lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #1281
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post

Show spoiler
How much reputation do you need to get this outcome? I thought i had enough, but then when i
Show spoiler

would rather avoid a repeat of this
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #1282
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You realise there are 3 endings right? Your assumptions for that 1 ending don't necessarily hold across the board.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #1283
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
How much reputation do you need to get this outcome? I thought i had enough, but then when i
Show spoiler

would rather avoid a repeat of this
Show spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
You realise there are 3 endings right? Your assumptions for that 1 ending don't necessarily hold across the board.
I’m sorry you hate the game. Salzella obliviously knows the ending having completed the game once. From Salzella question I think it is also clear that Salzella also understands that Shepard’s choices have meaning outside of the final five mins of the game.

I did you a favor and stopped harping on puppy dogs and rainbows, will you please quit harping on choices don’t matter. I agree they matter very little to none in the last 5 mins, but they do matter in the other 32h29m I played the game. I would post different outcomes to different former crew members meetings, but that is in the game and not in the last 5 mins.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #1284
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Yeah, I'm a little bewildered by the reputation system this time 'round.

In my first playthrough, I imported a ME2 Shep which gave me a decent amount of reputation from the get-go. Once I got to the end,
Show spoiler
For the second playthrough, I imported that same Shep (i.e. an ME3 import, but with all the choices from 1 & 2). My reputation bar was full. All my acquired armor, weapons, upgrades, and fish were still there. However, when I got to that same part, neither the paragon nor the renegade option were available.

It could be that I had slightly more renegade that time through, and the options are only available if you have a high % paragon or renegade (95% or something like that, when I only had 91%). It could also be that I opted for the damage/power bonus over the reputation/duration bonus when I was spending my character points because my bar was full.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #1285
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I had those conversations blackout on my playthrough too. My reputation bar was full, and I had only taking one renegade hit the entire game (until I took one there (also pretty sure you know the other place I took one too)).
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #1286
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You have to choose the charm/intimidate option on Mars to unlock it.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #1287
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

I thought I had, but it's entirely possible that I missed it.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #1288
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Show spoiler

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #1289
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I thought I had, but it's entirely possible that I missed it.
There might also be another one later on, on the station. My understanding is you have to take every single charm/intimidate option in all conversations with him to unlock the very last one. I know my last playthrough I missed the Mars one as you have to go through the left-hand dialogue branch to access it and I skipped over it at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Show spoiler
I gather that is point. Wipe the slate clean for future games. Unnecessary in my opinion, and surely undesirable given the effort in building the IP to this point, but I guess we'll see what the future holds in due course.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #1290
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Show spoiler
Show spoiler
Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #1291
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Ooops forgot the spoiler tags.

By "clear" I meant as in, possible to find in the game (okay, so not clear at all, but it made sense in my head). I still stand by that statement, if a game wants to copy the worst part of DEHR, the least they could have done was copying the bit about making the consequences clear for anyone who did what they could to grab clues.

I don't want any paragon ending, heck of my two favorite game endings ever, one involved being sent to hell and the other an unfinished mask.

I guess we mostly agree, it might suck less than some think, however I don't see myself as part of "some". Did it ruin the entire game for me? Not really, I thought it was fantastic just as long as you did. However, it did ruin my evening, and it will make any replays I do much, much, less fun.

Kinda makes me wish ME3 was made by CDPR, at least TW2 will get a new ending (not DLC/expansion, they are redoing the ending as free DLC).

@DP: My point was that wiping the slate clean limits what they can do to remedy the situation, thus hoping for some sort of MotB savior is probably pointless. The fact that it was intentional doesn't change that.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1292
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Mim, regardless of how you want to say it, this whole thread shows another of BioWare's failures with the ending. It's tearing the ME3 crowd into two, but regardless of how you look at it, no matter who is right, we ARE still expected to fill in the blanks.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1293
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Trust me, Tuesday morning at about 1:30 am if I would had written anything on the forum I would have had to ban myself, because it would have been a few choice 4 letter words. I'm really glad that I slept on it before writing anything because I would have had to eat some of those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Mim, regardless of how you want to say it, this whole thread shows another of BioWare's failures with the ending. It's tearing the ME3 crowd into two, but regardless of how you look at it, no matter who is right, we ARE still expected to fill in the blanks.
I don't know, check out how many game threads on this forum has over 1000 posts....I think bioware pretty much knows what they are doing. I hate most of it, but they keep themselves and their products in the news and on peoples lips and that is half the battle. If you don't like it, you can always vote with your pocket book. I'm going to vote with mine by giving them more money so I can play more TOR.

see what I mean http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/tech...-ending-442217

Last edited by mimartin; 03-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1294
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I really don't get why you're getting up in arms about defending an ending you yourself don't even like...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #1295
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I really don't get why you're getting up in arms about defending an ending you yourself don't even like...
Bioware promised him a free snow cone to represent.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #1296
MsFicwriter

Current Game: Arcanum
Roleplayer 
I'm wondering if I should play ME1 and 2 again to get the full experience for 3. Are the choices that you make in the first two games really that awesome in the third one, the endings notwithstanding?
MsFicwriter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #1297
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

There are some choices in 1 that are only significant in 3, however 2 has a lot of influence.

I'm taking a pass on Insanity and doing a start-to-finish run now. Just about to meet Saren
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #1298
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The most important thing is who lived and who died, particularly in ME2. A lot of things are set to happen regardless of your previous choices, although these are generally acknowledged at least (and on a couple of occasions draw an appropriate "wtf was it all for?!" from Shepard).

Edit: RPS offer up a fairly balanced take on the ending debate, agreeing and disagreeing with elements from both sides - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...nd-of-an-epic/ Spoilers obviously. Also, he stole my Casper reference.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 03-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #1299
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I'm taking a pass on Insanity and doing a start-to-finish run now. Just about to meet Saren
Started my ME3 insanity run, figured i'd go out with a bang and get all the achievements. Not that bad for me, so far. I am about to do Grissom Academy though, and I hear the Atrium is a bitch.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #1300
Salzella
areiK

An Insanity run sounds like a good idea actually... besides ME1 where anything above 'Veteran' is frankly tedious. Let's face it, combat in the first one sucked
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #1301
Sylthar
Rookie

Quote:
An Insanity run sounds like a good idea actually... besides ME1 where anything above 'Veteran' is frankly tedious. Let's face it, combat in the first one sucked
Yes. I don't like really playing anything above Veteran on the first one. Makes the game drag on a hell of a lot longer than it actually should.

off topic: Everytime I see your name, it makes me crave salsa.... xD

Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #1302
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Makes me wanna dance.
But anyway, god, Atlas Mechs are irritating as hell on Insanity. Not looking forward to my first Phantoms either.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1303
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I don't get that...I'm of the opposite opinion (again). I thought ME's combat was way too easy even on Insanity while ME2's was insane on Insanity. Don't even want to think about a couple battles in ME3 on Insanity, so until I get every other achievement....not going
to think about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1304
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
ME1 on Insanity was super easy with a Soldier with Immunity, but any class could cakewalk it on a NG+. I remember it being pretty brutal for a level 1 Adept though. ME2 and ME3 both have the same issue, which is Bioware's idea of increased difficulty is mainly just upping the health by huge amounts and stacking on armour/shields/barriers. My first run through ME3 was on Hardcore and Banshees were a real PITA with their massive health bar plus their teleport and insta-kill melee attack. Great fun trying to run around a battlefield and constantly getting sucked into cover and dying because of the super all-in-one Awesome Button™. In all three games the higher difficulties are not really difficult, just completely tedious.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1305
Salzella
areiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziost View Post
Yes. I don't like really playing anything above Veteran on the first one. Makes the game drag on a hell of a lot longer than it actually should.

off topic: Everytime I see your name, it makes me crave salsa.... xD
haha, you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Makes me wanna dance.
But anyway, god, Atlas Mechs are irritating as hell on Insanity. Not looking forward to my first Phantoms either.
oh gods, Phantoms are a nightmare on multiplayer, i hate to think about what they'll be like on insanity. Just started a hardcore playthrough for my second ME3 run, and it's fine so far. mind you, i have only just finished Menae. it will get harder i suspect >_>

a battle i suspect would be an absolute horror on Insanity would be the
Show spoiler

edit: @DP, nah i reckon the latter games higher difficulty combat is what you make of it. which is to say that all the games are tedious when playing as a solider, annoying but fun when playing as, say, a Vanguard (glass cannon anyone?), and actually really fun when playing as an infiltrator. for me anyway. Sentinels, like soliders, kind of suck. adepts and engineers i'm not really sure about tbh but i like mucking around with them on multiplayer.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #1306
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
a battle i suspect would be an absolute horror on Insanity
I think the award would probably go to
Show spoiler
Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #1307
Salzella
areiK

hell, i think anything with banshees would qualify.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #1308
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I think the award would probably go to
Show spoiler
You know that was difficult, but my most difficult battle in the game.

Show spoiler

You know how they say they have a APP for that. Well if you have questions about the ending....

They have a APP for that. Warning Spoilers even in the article.

Not going to comment beyond that. (couldn't help myself, paid the $2.99 for it) Nevermind the app right now is only for the iPad and I'm not going to buy a iPad just for that. Hope they add the iPhone or I am going to buy a iPad for a classroom (when the new one comes out), maybe they will let me use it once before I give it to them.

Last edited by mimartin; 03-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #1309
Salzella
areiK

Show spoiler
. once you figure it out it's actually pretty bleedin' obvious but my god it's frustrating to reload automatically, frantically look around for a reload/somewhere to run to, then get obliterated. again. and again. :|
Old 03-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #1310
Sylthar
Rookie

Show spoiler

Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1311
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
my most difficult battle in the game
Hey, yeah the
Show spoiler
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #1312
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Re: Rannoch -
Show spoiler
Old 03-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1313
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Rannoch was fine (after dying the "necessary" two times to see the pattern, also, because the missile painting doesn't reset if you move, you can paint it slowly if you want to be safe), the missile battery was worst for me.
Show spoiler

I kinda miss the ME1 Adept though, with independent timers that took a long time to recharge, battles could play like puzzles. That, and unleashing all your powers at the same time made you feel rather powerful compared to most other classes.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #1314
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Playing as a Sentinel for my first playthrough, this game felt outrageously easy, even playing on Insanity. If I brought Liara along, and didn't bring more than a sniper and a pistol, I could use biotic combos often enough that I almost never even used my guns until Rannoch.

Most of the few times I died were from the consolitis 1-button spacebar everything system not letting me disengage from cover properly when a grenade showed up. Other than that, I only died 6 times:
spoiler:
1. The maw hammer bit on Tuchanka, until I realized I could just use tech armor, and sprint to each hammer.
2. The banshee battle at the end of the monastery mission, since I hadn't figured out how banshees worked yet.
3. The rachni caves, one part where you bring down a wall, and are swarmed with husks, with next to no distance between you from the start.
4. The battle on Rannoch with a few primes in a room where the first obvious cover doesn't protect you from the ones on the sides, that I hadn't noticed initially.
5. The reaper battle on Rannoch, which gets brutal on Insanity. I actually died around 4 times on this, but it's not exactly similar to the rest of the game.
6. The final London battle, as Parametric mentioned. I died on this one a few times as well.

Other than those instances, it was pretty easy to avoid death with proper use of cover, biotic combo spam, and occasionally hanging back and letting the enemies come to you. No phantom has even touched Shepard. Atlas mechs are easy if you take out their engineers, then biotic combo spam like everything else. A lot of people have issues at the Academy, but the strategy I used made it a joke.

This is strange to me, as I'm normally not too good at vidya game shooters.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #1315
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
(after dying the "necessary" two times to see the pattern,
Pretty sure the necessary times in my case were 8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
Show spoiler
Show spoiler
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #1316
Salzella
areiK

Show spoiler
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #1317
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah getting the Black Widow very early on is nice. Shame you have to wait so long for the real Widow. I'm not a fan of all the high rate of fire semi-automatic rifles they threw in to bulk out the numbers. If you want lots of pew pew, use an freaking assault rifle. You can even put scopes on them now, so it just seems superfluous.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #1318
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Scopes kinda ruined assualt rifles for me.

And the CE N7 Eagle...don't even bother carrying a sub machine gun. ROF on that bad boy makes them unnecessary.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #1319
jedi_consular16
Rookie

This has probably been explained before but has Bioware ever made a statement about why the majority of Reapers (at least the "capital" class ones) all look like the same...erm..squid-like/crab-like species? I only ask because its pointed out over and over that each time a species is exterminated they are harvested and turned into a Reaper. Is there an in-universe explanation? Are the squid-like Reapers the first as in they were the original bio-killers and the other species-based examples were produced after? Or was it simply that Bioware did not want to have to design so many different looking Reapers to fill in the background of cinematics? If thats the case its perfectly understandable because its really just an aesthetics thing but I was just curious.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #1320
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

If there's an explanation I don't think if seen it. Kinda irked me too
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3