Thread: Why I won't be playing TOR.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #81
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
I get that they need to attract as many people as possible. But as far as I know, the same was true for KotOR. And KotOR, while having very recognizable elements from Star Wars in it, was far more subtle than TOR seems to be. Besides, attracting Star Wars fans, whether they played KotOR or not, is as easy as showing lightsabers and having the pew pew pew sound. Combine that with BioWare's reputation, I'm sure they've got a lot of Star Wars fans in the bag, so making the game more unique, in my opinion, wouldn't have been a risk.

Convincing the Star Wars fans never was the main obstacle, I think, rather convincing the MMO fans is. At a time where developers start to experiment with the MMO genre and games like Guild Wars 2 crop up, it's hard to defend the traditional road BioWare is taking. The question is: will the Star Wars brand and the storyline(s) be enough to warrant the MMO players' backing?

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #82
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
A solid point about KOTOR Miltiades and I think they Jedi thing is probably what drew people to KOTOR and will indeed by the thing that draws many SW fans to TOR.

As far as MMO players go..I think the biggest thing they have to overcome is Star Wars Galaxies and the way Sony $%*#@$ that up. Hopefully they will realize that Bioware is NOT SOE.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #83
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post

As far as MMO players go..I think the biggest thing they have to overcome is Star Wars Galaxies and the way Sony $%*#@$ that up. Hopefully they will realize that Bioware is NOT SOE.
^^ This ^^

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #84
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
@ Miltiades:
It's not as subtle as I had hoped no. The fighters and stuff just resemble the OT stuff a little too much. Kotor distanced itself a bit more.
If you look at the Tales of the Jedi comics though, that's a giant leap away.

In some way, we all want a naughty astromech droid, crew ship, bitchy princess, overpowered hairy alien and lightsaber and/or blaster....

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #85
dswtor
Rookie

im liken where the games going with this space combat...

dswtor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #86
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Why?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #87
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Why?
C-mon Prime. Everyone likes 90's on-rails shooters...wait. No. No-one does. Bah.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #88
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Looks like I'll be avoiding the space content... I'll wait until there's something in it that actually gives a reason it's online instead of what could be a downloadable demo. It's that kind of game that's fun for a bit, but after a while after repeating it got old. Like the Star Wars arcade game. I used to play that before movies... I certainly wouldn't have played it for much longer than wasting time before the movie starts. After beating it one time, it just feels like boring repetition.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #89
Lord Foley

The rail-shooting in TOR cannot be worse than the space combat in KotOR. What a cheap pain in the ass that always was. Not interesting, not hard, not fun. TOR space combat reminds me a lot of that, except that it looks aesthetically pleasing. I'll take it for what it is.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #90
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Just watched this video:
http://swtor.com/media/trailers/warzones

After seeing that I probably won't be playing the game too much.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #91
RogueJedi86

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
10 year veteran! 
Has the stuff on flashpoints and operations helped people's opinions? We've finally been seeing the MMO part of MMORPG for TOR.

"Sir,we are beginning our search for these rumored 'underwater villages'.They will not stay hidden for long". -Battle Droid Commander OOM-9!
RogueJedi86 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #92
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #93
Scars Unseen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Imo, The Force Unleashed is a collection of forced clichés in a canon-raping story. It's a good game, don't get me wrong. But it has nothing the old trilogy has. I don't think it gets much love from the first-hour fans. I mean....cloning, Vader, Yoda, reverse-grip lightsaber...it's an explosion of nerdgasm.
Swtor is trying to create a setting based on the movies and is much more subtle in doing so. It's using the movies as inspiration, not using everything IN the movies.

It is over-the-top epic though, have to give you that. But we haven't seen the lv 60 powers from ToR either...
I think I am on the opposite side of the coin from your opinion. I think that TFU's story itself(haven't played the sequel) was serviceable enough given that a lot of the time between RotS and ANH is unknown, but the gameplay was utter crap. They ballooned the force powers up to the point where they were barely recognizable while simultaneously using an arcade beat-em-up model that made the lightsaber look only slightly less effective than the baseball bat in Double Dragon. Throw in the stupid QT finishers that I found annoying enough in God of War, and I quickly realized that the only thing that kept me playing the game was the story. Definitely glad I waited for the game to hit the bargain bins.

But at least TFU had a good reason for ripping off the aesthetic of the movies. It took place in the same era. SWTOR has no such excuse. So while the stylized graphics doesn't bother me as much as it does the OP(though still not my preference), the lazy choice to rip off the movies rather than come up with their own aesthetic (which they had already developed in KOTOR!) does. Does it bother me enough to prevent me from buying the game? Perhaps not on its own, but it does act as a bit of a warning sign that SWTOR might not be the kind of game I'm interested in. So I'm taking a wait and see stance at the moment.

EDIT: annnnd I just realized that I only looked at the month of that post and not the year. Aren't my cheeks red.
Scars Unseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #94
Master Finch
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II / RB2
Interesting. I understand what you're saying about the graphics, but, they will no doubt grow on you. I was a bit iffy about The Clone Wars at first, and I get a bit iffy about lightsabers not being able to cut through stuff. But I adapted and I made excuses for that (cortosis, etc.) and realistically, you shouldn't moan about this stuff before you've actually given the game a try.

It's not all about the graphics, it's about the content. I've played games like WoW which involves repeatedly spining around in circles hitting someone 82 times in the face with a battleaxe and they still won't die, whilst listening to 200 different sound effects from other players until the opponent finally submits to the 9,000 cuts and bruises he's sustained and keels over, dead.

With the combat, I think it looks pretty good. I know a lot of people don't really like how high-tech some of the equipment people are using is, but you have to remember that this is set 4,000 years before Star Wars IV. That's 4,000 years before The Phantom Menace if you round it up, so it's a completely alien time to the Star Wars we now know, and some of this tech might've vanished.

Like in Halo: Reach for example. They had amazing technology and upgrades and stuff, but it all went with time.

I think the main thing really is this:

Don't bitch until you've played it.

Last edited by Master Finch; 08-22-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Master Finch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #95
Klw
Rookie

I won't be playing it because it's an MMO. Have you ever heard of the "WoW Freakout Kid?" I have no doubt that I would turn into that kid if I ever picked up an MMO. I can get extremely addicted to much less immersive games like turn-based rpg's and rts's, all single-player even. The only games I will even touch nowadays are single-player story adventure games like TFU that actually end at some point. The less replayability the better. If this game were like TFU I would be drooling over it.
Klw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #96
Master Finch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
I won't be playing it because it's an MMO. Have you ever heard of the "WoW Freakout Kid?" I have no doubt that I would turn into that kid if I ever picked up an MMO. I can get extremely addicted to much less immersive games like turn-based rpg's and rts's, all single-player even. The only games I will even touch nowadays are single-player story adventure games like TFU that actually end at some point. The less replayability the better. If this game were like TFU I would be drooling over it.
But World of Warcraft MAKES you addicted. It DEMANDS all your time to be able to play it. I don't think SW:TOR will be like that.

If you wish peace, prepare for war.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #97
RogueJedi86

10 year veteran! 
Klw, the WoW Freakout Kid was faking it. WoW doesn't turn you into a moron. If you act like that you already had problems before that. Don't think that kid is indicative of how MMO players are or what MMOs can do to you.

I'm sure I could make unfair assessments on non-MMO players too. Like Kroyt's Rage for FPS players(warning, salty language, as expected for a video of FPS players): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG42S_PmRs4

"Sir,we are beginning our search for these rumored 'underwater villages'.They will not stay hidden for long". -Battle Droid Commander OOM-9!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #98
Klw
Rookie

1. I insulted you by admitting that I have a tendency to get addicted to video games? If anything, I insulted myself. I never made a single "assessment" about other gamers in my entire post. The only generalization that I made is that MMO's are addictive. I stand by that statement.

2. MMO addiction is real for many players. I can come up with many more examples, including scholarly ones. In fact, I know a kid who got addicted to WoW and had to recover. I also knew a kid who was addicted to Halo. Here is some quick data: http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedai..._addictive.php

3. I don't play FPS's either, mostly because I'm terrible at them but also because I know that they are also addictive.

It is my opinion that MMO's are dangerous and can have evil consequences if you take them too far. It is also my opinion that certain types of video games, like MMO's, are more addictive than others. But that doesn't mean that I think that all WoW players are "morons." Above I was simply answering the OP's request for reasons "why I won't be playing TOR." I won't be playing it because I have a past history of video game addiction.Now I will leave this forum and go back to the TFU forum if you don't mind.

Last edited by Klw; 08-26-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #99
RogueJedi86

10 year veteran! 
Everything has evil consequences if you take it too far. Even eating can have bad consequences if you overdo it, resulting in clogged arteries and heart attacks and heart disease. But you don't starve yourself to avoid such problems. The same applies to addictions of any sort. There's no such thing as a good addiction, that's why the word has such bad connotations these days. You name it, there's someone out there addicted to it. There's even people addicted to random things like growing their fingernails to lengths that render them unable to do anything with their hands.

My assessment remark was, like the rest of my post, focusing solely on the WoW Freakout Kid. I was saying few MMO players are like that if any, and that everything has a few freaks like that, including FPS games(hence my linked Croyt's Anger). I feel fairly sure the WoW Freakout Kid was proven fake. Sticking a remote in his butt? Come on.

I imagine TOR will be easier to not fall into the deep end on since each class has a storyline. You have obvious breaks at the end of each act(of which each class has 3) and at the end of each class' entire story.

Don't run off, you're welcome here. We're just having a spirited debate is all.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 AM   #100
Klw
Rookie

I'm not so sure that the WoW Freakout Kid was proven to be a fake, but I'd welcome a link that proves it. People do strange things when they are in a fit of rage. They grab the nearest object and try to destroy it or use it to destroy themselves. If that was acting then it was certainly very good acting.

I don't think we are really having a debate because all you are doing is attacking straw men with red herrings. I don't disagree with any points you've made and you don't disagree with any points I've made. No need to get spirited about anything.

Now back to the main topic: You may be right that TOR is different, but I'm not willing to risk addiction to it to find out.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #101
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw View Post
The only generalization that I made is that MMO's are addictive. I stand by that statement.
They are no more addictive than any other type of game.

Quote:
2. MMO addiction is real for many players. I can come up with many more examples, including scholarly ones. In fact, I know a kid who got addicted to WoW and had to recover. I also knew a kid who was addicted to Halo. Here is some quick data: http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedai..._addictive.php
That study even admits that the results are far from conclusive. More so, it fails to take into account the fact that responsibility lies with the player. It's all well and good blaming the game, or the publisher, or whatever else, but ultimately the decision to start/stop playing lies with the player.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #102
Klw
Rookie

I've heard this same argument from Republicans arguing against gun control. "Guns don't kill people; people kill people." It's just a play on words. In reality, guns make it much easier. In the same way, games which are designed never to end make video game addiction much more likely than games which do end.

Addiction is caused by the "reward" psychology. Rewards "reinforce" certain types of behavior. MMO's are designed to keep you hooked by constantly holding the carrot out in front of you. There is always another reward waiting for you if you play a little longer. You don't just play it; you subscribe to it.

They don't prove addicting to everybody because not everyone has the same tastes in video games. You might find WoW quests boring, for instance, so that you stop playing it. It's because you are not getting a psychological reward for such behavior. For other people, though, playing WoW is like a drug.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #103
RogueJedi86

10 year veteran! 
TOR does have a more firm end though. Your class storyline exists and it does end. Other MMOs don't have such a clean cut end, but TOR does. You can keep playing after, but your storyline had a firm end for you to quit if you want to find an end.

Congrats on 100 posts.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #104
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
I, personally, am done with stories set in the timeline most of us grew up loving. That whole era has been milked out, whether it's in games, novels, comics or tv series, and none of it ever came close to the quality of the original trilogy.
This.

Quote:
I'm glad some people are steering away from this era, though not everyone is using that freedom to its full capacity. SWTOR is more than 3,000 years before the movies, but it still tries to connect as much as possible to the movies and in my opinion, actually not in a subtle way. Tie Fighters, Clone Troopers, Boba Fett, Moffs, Hoth, these are some of the results of the movies "inspiring" SWTOR.
It also doesn't help that the first star destroyers were made by this resurgent sith empire. Or that the padawan's voice sounds just like the guy who did Anakin's voice for the CGI CW show. Some people like it and that's fine but I'm on the same train as you when it comes to hoping for just a bit more originality in some of these aspects. A nod here and a wink there are fine but more it is done the more it screams 'rehash'.

Quote:
I don't agree on SWTOR being better had they adapted a more action-y gameplay à la The Force Unleashed. I have only played a bit of TFU, but there's hardly much depth in its gameplay, something that I think is needed for games in the MMO genre. And I'm not pro-over the top gameplay, myself. Agreed, it's disappointing that SWTOR isn't trying to innovate when it comes to MMO gameplay (and keeps hiding behind the "story pillar" as if that was the one thing that was missing from MMO's) and it's precisely that aspect that will make or break the game, no matter how much effort they put into their storytelling. But I still prefer traditional MMO gameplay over TFU-based gameplay.
I don't have sufficient experience with MMO's to be able to support or refute this--just like 15 minutes with everquest almost 10 years ago.

I do see them maybe trying to include an element of TFU in there, though, but that would be speculative on my part.

So far as storyline, they probably have just made it more structured and less customizable than other MMO's. You "can't get away" from the storyline apparently. You might be able to go to Mos Eisley and have a bar fight for $***s and giggles or go ride a junk transport railcar on Ord Mantell for teh lulz I hope (Shadows of the empire).

No mounting a speeder bike, swoop, or animal backs or so I hear. I would have loved to get ahold of a bantha after slaughtering a bunch of sand people. Tauntauns, banthas, those feathery headed dog yelp sounding giant lizzards on utapau, tame one of those humongous tusked ape creatures, getting packs of womprats to sick on thieving gangsters.

This takes the fun out of exploring the wilds. Well most of it anyways.

I think I might ***eventually*** play.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #105
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klw
The only generalization that I made is that MMO's are addictive. I stand by that statement.
Addictive? no/maybe, promote investment in your character and hard work? very much.

If you have an addictive personality then thats a Psy.D's problem.

The character is you, you make the choices, earn the credits, decide how you look, join groups, make friends. I understand its harder to walk away from than say TFU, but addiction is a strong word.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #106
poseidon
Lurker

I wont be playing it due to the fees i don't have the spare money for that at the moment plus i would be paying like 50 something for the game and what 15 or so a month just to play,don't get me wrong it look good and i play mmos like dungeon fighter online maplestory etc, but some demand allot of money which is why i'm not getting it.
poseidon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #107
Deft Aklin
Retired Dark Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
Okay, so... I tried reading all of these posts, but it seems what I read everyone missed the true core reason why they use cartoon style graphics; It's so we can have millions of players. The general reason they tone down the graphics in this manner is to allow more computers and particularly older GPUs to play the game. This for an MMO can be life or death as the more people that can play the game creates a larger audience for the game to begin with.

Minister of Propaganda - The Endbringers
Formerly Deft Aklin - Regent of Dark Sovereignty/The Endbringers of Starsider
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy’s not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him;
Not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.” –The Art of War, Sun Tzu

wevegotcookies.com
Deft Aklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #108
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Aklin View Post
Okay, so... I tried reading all of these posts, but it seems what I read everyone missed the true core reason why they use cartoon style graphics; It's so we can have millions of players. The general reason they tone down the graphics in this manner is to allow more computers and particularly older GPUs to play the game. This for an MMO can be life or death as the more people that can play the game creates a larger audience for the game to begin with.
The "official" reason is to give the game a unique look. But you're right, the true reason is allowing for a bigger player base. Of course, it doesn't mean it completely succeeds in the graphics department. Guild Wars 2 seems to pull off an art style much better than TOR does, in my opinion, and as far as I know, it aspires to be able to be played by older PC's as well.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #109
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I don't mind lower level graphics. Hell, I'd be pleased as punch with KOTOR/TSL graphics. It's just some of the art design that bugs me. I'm just not big on the Sith-as-maniacal-wizards-in-over-the-top-outfits and so on. Even if they matched more with the cinematic clips I'd be happier.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 AM   #110
Master Finch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Addictive? no/maybe, promote investment in your character and hard work? very much.

If you have an addictive personality then thats a Psy.D's problem.

The character is you, you make the choices, earn the credits, decide how you look, join groups, make friends. I understand its harder to walk away from than say TFU, but addiction is a strong word.
I couldn't agree more. I think you're saying what everyone else knows to be honest.

If you wish peace, prepare for war.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #111
Deft Aklin
Retired Dark Jedi

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I don't mind lower level graphics. Hell, I'd be pleased as punch with KOTOR/TSL graphics. It's just some of the art design that bugs me. I'm just not big on the Sith-as-maniacal-wizards-in-over-the-top-outfits and so on. Even if they matched more with the cinematic clips I'd be happier.
I'm pretty sure I'd /wrists if it was KotOR graphics. lol Have you played through it again recently? I have... it was ugly... but has a great story.

Minister of Propaganda - The Endbringers
Formerly Deft Aklin - Regent of Dark Sovereignty/The Endbringers of Starsider
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy’s not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him;
Not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.” –The Art of War, Sun Tzu

wevegotcookies.com
Deft Aklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #112
RogueJedi86

10 year veteran! 
Yeah look at Bastila's main picture on Wookieepedia, you can see the low detail in hindsight of the better graphics of today.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #113
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Don't all Star Wars games follow that formula? Take another game and add a Star Wars skin to it. By this definition, ALL Star Wars games are for the most casual of casuals and not for "serious" gamers or "hardcore" gamers or whatever you want to call yourselves.

Either way, I'm gonna wait till the game comes out and I actually play it and see for myself before I make any definite claims about it one way or the other. After all, it makes more sense to damn a game or praise it once you've actually experienced it.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #114
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'd /wrists if it was KotOR graphics. lol Have you played through it again recently? I have... it was ugly... but has a great story.
I respectfully disagree here.

I'd rather have uglier graphics if meant the ott costumes and saturday cartoon look was gone, it's just not the SW I initially got into.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #115
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Yes. I'm playing it currently.

I still say the designs of KOTOR costume wise are better than TOR.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #116
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
I haven't been by this area of LucasForums in a while and it's mostly because I'm 99% sure I'll never play TOR. When I saw this forum title, I thought I would post my thoughts on why.

The biggest reasons why:

-Paying for a game, then paying monthly fees to continue to play it. That's the biggest turnoff right there.

-My computer is over 4 years old I don't like the idea of having to pay money to upgrade it right now when I have a wife and daughter to support.

The little reasons why:

-The game/graphics looks very outdated. That shouldn't surprise anybody once they learn it started production in 2005 (It took 6 years to complete this game).

-The costumes look a bit retarded.

-The combat system looks outdated.

-The idea of having to pair up with the 10-year-old age group isn't very appealing and it's very possible the bulk of the online players will be young.

-The idea I can't explore the game at my own pace since you need other players to complete my quests maybe frustrating on my end. And I don't have the time I used to have to play games since my daughter was born last year.

-I hate seeing a franchise that was based on a single role playing game turn into something else to continue the story. It messes a part of its tradition.

Possible reasons why this game could be a failure:

-A game that takes 6 years to develop means big time money was put into it and that means it needs to make a lot of money to cover the costs.

-We're in an economic recession at the moment and that means people are tightening their wallets. And since the bulk of the people who want to play the game maybe kids, parents may feel differently about paying for a monthly online subscription because of what is going on economically.

-Making it an PC only game is a mistake as well. PC gaming is slowly dying. I have a brother who is obsessed with gaming and following everything that goes on with it and has read where it is a dying field from time-to-time as more and more people are going to console gaming. A reason for that is the cost of having to upgrade your computer to keep up with the advancing technology on your PC where as that doesn't happen with your console. So with a slowly dying industry with a bad economy could spell financial losses for a game that took 6 years to develop.

**It's a shame in a way that this game wasn't made for the PlayStation and Xbox Live networks as it would get a bigger audience in its turnout. That would have a good way to tempt me to try it.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #117
Lordjedi
Forumite

To Shem,

I can see the reasons as to why someone would not want to pay monthly fees to play a video game, but just think about it this way. Say you get a new game every couple of months, that's around $60. Meaning it's around $500-600 a year. When a TOR membership would be around $240 a year or so. I played pay to play MMO's and found that since there is a lot of new content and a live environment, that it was one of the only few games I was playing, and it kept me playing for a long time.

I also wished for a KotOR 3, but I guess this will be satisfying. It seems like a different MMO from others, such as World of Warcraft. For one, BioWare has continued it's tradition of having story based games with dialogue options. When you are questing you could make the choice whether a character lives or dies, like in KotOR. The whole "dark side, light side" points thing is still there too. You also get companions, just like in KotOR.

The outdated graphics are linked to the economic recession. As you stated, you don't wish to get a new computer and spend money for upgrades. Which is why BioWare made the graphics, for lack of a better term, crappy. They want as many people to play as possible, and when they have games with high end graphics, not as many people will be playing.

I would believe you can explore the world on your own pace. In many of the MMO's I've played, there was barely any group questing. The group quests were mainly for dungeons or for killing and higher level creature, that you can't solo. Most of the quests other than that were solo. You would get through quests faster if had were questing with others however. And you must also understand, much of the footage online for TOR is from 2009. TOR also had a moderate graphics update and combat update since then.

TOR, like many MMO's will have guilds. These are sometimes restricted for people of a certain age group or region, and you may have to apply in order to get invited. That could be one of the ways you could get away from the 10 year old fanbase.

I don't believe that PC Gaming is dying. I do believe many newer gamers are going to consoles first as you could get a Xbox 360 for $200, while you can get a gaming PC for $1,500. I am a PC gamer, as well as a console gamer. I prefer console for online and PC for singleplayer. The mod community is a big reason why people still buy for PC, and I just think the PC community is better overall.

TOR couldn't have worked on consoles, not at all. A big part of the game is talking to other players, which would be hard on consoles. In the end, MMO's just work best on PC's.

I must ask the question of whether or not you have played a MMO before. If you have not I recommend playing a free one, or try a free trial to one, and you could know what you might expect in TOR.

Last edited by Lordjedi; 09-26-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Lordjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #118
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I haven't been by this area of LucasForums in a while and it's mostly because I'm 99% sure I'll never play TOR. When I saw this forum title, I thought I would post my thoughts on why.

The biggest reasons why:

-Paying for a game, then paying monthly fees to continue to play it. That's the biggest turnoff right there.

-My computer is over 4 years old I don't like the idea of having to pay money to upgrade it right now when I have a wife and daughter to support.
1. Valid reasoning dependent on one's financial situation, for myself a month of pay equates to less than an hour of work so it isn't a big deal, but for others the turn off is easy to understand.

2. Inarguable reasoning, everyone has different priorities in life, family is a sound first for sure.

Quote:
The little reasons why:

-The game/graphics looks very outdated. That shouldn't surprise anybody once they learn it started production in 2005 (It took 6 years to complete this game).

-The combat system looks outdated.

-The idea of having to pair up with the 10-year-old age group isn't very appealing and it's very possible the bulk of the online players will be young.

-The idea I can't explore the game at my own pace since you need other players to complete my quests maybe frustrating on my end. And I don't have the time I used to have to play games since my daughter was born last year.

-I hate seeing a franchise that was based on a single role playing game turn into something else to continue the story. It messes a part of its tradition.
1. The game graphics looking outdated and stylized is intentional with respect to one of your above arguments, not everyone has the money to upgrade their computers. From the get go BioWare has stated that their intent behind their design was to make the game accessible to as many people as possible.

2. Personal point of view, I for one think some of the Smuggler outfits are awesome though.

3. I can't say either way, seeing as I haven't been able to try it out for myself. I don't know if you've played other MMO's to compare it to, I haven't really, but I do think it is a bit silly to judge without trying.

The Rest - BioWare's stated that a majority of the game can be played solo, but the experienced is enhanced with friends, as for 10 year olds, that's why you'd play with the folks here, right? I also think it is a bit of a leap to talk about how well the game continues the KOTOR tradition before seeing what it is actually made of.

Quote:
Possible reasons why this game could be a failure:

-A game that takes 6 years to develop means big time money was put into it and that means it needs to make a lot of money to cover the costs.

-We're in an economic recession at the moment and that means people are tightening their wallets. And since the bulk of the people who want to play the game maybe kids, parents may feel differently about paying for a monthly online subscription because of what is going on economically.

-Making it an PC only game is a mistake as well. PC gaming is slowly dying. I have a brother who is obsessed with gaming and following everything that goes on with it and has read where it is a dying field from time-to-time as more and more people are going to console gaming. A reason for that is the cost of having to upgrade your computer to keep up with the advancing technology on your PC where as that doesn't happen with your console. So with a slowly dying industry with a bad economy could spell financial losses for a game that took 6 years to develop.

**It's a shame in a way that this game wasn't made for the PlayStation and Xbox Live networks as it would get a bigger audience in its turnout. That would have a good way to tempt me to try it.
There have been arguments to both sides about how the recent economic recession has affected video games. I tend to believe that people facing financial trouble take solace in entertainment media. I know we aren't talking about the same genre or even audience of gamers, but Call of Duty, for what it's worth continues to break sales records each year. World of Warcraft's latest expansion broke several sales records for its respective genre. Also, if EA and BioWare are to be believed they have a massive amount of pre-orders for TOR and are expecting the largest launch for a MMO ever.

As far as PC gaming dying that's another hotly debated topic, that for the purpose of thread derailment I wont really get into more than saying that I don't believe PC gaming is dying.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #119
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Considering the nature and environment of PC gaming, I actually think it's impossible for it to 'die' at all. It might get pitifully weak and slow or even outdated, but it's never going to be a dead platform unless something bizarre happens like Microsoft creating a new kind of OS that removes all backwards-compatibility or PC users adopting increasingly disparate OSs, both of which are highly unlikely unlikely scenarios.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #120
RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:

The biggest reasons why:
No one is going to knock you for supporting your family.

Quote:
The little reasons why:

1) It always pains me to hear a grown adult say the word "retarded".

2) Why would the bulk of players be 10 year olds if you've already established just how expensive the game is going to be?

3) I was under the impression that you could complete the quests on your own and have "bots" running the quests by your side.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > Why I won't be playing TOR.