lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dragon Age 2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #81
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

The world of Dragon Age is loosely inspired by Medieval Europe.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #82
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
This sounds far less impressive when you remember that Kirkwall is the capital of Orkney, a small archipelago just north of Scotland.
He's is the HIGHLANDER!!! :|

Anyways, still funny. In the first DA you are the most epic hero on the face of the earth. Basher of Blights, King of the Keep, casually slaying Dragons on your path.
And this guy....he has a lot to do to live up with his predecessor.

By the way, that little kid that was looking for his mother in Lothering...the mother who was killed? Was he ever named? Because that little quest-chain is still on my mind...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #83
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Current Game: Skyrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
By the way, that little kid that was looking for his mother in Lothering...the mother who was killed? Was he ever named? Because that little quest-chain is still on my mind...
That is kind of a neat idea. Although, supposedly Hawke can be male or female, so I guess the little redheaded boy won't quite work.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade
Laar_Dha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #84
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I haven't seen it myself, but apparently the Game Informer article confirms that DA2 does indeed use the ME dialogue wheel. Interestingly, it also says that DA2 imports a DA1 save, the same as ME2 did with ME1 saves. I gather the effect will be about the same - just a couple of lines of differing dialogue for most things, with maybe a bit more emphasis on major decisions. Oh, and Flemeth puts in an appearance supposedly.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 07-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #85
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Yes but it's rather like saying that your character is 'the Champion of Tunbridge Wells' .

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #86
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Some more bits of info on the dialog system - it will use the dialog wheel and paraphrases, but apparently each choice will also have an emotion icon to go along with it (something along the lines of flirty, angry, serious...). Also, according to David Gaider, one of the writers, they "won't use the exact same system as they did in Awakening" (source), which could unfortunately mean they haven't dumped that concept entirely.

On another note, when asked about returning characters, the answer from David Gaider was "You might recognize a few faces, yes."

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #87
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I like Mass Effect's dialogue wheel and player character voice overs. It makes for a more cinematic experience. Plus, it would be redundant reading exact words and then having the player character say what you just read.

All this talk of importing charcters is going to make me replay DA:O. Maybe that's the idea? Pretty darn devious of them.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #88
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Current Game: Skyrim
I really hoped they wouldn't go with the dialog wheel and voiced character. I really disliked it in Mass Effect: enough that I've never finished the game. I prefer the voice in my head. The voiced character may indeed be more cinematic, but I find it pushes me into the role of viewer instead of character.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade
Laar_Dha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #89
igyman
Tension!

I don't mind the voiced character, unless it limits dialogs and dialog choices. As for the wheel, it worked well for Mass Effect, but I'm not so sure it is an improvement over the classic dialog system and thus I don't think it will improve the gameplay of Dragon Age, but still I'll wait for more information and perhaps even some clips before I decide one way or the other.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #90
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think the biggest problem with VO for DA2 is what you have to give up for it. Namely, the option of playing as a non-human race because of the costs associated with recording all the extra dialogue. It's OK in ME because that was how it was from the start, but with DA2 it is a step backwards from DA1. Although perhaps that shouldn't be overly surprising given that ME2 was, in many respects, a step back from ME1.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #91
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Namely, the option of playing as a non-human race because of the costs associated with recording all the extra dialogue.
Wonder if you can still choose a voice set for your character, like you can for combat shouts etc in Ðragon Age (1), and if the voice-overs will use that voice... or if there is only one male and one female voice set in the game?

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #92
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
Wonder if you can still choose a voice set for your character, like you can for combat shouts etc in Ðragon Age (1), and if the voice-overs will use that voice... or if there is only one male and one female voice set in the game?
I think that would be far too expensive for a feature that can be omitted without worries. I really liked how in ME2 Shephard's voice became radio-ey when he spoke through a full helmet (don't remember if that happened in ME).

It'd be nice if speaking through a full plate helmet in DA2 made you sounds more metallickish.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #93
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I think the biggest problem with VO for DA2 is what you have to give up for it. Namely, the option of playing as a non-human race because of the costs associated with recording all the extra dialogue. It's OK in ME because that was how it was from the start, but with DA2 it is a step backwards from DA1. Although perhaps that shouldn't be overly surprising given that ME2 was, in many respects, a step back from ME1.
I really hope that's not what they've got planned. They're two completely different types of games (even if BioWare likes to call them both RPGs, they couldn't be much more different).

I don't like what i've been hearing so far - it sounds like they're trying to make Dragon Age into Mass Effect.

Quote:
I think that would be far too expensive for a feature that can be omitted without worries. I really liked how in ME2 Shephard's voice became radio-ey when he spoke through a full helmet (don't remember if that happened in ME).

It'd be nice if speaking through a full plate helmet in DA2 made you sounds more metallickish.
I hope that we won't be forced into wearing full suits with permanent helmets (a la Mass Effect 2).

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #94
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I hope that we won't be forced into wearing full suits with permanent helmets (a la Mass Effect 2).
I'd rather wear a helmet. Not only is it cooler, but then it reminds me less of the horribly weird looking character I've created. >_>

Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #95
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
This is true. I have a pet Dragon named Snibbles. And I take my Zweihänder to school every now and then to bash some punks

Quote:
I hope that we won't be forced nto wearing full suits with permanent helmets (a la Mass Effect 2).
DA:O had that Warden Commander armor if I remember correctly. It didn't require a helmet.
And I've read online that going after set bonusses is sometimes worse then simply buying 'loose' equipment. I recall the best Rogue armor is Ferlon's coat, which isn't part of a set.

I did dislike the helmet thing in ME:2. It kinda makes all the cool customising options for the PC face quite useless.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #96
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I've only worn a helmet when there is no air or poison air in ME2. Of course, that means I wore the default armor, but with the customization of that armor I did not find it that much of a problem.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #97
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
So it does take place in the same era as the first game. Weird, since a lot of people were blabbering that it will take place at a different time altogether. The rest of the stuff sounds too much like Fable to me, though.
Exactly what i thought... Im actually kinda hoping that the combat will be real time button smashing instead of what it is in DAO for some reason.

BTW to the people amazed by the fact that the main character has a set surname, so did your character in DAO. The human noble is a Cousland, cannot remember the others but they definetely have surnames.

Somehow all this feels like the beginning of the end for bioware...

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #98
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside View Post
Somehow all this feels like the beginning of the end for bioware...
Yea, two best selling game franchises at the same time for one developer sure sounds like the end is coming to me.

I look at as the beginnings of the end for what we have defined as RPGs. RPGs are being dumb down in an attempt to appeal to a larger segment of the gaming market and unfortunately it seems to be working. Less reading, less worrying about skills, upgrades… blagh less thinking, but more sales. Can’t blame a developer for wanting to make money, but it still does not make me like it.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #99
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Yea, two best selling game franchises at the same time for one developer sure sounds like the end is coming to me.

I look at as the beginnings of the end for what we have defined as RPGs. RPGs are being dumb down in an attempt to appeal to a larger segment of the gaming market and unfortunately it seems to be working. Less reading, less worrying about skills, upgrades… blagh less thinking, but more sales. Can’t blame a developer for wanting to make money, but it still does not make me like it.
Which is quite ironic in this case, because DA was to be the spiritual succesor to Baldurs Gate...a hard-core RPG.
The way Mass Effect 2 was tone down...they made a shooter out of it. It has no connection to the old RPG-ing whatsoever. Only small, nowadays standard, RPG elements are there....

Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #100
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside View Post
The human noble is a Cousland, cannot remember the others but they definetely have surnames.
Dwarf Noble: Aeducan
Dwarf Commoner: Brosca
Dalish Elf: Mahariel
City Elf: Tabris
Elf Mage: Surana
Human Mage: Amell

To me the surname thing isn't a big deal. It's a useful ploy to allow NPCs to actually call you by your name (although it wasn't taken advantage of to any great extent in DA1 - you were invariably just referred to as "Warden"). I just don't like the whole PC VO path and the inherent limitations it brings.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 07-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #101
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Some screenshots are up on the Game Informer site - http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...reenshots.aspx

There seems to be a hilarious number of posts on the Bioware site stressing that these are "pre-alpha" shots and that they will improve before launch. Ah the naivety of youth. For a game that's due on the shelves in 8 months, that's your lot right there. Which of course begs the question, where is this supposed graphical upgrade they announced? Maybe they were referring to how they made the Darkspawn designs look worse than DA1? I can only assume they are suffering from some sort of malady because they look bloody horrible.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #102
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Ah, the wonders of adopting an art style that goes against the principles of your first game.

The screenshots look like they were made by Obsidian.

Edit: According to BioWare's Mary Kirby (which is a pretty cute name to have):

I haven't played Alpha Protocol yet,
so I can't compare the DA2 system with theirs. However, it looks like
you've got the gist of the new system. You have a wheel like Mass
Effect's, and when you move over a selection, you get an icon in the
center of the wheel that indicates the intent of the player line:
Flirty, violent, sarcastic, etc.

So dialogue wheel yes, full dialogue no, icons yes.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 07-13-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #103
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
The screenshots look like they were made by Obsidian.
You're selling Obsidian short.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #104
Revan 411
Forumite

Show spoiler

That, in my opinion, has got to be one of the worst designs I've ever seen. And I'm referring to the Orc by the way.

I honestly think the graphics (judging from those screen-shots) are a big step backwards from the original Dragon Age. Which is surprising, considering the fact that the original Dragon Age had horribly outdated textures.

Last edited by Revan 411; 07-13-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #105
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Those screenshots really do look hideous.

Based on those 'pre-alpha' shots, and what i've heard/read so far, I don't think i'll be rushing out to buy it.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #106
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Those screenshots really do look hideous.
I don't know. If they apply some bloom effects, further desaturate the colour-scheme, and wipe a layer of mud across the screen it'll probably be lauded by critics as being gritty (and or mature) and breath-takingly realistic.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #107
igyman
Tension!

Damn! The screens look like a horribly failed attempt at creating a photorealistic world and characters. They seriously need to rethink their design choices, if they are to have any hope of selling this game.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #108
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post

I mean the way they push out s**t, mass effect the movie etc. and forget their most most loyal fans: the forum mingling no life hc-nerds who always complain about their work but still buy them. One day they will alienate us completely, and we wont buy the games they put out, and if the geeks wont buy their games no one else will either.

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #109
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I'm referring to the Orc
Darkspawn. There are no orcs in the DA universe.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #110
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Darkspawn. There are no orcs in the DA universe.
Bull****. Next you'll be telling me there was no Roman Empire, Jedi Order, Smaug, Catholic Church, Inquisitions, England or France in the Dragon Age universe.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #111
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well you could argue that they are Tolkien-esque sort of Orcs, which were made from Elves by Melkor/Morgoth, as opposed to D&D or Warhammer style Orcs which they are definitely not. Originality is a pretty rare commodity these days.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #112
jrrtoken

This pretty much somes up my feelings about DA2.

Concerning the graphics, I could really care less, but what I do expect is somewhat decent art direction and design, which, frankly, wasn't exactly the best card in DA's hand. Then again, it's supposed to be a Tolkeinesque fantasy romp, so maybe I'm just missing the point, or something. Anyway, since is apathy is death, I'll say that the graphics look like a NWN2 module, but only with more shaders applied to every mesh... and that's not exactly a criticism.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #113
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastramiX View Post
This pretty much somes up my feelings about DA2.
Interesting that DA sold more than ME. I wouldn't have picked that at all. That makes the apparent direction of DA2 even more mystifying, as for all the dev's posts about "artistic vision" and all that crap, it seemed to be a pretty clear cut case of going for a more popular mainstream approach in an attempt to rake in more cash. You'd think they'd stick with a proven approach if DA did so well.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #114
SW01
3 Years in the Lurk

Current Game: Real Life
As I posted over there (and immediately got savaged for not following the party line of 'pre-alpha'), if this is the art direction Bio is following for DA2, it's a huge issue in my opinion when it comes to purchase. I had no issue at all with the DA graphics, but this is a distinct step backwards in terms of quality, imo.
SW01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #115
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah the pre-alpha thing is hilarious. I have no idea where that notion came from. 8 months out from release they will likely be going into final crunch, if they haven't already done so.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #116
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.
Updated graphics.... where..?

If it is indeed post alpha (which it should be) what are they running it on?

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #117
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Oh....those graphics are....bad.

Visual style is one thing, but this makes it look, quit honestly, like a PSP, Ipone app game? It's hidious!

I HOPE this is a screen without any Anti Aliasing, bloom and and a low resolution. Otherwise, like Astor said, this is canceling my 'blind purchase.' Bioware normally gets from me.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #118
jrrtoken

*In 2011... just when everyone thought that BioWare, the acclaimed creators of Mass Effect 2, couldn't streamline any further... they do. This time, it's graphical.*

Quote:
BioWare has whittled Dragon Age 2 conversation choices down to three.

"Good" responses will be earmarked with an olive branch, "nasty" answers by a Greek comedy mask and "badass" by a red fist, according to IGN.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #119
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Not a fan of the dialogue change. In a game that is supposed to be deep and compelling, it seems there would be things to say that don't fit into one of those categories. Pretty much nothing they have revealed about DA2 has excited me, in fact it's done the opposite.

Also, I know people don't think that much of DA:O's graphics, but I thought they were fine (though could have used less random blood spatter). So I'd much rather have those graphics than what we've seen so far. Though maybe people complaining about DA:O's graphics played it on console where it looked like ****.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #120
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The devs say over on the official forums said that the limit of 3 options was just in the demo they are showing and that, like ME, the wheel can accommodate up to 6 choices in a single screen, with the option of paging through multiple screens if needs be.

To me the wheel interface itself isn't the problem, it's the overall shift in direction they appear to be taking. Everything I see from the devs just reminds me of the Lucas "faster, more intense" mantra.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Dragon Age 2