lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: MI Music likenesses
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
xgfx
Rookie

MI Music likenesses

I was wondering whether anyone has spotted any music that may have influenced Monkey Island? Over the last year or two I've accidently found some, that I believe to be fairly possible inspirations due to

a) both bands being influenced by Caribbean style music
b) both pre-date MI

Annoying thing is, even though they remind me of MI, i cannot pinpoint which exact parts of the soundtrack.

Here's a Spotify playlist I created so you can listen to the songs for free. (EU only I believe): http://open.spotify.com/user/xgfx/pl...AtL9LW9nkCoQsu

Otherwise the songs are as follows:

Madness - Grey day : I think this song reminds me of Melee forest theme, I can't quite put my finger on it though. (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/MI1-CD/1...9%20Forest.mp3)
The Police - Walking on the moon : unsure which this reminds me of, think it's just the rhythm more than anything.
The Police : Wrapped Around Your Finger - this one just reminds me of some of the effects used in the backgrounds of the music rather than a song itself. I think it's the Monkey Island background music.
xgfx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Monkey Mania

I believe you are referring to reggae music.
View page
YouTube Video
View page
YouTube Video
View page
YouTube Video

Last edited by Monkey Mania; 04-28-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
xgfx
Rookie

I am, indeed referring to Reggae music. I'm a Rasta like that.
xgfx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Monkey Mania

And that's why it reminds you of Monkey Island, because Monkey Island has reggae music.

If there were any real "influence", it would probably be Bob Marley. Just look at Elaine's last name.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I don't think Bob Marley had any real influence on the music, it certainly doesn't sound like any of his music. I would guess they named Elaine Marley separately to the music being composed (just a guess).

I can hear the influences in the music linked, though... Nothing too strong, but similar moments. Probably the "reggae-ness" that Monkey Mania mentioned more than anything.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Gabez

I'd never actually thought about the ragge influrence in the MI music before...

Madness - Grey Day makes me think of the LeChuck theme more, but the rythm of The Police makes me think of the Melee Island music (but it's probably just the reggae influrence).

On a slightly different (but related) topic: J. Geil Band's "Monkey Island." Ah yes, now there was a song.

Alltogether now: "THERE AINT NO LIFE ON MOOOOOOONKEY IIIIISLAND!"
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

I just have to get this out of the way first - the youtube video interface just changed before my eyes as I went from one video to the other... I feel like I've witnessed a MAJOR EVENT

Anyway, Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder always reminded me of Monkey Island.

Edit: It just changed back. At the risk of being disgustingly off-topic, here's a screenshot:

Show spoiler

Ahem, anyway. Yeah, MI has a lot of reggae music. I think it's because it's set in the Caribbean. >.>
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
If any popular music influenced Monkey Island it's probably something like the Grateful Dead.
Jake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I remember Land talking about the Grateful Dead. I'm a big fan, but I've not heard anything specific that sounded Monkey Islandy to me. Of course, you could spend your whole life listening to the Dead and still not hear everything they recorded... There's also (as my infamous post once included) The 13th Floor Elevators.

Not to mention the Finntroll song that was explicitly based on musical cues from Escape From Monkey Island.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > MI Music likenesses