lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Widescreen in Patched TSL...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #41
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^Now, why didn't I think of that?

Too many years spent using the "high resolution" movies, I guess.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #42
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Alright, after several hours of trying and retrying almost everything posted in this thread (and the links to other threads found herein), I'm giving up for the night.

I followed the installation instructions in EQ/AT's great thread, with a few exceptions:

1) I skipped the dll and exe downloads because I knew I was going to turn around and replace those with these and

2) When I right-clicked>removed Read-Only from the SWKotOR2 folder, the change did not stick (yes, I'm an admin)

I recently built a new system (Win7HP, EVGA GeForce GTX 560ti. Rest of new specs available if needed) and am in the process of loading the old games onto it.

The game will install. The game will launch. The game will play (I can get past character creation and into the tutorial). 1280x768 .ini hack works fine, however any attempt to use this tool will not work (i.e. can launch and play, however the viewable area is centered on the screen with a thick black border all around). Main Menu > Graphics Options > Screen Resolution gives nothing but standard settings. The patcher does not spit an error. I have double-checked my ini settings more times than I care to count.

Suggestions?

I'm comfortable with 1280x768 if that's all that's available to me, but I'd like to take full advantage of my 30-inch monitor if I can.

Thanks in advance.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #43
Q
The one who knocks

If you've removed the read-only properties from the game folder and everything in it, then, to the best of my knowledge, it worked, even if Windows 7 says that it hasn't. It does the same thing to me, but then TSLRCM installs perfectly, which it would not be able to do otherwise.

1) Are you trying to patch to 2560x1600?

2) If so, are you hacking the .ini to that res under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options]?

Oh, and my post in the Vista/7 installation thread is pretty much a rough draft and in dire need of a major overhaul.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #44
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
1) Are you trying to patch to 2560x1600?
No, I've bounce back and forth between 1440x900 and 1680x1050.

Quote:
) If so, are you hacking the .ini to that res under both [Display Options] and [Graphics Options]?
Yep. Even using copy and paste to ensure that I'm not fat-fingering something.

Quote:
Oh, and my post in the Vista/7 installation thread is pretty much a rough draft and in dire need of a major overhaul.
Still good info. Would've missed it entirely if not for this thread as it still only shows up at Vista from the forum

EDIT: FWIW, the copy of mss32.dll that you recommend is a couple of years older than the one included with the patch. In fact, the dll included there has the same date/time stamp as the default. I tried the patch with both dll files and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-11-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
No, I've bounce back and forth between 1440x900 and 1680x1050.
Are these listed among the supported resolutions in your driver control panel?

-Toker
Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 AM   #46
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Are these listed among the supported resolutions in your driver control panel?
The latter is, the former is not. Native is 2560x1600, but I run 1680x1050. NWN2 runs in 1680x1050 without issue (most of my patching attempts were this resolution also. I varied only for troubleshooting purposes).

There is a setting in the nVidia Control Panel under Adjust desktop size and position. "When using a resolution lower than my desktop's native resolution...". I currently have it set to Use NVIDIA scaling, however if I set it to Do Not Scale, Windows behaves exactly like KotOR2 (centered on the screen with thick borders on all sides).

These drivers were downloaded from the nVidia site less than 72 hours ago.

Also, not sure if this matters: my OS is 64-bit and the game is installed on the D:\ drive (separate from the OS).
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #47
Q
The one who knocks

Try the "use my display's scaling" (or somesuch) option and see if that works.

I think that the patcher is working fine and that it's a scaling problem.

-Toker
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #48
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

I have 4 options and that's the one that's greyed out

Hmmm...this appears to be a Win7 vs nVidia problem. Funny that I made the switch from ATI because I was tired of monkeying around with drivers for KotOR1. I feel like I just came full-circle or something.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-11-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #49
Q
The one who knocks

Greyed out?

OK, that's very odd. I've heard of (and experienced) the "use Nvidia scaling" option being broken, but not the reverse.

I'm trying to find out why this is happening. The patcher itself seems to be working. When you patch to different resolutions you're getting different sized screens, but with (different sized) borders, right?

-Toker
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM   #50
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Greyed out?
It's there but not selectable. The radio button cannot be filled.
Quote:
I'm trying to find out why this is happening. The patcher itself seems to be working. When you patch to different resolutions you're getting different sized screens, but with (different sized) borders, right?
Yes.I can see the resolutions changing and the borders change as well, but I cannot play the game in full screen (and I'm not in windowed mode).
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #51
Q
The one who knocks

It's definitely a scaling problem. I can't understand why the Nvidia drivers aren't letting your monitor do the scaling.

Try patching to 2560x1600 (don't forget the .ini). Other than the HUD, stuff will be small...

-Toker
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #52
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
It's definitely a scaling problem. I can't understand why the Nvidia drivers aren't letting your monitor do the scaling.
My read of things is that large monitors now mostly rely on the cards for scaling. Which certainly provides context for the problem.

Quote:
Try patching to 2560x1600 (don't forget the .ini). Other than the HUD, stuff will be small...
Oh my. That's gonna take some getting used to

It works though!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #53
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
My read of things is that large monitors now mostly rely on the cards for scaling. Which certainly provides context for the problem.
But your monitor is a 3007WFP-HC, right? It was Dell's top-of-the-line back then. It should have an excellent scaler.

Meaning = it should work. This is a driver problem; not a problem with your lovely monitor. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Oh my. That's gonna take some getting used to

It works though!
Good. I knew the patcher was working, at least.

In-game objects are probably small, except for the HUD, which is, most likely, large and ugly.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 04-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #54
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
But your monitor is a 3007WFP-HC, right? It was Dell's top-of-the-line back then. It should have an excellent scaler.

Meaning = it should work. This is a driver problem; not a problem with your lovely monitor. Really.
Yeah, that's still me.

Device manager sees it as a Generic PnP monitor, which would make sense as the Dell site has absolutely nothing useful for it for Win7. On a lark, I dug out the disc that came with it and ran the x64 install. No difference, so I pulled it off again.

Quote:
Good. I knew the patcher was working, at least.

In-game objects are probably small, except for the HUD, which is, most likely, large and ugly.
I'm used to large and ugly from running the 1280x768 res on my old card. The disproportion between object and font is almost comical though.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #55
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Update: So I ran the patch again but this time I went into the .ini file and I disabled fullscreen in both areas.

Interestingly, the game runs with the new resolutions. Unfortunately it does so in windowed mode (thought the window is the size of my display with the taskbar set to auto-hide). The GUI is off kilter a bit so you have to click low.

All-in-all, the difference between 1680x1050 and 1280x768 is not such that I'm willing tackle that learning curve, but I thought I would post this for others that are.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #56
Q
The one who knocks

Something just came to mind regarding your mondo monitor. Are you using a dual-link DVI cable? Check the connectors on the cable and make sure that it's got a single group of 24 pins and not 2 groups of 9.

Probably a dumb question, but you might be using a different cable with your new video card and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't the cause of your problem, however unlikely that may be.

Also, since you're playing TSL again, are you going to give TSLRCM a try?

-Toker
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #57
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Are you using a dual-link DVI cable? Check the connectors on the cable and make sure that it's got a single group of 24 pins and not 2 groups of 9.
Yep, the cable is marked dual-link and I disconnected the cable to count the pins.

Quote:
Probably a dumb question, but you might be using a different cable with your new video card and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't the cause of your problem, however unlikely that may be.
Heh, I hadn't thought about it but I've been using the same cable since I bought it.

Quote:
Also, since you're playing TSL again, are you going to give TSLRCM a try?
*shrugs* Most of the time, if I download someone else's stuff, I end up spending a whole lot of time tweaking it for my tastes. TSLRCM seems like a lot of content and I'm inclined to say "no" just because I don't want to create a whole bunch of work for myself (if nothing else, I'm sure I'd have to adjust a bunch of stuff just to make it compatible)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #58
Q
The one who knocks

Oh, just wondering if you'd tried it yet, because it's definitely worth a playthrough if you haven't.

It pretty much restores everything that TSLRP was going to restore; minus the Genoharadan, because there really wasn't enough of that quest to work with.

-Toker
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #59
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

I might have to do a vanilla run with only that installed just to see. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #60
darthbdaman
Rookie

Current Game: TSLRCM
I have followed all the instructions in the post and my game simply doesn't go to the new resolution. I run the patcher which says it works and in the .ini file I changed the resolution on both of them, but the game just keeps running in 800-600. I am trying to patch to 1680 by 1050. I am using windows 7 86 bit

█∭⊤ị▩ị⊤≣(Φ)█Ξ██████████████████████)
"No game of dejarik can be won without pawns, and this may prove to be a very long game."

Deadly Stream Profile

My Mods:
Jedi from the Start
darthbdaman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #61
Q
The one who knocks

1) Are you using the included, unmentionable file that comes with the patcher? It won't work on the original.

2) Did you install the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread?

-Toker
Old 04-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #62
darthbdaman
Rookie

what unmentionable file

and yes I did

"No game of dejarik can be won without pawns, and this may prove to be a very long game."

Deadly Stream Profile

My Mods:
Jedi from the Start
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #63
Q
The one who knocks

The swkotor2.exe that came with the patcher.

-Toker
Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #64
darthbdaman
Rookie

yes

Deadly Stream Profile

My Mods:
Jedi from the Start
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #65
Q
The one who knocks

Odd.

I have never had a problem getting that patcher to work. Are you running it as an administrator?

-Toker
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #66
Orlom
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbdaman View Post
I have followed all the instructions in the post and my game simply doesn't go to the new resolution. I run the patcher which says it works and in the .ini file I changed the resolution on both of them, but the game just keeps running in 800-600. I am trying to patch to 1680 by 1050. I am using windows 7 86 bit
I'm having this same issue except mines 64 bit. I tried patching to another resolution but it didn't work either. I've followed all the instructions step by step and tried it again with a fresh install. It just doesn't want to work for some reason.

Is the patcher supposed to take some time? As soon as I hit patch it instantly comes up saying it's been patched to 1680x1050. Doesn't seem like it did anything.
Orlom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #67
Q
The one who knocks

The way to tell is if the patcher is spitting out a swkotor2.bak file when you run it.

-Toker
Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #68
Orlom
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
The way to tell is if the patcher is spitting out a swkotor2.bak file when you run it.
It's giving me that file so the patcher must be working. I must be doing something wrong, can't figure out what though.
Orlom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #69
Crixler
Rookie

Current Game: AoEO, Portal 2, TSL
Regarding the mini-map fix, there's no 5:4 version. My monitor is 1440x900 (5:4), should I use whichever one is closest to 5:4, or would that not be close enough, meaning I should just disable the mini-map?

Crixler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #70
Q
The one who knocks

1440x900 is 16:10.

-Toker
Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #71
Crixler
Rookie

Oh, you're right. Nevermind, I'm not sure where I got that it was 5:4.
Thanks!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #72
Q
The one who knocks

We all go into derp mode at one time or another.

-Toker
Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #73
Crixler
Rookie

I've got another question about this. Is it typical for the mouse to no longer align correctly with buttons? The top right menu is unclickable, and any other buttons I have to have the mouse in completely different places in order to click them. Is there any way to fix this?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #74
Sith'ari
Lurker

File size plummeted? Is that OK? v1b?

Hello there people. I hope you guys get this message considering this is about one year on lol!

I've been searching around for a widescreen fix for SWKOTOR II and I came across this thread, but unfortunately the link for the patcher was dead. But that's not a problem as I downloaded it from another source

Why I'm actually posting on this is thus: I have noticed that the .exe file of SWKOTOR2 in the folder with the patcher is only 4472KB, but my original file (v1b) is 13480KB. Naturally this concerns me a bit so do you know if this patch was meant for v1b? And if it was then is it ok that I have lost about 9MB from the .exe file?

EDIT: I seem to be encountering a blank screen when I partake in a Swoop Race. Has this happened to anyone else? And does anyone know a fix please?

EDIT 2: I have just found out that there is a mod called The Sith Lords Restored Content. Does anyone know if this mod uses 100% official content? I.e. The layout of rooms is what was intended originally by Obsidian etc? (And other base level details such as that).

Thanks

Last edited by Sith'ari; 09-03-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #75
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

1. I am going to assume... don't use that .exe
2. Yes.
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #76
Q
The one who knocks

After endorsing this mod for years, I've come to same conclusion.

I don't use it anymore, nor do I recommend it.

-Toker
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #77
Sith'ari
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
After endorsing this mod for years, I've come to same conclusion.

I don't use it anymore, nor do I recommend it.
Is that the restoration mod you speak of?

And I'm still having a spot of bother in getting the latest version to work in widescreen :S I've been using the 4mb exe file but I think it's an older version because when I start a swoop race my swoop bike hovers in the air :S Apparently that was a bug in an older version.

If someone has the codes for the Sq1zZy Universal Patcher for SWKOTOR II I could give that a go?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #78
Q
The one who knocks

I'm talking about the widescreen mod for TSL.

It requires a cracked .exe, and there are none that have been properly patched to 1.0b, so it doesn't have any of the fixes that the patched .exe does, including the swoop racing fixes.

-Toker
Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #79
Sith'ari
Lurker

Ah right ok. If I do use the cracked exe file will I be loosing out on critical fixes do you know?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #80
Q
The one who knocks

I'm pretty sure that's what I just said, unless you don't consider swoop racing critical. There are other important fixes in there as well. Besides, TSLRCM requires 1.0b, and I definitely consider that critical.

By the way, TSL supports 1280x768 natively. All you have to do is change the values in the .ini file as discussed previously in this thread, then let either your GPU or monitor scale it up from there.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > Widescreen in Patched TSL...