lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mapper at your disposal.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #41
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Sweet! So now some of the civilians shoot back when you shoot them? Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
I suppose I could make it so you need to find a hidden switch to advance... but wouldn't that be deviating from JK a bit?
Yes, but that's the point of remakes: have fun re-imaging things. Play the first Tomb Raider game for PSX and then play Anniversary for PS2 or XBox 360 and you'll see what I mean.

Though the switch you've set behind the bar could easily serve as the "hostility trigger." After all, it's only the beginning of the game, so perhaps finding that switch shouldn't be made too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #42
Ibanez
Rookie

Que? What do you mean, hostility trigger? You want me to make all the enemies in the bar aggressive once you open that door? I'm confused, elaborate please?

Ibanez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #43
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Just elaborating on the idea I gave you earlier having seen the video:

Quote:
2. Could you make the patrons and activities in the barroom more interactive, as they are in Jedi Outcast]? Perhaps have it so that you need to accomplish some sort of task before the patrons become hostile and you are permitted to advance? (Perhaps 8T88 ordered the place locked down on his way out?)
I'm saying, perhaps that trigger could be the button behind the bar that opens the door. Maybe a small alarm will sound and then it's slug fest?

Quote:
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
Ibanez
Rookie

I guess I'm just confused why that would be. Why would they all become hostile after you've opened the locked door? In my understanding, 8t88 ordered a lockdown, perhaps by threatening the bartender, who closed the door. 8t88's goons (the grans) stayed behind to take care of you, but you kill them and unlock the bar after they're dead. Everyone else in the bar remains indifferent, since this is, after all, Nar Shaddaa, and if it isn't your business, it stays that way. That's just the way I understand it.

Remember, this is the very beginning of the level, it's probably unwise to make the player have to face more than 3 enemies at the same time lest he gets frustrated and quits. There're plenty of baddies down the road.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #45
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I know, I just really liked the interaction in the bar on Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast and just thought that implementing something similar would have been cool. But I suppose your idea makes better sense.

Maybe we can save this idea for the "bar brawl" near Max's house in Baron's Hed later on.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #46
Shamus
Rookie

df2mod isn't on hiatus, it's just crawling slowly across the floor, in a semi-comatose state ATM... :P

@ibanez: Drop by #df2mod on efnet and we'll talk. Same goes for you, exo.

Really, anyone who has interest in the mod is welcome to hang out there, I check that more regularly than the forums. Also, if you show up and have something to say and I'm not responding, go ahead and type your message in the channel as I'll see it eventually.

Also, if you leave your chat window open, the better the chances that you will see the reply. If you're not in the channel, you probably won't see it.

Last edited by Shamus; 04-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Shamus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #47
DarkStarMojo

So, Shamus, I guess you and I will have to duel to see who gets to hire this gent, right? My skills with a lightsaber are a bit rusty but command of The Force is strong as ever!!!!

All joking aside, this is some amazing stuff Ibanez (I love the guitar reference, too). I'm always looking for more mappers for DFMod (so shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll forward you my email).

@Shamus, you have my absolute permission to use this map in place of anything I've made for narshadda (lord knows I've gotten so much better than when I first started that I'd be more than likely to try rebuilding the map if I were to get back to work on DF2Mod, so know we won't have to.).

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Project lead, lead mapper
http://www.darkforces.jediknight.net
http://dfmod.blogspot.com
DarkStarMojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #48
Ibanez
Rookie

Thanks! I just got back from house-sitting for the weekend, so I can get started again on this level. I'm not here to replace anyone's work, I'm here to work alongside you guys to get this damn mod out the door.

And my name is Ibanez because that's my favorite guitar brand and Jimmy page (in my signature) is my favorite guitarist.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #49
exonimus
Rookie

tsk, I'll take on you both, I've been having some good practice lately! =)

Also, @DSM and/or Shamus(if you wont read this, I'll ask it on IRC later on) how many mappers are currently busy with dfmod and df2mod?

Mysteries of the Sith Mod co-leader
exonimus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #50
DarkStarMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
Thanks! I just got back from house-sitting for the weekend, so I can get started again on this level. I'm not here to replace anyone's work, I'm here to work alongside you guys to get this damn mod out the door.

And my name is Ibanez because that's my favorite guitar brand and Jimmy page (in my signature) is my favorite guitarist.
Oh, I got the reference. I'm a musician, myself (not professionally, unfortunately).

As far as replacing anyone's map work, I completely understand. The decision is ultimately Shamus' but had I still been working on DF2Mod I'd probably be rebuilding the first narshadda level from scratch since I've improved alot since I started it and I'm not really satisfied with how some of what I attempted to do turned out. Whatever Shamus decides there are a few things from my level that I'd love to see carried over but, otherwise, I have no problem with the mod using a map as awesome as yours seems to be turning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exonimus View Post
tsk, I'll take on you both, I've been having some good practice lately! =)

Also, @DSM and/or Shamus(if you wont read this, I'll ask it on IRC later on) how many mappers are currently busy with dfmod and df2mod?
DFmod is myself and hhunter6 (whose also working with you on MotS if I'm not mistaken). I can't say about DF2Mod as I'm currently "on hiatus" while I'm in charge of DFMod but when I left there were at least three mappers working on the project (though I was working on most of the early levels).

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #51
Shamus
Rookie

Yeah, well, we've been discussing things on IRC, and you guys are welcome to join there. It really is much better for discussing things than going back and forth on the forums.

BTW, DarkStarMojo: You don't even need an IRC client anymore, just go to efnet.org and near the top left is a webchat link. Just pop in "DarkStarMojo" and "#df2mod" into the text fields and your there! No more excuses.

@exonimus: Right now there's just me working on it, and I'm starting my levels over too. Oh, and Ibanez and Omnisu--kinda. Jump in the channel if you want to talk about it.

On a side note: I locked the forums over at freeforumhost. I'm surprised that they were still being used even after we abandonded them. New forums are in place and we'll announce them once we've prettied them up for all you fine people.

Last edited by Shamus; 04-09-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #52
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Cool, I was just about to ask if any measures were being taken to combat the flood of spam bots and if there were place to create new forums. I wish we could set them up right here on Lucas Forums. It's safe, secure, and free of any (noticeable) bots.

Just be sure to copy the contents of my beloved suggestions thread, though.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #53
Ibanez
Rookie

Shamus, I registered on those new forums and it never sent an e-mail to my email account, and I couldn't find a way to request a new activation email.

Progress update, everyone: I've reached the first diagonal elevator, which puts me at around 50% done.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #54
Shamus
Rookie

@Ibanez: No worries--I've set it up to validate by hand and I've already activated your account. We will not have a problem with spammers this time. Spammers will be deleted with no remorse.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #55
Ibanez
Rookie

Ah, thank you.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #56
exonimus
Rookie

that webchat thing gives a 'too many connections' error, sadly :/

Anyway, I'll be sure to visit you guys whenever I have time. I'm currently doing some research into cutscene scripting, and I have a slight problem. Maybe one of you can give me some tips..

And yes, of course I know hhunter, but I was under the impression the team would be much bigger..

Mysteries of the Sith Mod co-leader
exonimus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #57
DarkStarMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exonimus View Post
that webchat thing gives a 'too many connections' error, sadly :/

Anyway, I'll be sure to visit you guys whenever I have time. I'm currently doing some research into cutscene scripting, and I have a slight problem. Maybe one of you can give me some tips..

And yes, of course I know hhunter, but I was under the impression the team would be much bigger..
There are a few others involved but not much on the mapping front. What we really need, though, are modelers to complete the Dark Troopers and the Kell Dragons.

@Shamus, I'm getting a connection timed out error from efnet.org. I'll try again later but it looks like it will be easier for me to get on, especially now that school's winding down and I'm spending more time at home.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #58
Shamus
Rookie

@DarkStarMojo: Cool. I'm looking forward to it. And if that doesn't work, just download a copy of mirc and follow the help file for connecting to a chat server (in this case, efnet) and a channel (#df2mod, of course ).
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #59
Ibanez
Rookie

Just because I like you guys:

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #60
jedimike2234
Rookie

Ibanez,i just have to say that i am blown away by the progress you have made and just the look of the map,my god you really have taken that level and just improved on it.Fantastic work!
jedimike2234 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #61
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Fuh-Reaking awesome work, Ibanez.
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #62
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Nothing else to add other than that I am in awe once again, to say the least. See, this is what a remake should be like: a re-imagining, and not just a dead-on reconstruction with updated graphics. Seems you've got the right idea. Keep it up!

Quote:
Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #63
DarkStarMojo

You really managed to make this section feel so much more industrial than the original version. I also really like the pit you've added. It adds another dimension to the whole "walking narrow ledges" aspect of the Nar Shadda levels.

@All up-and-coming-mappers reading this thread: you should be taking notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
Nothing else to add other than that I am in awe once again, to say the least. See, this is what a remake should be like: a re-imagining, and not just a dead-on reconstruction with updated graphics. Seems you've got the right idea. Keep it up!

Are you implying something? Should I be taking notes too?

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2
Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #64
Ibanez
Rookie

Yes, well, you'll all be glad to know that my ludicrous attention to detail has its drawbacks. Right now I'm facing a potentially crippling lighting error, regarding to having too much lighting detail. It requires that I split the level into two parts. So, I hope you don't mind that these levels are really short, but insanely detailed.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #65
Omnisu
Rookie

I've been talking with Zell in the df2mod chatroom about possibly splitting levels 1 and 2 into 3 parts, where the second level would bridge the gap.

Compiling with -lomem, while it made the light stage much slower, allowed his current work on Nar1 to actually compile again. Unfortunately the vertex count limit built into q3map2 is already preventing the map from compiling with -patchmeta.

Any of you guys have idea for how to split nar1 at about the 2/3rd mark, and nar2 at the 1/3rd mark? Or how both levels could be split evenly into 4 pieces?
Omnisu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #66
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarMojo View Post
Are you implying something? Should I be taking notes too?
I do believe I said you guys should combine elements of both of your versions of the levels you've recreated. (Translation: Yours is just as awesome as far as I can tell.)

Quote:
Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #67
Ibanez
Rookie

Okay everyone, I've been at Vermont for half of this week (I live in Maine), thus no work was done. And on saturday, I leave for Guatemala for 2 weeks to build houses for Habitat for Humanity. So, you won't be hearing from me for a few weeks. Just a heads up.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #68
On_Your_Six
Rookie

Hey, right on bud. Good luck down there!
On_Your_Six is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #69
-=*Raz0r*=-
Rookie

Dang, I'm very impressed at how good those maps are on the JKA engine.

-=*Raz0r*=- is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #70
Ibanez
Rookie

Alrighty, I'm back home. But I'm exhausted, so don't expect anything spectacular out of me for a few days.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #71
Shamus
Rookie

Glad to hear you made it back in one piece.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #72
Ibanez
Rookie

o hay guys wats goin on in this thread??

Freighter is a placeholder until Omnisu makes that replacement model that is highly detailed that he's SUPPOSED TO BE DOING >: (

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #73
DarkStarMojo

Looks to be coming along quite splendidly.

For the record, I have resumed work on level 4 between work on DFMod. So there IS more progress happening on JKMod and I've sent an email to Shamus about sharing resources between the two mods. I'll post updates to the main DFMod page as soon as I have them.

Dark Forces Mod, Part 2

Last edited by DarkStarMojo; 06-12-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #74
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Hey, what ever happened to that guy who was making a Jason Court skin? Has there been any contact from him?

Quote:
Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #75
Telex Ferra
Rookie

To be honest, I loved DF2 so much that I could never like any re-creation more than the original.

But I must say, this map - though much more detailed and advanced - seems to emulate the mood of the original map.

In other words, GOOD JOB :P
Telex Ferra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #76
Ibanez
Rookie

zomg i ruined it. lightsaber, force powers, REBORN? wtf is this ****!

View page
YouTube Video

oh, they're just cheats i did for fun. phew!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #77
Telex Ferra
Rookie

Lol!

I felt like the face at the beginning of that vid was laughing at you because that door sealed behind you.
Telex Ferra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #78
jedimike2234
Rookie

stunning and fantastic work Ibanez,the video was just amazing!the attention to detail and the lighting and the mood and ambience just screams out nar shadda hear me roar!Ibanez i did have a question a little off topic ,will you be finishing the other map you were doing?the one that was in the bowels i belive?that was looking fantastic as well.eagerly looking forward to your recreation of jk,again great work!
jedimike2234 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #79
Ibanez
Rookie

No, the recreation of JK takes priority. I do have college in a few months, and when that happens progress on both will slow significantly.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #80
Ibanez
Rookie

CHEER UP GUYS I CANT SLEEP SO INSTEAD I MAPPED

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Dark Forces Mod > Mapper at your disposal.