lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II was announced at the Spike Video Game Awards. They showed a pre-rendered CG teaser trailer:

YouTube version:

View page
YouTube Video

GameTrailers version:

GameTrailers Video

Last edited by DarthParametric; 12-20-2009 at 12:00 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well, I just hope the name "The Force Unleashed" will be justified in the sequel. I mean, basically what you could do in the (extremely disappointing) first part was several varieties of Force Push and a little Force Lightning (I'm not counting saber throw as a Force power).

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I got a little Moist Just Now

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
spoiler:
But isnt he dead?

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I have a theory...perhaps it's an offspring of Juno and Marek and not actually marek himself...it sounds like something LA would do...

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That would push it out well beyond the end of the OT, long after Vader, Palps, and Yoda are all dead. I'm pretty sure this will be set between ANH and ESB and that you'll be spending some time on Dagobah with everyone's favourite little green friend.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I have a theory...perhaps it's an offspring of Juno and Marek and not actually marek himself...it sounds like something LA would do...
That would be rather difficult to explain, since Juno and Galen never went past kissing.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
That would push it out well beyond the end of the OT, long after Vader, Palps, and Yoda are all dead. I'm pretty sure this will be set between ANH and ESB and that you'll be spending some time on Dagobah with everyone's favourite little green friend.
Their press release confirms the game is still set between Episode III and Episode IV. After watching the trailer again, I don't really know what the explanation will be but it's almost like he's not really alive the way Vader and Yoda are talking.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
True_Avery
Banned

Perhaps he is pulling a Scion or something. He is arguably the strongest non-comic book force user around.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I'm getting the feeling that Star Wars is being taken over by Michael Bay. We've seen signs in every game that isn't Clone Wars-related.

Hi, I'm Michael Bay, and I demand things to be awesome.

Awesome walker.

Awesome lightsaber!

Awesome saber-throw!

You can't have awesome Star Wars without awesome rancor!

Awesome Shaft walk!

Awesome photography!

Awesome Force Jump!

Awesome droid...

AWESOME FORCE POWERS YEAAAHHHHHH WHOOOOO!!!

I'm Michael Bay, and **** YEAH, I approve this message.

Much like Mr. Bay himself, this new development could be a blessing or a curse.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 12-13-2009 at 04:31 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
JediAthos

Quote:

Good point...okay...crappy theory...I'll be interested to see how they explain it...wonder if we'll have to wait another full year to figure it out...even with a 2010 release it could very well be this time next year before we see this game.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I'd like to say blessing, but until they have a really feasible explanation of exactly how Marek survived, I think the needle is pointing towards the 'curse' end of the scale.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Rake
Rookie

I'm more worried about what the hell Marik is going to do in the two years left that will make a good story.
Rake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Their press release confirms the game is still set between Episode III and Episode IV. After watching the trailer again, I don't really know what the explanation will be but it's almost like he's not really alive the way Vader and Yoda are talking.
Hrmm... I figured as the first game ended right on the cusp of ANH that the sequel would be after it. I guess they could focus the game over a very narrow period of time - say a few weeks or so - but they didn't give themselves a whole lot of room to move IMO. Of course Lucas is the king of retcon, so anything is possible I guess.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
Well, I just hope the name "The Force Unleashed" will be justified in the sequel. I mean, basically what you could do in the (extremely disappointing) first part was several varieties of Force Push and a little Force Lightning (I'm not counting saber throw as a Force power).
Really, I thought TFU was a little too over the top as it is.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That part surprised me more than the announcement of the sequel. I was hoping for Starkiller to meet Luke Skywalker after the fall of the Empire. Anyway, if Juno is back, I would actually look forward to seeing her reaction when she sees that Starkiller is still alive. Heck, let it be some sort of old fashion where she is holding something that is glass and she drops it out of shock and you hear the glass shatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor Kaine View Post
I'd like to say blessing, but until they have a really feasible explanation of exactly how Marek survived, I think the needle is pointing towards the 'curse' end of the scale.
I'm sure that will be covered. I mean he "died" during an explosion while being right next to Sidious and Sidious didn't get a scratch. That was a part that threw me off when I first saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I just had a time warp mentally. It was like I went back in time to the late 90's and the early 2000's and listened to all sorts of theories about how the Prequels were going to be played out.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #17
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Really, I thought TFU was a little too over the top as it is.
When I compare it to what you could do and especially the amount of different Force powers you had in Jedi Outcast (and/or Jedi Academy), TFU can only be characterized as "crappy".

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
True_Avery
Banned

The odd thing was, I actually had more fun with the Wii version of TFU more than the actual version. Thought it used the Wiimote is some fun ways.

But, regardless, what little story I liked out of the first seems to be gone. I liked the whole impact of him sacrificing himself for the birth of the Rebels, and the fact that Vader and Sidious gave birth to it accidentally.

Now we find out he's "alive" or something even though it was expressly stated by Vader and Sidious that he was dead. Other than pulling a Sion, where as in he is keeping himself alive with the Force, I don't see any... satisfying story in this.

That and this is another 6 original movie game. I know I'm just pulling at straws, but I'm honestly just so tired of this entire 46 or so year span of time.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
To be honest, I'm only a little irritated by the possibility of them bringing him back. Yes, it does kind of take the weight off of the first game's story, but the Star Wars canon is already so convoluted and ****ed up that it really isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Just learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I was hoping for Starkiller to meet Luke Skywalker after the fall of the Empire.
They do have him "meet" Luke in the DLC set on Hoth during ESB. They could always have a post-ROTJ encounter occur in the 3rd game (assuming they make one).
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
To be honest, I'm only a little irritated by the possibility of them bringing him back. Yes, it does kind of take the weight off of the first game's story, but the Star Wars canon is already so convoluted and ****ed up that it really isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Just learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
That is the most reasonable thing I've heard all day.

Man, being a Star Wars fan is just a kick in the teeth, isn't it?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
i'm afraid they are going style over substance
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Like I said somewhere else, this will probably be for gameplay sake and not really story.

I guess on top of gameplay sake you could put in for completest sake.

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling that Star Wars is being taken over by Michael Bay. We've seen signs in every game that isn't Clone Wars-related.
Apparently you aren't the only one who thinks so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj°len View Post
The trailer on the official website might as well have been directed by Michael Bay.
"Why have one lightsaber when he can have two? Why a rancor when there can be like... something BIGGER than a rancor? Let's have things exploding for no reason as he walks down a hallway. Hey, let's put in some voice overs from the movies for some reason."
@ Astor Kaine: While yes the point needle is in the 'curse' direction, apparently you just changed your av to reflect that new Starkiller image.
An optimist are we?
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
@ Astor Kaine: While yes the point needle is in the 'curse' direction, apparently you just changed your av to reflect that new Starkiller image.
An optimist are we?
Aside from the picture being awesome, yes. I'm skeptical for the time being, but i'm not going to condemn or praise it until we hear from the development team.

If they spent more time on the actual gameplay mechanics instead of exclaiming how awesome DMM and Euphoria were, the first one might have been a lot better (I liked it mostly, but general consensus seems to disagree with me here).

I'm hoping that they don't make the same mistake this time. So long as they cut down on the flash and concentrate on the basics, it might be pretty good. But, as you say, this is pure optimism at this point.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #25
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I actually yawned during the trailer.....i'm normally a very positive person but LA has really let me down.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #26
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

One thing about the gameplay/simple level design from the last game.

In an interview (don't ask me which one, I don't remember >_<), I read that the devs had so much trouble getting the Havok/DMM/Euphoria to all work together that they didn't have as much time to work on the actual gameplay than they wanted to. Fortunately, for TFU 2, the DMM/Havok/Euphoria have already been worked out, so the devs can concentrate on improving on the level design and gameplay quality.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #27
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
They do have him "meet" Luke in the DLC set on Hoth during ESB. They could always have a post-ROTJ encounter occur in the 3rd game (assuming they make one).
I realize that as I've played the Hoth level.

Let me rephrase that since I confused you. I would like light sided Starkiller meet Luke Skywalker AFTER the events of ROTJ.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #28
Cayal
Lurker

It certainly isn't Michael Bay influenced...it doesn't have any helicopters.
Cayal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #29
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I realize that as I've played the Hoth level.

Let me rephrase that since I confused you. I would like light sided Starkiller meet Luke Skywalker AFTER the events of ROTJ.
Can I join the club?

For me, the only reason how this game could work is if it's set +/- 10 years AFTER the first game, with the Empire fallen and all. In 10aby, Luke has bested Palpatine and is recruiting Jedi apprentices from all over the galaxy. Maybe a gladiator on a VERY remote world (no Imperial control? Unknown Regions?) could be helping him with this? And disappear before Katarn, Horn and Kypp start training?

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #30
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
I think I would have to play the Ultimate Sith Edition before I place any criticism on this game as it looks good to me.

*EDIT* The video in first post is unavailable for viewing.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #31
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Replaced, but the GameTrailers link still works regardless.

I only put the YouTube video there because that's the only site you can embed from, unless one of the admins wants to add this code snippet - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=212472 (while you're at it, there's also the YouTube HD snippet as well)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #32
JediAthos

I won't condemn or praise this game before I see footage, and have more info. I did actually enjoy TFU the first time I played it. There was something satisfying about flinging my enemies off cliffs (or perhaps I'm just sadistic)

Anyway, as I said I'll be curious as to where they plan to take the story...I don't fear retcon simply because we've come to expect it from LA more than anything. So there's really no telling where they'll branch off to, but if they can make up for the failings that TFU did have then perhaps we can call it progress...maybe.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #33
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayal View Post
It certainly isn't Michael Bay influenced...it doesn't have any helicopters.
Yet.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #34
Spadille
Rookie

Current Game: Saint's Row
I liked this trailer, but as stated everywhere the game is discussed, I don't see how the hell Starkiller survuved (if it's not a prequel).
Spadille is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #35
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadille View Post
I liked this trailer, but as stated everywhere the game is discussed, I don't see how the hell Starkiller survuved (if it's not a prequel).
Since it had one of Juno's lines in it, I doubt it's a prequel.

I really hope they have a very, very good reason for him still bein' around...if they don't, it'll ruin the whole game.

Well, back to getting trophies for the first one! (goes back to PS3)

Short stories:

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #36
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well they already had him surviving an impossible scenario in the first game when Vader tossed him out a window into space, so I'm sure the apparent death during the LS ending is only a minor speed bump.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #37
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Well they already had him surviving an impossible scenario in the first game when Vader tossed him out a window into space, so I'm sure the apparent death during the LS ending is only a minor speed bump.
As long as you exhale your breath, its quite possible to survive in space for up to about a minute. But yeah, the guy has proven to be hard to kill but it is one thing to be hard to kill and another for the two of them to flat out look at him and say "He is dead".
Old 12-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #38
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
As long as you exhale your breath, its quite possible to survive in space for up to about a minute. But yeah, the guy has proven to be hard to kill but it is one thing to be hard to kill and another for the two of them to flat out look at him and say "He is dead".
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the standard Star Wars EU solution to when you want to bring back a previously killed character for more action/milking: Cloning. Starkiller 1 died, so let's bring Starkiller 2 out of storage and carry on.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #39
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Ah of course. Good call stoffe. And seeing as they have apparently completely retconned all Karen Traviss's stuff about the Clones/Mandos, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kamino involved if that were the case.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #40
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA
As long as you exhale your breath, its quite possible to survive in space for up to about a minute.
I think the more prevalent problem is the fact that he had just been stabbed right through the gut with a lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the standard Star Wars EU solution to when you want to bring back a previously killed character for more action/milking: Cloning. Starkiller 1 died, so let's bring Starkiller 2 out of storage and carry on.
I'd actually be half-willing to accept that explanation. Palpatine used a lot of clones, after all (clones of himself, clone of Sate Pestage, clone of Jorus C'baoth, the clone armies, Bevel Lemelisk, etcetera). With that in mind, I'd be willing to buy the idea of Palpy cloning him for some reason.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II