Thread: Death
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #41
gianner
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
Or maybe they could revitalize themselves with the force.
That is not an option. Not everyone will be or wants to be a force sensitive...

Power lies within wisdom.
Believe in yourself and you shall be rewarded.
gianner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #42
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianner View Post
That is not an option. Not everyone will be or wants to be a force sensitive...
What if they had a force sensitive in their party?

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #43
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Yeah, while a Force Ghost or Force Revitalize would fit in easily with TOR, it only works for Force sensitives. And I have no idea for something similar for non-Force sensitives. A party member with Force Powers probably will have limits on his resurrection skill, so there must be a "standard" way of dying and reviving.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #44
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Mirdala Mand'alor View Post
What if they had a force sensitive in their party?
What if they didn't? Or maybe they weren't not even in a party? Spamming for a Jedi to join your party and come to rez you would really suck.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #45
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
I'd imagine there'd be a healing-specific class, and you'll get spamming for healers regardless

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #46
Saenjaina
Rookie

Current Game: GTA IV
Having only read a few posts in this thread, my immediate thought would include being incapacitated, and then being dragged to the nearest resurrection facility housing a number of Bacta tanks. Quite conventional and in line with the Star Wars universe I'd think.

I take it that they had this technology also at this time.
Saenjaina is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #47
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
When you die, your character should be deleted from the server... What? BioWare wants all your actions to have an effect...

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #48
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemaster View Post
I'd imagine there'd be a healing-specific class, and you'll get spamming for healers regardless
I was referring to the fact that Te Melanin Man o' War mentioned that revitalisation through the Force could be the only logical way to be revived, which would mean that everyone would be dependent on Jedi to get back to playing. Can you imagine how dull it would be being completely unable to play due to being unable to find a Jedi willing to rez you?

Let's kill ourselves.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #49
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
I was referring to the fact that Te Melanin Man o' War mentioned that revitalization through the Force could be the only logical way to be revived, which would mean that everyone would be dependent on Jedi to get back to playing. Can you imagine how dull it would be being completely unable to play due to being unable to find a Jedi willing to rez you?
Was that supposed to be my name? Anyway, I also offered the suggestion that they could just fall unconscious like in the KotOR games, then after a while their found by some medical droid or something. Or maybe a medical droid could be like a puppet to a certain party member, or come from your ship/base to revive you once it figures out that your vitals are down.
And please, copy and paste my name next time.

Last edited by Trench; 06-04-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #50
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I think getting back to base is a good idea. Simple but effective.

Losing experience is EQ-ish. What if some part was very difficult and caused you to die a lot? What if you sort of suck at the game and die so much that at a certain point, quests don't allow you to gather enough experience to level properly?

An extreme situation, certainly, but some food for thought.

You are going to die often in an MMO. Let's not make people want to punch a puppy because they died.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #51
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad View Post
Let's not make people want to punch a puppy because they died.
Yeah if they want to punch puppies it should be for other reasons.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #52
Nemez0r
Rookie

Current Game: UT2004, JKA MBII mod
No exp loss... thats rly ANNOYING... just like... be transported to a nearby medical facility (kolto tank? bacta tank? cloned like in galaxies?)
Nemez0r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #53
Saenjaina
Rookie

Current Game: GTA IV
I doubt the idea of cloning. At least I think it's a bad idea. Some would feel like 'cheating the system' (thereby taking on somewhat a RP position). But in comparison to the movies. Take the movies as an example. It would be kind of less exciting if Luke, Han, Leia or someone else died, and were simply cloned back. Now I now these are the conditions in SWG, and that there was also all that clone stuff going on with the Emporer in the extended universe. The point is, we aren't all Cylons. There should be a uniqueness connected to our lives in the game.

To get back on track.

I think the idea of being incapacitated is good, since it doesn't offend the 'realism'. A fair punishment could include being dragged to a medical facility (Bacta, bacta and more bacta), having you to travel back to your previous location yourself. Either with or without your equipment (lootable tombstone at death-scene?).

Last edited by Saenjaina; 06-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Saenjaina is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #54
Nemez0r
Rookie

yeah cloning IS sorta stupid... I like the idea of 'dying' (incapacitation) and then appear on a medical facility somewhere... fresh out of the bacta tank
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #55
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saenjaina View Post
I think the idea of being incapacitated is good, since it doesn't offend the 'realism'.
As I mentioned before, the game would seem a lot less real if you were in a deadly fight against an enemy who could never actually manage to kill you.

Let's kill ourselves.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #56
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
As I mentioned before, the game would seem a lot less real if you were in a deadly fight against an enemy who could never actually manage to kill you.
Like a Gizka? If i see a "Kill 10 Gizka's quest" then Bioware will have failed me >.<

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #57
Nemez0r
Rookie

Gizkas are very very DEADLY... small, but DEADLY
Old 06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #58
GreyJediMaster
Rookie

Current Game: kotor 2
the whole bacta tank - hospital thingy sounds good - what if there were medical ships from each side, in orbit above every planet in the game, picking people up? and every time you die, you wake up on one of these ships, and then have to explain to them what happened, and then ( for medical reasons or whatever) have to be held there for a bunch of hours/minuites?
GreyJediMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #59
Lukarnus
Lurker

Persnally i think a time based DP is the best one. When you die you res at the nearest outpost with a 15 minute death penalty of -10% wounds or stats with an option to clear this at a healer for a charge. Unless you are ressed by a team member when this could be reduced to 30 seconds.

This is how it works in Warhammer Online PVE and makes for a much faster style of play. You can get straight back into the action and if you die again you can always clear the dp by visiting the healer.
Lukarnus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #60
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
How about just not getting killed?

What would be great if the death scenes were in context to your situation. i.e, if you are in a party, you could have a GoW2 style "crawl to a teammate" vibe.

Going solo? maybe you could have an upgradeable ability or item that sends out a becon when you are dead/incapacitated to call a medic crew- sith or republic, depending on alliance ofc.

Just some more for the pool.

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Death