lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #1521
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
My sources told me that they are saving that for the pay DLC. Apparently, there are plans for a mini-game involving the buttons on Tali's suit and some QTEs and a special "Achievement".
View page
YouTube Video

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #1522
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
It totally needs the fist pump QTE from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

View page
YouTube Video

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #1523
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I hope they also go back and fix the start of Mass Effect 2 (when the crew abandons Shepard) and Arrival (where Shepard gets knocked out and time passes without the player being able to see it). Then they can tackle the big stuff like making Mass Effect playable again.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #1524
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Next up from BioWare... MASS EFFECT TRILOGY using the updated ME3 engine reacreating the entire trilogy with all dlc included etc in a billion disc set (for 360 at least).

Old 04-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #1525
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I'll buy it so long as it includes an Extended Cut explanation for how "organic life is a genetic mutation" and a CE shot glass for when I feel like playing the Unofficial Mass Effect Drinking Game (drink once if a planet is either tidally locked or a captured object. Drink twice if it's both).
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #1526
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Next up from BioWare... MASS EFFECT TRILOGY using the updated ME3 engine reacreating the entire trilogy with all dlc included etc in a billion disc set (for 360 at least).
It's cringeworthy knowing that I would actually buy this.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #1527
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
While I'm in the camp of those who think the ending should be different to what we got, I never really expected Bioware to do anything about it. Something like this "Extended Cut" of theirs did cross my mind, but I didn't really expect them to do even that. However, now that it's been announced - it's free so I'll probably check it out. I don't really think it will fix anything without removing the character of Starchild and giving the Reapers a different purpose and motivation, but I guess it's worth a look.

While we're on the subject on fan expectations, authors' promises, fan outrage and authors' reactions, here's an interesting article that deals with the topic of modern storytelling and fan input.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #1528
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Shepard shot first!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #1529
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah and they'll add Imperial walkers and giant dewback lizards to the citadel like they originally intended in the first version.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #1530
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

And in the next special edition,
spoiler:
Starchild is replaced by Hayden Christiansen.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #1531
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
And in the next special edition,
spoiler:
Starchild is replaced by Hayden Christiansen.
Quote:
Yeah and they'll add Imperial walkers and giant dewback lizards to the citadel like they originally intended in the first version.

Well done, sirs. Well done.

EDIT: While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #1532
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Here's hoping for a disruptive PAX talk.

It'd be great if someone ended up crying.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #1533
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!

I had hoped that would originally make it into the game, or at least some kind of Omega based mission. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Just wonder if they'll add any new crew members or temp party members and how much of the DLC will be window dressing (outfits, weapons, etc...) vs mission oriented.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #1534
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
EDIT: While on the topic of DLC though, I have seen a 'prediction' (I say prediction, it was more of a rant because people don't seem to want it) that among the DLC we will get, there will be a Take Back Omega DLC. Would anyone be game for such a thing? I know I would!
Well that would help to provide context for the comic that came with my CE.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #1535
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's planned. There is already content on the disc for it. The only question is whether it is MP or SP (or both).
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #1536
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Mass Effect 3: Resurgence Pack, a multiplayer DLC announced

And, oddly enough, it's free.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #1537
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

lol never playing me3 multiplayer.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #1538
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

EA + Free DLC, no matter what it is = Something's up.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #1539
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Could be that they haven't seen the response to MP that they were hoping for. That's my guess anyway.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #1540
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
My friends that have played MP in ME3 love it, problem is that most of my friends (especially around here) don't play MP. I haven't touched it, don't do MP.... With one exception.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #1541
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Cox

Had to painstakingly choose from immense list of variables -- just not feasible to make every single one matter
So none of them mattered, now buy DLC.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #1542
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
OMFG AWESOME

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #1543
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
The article previously posted by Titanius, this one here, is great. Also, I recommend watching this video, which is also great.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #1544
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The new patch is out and the major thing they were supposed to fix - the face import bug - hasn't been fixed. The official forums are up in arms about it. I gave it a brief test to confirm and it would appear any ME1 face imported into ME2 without changes (thus having no face code) still does not convert properly when imported into ME3. Faces that do have a code seem to mostly import OK structure-wise, but certain elements, like hair style or eye colour, may be changed/absent.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #1545
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
The article previously posted by Titanius, this one here, is great. Also, I recommend watching this video, which is also great.
That video was fun and mostly spot on, even though I don't agree with everything he says. A more creative and entertaining way to present complaints than long rants on the Bioware forums, even though it likely will be as effective in bringing about change (i.e. not at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
The new patch is out and the major thing they were supposed to fix - the face import bug - hasn't been fixed.
While that particular bug doesn't bother me (ME1-generated faces would look rather archaic compared to regular ME3 faces) I do find it odd they have such trouble finding and dealing with a bug that's not exactly obscure.

The patch also overwrote the coalesced.bin file, forcing me to reapply all my tweaks and mods. Need to remember to back that file up before allowing the game to patch next time.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #1546
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
ME1-generated faces would look rather archaic compared to regular ME3 faces
So presumably ME2 faces are archaic as well then? What with the exact same base morph meshes being used in the first two games. That also (somewhat paradoxically) presumably makes ME3 faces archaic, given that it uses only slightly retopologised versions of the original meshes (adding a mere 276 polys - basically some extra edge loops to aid animation).

Edit: Actually looking closer, it seems the topology of the outer face of the ME3 mesh is identical to the ME1/2 meshes, they just tweaked some vertex positions, notably bringing the brow down on the male. Other than that, the only place that is obviously structurally different that I can see is the mouth box.

Edit 2: OK, I've pulled all 3 models apart and I can say that across all 3 games the external mesh for the face and neck are absolutely identical in topology and UV layout. Ditto the eyeballs and eyelashes. The only difference between the ME3 model and the ME1/2 model is that they changed the mesh for the mouth box. I'm not sure why exactly, but I assume it was animation related, as they added almost 300 polys as I said above. It could also be for texture related reasons, as they have re-UV'd it and switched around which textures the different elements of the mouth box use.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 04-11-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1547
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

For the life of me, I can't find the pics to illustrate, but folks who purposefully created ugly/exaggerated Shepard faces have noticed that the faces they've created change pretty drastically between 2 and 3. I'll try to fine them if I can... but it does tell me that even minor alterations have an effect, most of which probably won't be obvious to a lot of the faces people create, but will be a little more obvious for other folks.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #1548
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
They changed the morph targets across all 3 games, but the underlying meshes are the same (which is the only reason it is possible to even attempt transferring morphs between them).
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #1549
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
So presumably ME2 faces are archaic as well then?
Yes, I've found that it's completely impossible to create a natural-looking female Shepard in either Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2. Haven't bothered trying in Mass Effect 3 since the new default female head looks lightyears better than anything you could squeeze out of the CharGen, if what you say is accurate.

(Wish they'd add the new default head as DLC to Mass Effect 2 as well so you can keep your appearance between games, but I doubt that would ever happen.)

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #1550
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well yeah the "canon" Shep heads are cheats of a sort, as they are custom meshes freed from the constraints of the morph system. As such they can make the face pretty much whatever shape they want. Within limits of course - they have to keep the topology and extents roughly the same to work with the existing rigs.

Whipped out the appropriate textures for each head. Aside from a few tweaks, they are basically identical across all 3 games:

So basically what it boils down to is that the heads are physically identical in all the games (bar the mouth boxes, but they are inconsequential to this discussion). The only difference lies in the aesthetics of the varying morph targets, which is presumably why they keep changing them.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #1551
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
That video was fun and mostly spot on, even though I don't agree with everything he says. A more creative and entertaining way to present complaints than long rants on the Bioware forums, even though it likely will be as effective in bringing about change (i.e. not at all).
Pretty much agree.

Quote:
The patch also overwrote the coalesced.bin file, forcing me to reapply all my tweaks and mods. Need to remember to back that file up before allowing the game to patch next time.

Good to know. Where is this patch found? Tried going to Bioware and even plugging in things like ME3 patch, etc.... but got nothing other than news related items.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #1552
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Just load up your friendly Origin malware. After a gentle probing of your system, it will sort you right out.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #1553
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Just load up your friendly Origin malware. After a gentle probing of your system, it will sort you right out.
Ahh... maybe I'll just pass then. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #1554
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
While I was digging around in the bowels of the games, I decided to compare a couple of other head meshes. Here are Anderson and Ashley:

As with the player morphs, ME1 and 2 use identical meshes in both cases. Leaving aside textures, the ME3 Anderson head looks like it is the same mesh topology-wise (except for the change to the new mouth box), just with some vertex positions tweaked slightly (most notably the brow and neck line). It's the textures that make him look so different in ME3.

Ashley is a different story. It seems like her head is an all new mesh. Her ME3 face now has 2000 polys vs 1758 for the ME1/2 face. Leaving aside the chest extension, her ME3 neck/scalp mesh has about 1200 polys vs the 1026 of the ME1/2 mesh. I thought she looked radically different in-game in ME3 vs ME1/2, but looking at the bare meshes they are actually structurally very close. There are some tweaks to glam the ME3 mesh up, like more defined cheek bones, fuller lips, a slightly different brow line, but otherwise I don't really see a lot of difference - not as much as I was expecting anyway. Have a look at this comparison of the ME1/2 face mesh vs the ME3 face mesh each using the same textures:

(the UVs don't align perfectly, so there is a little bit of stretching/distortion there)

I think the thing that makes her look so jarringly different in-game is primarily the hair style, but the texture change doesn't help either.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #1555
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
lol never playing me3 multiplayer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
My friends that have played MP in ME3 love it, problem is that most of my friends (especially around here) don't play MP. I haven't touched it, don't do MP.... With one exception.
I decided to play MP right before the end of the game to get my Galaxy At War up to 100% (my EMS was 6323 going into the last fight), and I loved it. I levelled an Asari Vanguard to 20 and had alot of fun doing it.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #1556
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Ran into something pretty cool and partially ME3 related:

View page
YouTube Video

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #1557
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Saw this and thought it was funny. Kinda Spoilery! Don't read if you're still somehow unspoilt.

Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #1558
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
As one of those who weren't able to import their shepard until the patch was released last week, I have only just finished ME3 now.

So...

I feel that I might be in an odd camp when it came to my expectations to this. I heard about all the controvesy with the endings before I even started playing, so I'm a bit disappointed in the endings, but not in the way others might have been.

Given all the comment's I'd read about it (while avoiding spoilers), I was genuinely expecting something like 'the reapers win' and the final scene has all the main characters surrendering themselves for harvesting. So I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't anything that dark and extreme.

I think the ending was...OK, just badly explained, badly shown and doesn't make that much sense when you start to think about it. I think Boba Rhett's pic above sums up any problems I might have with it.

I only have one major problem with this game, and that's harbinger. I thought he was a really cool villain in ME2, and was intrigued to know more about him/it. So what do we have in ME3? A cameo and an offscreen death. I am irked by it, but I'll get over it.

So, my summary goes thusly:

Good things :
- The graphics. I think the landscapes and areas were better than they've ever looked.
- I like the majority of the plot and some of the character deaths.

Bad things :
- The graphics. The faces can look very deformed and sometimes it's just too dark and there's too much stuff everywhere. There's a few times where I just stand there getting shot with no clue where the enemies are.
- Too many cutscenes where Shepard just stands there like a plonker. (No don't bother shooting Kai Leng when he's fighting Thane. What could possibly go wro,- oh damn).

I may add more later, I just wanted to write something down while the game's still echoing in my head.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #1559
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Too many cutscenes where Shepard just stands there like a plonker. (No don't bother shooting Kai Leng when he's fighting Thane. What could possibly go wro,- oh damn).
Yeah, I thought something similiar when you encounter Eva Core on Mars at the extraction point.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #1560
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Just found this weapons and armor guide (for those that might be interested):

Link

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3