lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #201
Bluddy
Lurker

Amazing job paprik. I also registered to voice my support for your amazing work.
Bluddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #202
paprik123456
Rookie

Current Game: Indiana jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Amazing job paprik. I also registered to voice my support for your amazing work.
Thanks a lot Bluddy! appreciated!

2D/3D Artist and Animator
Patrik Spacek
paprik123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #203
LordTrilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmile View Post
Not sure if this will work in game but......... ?

Im not even close to being done with all of the sprites...
I based it off the original box art.

What I need to know is since his hair is shorter here will it mess up the ingame sprite? Like will he have black splotches on top? I have no clue how to actually put it in the game.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6403/guybrush.png

The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #204
paprik123456
Rookie

character change

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTrilobite View Post
The front looks awesome, but in the sideviews the back of his head looks odd.
I will fix the guybrush character! There are so many upset people all over lucas-arts forums, so I will do it for yu guys. Let you know when its done!

This is what I am gonna fix, if you have more idea let me know:

- skin color
- eyes (not sure yet)
- hair
- eyebrows - color and (not sure yet) style
- expression and charm (not sure yet)
- shorter neck (not sure yet)
- getting closer to CMI look

I also think about Marley and Lechuck's final close-up face. Lechuck looks like he is happy he just died (smiling).

Patrik Spacek
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #205
MethodGit

Nobody got any suggestions about the CAF audio format then?
MethodGit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #206
LordTrilobite

Alright! I extracted the files from SoMI:SE. Now I shall do my part in improving graphics the best I can.

I was thinking of doing a blue LeChuck, and maybe some improvements on the forest.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #207
paprik123456
Rookie

imp

Quote:
Alright! I extracted the files from SoMI:SE. Now I shall do my part in improving graphics the best I can.

I was thinking of doing a blue LeChuck, and maybe some improvements on the forest.
I am glad there is next person doing new art for MI-SE, even I dont know how good you are and what I can recommend is follow the original game in any way. Lechuck supposed to be very creepy character with big respect. Are good painter or cg artist?

Patrik Spacek
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #208
LordTrilobite

In terms of shape, LeChuck isn't that bad, but the colour bothers me.

I'm fairly good with painting in Photoshop though, but I think I'll just recolour him. There are just so many sprites, repainting characters would be loads of work.
In general MI:SE isn't bad, it's just sloppy.

Another thing that bothers me btw, but I've yet to see anyone else say anything about it. The Important Looking Pirates in the Scummbar, their torso's that continue under teh table, aren't alligned with the proper perspective of the table. Making it look weird.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #209
Sphaa80
Lurker

Again, thanks for changing the graphichs. I love your project. And I would love you if you could do something with the sky in melee island (around the town).

But the reason I'm writing this is to ask if you could start a new thread instead of using this one. It would be much easier to follow both file format changes and graphic changes if they were in seperate threads.
Sphaa80 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #210
LordTrilobite

I've fixed the store alpha problems, or atleast I hope. Aligning the rope near the door was a bitch. But I have no idea how to get these back in to the game, can anyone help with that or tell me how to do it?

Store fixes include:
Rope near door
Front layer barrels

I'll upload the .psd files here
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...Z2o1R05jR0E9PQ

I also tried some things on LeChuck, but no luck yet in getting him look better, so I might try to fix up the forest first.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #211
LordTrilobite

I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.
But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.
The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #212
paprik123456
Rookie

answer

Quote:
I've started on the forest now, well, on the first half of the first scene. And you wouldn't believe how sloppy it is. I'm beginning to think that all the pixels in the forest is due to some mistake in switching layers, because it seems that a lot of pixels are overlapping the new graphics.
But fixing the whole forest is a massive undertaking. Would be better to spread this over several people, otherwize it would take ages.
The forest scene I'm working on is 100_forest-1 so no one else does double work.
ok, what you have to do is: Save you final psd as dds with same name as the original file (DXT5 alpha). Then convert them to dxt and copy them to the same folder where the original files are and rewrite them. Then take this folder (art/rooms/images/30_store) and copy that to game folder. If you have my Lookout scene already in the game, you need just add your folder 30_store. I explained this whole process in previous post and other people explain that here too.

Patrik Spacek
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #213
LordTrilobite

**** YEAH!
It works! I've fixed that pesky store alpha problem. The rope hanging in fron of the door now doesn't disappear when the door is opened. When looking in the room art files I also noticed that the barrels in the foreground had horrid alpha, lots of weird bumps and gaps where they shouldn't be. So I fixed those too.

Here's a screenshot, I'll upload the patch later when I've fixed more stuff. The alpha of the door is still not really perfect.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #214
LordTrilobite

Alright, here's my first patch.
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :P )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #215
paprik123456
Rookie

Quote:
Alright, here's my first patch.
https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...dEM4Q1R2Wmc9PQ (temp host, filefront was being slow)

I've fixed the most horrible problems in the store, and retouched one of the scenes in the forest (there are 20! in total :P )

The forest scene I've retouched is the place right in front of the treasure scene. Most visible pixels should be gone now, aswell as any strange alpha.

I'll update this patch as I continue fixing up other backgrounds.
I am very happy, you fix the art. What about put more details into it? For example forest scene: paint the leaves - make them look like leaves with all details and lighting, or trees - add detailed bark, details on leaves again, or the ground - make small pieces of sand and stone, branches, leaves from the trees, puddles. You can also put more depth into the image by adding very far view background and moon light and shadows. What do you think?

Patrik Spacek
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #216
LordTrilobite

Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.
So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.
Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.
So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6...eada0a1ae8665a

Last edited by LordTrilobite; 09-01-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #217
paprik123456
Rookie

bg

Quote:
Well, at the moment I'm only fixing the forest, not actually repainting stuff.
So what I've done exatcly, is blur the huge pixels and turn them in to blobs that blend in to the forest. Generally that looks quite well.
Only occasionally is it needed to really repaint certain stuff because there are just too many big pixels.

Anyhow, adding more details will be an insane amount of work. This is just one scene of the forest, there are about 20 more.
So I'm just fixing the background so it doesn't look sloppy or unfinished.

Also, I've finished another forest scene, it's 105_forest-6

I've found a more permanent download mirror, I've also included the second forest scene fix I just made and further improvements to the store.
It will be more work...maybe huge work... but also more rewarded. Fixing pixels is good, but doesnt change the quality of the paintings. If you look at my Lookout scene and their, there is huge different, and thats what you should do and people wanna see. Improve the paintings, not fix pixels or alphas. Just try one whole image, it doesnt matter how long it takes. For example, I made the scene in 2 days. If it takes a month, it doesnt matter, people still want to see it. You will also learn a lot and improve your skills. Try that, take some easy scene and make it rich.

Patrik Spacek
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #218
LordTrilobite

You seem to misunderstand my intentions, I'm making this for people who want a fixed Special Edition, not a changed one. Though I'll probably also make other patches that WILL change stuff, but there's nothing really wrong with the forest appart from the pixels which I'm already in the process of fixing.
If you really want to see a different forest instead of a fixed one, nothing's stopping you from making new backgrounds yourself.
I'm not going to repaint an entire background when it only had a few flaws that are easily fixed.

Also, working on 101_forest-2 now.

Last edited by LordTrilobite; 09-02-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #219
LordTrilobite

I added a smile to the SCUMMBAR sign, it didn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, I'm not gonna use it ingame, but if anyone wants it, tell me so and I'll upload it.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #220
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
I added a smile to the SCUMMBAR sign, it didn't turn out as pretty as I hoped, I'm not gonna use it ingame, but if anyone wants it, tell me so and I'll upload it.
I think, it's better than nothing. Maybe the wood could be a bit darker and the smiley sprayed on in light blue.

The text actually looks like painted on wood which is a good thing, unlike Stan's sign.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #221
xone
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprik123456 View Post
Hi Guys, first scene is done... here is the file:

http://leteckaposta.cz/493174926

What you have to do is unpack zip file, and copy Art folder to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\

This file also includes new Guybrush hair from "Riot23" (I guess)

Let me know how you like it... comments are welcome
Can anyone upload this mod (file don't exist any more over this link)?
Thanks in advance.

LordTrilobite can I ask you for the SCUMMBAR sign mod?

Last edited by xone; 09-10-2009 at 08:57 AM.
xone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #222
LordTrilobite

I've been lazy and haven't tried improving the Scummbar sign any further yet, but as you asked, I'll get to it and upload the mod. I'll see if a smilie in lighter paint looks good.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #223
paprik123456
Rookie

art goes....

I made new forum thread for this art visualizations.... pls use that one...

its here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200418

Patrik Spacek
Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #224
LordTrilobite

Alright, done.

Scummbar Smile Mod

I see you ninja posted before me, I'll post the link there aswel.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #225
xone
Lurker

@LordTrilobite thank you.. it looks nice

Cheers, X.
xone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #226
kenand
Rookie

I successfully edited speech.info with translate tool.
But I do not now how can I edit uiText.info
I tried edit it manually but did not work.

Is there any way to compress back folders to monkey.pak?
kenand is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #227
koun
Rookie

Thumbs up

uiText.info will be added in the next version of the tool. I've already finished the parser. (I will also be looking at hints file).
I didn't have much time for coding in last few weeks, because I move to another city, which ate up quite some time..., but the project is NOT dead, promised.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what language are you translating into? And are you planing to translate the entire game?
Having some regular feedback on new versions of the tool from real translators would be a great help.
koun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #228
kenand
Rookie

I translate full game to Hungarian language.
If you send me the tool I test it and write you the feedback
Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #229
ronzbig1
Rookie

I have question - if I want to change some chars in fonts, I only have to modify .png files? And which font is used in normal dialogues in game?
ronzbig1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #230
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzbig1 View Post
I have question - if I want to change some chars in fonts, I only have to modify .png files? And which font is used in normal dialogues in game?
The font used in normal dialogues should be MinisterT_bo_32, at least for the 1280x1024 resolution (I am not sure and have not checked if this changes with each resolution setting).
The "b' in the name means bold, and the "o" means that each letter has a thin black contour.

And no, you can't just add new chars in the font files by editing the .png files, albeit you can exchange an existing character (e.g the 'i') with another if you draw the new character exactly on top of the old, maintaining the old character's properties (height, width, etc).

But if you intend to add support for a new alphabet, the best way should be to extend the characters supported by the game by modifying the .font files AND the .png files properly. I plan to write a special tool for this, but I have no spare time currently. Hopefully that will change soon.
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #231
kenand
Rookie

Is the any way to compress back monkey1.pak?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #232
LordTrilobite

Not that I know of, but do you really need to? just placing the modded files in the right folders will make it work all the same.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #233
kenand
Rookie

I translate SE to hungarian version.
Would be great if I could edit fonts, because Hungarian language contains some additional fonts Ő Ű, ű,ő
Is tehere any apps that edit SE fonts?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #234
LordTrilobite

Aren't the fonts in there if you use that extracting tool?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #235
kenand
Rookie

Extract tool also extract fonts, but. But I do not kow file format, taht I could not edit them. I would like edit fonts adding special caracters. I could edit PNG, but I do not kow edit .font file...
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #236
LordTrilobite

It probably works the same as for any other font, as far as I know there are specific tools to make and edit fonts. You should google those or search on font sites I think.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #237
TheHutt
Rookie

You just take some letters you don't need in Hungarian (for instance, Ú or something like that) and draw the missing characters (like Ű) on its place in the PNG file. Then, you just have to write the letter Ú in the text script, whenever you want an Ű to appear.

Text script -> Game
Úzgúr -> Űzgűr
TheHutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #238
kenand
Rookie

I edited font png files, but nothing happend. I think windows version use .font files
Old 10-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #239
kenand
Rookie

Sorry my mistake, editing PNG fonts is working!
In 1024x768 resolution MinisterT_bo_24/or 30 editing is working.

Last edited by kenand; 10-18-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #240
enz°
Lurker

I've translated all fonts to russian language (for ENPYStudio)

MinisterT_bo_24_font_and_png.zip (33 Kb)

I used:
1) Adobe Photoshop (CS4) - creating temporary png with all chars (large space between chars)
2) my tool written on Delphi (2010) - recognize (cut) all chars images from temp.png, make compact (no spaces between chars) png with chars by my order (ex: ...Z[\]^`enzo_amdbcf... ), make *.font for this png.

Also I've writen a tool for editing the *.info

Now ENPY Studio & PRCA are works on the russian translation of this game.

Game logo on russian by ENPY Studio:

PS: sorry for my english.

Last edited by enz°; 10-21-2009 at 01:46 AM.
enz° is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Monkey Island Special Edition - File Formats