lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Revan and Malak revealed
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Revan and Malak revealed

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/ti...jedi-civil-war

Your thoughts?
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
Well... first.. I DON'T LIKE their Revan design xD
And i prefer the Kreia's version of the story... it seems that now they change what they have introduced before just to the benefit of their new game.

But i thinks it would be far a more original story, the Jedi that embraced the dark side for a good cause, who become the dark lord of the siths, to have the strength to protect the republic, instead of the classic "oh i'm a fallen jedi, I will conquer the galaxy on my master's will... oh noh! I'M DA LORD!!! the galaxy will be MINE!! mouhahahha" it's just too classic, all the siths lords are the same:
I betray my master, I try to kill the jedi and conquer the galaxy, and my apprentice kill me, try to kill the jedi and conquer the galaxy, and his apprentice kill him, try to kill the jedi and conquer the galaxy, and his apprentice kill him and..... i think you've got my point xD

And revan was in my opinion on the the few sith lords that were different, he was original... dude à guy who become the great bigg boss of the bad asses, just to save the galaxy was a premiere, and they blown away that version introduced in TSL to make him a sith lord wannabe... and redeemed over all...


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Revan turned mainstream...reverse grip...

Why oh why....

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Well, first thing is first: Revan's head design matches one found in the original Knights of the Old Republic. This gives players the chance, if they so choose, to play as the "canon" Revan.


Quote:
And i prefer the Kreia's version of the story
Nothing contradicts it, though. Revan did go into the Unknown Regions to hunt down the enemy-- he just didn't know what he would find. He also did come back to prepare the Republic for invasion, which was the underlying hint since the first game. It works pretty well, actually. His fall started on Malachor V and ended on Dromund Kaas and his intentions are still his own.

Quote:
Revan turned mainstream...reverse grip...
They both surprised and annoyed me a bit; Revan has always been seen using the regular grip. I don't want to try and make a story for it-- I'll just accept it as it was, for now.


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
Quote:
Nothing contradicts it, though. Revan did go into the Unknown Regions to hunt down the enemy-- he just didn't know what he would find. He also did come back to prepare the Republic for invasion, which was the underlying hint since the first game. It works pretty well, actually. His fall started on Malachor V and ended on Dromund Kaas and his intentions are still his own.
Well it say Revan have completely fall into the dark side, and has gone to the republic to conquer it for his masters, but in the way he change his mind and decide to conquer the republic for himself, it don't say at all that Revan has plans to protect the republic before his redemption, so the "Revan was preparing the republic from an ever greater evil", and the "are you sure revan ever fall into the dark side?", and the stuff that revan has sacrificed himself by becoming the sith lord just to protect the republic. So, in what they say now, he's just a sith wannabe, that wanted to keep the republic strong to protect his own sith empire...


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
I agree with you Seikan, I liked TSL's version much better. LA has no originality anymore.

Revan I believed as the master of pwnage, but now they have ruined it with adding the classic evil sith ****. Amazing.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
It was obvious from the very beginning. It's just that because Revan is the player character of the first game, nobody likes to see him as the amoral Sith Lord he was, because that ruins the self-insert experience.

Besides, it doesn't contradict Kreia's claim that Revan did it to save the galaxy from the "true" Sith. Like any tyrant, Revan no doubt believed that he would be a stronger and more benevolent ruler whose reign would save many lives.

The only new thing from this video is that now we know Revan's face and his lightsaber color post-memory damage.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Quote:
Well it say Revan have completely fall into the dark side
I believe that it says: "But no one knew how fall Revan had already fallen" as it was leaving the Mandalorian Wars. That, to me, hints at the fact that what we already know from Kreia & the Kotor comic is true: Revan found Malachor V and its Trayus Academy before the end of the war and him meeting with the Sith Emperor sealed the deal.

It also makes it very clear that Revan wanted to be his own man and had his own ambitions. He is already unique in the fact that he wanted to combine both the teachings of the Jedi and Sith to create something that just worked. His master-mind plan of getting the Republic ready for the "True Sith" still works-- he knew what to expect and he needed things ready.


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,257
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Revan turned mainstream...reverse grip...

Why oh why....
Force Unleashed. Blame Hayden Blackmann. And whoever it was that made that picture--and whatever influences (if any) played part in that.

Ugh...shien reverse grip variation of form V shien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Skywalker15 View Post
Well, first thing is first: Revan's head design matches one found in the original Knights of the Old Republic.
I know which head, but which "design" image are you referring to? Jog my memory, as I can't recall any specific official image to this effect ATM.

Quote:
This gives players the chance, if they so choose, to play as the "canon" Revan.
I think it was artist's preference--or an influence thereof. Likely the reason being it is the most similar head to Ep. 3 Anakin. :¬:


Quote:
Nothing contradicts it, though. Revan did go into the Unknown Regions to hunt down the enemy-- he just didn't know what he would find. He also did come back to prepare the Republic for invasion, which was the underlying hint since the first game. It works pretty well, actually. His fall started on Malachor V and ended on Dromund Kaas and his intentions are still his own.
I think the team was careful to not contradict it. I think most of us can live with that, and TSL just simply being left forgotten.

Quote:
They both surprised and annoyed me a bit; Revan has always been seen using the regular grip. I don't want to try and make a story for it-- I'll just accept it as it was, for now.
Quoted for truth and emphasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
Well it say Revan have completely fall into the dark side, and has gone to the republic to conquer it for his masters, but in the way he change his mind and decide to conquer the republic for himself, it don't say at all that Revan has plans to protect the republic before his redemption, so the "Revan was preparing the republic from an ever greater evil", and the "are you sure revan ever fall into the dark side?", and the stuff that revan has sacrificed himself by becoming the sith lord just to protect the republic. So, in what they say now, he's just a sith wannabe, that wanted to keep the republic strong to protect his own sith empire...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
It was obvious from the very beginning. It's just that because Revan is the player character of the first game, nobody likes to see him as the amoral Sith Lord he was, because that ruins the self-insert experience.

Besides, it doesn't contradict Kreia's claim that Revan did it to save the galaxy from the "true" Sith. Like any tyrant, Revan no doubt believed that he would be a stronger and more benevolent ruler whose reign would save many lives.
I pretty much agree that he probably would have thought he could do a better job as sith almighty on the dark side. Not so much saving the galaxy but rather keeping it for himself. It's the dark side afterall. Kreia's speculation may have had an optimistic slant because Revan "didn't know himself".

Quote:
The only new thing from this video is that now we know Revan's face and his lightsaber color post-memory damage.
Guess the devil is in the details.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 06-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Quote:
I know which head, but which "design" image are you referring to? Jog my memory, as I can't recall any specific official image to this effect ATM.
The one I thought of, and can see the closest resemblance to the third throw, fourth down here: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...cesofrevan.jpg

Quote:
I think it was artist's preference--or an influence thereof. Likely the reason being it is the most similar head to Ep. 3 Anakin.
Indeed, but now I feel like the "real" Revan when I use it.


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
I believe that it says: "But no one knew how fall Revan had already fallen" as it was leaving the Mandalorian Wars. That, to me, hints at the fact that what we already know from Kreia & the Kotor comic is true: Revan found Malachor V and its Trayus Academy before the end of the war and him meeting with the Sith Emperor sealed the deal.

Well it says "the fall of Revan and Malak to the dark side was complete", so they're saying Revan have completely fall into the dark side, and kriea say he never fall, and that he sacrifice himself, for the galaxy safety.
And it's not because of bad revan or good revan, that i don't like it, for example, I love Darth Bane, or the ancient Siths, but Revan was just something more... Like Kreia said, his actions has always been his own, not influenced by the dark side, and here, they tell us he have completely fall into the dark side...

Ans i don't see the Revan's face any where...


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274

Last edited by Seikan; 06-16-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Isn't this whole movie just an account given by some 'Jedi dude' who had his own opinion about Revan and what happened, just like Kreia had her own? It's not like 'I know everything and you have to listen to my words' It's not like Revan himself is telling about his motives. It happens in 'Darth Bane: Path of Destruction'. Then you know that Revan fall to the Dark Side completely. (hint: Revan's holocron)


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
Isn't this whole movie just an account given by some 'Jedi dude' who had his own opinion about Revan and what happened, just like Kreia had her own? It's not like 'I know everything and you have to listen to my words' It's not like Revan himself is telling about his motives. It happens in 'Darth Bane: Path of Destruction'. Then you know that Revan fall to the Dark Side completely. (hint: Revan's holocron)
No...you see...there are degrees of canon.
We knew VERY little about Revan, what he did before Kotor 1 and after Kotor 2, to be exact.

Degrees of canon:

G-Canon is what George Lucas DIRECTLY influenced or said. That Anakin IS the chosen one, for example.
T-canon,[2] or Television Canon is the Clone Wars series...very sad...Ahsoka is there to stay...so is the Hutt-baby. BAH.
C-canon is Continuity Canon games, comics, books, etc.

You see, because this is PART of SWTOR, it is automatically C-canon. Only if a television series, remark from George Lucas or the game itself proves it's false (equal or higher canon), it's there to stay. And since it's a newer source then the Darth Bane book, it's the new accepted fate of Revan.

You see why many people hate the Clone Wars series now? It overwrites every comic, game, book about the Mandalorians, Clones, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin...bah.

What you see in the clip is the 'New Truth' so to say.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
Whatever happens I keep the Kreia's version, the new one is a ***** >.<

And I think, you people are mistaken, there sin't the revan's face anywhere..


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274

Last edited by Seikan; 06-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
@Ztalker
I knew about the degrees of canon. What I didn't know is that newer source replaces the older ones. That's completely insane and lacks logic in my point of view... but it clarifies a lot.

Still I don't have to care about canon or not if different pieces fit with together and the story makes sense for me And even if the 'Jedi dude's' story it new canon from now on, I still think it isn't some kind of revealed truth about Revan but only his point of view and his approach to Revan's fall.


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Whatever happens I keep the Kreia's version
This.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
@Ztalker
I knew about the degrees of canon. What I didn't know is that newer source replaces the older ones. That's completely insane and lacks logic in my point of view... but it clarifies a lot.

Still I don't have to care about canon or not if different pieces fit with together and the story makes sense for me And even if the 'Jedi dude's' story it new canon from now on, I still think it isn't some kind of revealed truth about Revan but only his point of view and his approach to Revan's fall.
I totally agree, for myself those pictures are 'wrong ones' that the in-universe master Dural found. It's not like I 'hate' the game now, I just feel they shouldn't have touched it.
Because, now that they canonised unknown stuff, it's here to stay. And that's...uncool.

I once said somewhere that I'd love to see some Force-induced flash-back on an unknown world where a masked Revan and hooded exile destroy some big academy and it's leaders, setting back the Sith a few hundred years and eventually falling in battle against the Sith Emperor or something.
You know, rebel against their former master, do something epic.
Revan's epicness is quit gone now...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
DarthJacen
Forumite
 
DarthJacen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 596
They never, actually, show Revan's face. He's always looking away, behind a mask, or concealed by the hood of his cloak.



Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #19
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
I think, they think, that the jedi with a double lightsaber in the begining, is Revan, but he's not. °°Just a random jedi, fighting an other random jedi during the jedi civil war.


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
DarthJacen
Forumite
 
DarthJacen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 596
Correct the artist uses a few "camera" tricks to keep us from ever seeing Revan's face.



Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,257
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
I totally agree, for myself those pictures are 'wrong ones' that the in-universe master Dural found. It's not like I 'hate' the game now, I just feel they shouldn't have touched it.
Because, now that they canonised unknown stuff, it's here to stay. And that's...uncool.
Hey, it's all from a 'certain point of view' after the fact. But in essence I agree.

While I like the Jedi Guardian class, anyone can use any color lightsaber even if blue happens to be the most common. Also can use any variant thereof. If it were my way it'd be 2 lightsabers, HOTG bronze/red-orange and MOTF cyan/turquoise.

You can just pick and choose what you want and say "to hell with the rest", no biggie.

Quote:
I once said somewhere that I'd love to see some Force-induced flash-back on an unknown world where a masked Revan and hooded exile destroy some big academy and it's leaders, setting back the Sith a few hundred years and eventually falling in battle against the Sith Emperor or something.
You know, rebel against their former master, do something epic.
Revan's epicness is quit gone now...
Well, I do think we'll find out but I'm not holding my breath on whatever 'it' is as being any huge 'epic' thing. I just hope they ended Revan with dignity. As to the Exile, same thing but I'm counting on it largely being ignored and the Exile being lost in obscurity. LA (to my guess) had initially intended there to be some implied future clash between revan and exile from the vision in Kressh's tomb. That and how mandalore says certain things if you have enough influence with him in TSL about the two of them not being singular jedi. However those hints themselves would be giving too much away. So LA will probably say either it was a glimpse into the past, or "only a possibility" glimpse into the future.

Still, those sith warrors do at least make me curious, now.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie
 
Son of Skywalker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 167
Quote:
They never, actually, show Revan's face. He's always looking away, behind a mask, or concealed by the hood of his cloak.
This is true. However, being that it is Bioware who created that face with long brown hair, in that exact same style, for their game, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's what the artist had in mind while doing it-- to make it canon or not. You can clearly see long brown hair in the style of the template used in Kotor, even without the face. Here is a nice shot of his head from behind.

I think fans misinterpret what being "canon" does to something-- it simply makes it what the galaxy far, far away sees it as; if you don't want to do it that way, by all means, don't. However, if it's ever referenced again, which is what fans obviously want, they need a solid stance to take; gender, side, looks, etc.

It's for editorial necessity, not to detract from your experience at all. Developers, writers, and the like want fans to have that immersion when they play the game. They just also must take into consideration that characters may be explored further. Case in point: Jaden Korr.


Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #23
DarthJacen
Forumite
 
DarthJacen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Skywalker15 View Post
This is true. However, being that it is Bioware who created that face with long brown hair, in that exact same style, for their game, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's what the artist had in mind while doing it-- to make it canon or not. You can clearly see long brown hair in the style of the template used in Kotor, even without the face. Here is a nice shot of his head from behind.

I think fans misinterpret what being "canon" does to something-- it simply makes it what the galaxy far, far away sees it as; if you don't want to do it that way, by all means, don't. However, if it's ever referenced again, which is what fans obviously want, they need a solid stance to take; gender, side, looks, etc.

It's for editorial necessity, not to detract from your experience at all. Developers, writers, and the like want fans to have that immersion when they play the game. They just also must take into consideration that characters may be explored further. Case in point: Jaden Korr.
Yep, sorry people, but you can't have two versions of the same story if you are going to add it to the overall canon known as the Expanded Universe.



Search your feelings, you know it to be true
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
The Best Damn Republic Guild
DarthJacen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #24
S_W_LeGenD
Rookie
 
S_W_LeGenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Asia
Posts: 56
Revan needs a proper canonical background and image, regardless of how people play him in KoTOR. It will be a progress.

This holocron is one of such steps in the right direction. I want Revan's story to be completed and his feats covered in detail.
S_W_LeGenD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
Blix
Veteran
 
Blix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Aboard the Ravager
Posts: 865
Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
The star forge map looks like there were more planets aligned with the star forge than what we saw in K1.


Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #26
Dr. Makaveli
Lurker
 
Dr. Makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 9
Current Game: Jedi Knights-Outcast
It could be also that they are trying to pitch their game to a larger audience, which a good number have likely not played TSL. Like just general WOW/MMO fans or gamers... it could possibly confuse outsiders, the more in depth story. Or perhaps I'm naive. :P


You may be gone, but you're never over.
Dr. Makaveli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,193
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Makaveli View Post
It could be also that they are trying to pitch their game to a larger audience, which a good number have likely not played TSL. Like just general WOW/MMO fans or gamers... it could possibly confuse outsiders, the more in depth story. Or perhaps I'm naive. :P
This has been my concern since day one, yea the graphics are 1999, the sabers are fat and everyone looks like a Cro-Magnon, but I can live with that for the sake of Cheapskate and fouryearold's PC setup. However, I really didn't want this dumbed down and sand-boxed just to draw the MMO posse... But, at the end of the day they talk a good fight and we'll have to wait and see, because to be honest 90% of what we have been told or seen is sub-contracted Digital animation and comics. Proofs in the Pudding.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #28
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...
 
Fallen Guardian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Unknown Regions
Posts: 1,286
Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I like how Kreia describes it.


The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #29
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Remember one thing, anthing you hear is from some Jedi Historian. So the truth on how Revan is thinking at the time remains not totally known. My guess is that he is using the Sith Emperor from day one, to build his own vision of a Republic (which is basically Revan's Empire).

And note that the timeline kinda totally ignores the Exile? Maybe everyone thinks that the canon of of having that stupid Mical poodoo on the Ebon Hawk is a bad idea, Briana ftw. (Yes, I don't mind Exile being female, but Mical I CANNOT stand)


...
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired View Post
So the truth on how Revan is thinking at the time remains not totally known. My guess is that he is using the Sith Emperor from day one, to build his own vision of a Republic (which is basically Revan's Empire).
Uh-huh. So Revan, some Jedi Knight who literally stumbles across the Sith Empire, is the one who is using them to further his own goals when they're the ones who turned him into a Sith and sent him back to kill the Republic. Yeah, I don't frigging think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
I totally agree, for myself those pictures are 'wrong ones' that the in-universe master Dural found. It's not like I 'hate' the game now, I just feel they shouldn't have touched it.
Because, now that they canonised unknown stuff, it's here to stay. And that's...uncool. .
This line of thinking is something I've seen a lot of in this fanbase, and I can't for the life of me make sense of it. Why does a group that doesn't care about what's in the canon of even the two games (let alone the rest of the EU) care what "changes" are being made in newer stories?


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #31
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Uh-huh. So Revan, some Jedi Knight who literally stumbles across the Sith Empire, is the one who is using them to further his own goals when they're the ones who turned him into a Sith and sent him back to kill the Republic. Yeah, I don't frigging think so.


This line of thinking is something I've seen a lot of in this fanbase, and I can't for the life of me make sense of it. Why does a group that doesn't care about what's in the canon of even the two games (let alone the rest of the EU) care what "changes" are being made in newer stories?
Because I do care. It's not like I'm angry about or will throw myself of a bridge....but the way they portray Revan...it's not the way most people played him, with the armor and back-hand grip. I used to be a huge Kotor fan and the game was all about 'being Revan.' By 'canonising' many stuff about Revan, the magic of the character (which is the player him/herself) is somewhat lost.
For example, everyone who played a short-haired of female Revan is already 'out of the loop' now. the character that appeared in the video's is not 'their' Revan.

I can see why it appears strange. It's a completely fictional character. But it's a fictional character that was shaped by every individual player. Unlike Gordon Freeman or The Duke, the character of Revan get's 'closer' to you, which is one of the plusses of most RPG's.

But anyway, I look forward to SWTOR. The fact that Bioware tries to 'end' Revans story in a nice way is commendable

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #32
Lord Foley
Junior Member
 
Lord Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 335
Why is everyone complaining about the story when in fact it's that absolutely retarded "edgy" lightsaber grip that ruins everything? Starkiller has a quirky style of fighting, okay. OH BUT ITS SO COOL THAT EVERY COOL CHARACTER SHOULD DO IT.

I think they should remake the movie saga with every Jedi/Sith holding their lightsaber like that.


"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
the way they portray Revan...it's not the way most people played him, with the armor and back-hand grip. I used to be a huge Kotor fan and the game was all about 'being Revan.' By 'canonising' many stuff about Revan, the magic of the character (which is the player him/herself) is somewhat lost.
For example, everyone who played a short-haired of female Revan is already 'out of the loop' now. the character that appeared in the video's is not 'their' Revan.
That's what I don't get. Why does the canon rendering of the character shaft the experience of an individual player any more than another individual's does? They fall into the same category as far as the individual is concerned: Another "version".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
Why is everyone complaining about the story when in fact it's that absolutely retarded "edgy" lightsaber grip that ruins everything?
Are you ****ting me?


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 09-21-2010 at 06:31 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #34
Sisiana
Rookie
 
Sisiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24
Cool Guy

My thoughts? That my Revan will continue to be female/awesome/came back from outer regions and I will subsequently ignore this mmo and substitute my own canon! Peace out!


Sisiana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #35
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
That's what I don't get. Why does the canon rendering of the character shaft the experience of an individual player any more than another individual's does? They fall into the same category as far as the individual is concerned: Another "version".


Are you ****ting me?
Let's agree to disagree. It's useless for us both to continue

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Okie-dokie.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #37
mattig89ch
Junior Member
 
mattig89ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In or around NYC
Posts: 417
I dunno. We now know he was a gaurdian before the mem wipe. But I do like Kreai's version better. Falling to save the republic (or trying to).

But, to me at least, I'd be more then willing to admit that he had every intention of saving the republic.....at first. Then he because consumed by wanting to control his own empire that he kept those shipyards and star bases alive for his own use. Of course, malak was an idiot and just destroyed everything.

I suppose its just open to interpretation.




Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #38
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
I don't see how the man can be said to have wanted to preserve the Republic since he declared war on it. The closest accurate thing was that he wanted to preserve the galaxy's people.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #39
Seikan
Junior Member
 
Seikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 433
Well, something is the way Mala did the War, an other thing is how Revan did it.
Revan wasn't triying to crash the republic and it's army, but to take control over it, he would probably have strike Coruscant, and forced the republic to capitulate, keeping a part of it's soldiers, their military resources etc...

Unlike Malak who destroyed entire planets for his pleasure.

And also when it's say that he wanted to preserve the republic I think it's more the planets, on it, and not the political system.

But we should also think that he does fall to the dark side, not because he couldn't resist, but to conquer the republic and prepare it against the true siths. Like Kreia told the exile "maybe he became the dark lord to prevent a greater evil". It don't means he wasn't evil, it means the true Siths were worse, and that he might defeat them taking control over the republic. and then the Repubic would be better than it would be after being conquerer by the true siths.


Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Unlike Malak who destroyed entire planets for his pleasure.
Malak is known to have ordered exactly two planets destroyed during his time as a Sith. The first was to test the loyalty of an experienced and high-ranking leader of the Sith Navy, and the second was to prevent the escape of an individual who was the only advantage which the Republic had over the Sith. Revan's plans to convert followers and destroy his enemies killed no smaller amount of people (would anyone like a serving of Malachor V?).


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 09-28-2010 at 04:21 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Revan and Malak revealed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.