in all LF forums; however, it doesn't mean that one is causing the other. There are so many variables on the table, and maybe its a combination of a clique, Kavar's existance, and how forumites feel about TOR. We haven't had any good Star Wars news for a few years, and I think turning Knights into a MMO may have helped trigger some anger. Combine all of these problems, and you have a hot pot boiling over.
What?.......

Quote:
Lucasforums.com was built by SW game fans for SW game fans. There is a pretty good sized group of staffers and forumites clinging together, but I think this place was developed to be that way. I went back in time through the web archives, and I noticed Lucasforums originaly didn't have a large audience. Maybe its time to shift some rules and habits, so a larger audience can become more involved in a respectable manner. Its a complex issue.
Unfortunately since you were never actually there, you don't actually know the specifics of what went on in LucasForums or how things were before its existence.

LF did actually start off with a pretty huge user base because it was born out of a combination of forums that merged together. That number of people grew and grew till LF came into its prime where we were the busiest we'd ever been... in recent years however it's died down. People are less and less interested about LucasArts games and LA isn't helping much either by releasing so few good ones to talk about. Our rules have been set up for an extremely large audience from the start and this place has already seen its golden age... what I really hope for is a second golden age for this place.

Quote:
The clique should involve everyone here; however, that is not the current state of the forums. Lucasforums needs to evolve with the audience.
Unfortunately it's not possible to have 130 288 members in a skype chat. Also, I don't think the folks from mojo or sam and max really want to be involved with any of us or want anything to do with you.

Lynk Former is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #45
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita
 
EnderWiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,395
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
I'm rather new in these seas, and I had no idea members of Lucasforums.com used Skype. I was only recently asked to check it out, and it was no suprise that certain members communicated in such a way. Its is a list similar to the thread of the Who's Who of Lucasforums.com.
There are some similarities, but of course, some differences as well. AFAIK, DI doesn't even have Skype installed presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El
Skype exists outside of Lucasforums' rules and regulations; thus, it gives moderators and admins a place to talk about forum issues without restraint. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Skype's contact list did mirror closely with the Imperial Proclamations, but I don't know if it happend by accident or on purpose.
Skype's Contact List? That doesn't even make sense with how the program works. There are many who use Skype (I'm one of them) but as you can see, I keep my name on my profile so any member can contact me. I've spoken to many non-clique (as you seem to refer to it) members on skype as well.

Also, staff don't discuss moderation when on Skype. Now, I've PrivateSkyped Jae before and asked her why I got an infraction, but of course, that's the same as a PM anyway.

They don't just go around telling everyone about what they do in the forums, but if they do, it's if someone asks why they locked a thread - they might respond with "It was spammy", etc. And, since the mods usually post a reason on the forums anyway, it's not private information.

Maybe the staff have done unethical things. (I doubt it.) But they've never done anything reprehensible in the public skype chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El
One controversial aspect of Skype will come from it being an open forum, so non staff members and staff members can discuss how to punish a fellow forumite. Without breaking any of Lucasforums' rules. Its similar to an end run around the bigger bosses. I'm hopping my assumptioins are flawed; however, there is the possibility and opportunity for it to happen.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't lambaste anyone without knowing the facts first. Non-staff have never been involved in the punishment of a fellow member, at least not in public over skype.

For the staff to use it as a Staff Chat is both understandable and intelligent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El
Kavar's, Kavar's, Kavar's - What to do. What to do? I'm glad that others are finally seeing what I've been saying. Kavar's is a problem. Do we close the forum down? There is a relationship between its existance and the negetivity in all LF forums; however, it doesn't mean that one is causing the other. There are so many variables on the table, and maybe its a combination of a clique, Kavar's existance, and how forumites feel about TOR. We haven't had any good Star Wars news for a few years, and I think turning Knights into a MMO may have helped trigger some anger. Combine all of these problems, and you have a hot pot boiling over.
You don't have to go to any forums you don't like

_EW_



Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #46
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,765
Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
AFAIK, DI doesn't even have Skype installed presently.
True. I like to get things done occasionally.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #47
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Okay first of all I don't think Kavar's should be closed, however there is a major problem at Lucas Forums.


I have found that there is blatent partisanship and a double standard on these forums, I have documented it and kept a record of some of the conversations back and forth via e-mail.

First of all, one of the mods even admitted that most of the modded posts on Kavar's was from people flaming, flamebaiting, with me specifically being the target of those flamebaits and flames. Seriously, if I don't still have it on my PM inventory I have saved copies in my e-mail. Did those people get punished, generally no unless it was a slap on the wrist, on the flipside I've taken a lot of sanctions for finally retailiating because I had had enough.

Quite frankly, with respect to Darth333's comments I couldn't disagree with him more about the modship at Kavar's or most of Lucasforums. If you aren't in a particular clique you can typically expect to be treated like garbage, and I would liken my treatment here to cyber-bullying and harassment. I'm not blaming Darth333, because I know he is honest and he's had to step in a few times over this.

Yes I know I can be irritating, yes I know I have a strong personality, and if I feel really strongly about something I'll stay on it like a bulldog on a bone. But that does not give people the right to flamebait me, outright flame me, threaten me (which one of the staff here has done), etc.

I'm not out to point fingers, but there is a problem and some of the worst offenders are the ones denying that it exists.

I have seen a lot of the posts where I've been flamed and then it is swept under the rug and people act like they have no clue why I'm angry, well I usually have seen the flamebaits before the mods had done anything, and quite frankly I've lost confidence in several members of the staff here, that reporting those individuals would do anything.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
people treat you like crap because of your bat**** insane political views, your stubbornness, and because you call other people liars and put words in their mouths, not because you don't know the right people



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #49
GarfieldJL
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
people treat you like crap because of your bat**** insane political views, your stubbornness, and because you call other people liars and put words in their mouths, not because you don't know the right people
You mean you and a few others tried to put words in my mouth. I have generally refrained from calling members of the board liars, I have accused sources that have been provided of not being truthful, I've backed that fact up and then I've called people out when they've continued to use the said source concerning the same topic that it had been caught at being dishonest about, there is a difference.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #50
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
*argues semantics instead of trying to rectify his own faults and goes into denial*
*is garfieldjl*



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #51
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldJL View Post
Okay first of all I don't think Kavar's should be closed, however there is a major problem at Lucas Forums.
You say LF, but you mean Kavar's, don't include the entirety of LF in one sub-forum's "troubles".

Quote:
First of all, one of the mods even admitted that most of the modded posts on Kavar's was from people flaming, flamebaiting, with me specifically being the target of those flamebaits and flames. Seriously, if I don't still have it on my PM inventory I have saved copies in my e-mail. Did those people get punished, generally no unless it was a slap on the wrist, on the flipside I've taken a lot of sanctions for finally retailiating because I had had enough.
Well of course the majority of the moderating is going to revolve around flaming, that's what the moderators are there to control especially on a debate-type forum. While Kavar's is for serious discussion the fact that you backlog a considerable amount of posts/PM's tells me that you're taking things a bit too seriously.

Quote:
Quite frankly, with respect to Darth333's comments I couldn't disagree with him more about the modship at Kavar's or most of Lucasforums. If you aren't in a particular clique you can typically expect to be treated like garbage, and I would liken my treatment here to cyber-bullying and harassment. I'm not blaming Darth333, because I know he is honest and he's had to step in a few times over this.
First of all, unless DTrips underwent some radical surgery I'm not aware of, he is in fact a she. Secondly, I'm sorry you feel as if you're being cyber-bullied, but you do have a choice in forums and Kavar's isn't the optimum choice if you want to be treated like Gandhi. I can't really comment on how Kavar's should be handled because I don't really participate there, but the few threads there I have participated in, I have not felt any sort of injustice. The point is that you're going to be butting heads with opposing opinions when you go to a place like Kavar's if you aren't prepared to deal with that, don't go there. There are worse places than Kavar's on the internet for serious debate, that I can say with a degree of certainty.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may:
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #52
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,292


*sigh*...I looks like that whole thing is going into circles...again! If you can't be civil then it's time to end this discussion.

Some of you people are going to make me cry...

edit: and, Mav, even if I would want to (which is not the case ) I don't have time to undergo any "surgery" anyway...
Darth333 is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Possible Solutions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.