lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Filefront Network To Shut Down - Please Read!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Forceboat

Filefront Network To Shut Down - Please Read!!

Farewell

Any of you who have uploaded files on your hosted.filefront.com sites, download them and save them while you can, everyone! And download everything you think you will want later on. There's talk about moving everything they can to a new site, http://jksource.com, but I can't guarantee they will be able to get ahold of any authors who are not active in the community anymore. For those who are, I urge you to get in contact with the staff over at Filefront and let them know it is okay to transfer them to JK Source.
Forceboat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Mikouen
Rookie

With all due respect to AmonRa, he's got no experience in many of the fields required to establish and manage a high-standard institution. That site is definitely not going to be able to replace JKFiles, in quality or in spirit.

StrategyInformer should probably be your next port of call. I'm actually in talks with someone about cutting into JKFiles niche in the market, I'll let you know how that goes.
Mikouen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Mikouen
Rookie

Good news!

A deal has been negotiated between FileFront's now-fired network manager Jeff Mills, and another website, to create a network to replace FileFront.

This network has one distinct advantage. It's run by gamers and modders, with no corporate influences. Thus it's likely to be better in every single way.

All the files on several FileFront sites have been fully backed up, JKFiles is one of them. We're now working to salvage the rest of the network's contents, and will deal with getting them rehabilitated as soon as possible.

Keep an eye on my Twitter page for updates on this network as it progresses.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Forceboat

Sounds great, Kouen!! So does that mean that all of the files might be transferred over to this new network?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Mikouen
Rookie

As many as we can get backed up, yes.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Well that was fast!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
jedimike2234
Rookie

Great news!
jedimike2234 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Forceboat

Will files from hosted.filefront.com be included in this move, or will they even be affected, because many people have files uploaded through that? Should people download what they can in case everything doesn't get backed up, or should everything be okay? And what about the forums? Will all the old threads from the old forums be wiped out? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Mikouen
Rookie

Our backups primarily reach only to the network. As for the filefront.com main site, that's out of our reach, sorry. We just don't have any way to recover the files from there with any sort of expendiency, and with only four days we've gotta prioritise.

As for the forums.... we can't do anything about that. Ziff Davis Media have locked out all FileFront employees. Even if the forums haven't yet been deleted, they're inaccessible by everyone, including the people who would have the power to salvage the database.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Forceboat

So, not everything will be in the file backups, correct? Meaning I should still download everything I can before the shutdown, correct? And as for any files I can think of that I have been wanting, I am downloading off of any hosted.filefront.com pages I come across, since those will be gone.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Mikouen
Rookie

Everything on the game-specific network sites will be saved.

Nothing from main filefront.com site will be saved.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Forceboat

Gotcha. That's awesome!! So that means the download links will just point to the new download location on the new network! Outstanding! So all I have to save is just stuff from the hosted.filefront.com pages. Good deal!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
Our backups primarily reach only to the network. As for the filefront.com main site, that's out of our reach, sorry. We just don't have any way to recover the files from there with any sort of expendiency, and with only four days we've gotta prioritise.

As for the forums.... we can't do anything about that. Ziff Davis Media have locked out all FileFront employees. Even if the forums haven't yet been deleted, they're inaccessible by everyone, including the people who would have the power to salvage the database.
That's too bad about the forums. It's a shame to lose some of those editing threads.
Mercenary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
CrisG
Aging Jedi

The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
KOUEN, thank you a zillion Let us know when the new links and new addys are active.
this is great news.

I am saving my own archive and am almost done and will see where to go with it once the dust settles.

There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
----------------------------------------------------
Admin 3D Worlds and Game Developers Group - Linkedin - "We Build Worlds"
DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
CrisG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
Mikouen
Rookie

Well, if anyone here has a webserver capable of running Python scripts, and with sufficient space and bandwidth to transfer and store the contents of a network site, we still need help. We have only three days to get every file off the network.

We've got a coordinated salvage effort (started by Phenix) running in order to preserve the files from the entire network. If you wish to join this effort, grab an IRC client and seek us out on irc.arloria.net.

JKFiles is safe, don't worry. We got all the files. And KotOR, EaW, C&C and Armada 2. We've got people working on UT, Crysis and Bridge Commander, too, and I'm going to back up Grand Theft Auto and Dawn of War's files.

But still, we've only got 65 hours at best to get everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

Awesome effort, Kouen.
much praise towards the salvaging effort.

-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
AmonRa
Lurker

By request of n0e after a conversation I had with him, Phenix made it a priority to get the JKFiles site backed-up. There is two reasons for this, first being the quite obvious desire not to lose all those files, and the second is because JKSource has entered into a partnership with another network for a replacement site for jk3files. I don't wish to discuss anything more though, until its all finalised.

Until then, keep an eye on www.jksource.com for updates.

Last edited by AmonRa; 03-26-2009 at 04:37 AM.
AmonRa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
Rinku
kad'la tracinya be abiik

Current Game: SWBF, Pokemon SS
Kouen, this news is great. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I am very appreciative of this since I play many games that I use filefront for and I obviously can't save each specific filefront site. Mac-Pc gamers is working on SWBF; and I think Gametoast is doing the same. So I think you might not have to worry about the SWBF filefront site (contacting them to see what they are doing might be the best though).

Rinku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
Mikouen
Rookie

As far as I'm aware, all games which are either still heavily active and/or have upcoming titles will be supported by the new network.

So basically every FileFront site that wasn't closed/archived (only two I'm aware of that suffered such a fate are Breed and Rise Of Nations) at the time of the network's termination will be transferred to the new network.

Current sites whose files are completely backed up:
ArmadaFiles
CnC Files
EAW Files
EFFiles
JKFiles
Legacy Files
BCFiles
SFC3Files
UTFiles
Supreme Commander
StalkerFiles

Sites whose files are currently in the process being backed up (and the people to whom we owe thanks for their help):
UTFiles (Lulolwen)
Crysis Files (Twinmeister)
BC Files (Ricksal0224)
CnCFiles (EA)
LOTRFiles (EA)
Battlefield Files (EA)
GTA (nlomioni)
Soldier of Fortune (nlomioni)
company of heroes (nlomioni)
The Elder Scrolls (nlomioni)

Sites currently on the priority list:
Battlefront
Dawn of War
HL2

As said though, that list is just to organise things and make sure everyone retrieves a portion of the network, rather than wasting time downloading two copies of the same thing.

We really do want to get everything safe, secure, and settled into a new home with as little disruption to the communities as we can get away with, although thanks to Ziff Davis Media not giving us any advance warning, disruption is inevitable.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Mikouen
Rookie

Good news! We've got full backups of all the network's screenshots and databases as well.

So as soon as the new setup is ready we can get JKFiles back on track at 100%, no fuss.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #21
AmonRa
Lurker

Yep, as Kouen has said, Phenix was able to take a full back-up of JKFiles so that JKSource can take over without any issues, the only problem is that we wont be able to use any reviews or POTD's from FileFront because Ziff Davis owns them technically.

The discussions i've been having with the the network site have concluded, and a partnership has been formed which will see JKSource be the new home for jk3files, however patience is required from the community as we get everything organised, I will be making a formal announcement with further details in a few hours at JKSource..

So keep an eye on the site: www.jksource.com

Last edited by AmonRa; 03-27-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
CrisG
Aging Jedi

Great work guys much much appreciated. You have saved a lot of history and wonderful work.

DF-JK DF2-DFMOTS-JKII-JKIII-KoTOR I-KoTOR II - XW-TF-XvT-BOP -XWA-Rogue Squad - Starfigher-Racer- RC-Battle for Naboo-Episode I Phantom Menace-Shadows of the Empire-BF I - BF II-EAW-EAW:FOC-Loom-Grim F-MI-MII-MIII-DOTT-IJFOA-IJLC-IJET-IJIM-Dig-Sam and Max HTR
Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
LordJhredmo
Rookie

Current Game: Battlefront II
Thank you all very much for your dedicated hard work. May the Force be with you...

R E I G N
Sith Empire
PvE ♦ PvP ♦ RP-lite
LordJhredmo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
jedimike2234
Rookie

Yes,Thank you ,I for one was just surprised when i heard about filefront and its decision,i thought just like when pcgames went down for good.At least the files are saved.Great news and we eagerly await jksource to open!
jedimike2234 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
Mikouen
Rookie

I have just one question for AmonRa.

Did you intend to contact the authors to make sure they're okay with you taking their files for your own site?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

I also want to say a big thank you to everyone who's making this possible. The news of filefront's closure, while sad, didn't mean much to me at first, but for some reason I remembered today that it had a lot of "satellite sites", including JKfiles and Kotorfiles. It's nice to see that we've got some dedicated people to "save the furniture". If I knew anything at all about servers and web science or whatever (which is sadly all gibberish to me), I'd help out. The best I can do now though is say thanks and keep up the good work!

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #27
AmonRa
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikouen View Post
I have just one question for AmonRa.

Did you intend to contact the authors to make sure they're okay with you taking their files for your own site?
All of the files will be hosted at the new site, but we will send out a mass email to the file authors which will state that, and also explain that they can have their file removed no questions asked. We will also have an announcement on the main page of the site for those who have changed their emails.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
CrisG
Aging Jedi

AmonRa thanks again, and i think it is generally pretty safe to think that if ppl had things stored on FileFront for us to enjoy and download they will continue to wish for them to be available so I am for one very very grateful for this salvage effort and all the work it took. Much much appreciated. The star wars universe will weather the challenges of this current economy i am sure and there are signs all across the game segments that new mod and addon work will continue and improve as time goes on.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #29
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
So, the site and forums seem to be up and working again. This is quite odd... April fools?

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #30
exonimus
Rookie

nope, read the announcement on top

"This is NOT an April Fools joke

I assure you all that the forums being online at this time is not a joke or something that is temporary. What information I have is that there will be more information to be expected sometime tomorrow. I myself am not entirely sure what is going on and why the forums are back online. I'll know when you know really. I was just instructed to let you know that this is for real and not a joke by any stretch of the imagination. I know many will not believe me because of the terrible timing, but the persons that I had talked to about this would never joke with me about this sort of thing.

More to come as I find it out."

Jeff

seems like he has no idea what's going on either.

Mysteries of the Sith Mod co-leader
exonimus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #31
AmonRa
Lurker

Guys, no one really knows whats going on at this point, we do know that it WAS NOT an april fools joke, just try and be patient, you will be updated soon.
EDIT:

Latest news!

It appears that some of the original management of FileFront (before Ziff Davis bought it out) have gotten involved, and possibly re-taken over FileFront...

It seems this may not be the end after-all.. more updates to come though.

Last edited by AmonRa; 04-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
Forceboat

LOL. What a mess!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #33
minilogoguy18
Rookie

ok so now theyre back?
*rushes back*
minilogoguy18 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #34
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.ph...69#post2609369

-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
CrisG
Aging Jedi

wow
great news

/me cheers

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Filefront Network To Shut Down - Please Read!!