lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Whether or not a Man Named Jesus Existed
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #81
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyp Dooran View Post
Just like we know the Bible is fiction right? So Greek mythology, the Qur'an, every other book out there that can somehow be twisted into a religion is fiction. But when it comes to the Bible, "no, there is a possibility!" I think I said it before, what makes the Bible a special case?

Do we though? The problem w/using something like Potter as a comparison is that we know who the author is and that she doesn't claim anything extraordinary about the books, other than perhaps giving their audience an adventure. The Bible, whatever its faults, doesn't fall into that category. Only pointing out that you were making an apples/oranges comparison. If the Bible were as self-evidently fictional as you claim, Christianity would likely have folded long ago and probably have been replaced by something else. Not to mention Judaism. As I already asked, why are you so worked up over it? Especially since people in modern times (at least in the western countries) seem to be moving farther away from theism anyway.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #82
EnderWiggin
Sine Amore Nihil Est Vita

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
I highly doubt you guys are intelligent enough to change yours, therefore this topic and this forums is useless.
Hmm, this isn't rude at all.

Just because you bit off a little more than you can chew whilst having this debate doesn't mean that anyone is less intelligent or that this is "useless".

I assure you, I have found use for it.

Well, bye bye then. It's too bad you're mad about losing one little logical skirmish (per se) especially considering it was seemingly not over yet.

_EW_

Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black. ~ Prime

Yes, I hate you.

J7 - thanks for accepting me as part of the 'family.'
EnderWiggin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #83
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Eclipse View Post
My beliefs will never change, and I highly doubt you guys are intelligent enough to change yours
I'm struggling to understand the logic here.

Inability to change beliefs is indicative of a lack of intelligence...
But your beliefs will never change...
and your tone suggests that you believe that you are of superior intelligence.

Help me out here
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #84
Rake
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Do we though? The problem w/using something like Potter as a comparison is that we know who the author is and that she doesn't claim anything extraordinary about the books, other than perhaps giving their audience an adventure. The Bible, whatever its faults, doesn't fall into that category. Only pointing out that you were making an apples/oranges comparison. If the Bible were as self-evidently fictional as you claim, Christianity would likely have folded long ago and probably have been replaced by something else. Not to mention Judaism. As I already asked, why are you so worked up over it? Especially since people in modern times (at least in the western countries) seem to be moving farther away from theism anyway.
Alright barring Potter, look at Greek mythology or the mythology of other religions. Mythology is created in order to benefit the maker, and clearly, people benefit from the Bible, just like the creators of some Greek myths. Why pick one myth to be the utmost truth and reject the rest? You ask why I'm so worked about it, I thought this was a debate thread, and so I'm trying to engage in it, and I'm glad that many in western nations are moving towards rationality and critical thought (although there is still a ways to go).
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Ok, it just didn't come across as detachment, hence the "worked up" expression.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Whether or not a Man Named Jesus Existed