lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasForums Music Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
ZBomber
Octavarium
 
ZBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,916
Forum Veteran 
Thumbs up LucasForums Music Thread

I don't think there is one of these around... well, there is now.

This is for all us music lovers... whether you're a die-hard music follower, a musician, or both (hello world!), this is the thread for you.

For all you musicians out there, post your gear. I'll start with mine, but being a bass player I don't have a ton of fancy pedals like some of you guitarists.

Bass: Epiphone Les Paul (Cheap, and kind of a slow neck, but it gets the job done... don't plan on updating anytime soon because of finances) I've had it for a year and a half now. I probably won't get another bass until I save up enough money to buy a Rickenbacker.


Amp: Acoustic B200. This thing is badass. Has one of the nicest tones I've heard in a bass amp thats not over 700 dollars. Pretty loud too on top of that, and sounds good at any volume level.


I play mostly progressive rock and classic rock. We were doing Rush covers for awhile, but my guitarist and I decided we wanted to start working on our own material. We just "kicked out" our old drummer and we're jamming with a new one Sunday... hopefully it'll work out for us.

And for the non-musicians, as a start off topic.... what are your favorite bands?
My top five:
Queen, Rush, Dream Theater, Yes, Fleetwood Mac


Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
BongoBob
Good Eye, Sniper
 
BongoBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Camper Velourium
Posts: 6,391
Current Game: BC2, FFXIII
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I was actually thinking about making a thread like this lately

I'm a drummer, and unfortunately don't currently have a drum set. I bought my cousin's old digital drum set for cheap, can't remember the brand of the hardware, but it was an Alesis DM5 module and was really nice. However, I bought it for cheap under one condition: that if he needed to record anything he could use them. About a year or a year and a half after I bought em from him, he called me up and said that he needed em back for a few weeks. I didn't mind because I hadn't been doing too much drumming then, and told him to come on by. Weeks turned into months, and months turned into years.

I finally asked where they were at, and he said they were somewhere in storage. Which could be a possibility, but it's also possible in that time he pawned em.

So now I get my drumming out of my system in the form of drumming in Rock Band. Yes, I know, it's not real drumming, but it's damn close. Plus, where else would I be able to even dream of playing YYZ or Panic Attack on drums?

As for my favorite bands, that's a tough one as my musical listenings change from week to week, but I've narrowed it down to these few:

- Coheed And Cambria
- Streetlight Manifesto
- The Mars Volta
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Rush

Those are what I'll assume are my most played bands in foobar2k.


BongoBob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
DarthDie
Junior Member
 
DarthDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 407
My favorite bands are:
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery
Protest The Hero
Opeth
Ayreon
EDIT: And I listen to Pink Floyd often

As you can see I mostly like Progressive Metal (so same genre as Dream Theater). Though I do listen to classic rock sometimes.

@ZBomber, do you have any of your music to download/buy/listen to somewhere?


OJP Sponsors and websites

"...and what about all those screenshots in there of DarthDie with a swastika of demo charges."

Last edited by DarthDie; 06-29-2009 at 03:50 PM.
DarthDie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,427
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I am not a musician but I like awesome music. Some of my favorites are David Bowie, Chris Cornell, Elton John, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, and Pink Floyd. Can't narrow it down to a top 5 from those 6 though. You can see I mostly like classic rock though. Cornell is one of the few "current" musicians I listen to a lot. His voice is sex. <3

Only concerts I've been to are Weird Al twice. I missed Cornell twice this year so next year I am determined to see him no matter what. Also, I missed the Elton John & Billy Joel concert because of my summer move to San Diego, they came to my hometown in May so I was pretty bummed about missing that. Even when my favorites do tour which is rare because they're so old, it's not often they come to Michigan.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons
 
Boba Rhett's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Man-Room in Missouri
Posts: 13,805
Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I play guitar on and off again and own a Fat Strat and a Montera.

Chris Cornell is also probably my favorite vocalist. Aside from him I also enjoy STP and Smashing Pumpkins.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBomber View Post
bass
Woo. I play a J bass with a black and white finish with some friends of mine. We mostly play rock and blues stuff.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
ZBomber
Octavarium
 
ZBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,916
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBob View Post
I was actually thinking about making a thread like this lately

I'm a drummer, and unfortunately don't currently have a drum set. I bought my cousin's old digital drum set for cheap, can't remember the brand of the hardware, but it was an Alesis DM5 module and was really nice. However, I bought it for cheap under one condition: that if he needed to record anything he could use them. About a year or a year and a half after I bought em from him, he called me up and said that he needed em back for a few weeks. I didn't mind because I hadn't been doing too much drumming then, and told him to come on by. Weeks turned into months, and months turned into years.

I finally asked where they were at, and he said they were somewhere in storage. Which could be a possibility, but it's also possible in that time he pawned em.

So now I get my drumming out of my system in the form of drumming in Rock Band. Yes, I know, it's not real drumming, but it's damn close. Plus, where else would I be able to even dream of playing YYZ or Panic Attack on drums?

As for my favorite bands, that's a tough one as my musical listenings change from week to week, but I've narrowed it down to these few:

- Coheed And Cambria
- Streetlight Manifesto
- The Mars Volta
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Rush

Those are what I'll assume are my most played bands in foobar2k.
I have a friend who's in the same situation (my guitarist actually). He plays Rock Back drums, and because of that he's gotten REALLY good (even passing our old drummer in skills). He doesn't have a real drumkit, only the MIDI rockband one. So, even though it's not really "drums", it does help a ton. Also theres this program on the computer where it allows you to download and play a ton of songs... there were a lot of artists, but my friend had most of the Dream Theater and Rush catalog on there... and because of those he can do most of the songs (even some of the more difficult songs from the Train of Thought album)

I gotta admit I'm not a huge fan of rock band, but the drums on that game ARE cool because it's actually somewhat realistic (unlike hitting buttons for the guitar), and when I play it with him I do vocals. And anything that gets people out there drumming to Rush and Dream Theater is good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDie View Post
As you can see I mostly like Progressive Metal (so same genre as Dream Theater). Though I do listen to classic rock sometimes.

@ZBomber, do you have any of your music to download/buy/listen to somewhere?
I've been trying to get into Progressive Metal more because of DT. From what I heard by Symphony X and Opeth, I like it a lot. But up until a few months ago, I've stuck with 60s/70s classic/prog rock.

We don't have recordings yet, but we started writing some new music a few days ago. Once we meet up with that new drummer, I'm hoping those ideas will take flight and become real songs. Right now we have a lot of riffs, but it's hard to piece them together into a concrete song, especially ones with extremely different time signatures.

So, hopefully in the weeks to come we'll have an actual song... right now I have a few recordings of just some ideas/riffs/jams we've had, but its not really a "song" with structure or anything. But once we record a song, I'll post it up here.

Also, at this point I've written the lyrics to over 375 songs in the past 2 and a half years. Its a lot of material, but its hard to put the words with the music since none of us can come up with good vocal melodies, and we don't know any singers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I am not a musician but I like awesome music. Some of my favorites are David Bowie, Chris Cornell, Elton John, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, and Pink Floyd. Can't narrow it down to a top 5 from those 6 though. You can see I mostly like classic rock though. Cornell is one of the few "current" musicians I listen to a lot. His voice is sex. <3

Only concerts I've been to are Weird Al twice. I missed Cornell twice this year so next year I am determined to see him no matter what. Also, I missed the Elton John & Billy Joel concert because of my summer move to San Diego, they came to my hometown in May so I was pretty bummed about missing that. Even when my favorites do tour which is rare because they're so old, it's not often they come to Michigan.
I am a HUGE Elton John fan. His songs have really been life changing for me. Bernie Taupin is one of the three writers who influenced me to start writing songs (the other two being Stevie Nicks and Neil Peart). But Elton John's songs are so beautiful. He put out a lot of bad records in the 80s, but theres a few gems there. Check out an album called "The Fox". It is almost ALWAYS overlooked, but the title track on that album is one of my favorite Elton John songs. I also like Billy Joel too (the only album I don't listen to from his is River of Dreams). I'm going to see both of them in Boston in July, and I've seen Billy Joel live twice and Elton live once.

Also this morning I got tickets to see Paul McCartney at Fenway Park! \o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
I play guitar on and off again and own a Fat Strat and a Montera.

Chris Cornell is also probably my favorite vocalist. Aside from him I also enjoy STP and Smashing Pumpkins.
To be honest, I have no idea who he is. I'll have to check him out though, as both you and Jeff mentioned him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
Woo. I play a J bass with a black and white finish with some friends of mine. We mostly play rock and blues stuff.
I love Jazz Basses! The necks are so easy to play... I regret buying the LP instead of the Jazz bass. I used to have an old beat up P-Bass I bought used from a kid at my school, but I sold it to some guitar noob who buys instruments/amps just to have even though he sucks.

Cool that this thread is already getting quite a few posts. Any of you have last.fm accounts?
Heres mine... I scrobble everything because I'm kinda OCD about it. Even songs I hear when I'm out, I'll put in a playlist and play it when I'm sleeping so it'll be scrobbled onto my account.
http://www.last.fm/user/ZBomber


Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,427
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBomber View Post
I am a HUGE Elton John fan. His songs have really been life changing for me. Bernie Taupin is one of the three writers who influenced me to start writing songs (the other two being Stevie Nicks and Neil Peart). But Elton John's songs are so beautiful. He put out a lot of bad records in the 80s, but theres a few gems there. Check out an album called "The Fox". It is almost ALWAYS overlooked, but the title track on that album is one of my favorite Elton John songs. I also like Billy Joel too (the only album I don't listen to from his is River of Dreams). I'm going to see both of them in Boston in July, and I've seen Billy Joel live twice and Elton live once.

Also this morning I got tickets to see Paul McCartney at Fenway Park! \o/
I have not heard any songs on The Fox (unless any are on one of the compilation albums I have and don't realize it) so I will definitely check it out. I am jealous about your concerts, I like Paul McCartney a lot too.

Quote:
To be honest, I have no idea who he is. I'll have to check him out though, as both you and Jeff mentioned him.
Used to be the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave if that helps. Also did the theme for Casino Royale which is my favorite song.

Quote:
Cool that this thread is already getting quite a few posts. Any of you have last.fm accounts?
Heres mine... I scrobble everything because I'm kinda OCD about it. Even songs I hear when I'm out, I'll put in a playlist and play it when I'm sleeping so it'll be scrobbled onto my account.
http://www.last.fm/user/ZBomber
I am http://www.last.fm/user/SlaaneshPrince, I may or may not be friends with you already. Anyone else feel free to add me as well if we aren't already friends.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
ZBomber
Octavarium
 
ZBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,916
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have not heard any songs on The Fox (unless any are on one of the compilation albums I have and don't realize it) so I will definitely check it out. I am jealous about your concerts, I like Paul McCartney a lot too.

Used to be the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave if that helps. Also did the theme for Casino Royale which is my favorite song.

I am http://www.last.fm/user/SlaaneshPrince, I may or may not be friends with you already. Anyone else feel free to add me as well if we aren't already friends.
I've never seen any songs from that album on compilation albums, so probably not. Check out the songs "The Fox" "Carla Etude/Fanfare/Chloe" and "Breaking Down Barriers". Those are my favorite tracks from that album. Also other songs you might wanna check out from his earlier career (if you haven't already heard them, not sure what albums/songs you already know) are Burning Down The Mission, Dan Dare, and Sixty Years On. Elton had a ton of radio hits, but that only begins to scratch the surface of his whole catalog... lots of great stuff there!

And NOW I know who he is. Didn't he just put out a solo album or something? I remember reading an interview about him and he kinda just **** all over Tom Morello from RATM. But I haven't actually heard his singing before, so I might have to check out his album.

And just added you on last.fm!


Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
DarthDie
Junior Member
 
DarthDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 407
Mine is http://www.last.fm/user/DarthDie. Only recently started using it, and the plugin I'm using for foobar2000 doesn't always update my page correctly. So I have actually listened more then it says (like right now I'm listening to shadow gallery but it doesn't show)


OJP Sponsors and websites

"...and what about all those screenshots in there of DarthDie with a swastika of demo charges."
DarthDie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)
 
Da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 1,173
Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBob View Post
I was actually thinking about making a thread like this lately
Me too. I was looking to see if there was a thread like this before, but i was to lazy.

I am a guitarist. Whoop-de-doo. I have An ibanez guitar thatcame with the JumpStart package, which also included a crappy little amp. The guitar is pretty high quality, considering I good the whole JumpStart pack about $500. Amp sucks, but it does it's job in amplifying the guitar. I do have a Behringer Super Metal distorsion pedal that I've had for a while, which is a half-decent pedal, for all of $40. And i recently bought a Wah-wah pedal for $50, which is awesome. When I get back home and install a killswitch on my guitar, I'll post a picture of my setup.

Oh, and my Last.fm profile is http://www.last.fm/user/Manniacal


Last edited by Da_man; 06-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
MrWally
Gunslinger
 
MrWally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The City of Lights
Posts: 2,365
Forum Veteran 
Oh my goodness. It's almost impossible for me to narrow down my favorite musicians to just five . . .

My Favorite Singer/Guitarist is Jeff Buckley, hands down. If you haven't heard this man, go find a collection. It's awe-inquiringly beautiful.

Other favorite singers are Jason Mraz (got to see him in Concert last March. Amazing experience) and Mika, probably because he takes after the greatest rock singer of all time, Freddie Mercury.

Speaking of Freddie, Queen used to be my favorite band, and is still way up there, I just haven't been listening to them much.

I'm a huuuge fan of crossover classical. Apocalyptica is incredible. They really found the perfect mixture of elegance and intensity when it comes to their music.

While talking about instrumental music, I'd highly recommend Explosions in the Sky. Beautiful music. They literally have a song that just fits any mood I'm in. If you really want an amazing emotional experience, just go to Youtube and search for "The Only Moment We Were Alone", "Your Hand In Mine" or "Memorial." Fantastic.

I've also been listening to more and more indie music recently. It's just so laid back and chill . . . exactly what I've been looking for. My favorites include Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists, and The Fray (are they considered Indie still?).

Other noteworthy bands I thoroughly enjoy: Sigur Ros, Streetlight Manifesto, The Fratellis, Fort Minor, Jethro Tull, Coldplay, Cobra Starship (sorry . . .), The Killers, and, as many people have already mentioned, Dream Theater


As for my own music, I played Piano for 9 years and sung for 9 or 10. Unfortunately I've been a little behind on both of those recently what with school and other interests.


Of course, the album I've been listening to the most recently is the soundtrack to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,427
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBomber View Post
I've never seen any songs from that album on compilation albums, so probably not. Check out the songs "The Fox" "Carla Etude/Fanfare/Chloe" and "Breaking Down Barriers". Those are my favorite tracks from that album. Also other songs you might wanna check out from his earlier career (if you haven't already heard them, not sure what albums/songs you already know) are Burning Down The Mission, Dan Dare, and Sixty Years On. Elton had a ton of radio hits, but that only begins to scratch the surface of his whole catalog... lots of great stuff there!

And NOW I know who he is. Didn't he just put out a solo album or something? I remember reading an interview about him and he kinda just **** all over Tom Morello from RATM. But I haven't actually heard his singing before, so I might have to check out his album.

And just added you on last.fm!
I have heard Burning Down The Mission and the other early ones you mentioned (don't own them though), but have not heard those from The Fox. I'll definitely check them out. The Elton albums I have are Blue Moves, Captain and the Kid, Captain Fantastic, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (best), and Greatest Hits 1970-2002.

And yeah, Cornell has a recently released album called Scream which to me is meh but has grown on me just because I like his voice so much. I like his previous solo album Carry On much better, the new one is more pop/dance while Carry On is definitely rock.

edit: Zed you are my first "super" compatible friend on last.fm. ^_^


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,971
I'm not musical but I do have ears to hear, and I do hear a lot.

Artists that I really like at the moment are Massive Attack, Nine Inch Nails, and Daft Punk (especially the Alive tour mixes). NIN has so many great original songs and remixes it's very hard to get tired of them, particularly the versions from the Still album (like this). Massive Attack's later albums, particularly 100th Window and Mezzanine (I absolutely love Angel and Black Milk) are wonderful. The Danny the Dog soundtrack by them is also worth a listen (my favorite from that is Montage).

I've also been going to a lot of local bands' concerts lately, so I've been listening to those a lot: Glasnost and The Watermarks in particular. Culture Prophet isn't local, but definitely enjoyable as well. I also listen to some Black Lab, Collective Soul, Live, Ratatat, Coldplay, RAtM, and U2. Live's White, Discussion is so good...

I'm also on last.fm, username (of course) SamuelDravis.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
I could go ahead and list every band on my iTunes...but that'd take WAY too much time and I really don't have any sort of inclination to do so.

Point being, I don't like to play favorites. I suppose if I did I'd have to say (in no particular order):
Journey - Steve Perry, not them other *******s.
Boston - What can I say? Its awesome.
KoRn - One of the first bands I seen live.
The Offspring - The first CD I ever bought was Americana.
Metallica - Pre-St. Anger. That one and Death Magnetic can burn in Hell.
Disturbed - Been rockin it for awhile.
Rise Against - How come nobody told me these guys are awesome?
All That Remains - Two Weeks: Bloody awesome.
As I Lay Dying - Bloody awesome.
Slipknot - Y'know, I used to hate this band with a fiery passion. Now I can't get enough of 'em. Thats what I get for never giving 'em a chance.
Smashing Pumpkins - Had a friend who hated them. Got him to change his mind.
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today
 
Black Knight of Keno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,908
Roleplayer 
I used to play guitar rather actively a few years back. I have a black and white Stratocaster clone and a Marshall amp for it. Currently I've borrowed both of them to my dad, who has them stored somewhere for his own amusement. Honestly, I've forgotten half of the music I used to know how to play on that thing already >.<

Anyways, here's the top 10, in no particular order:

Beethoven - The classical music is a must for any music enthusiast
Iron Maiden
Metallica
ACDC
Cream
Johnny Cash
Rammstein
The Offsprings
Bob Marley
Rage Against the Machine

Close to being to the list but just dropping off are Slayer and White Stripes. Don't listen to them as much anymore. Might be because they're towards the end of my playlist and my playlist is something like 30 hours long >.>


http://www.last.fm/user/Goshman/charts
There's my last.fm profile. Everyone still remembers the LucasForums own last-fm group, right?


"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 AM   #17
TiE23
Get bent!
 
TiE23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Posts: 6,572
Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Some catchy songs for ya guys.

The Flaming Lips - The W.A.N.D.
Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Sister Nancy - Bam Bam
TV on the Radio - Dirtywhirl
Architecture in Helsinki - Do the Whirlwind
Cut Chemist - The Audience is Listening
Cut Chemist - Addictive (Unreleased)


Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #18
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard
 
Commander Obi-Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,363
Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I don't play any instruments. Although, I do want to learn how to play the guitar and/or drums.

I listen to pretty much anything. But, I generally listen to Metal, Rock, Electronic, and Hip-Hop/Rap. It all depends on my mood or what I'm doing.

The only Hip-Hop/Rap I really listen to is Hollywood Undead. And I don't really listen to any specific electronic bands, just whatever is playing. Mostly mixes.

My favourite "rock" bands would have to be AC/DC (Stoked to seem 'em in August), Audioslave/Chris Cornell (Chris Cornell would probably be my favourite vocalist), Rise Against, Sublime, and The Offspring.

I listen to pretty much every type of Metal. All the concerts I've been to, apart from Rise Against and Hollywood Undead, have been metal. I love Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Atreyu, Disturbed, Turisas, Killswitch Engage, Protest The Hero, Five Finger Death Punch, Cancer Bats, Bring Me The Horizon, System of the Down, and to an extent, DragonForce.


Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #19
Tyrion
nothing is real
 
Tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
Posts: 6,917
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE23 View Post
Arcade Fire - No Cars Go
Speaking of Arcade Fire, here's the best live musical performance within an elevator ever recorded.

(Incidentally, also features the best, and to my knowledge the only, instance of magazine playing ever recorded.)



Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #20
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Megadeth and Anthrax. Some Deicide. Cradle of Filth. Ozzy. Video Game music has some of the best composition for modern music, bar none.

Louie Armstrong, AC/DC, Dragonforce.

I couldn't narrow it down--so I must be suffering from the same disease as MrWally: too-much-good-music-idus.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #21
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBomber View Post
I'll start with mine, but being a bass player I don't have a ton of fancy pedals like some of you guitarists.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....sku=150555#new



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)
 
Da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 1,173
Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Finally managed to build that removable killswitch for my guitar. looks almost exactly like this. For something that cost about $15, it sounds really good, even if it is relatively simple. And I'll post pics of that and the rest of my setup tomorrow.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,286
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I'm a guitar/ bass player... though I only noodle around the house these days. I can kinda sing a bit too, and have been thinking of expanding that a bit more in the future.

My instrument collection can be seen here.

I mostly listen to classic prog-rock and jazz fusion these days... though I've been sort of leaning back to my blues/ southern-rock roots lately.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
ZBomber
Octavarium
 
ZBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,916
Forum Veteran 
So that practice I was supposed to have today... the drummer never showed. I'm starting to wonder if it was a hoax. We posted a couple of ads at music stores, so he might of thought he'd pull our tail a little bit. We waited for 3 hours before we just gave up on him coming. Now we're back to square one with no drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142 View Post
I LOVE BOOTSY!

I've seen that pedal around a lot, but I've never played it. Does it sound nice? Bootsy is one of the best funk bassists imo. A lot of his solo career stuff is unintentionally hillarious, but in a good way (Party on Plastic... the early 90s were just a funny time all together ) And his work with Parliament is just the ****, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib View Post
I'm a guitar/ bass player... though I only noodle around the house these days. I can kinda sing a bit too, and have been thinking of expanding that a bit more in the future.

My instrument collection can be seen here.

I mostly listen to classic prog-rock and jazz fusion these days... though I've been sort of leaning back to my blues/ southern-rock roots lately.
I've been getting into jazz fusion a lot lately. My friend is a huge jazz guitarist and has been playing me a lot of stuff... I love Return to Forever, Allan Holdsworth, and John McLaughlin.

Beautiful instruments btw! What model is the white LP? My friend has one very similar to that.


Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #25
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,286
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
That's just a Studio... but it sounds great. I put Gibson 57 Classic PAF pickups in it, and now it is a tone machine.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > LucasForums Music Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.