lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: fear of childhood indoctrination
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
kipperthefrog
Veteran

fear of childhood indoctrination

you know how you you basically have to be 18 to see artistic nudity (except in museums).

I worry that it will indoctrinate kids against it to make them think its wrong and when they grow up they don't think about it critically and they overwhelm us free thinkers and pass laws against depictions of nudity.

kipperthefrog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Enculturation

Children are enculturated into the norms and values of the culture in which they are raised and/or the norms and values of their parents.

This is probably why some cultures feel that free speech is so important (so that people can be exposed to different points of view, etc).
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
kipperthefrog
Veteran

so are we or are we not in danger of loosing our freedom of choice in what we want to watch and enjoy?

kipperthefrog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Depends on who you mean by "we".

There are already many cultures that dictate norms, prohibit free speech, censor artistic expression, etc.

If you're talking about those of us in the U.S., our freedoms are guaranteed via the Bill of Rigths. The degree to which we allow others to limit or reverse those rights depends on us. If we sit on our butts and continue to let the Rapture Right try to hijack our government, then I would say that it's probably a matter of time. If we educate ourselves, vote, and otherwise actively participate in our government ("by the people, for the people" and so on) then I would say we'll probably be ok.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
^^^ Thank you.
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
If you're talking about those of us in the U.S., our freedoms are guaranteed via the Bill of Rigths. The degree to which we allow others to limit or reverse those rights depends on us. If we sit on our butts and continue to let the Rapture Right try to hijack our government, then I would say that it's probably a matter of time. If we educate ourselves, vote, and otherwise actively participate in our government ("by the people, for the people" and so on) then I would say we'll probably be ok.
QFE/QFT, well said.
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > fear of childhood indoctrination