Thread: Music
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
jrrtoken

Music

I'm not sure what BioWare is doing working on, but I hope that they're considering the musical direction. Any thoughts on the presumed composer?

Hopefully, they will have Mark Griskey do the soundtrack. His work in KotOR II and TFU was amazing.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I happen to like Jeremy Soule (K1's composer) much more, and since he has worked with Bioware before, I'd very much like he did the scores for this game.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I happen to like Jeremy Soule (K1's composer) much more, and since he has worked with Bioware before, I'd very much like he did the scores for this game.
Soule is okay, but his stuff for K1 didn't always have the Star Wars feel. Case and point, Kashyyyk had ambient tribal music. That's okay, but isn't a staple point of Star Wars-y music classically thematic?

Griskey captured that essence by applying John Williams' principle, by adapting each orchestrated theme to fit a certain environment. Korriban left a feeling of mysterious, dark dread. The Jedi Enclave left a feeling of unknown hope. Dxun left the feeling of an untamed wild. All of those theme used orchestration to fit an environment, rather than trying to actually replicate the environment.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
DAWUSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
Soule is okay, but his stuff for K1 didn't always have the Star Wars feel. Case and point, Kashyyyk had ambient tribal music. That's okay, but isn't a staple point of Star Wars-y music classically thematic?

Griskey captured that essence by applying John Williams' principle, by adapting each orchestrated theme to fit a certain environment. Korriban left a feeling of mysterious, dark dread. The Jedi Enclave left a feeling of unknown hope. Dxun left the feeling of an untamed wild. All of those theme used orchestration to fit an environment, rather than trying to actually replicate the environment.

K1 did have his musical moments with Bastila and Malak's Themesongs.
DAWUSS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
K1 did have his musical moments with Bastila and Malak's Themesongs.
You're right,those are probably my favorites form KotOR I. Yet, the cons seem to outnumber the pros this time, though. I seriously wanted to just stop playing KotOR I when I heard the Taris Sewers theme.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
I always though the contrary. For me, Soule did a better job at this than Griskey. The majority of songs on K2 were dark, as the game itself was, that shouldn't limit the songs variations by itself but that happens nevertheless. It's personal taste, really, I don't like the tone of most musics, I don't like the instruments he used on them and especially the battle musics felt terribly awkward.

Now, from what I remember, K1 did a good job on matching a song with an environment. The tribal on the Sand People Village, the dark tone applied on the underseas of Manaan, the epic at the Upper City and the list goes on.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I regard most of the music in both KOTOR games as rather bland and forgettable. Aside from a handful of tracks (such as Darth Malak's theme from K1 and the theme on the Ravager from TSL), I don't like either of them that much, and think it would have been better if they had used more of the already-existing Star Wars music in the KOTOR games.

As for why I like all of the TFU music but only some of the TSL music, I haven't the foggiest idea. Maybe it felt more like Star Wars than the latter.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I'd like all the Star Wars music material in this game, it is large enough....from 1977 to every peice of music made up to today.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
Who composed Mass Effect's music?
Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
Rathoris
Rookie

a 12 year old with a dj program? ... man i really have mass effect hate issues... sorry...
wikipedia is your friend:
The Mass Effect Original Soundtrack was composed and produced by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick and featuring additional music by Richard Jacques and David Kates, the soundtrack was released on November 20, 2007.
Rathoris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
You didn't like Mass Effect's music (or the game at all it seems)? It sounded great to me.

It wouldn't bother me at all to see all the classic Star Wars music selections, but I personally enjoyed both K1 and K2's music, so if they decide to compose some new music of their own, that's cool.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
True_Avery
Banned

I preferred K1's music over K2's, and K1's music over some of the movies.

John William's will only let you use the original scores of his music, so any Star Wars music will be directly from him. The other music will probably be similar to K1, considering it is back in Bioware's hands.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
shukkoku
Rookie

Current Game: Uncharted 2
I loved the feel of kotor's music. Especially the intro level on the endar spire, the music was so fitting! and when your ship lands on dantooine it felt so tranquil. I think that he would do a great job.
shukkoku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Personally, I thought that Jeremy Soule's music for Kotor 1 was great, despite it not capturing the right feel for Star Wars. Mark Griskey's music for Kotor 2 and The Force Unleashed did a better job at that. I would prefer his, speaking realistically, though idealistically, I'd like to see Murray Gold compose the music. A lot of the music he's done for Doctor Who has a very Star Wars feel to it, in my opinion.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Phoenix96
Lurker

I have heard that they will use John Williams music from the films.
The ultimate solution would be if John Williams made a completely new score. if he doesn't, i hope Mark Griskey will score. if Mark griskey don't i hope for Joel Mcneely.

Because John Williams never have written music for an game i think he cant be considered.

Now to the Mark Griskey vs jeremy Soule battle.

Mark Griskey is the best of them by far. he makes fantastic symphonic star wars music that more than once surpasses the greates composers of our time! He is not as good as John Williams (who is?) but he is my favorite composer after maestro Williams. Jeremy soule makes more experimental scores and it is all electronic. he has the bastilla shan theme and some other great ones, but it isn't as brilliant as Mark griskey's works on TFU and TSL. I hope Mark Griskey return for TOR.

I have the complete scores from KOTOR,KOTOR II and TFU on my mp3 player, and listen to them daily. I really enjoy Mark Griskeys music and Jeremy Soule's isnt bad either, but Griskey has a genuine style that is very close to John Williams. but for now it looks like John Williams brilliant scores for episode I-VI will be in TOR (source: i think it was tracksound.com or something)
Phoenix96 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I like Soule and Griskey both so I'd be happy with either of those guys. Though both's music fit their respective games well.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
DarthAwesome
Rookie

Current Game: KOTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I like Soule and Griskey both so I'd be happy with either of those guys. Though both's music fit their respective games well.
I agree. Though I wish both of these guys would have used more familiar themes more often instead of just ambient and and random action music. They had a lot of tracks that just seemed like filler, to me. I really don't like the boring ambient music, like the one that was used on Tatooine. One thing I do not want to see though, is more of John William's recycled SW music. I think we've all had enough of that, since it's practically been used for every game.

Last edited by DarthAwesome; 07-29-2009 at 07:12 AM.
DarthAwesome is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Music

Tags
composer, music