Thread: Mechanics
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
jrrtoken

Mechanics

Due to the scarcity of topics about actual role-playing mechanics (or any other sort of real thread about anything TOR-related), I guess this warrants a discussion.

Since BioWare has been particularly mum on the topic of combat, skills, and whatnot, does any here believe that BioWare will use a standard, role-playing system, complete with skills, attributes, feats, and any other RPG elements? Or perhaps, will TOR simply be a skill-less game, more of an action game, than having turn-bases combat, rolls, and other features?

This brings into question the lack of "RPG" in "MMORPG". Since TOR has been primarily listed as an "MMO", sans "-RPG", does this indicate the lack of a role-playing system, and more of an action-adventure influenced game?
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I think it will have similar combat to other MMORPGs, with realtime action-based combat but still have skill trees similar to that in Diablo or WoW and have different feats or whatever that you can use in combat. I think people just say MMO because it's easier, I think TOR will be just as much MMORPG as other games in that genre if not more, because of BioWare's history.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I'd say it's probably going to resemble Mass Effect in mechanics. Perhaps you'll be able to pick and choose skills but level them up like ME did.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I think it'll resemble other MMORPG's, in that there will be classes, attributes, skills, feats, Force powers to obtain, as well as levelling your character. The action will be like Mass Effect (plus lightsaber and melee combat), I bet.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
TheRogueForums
Rookie

I'm thinking it will be a mix- pre-existing mechanics of other MMOs, as well as tier-skills, like in the KOTOR games. You don't simply start off with Force Wave- you have to start off with Force Push, then Force Whirlwind, and finally Force Wave.

Makes since to me. You learn a skill, and then you master it.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Mechanics