lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #1601
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Going through the Bioware forums to see what's changed (not too bothered about spoilers with this unless there's something REALLY big).

No big changes to the ending, by which I mean no indoctrinaton theory. In fact from what I read, the new content seems to work more towards disproving it.

More details with slight spoilers :

Show spoiler

This is the fun change. They have apparently added a new ending, sort of...

Show spoiler

On the whole it's looking a little bit weak to me, but there could be some really cool hidden stuff the fans haven't found yet.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #1602
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Lol the Normandy thing sounds retarded. Makes even less sense now than before. They would have been much better off just removing that whole bit altogether and retconning it out of existence.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #1603
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Endings ahoy:

You'll want to skip to about 6:30 on each, because it's mostly the conversation with the Starchild and it's the same far as I can tell.

Refusal:
View page
YouTube Video
Synthesis:
View page
YouTube Video
Destroy:
View page
YouTube Video
Control:
View page
YouTube Video

Last edited by Sabretooth; 06-26-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #1604
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Lol the Normandy thing sounds retarded. Makes even less sense now than before.
How so? Or are you just in a hate it mood automatically?

spoiler:
Now you hear the order to get out, where before you were upset because we just intelligently guessed such a order must have been given for Joker to leave.

Or is it retarded that the Normandy crashed and then took off with a whole crew to repair it compared to the ending of ME2 where the Normandy crashed and then took off to save the day with just a man with Vrolik Syndrome to repair it.

Thanks Sabre, I actually for one like them all now. I can live with the ending now, not that I couldn't live with it before, but now I may actually play the game for a third playthrough. Really like that BioWare had the guts to include the Refusal ending. Not sure I will ever choice that for my Shepards, but it is nice that it was included.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1605
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Sounds decent now that more and more things are being discovered by fans. Speaking as someone who disliked the ending rather than hated it, I feel this solves most of the problems I had with it.

My only real remaining problems are :

1 - I doesn't seem like Harbinger has anything new to do.

More Harbinger interaction was something I was really looking forward to. It is possible that he has something added into the game at an earlier point though.

2 - They still have that one Shepard breath at the end. If you're going to go through so much effort to clarify how all the other stuff ended up, it seems weird to show it that way. It's clearly intended to show that he survives, so given the detail elsewhere you might as well have him sitting a beach sharing a drink with Garrus or marrying Liara and playing with their little blue kids.

I guess it's also possible that certain choices added earlier to the game might affect the ending outcomes. I'll wait a week and have another read through the desciptions.

PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #1606
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
The forums have definately become a 'Reunion DLC' petition already on BSN for Destroy choosers.

I LOVED the ending, personally. I feel like I got what I was promised for once; closure and clarity.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1607
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Well, I spent the first couple hours since I woke up playing through the ending again from the "Legends" save. However, NOTHING changed for me. I believe there was more content on Earth but nothing regarding the Citadel at the end changed. Origin said everything installed correctly, so I guess Origin lied. Ehh, I'll probably reinstall the DLC and play through it again, but not today.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1608
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
MEH.

Anyone else going back to the good old days of Pursuing Saren in Mass Effect? I sure am!

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #1609
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
So I just got through watching all of the endings and I have to say I think they did an okay job. I hate that they used a stupid drawings slideshow though, that was just lazy. I feel they have given us a little more closure, it still could be better but I'm happy as is. This gives me a good excuse to get my Insanity play through finished with my renegade Shep and choose the "Destroy" ending, which I feel is best suited to her. I will definitely be going back and playing through the whole trilogy again at some point in the future.

Despite all the crap surrounding ME3, Mass Effect is still in my opinion the best damn gaming series ever made.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #1610
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Call me easily impressed... but they fixed it! They ****ing fixed it. Maybe I just got lucky but i was satisfied...

Show spoiler

Shame about the fairly lame slideshow thingy (LOL Zaeed), but apart from that, colour me happy

edit: woah, just took a look at the 'refusal' ending.

...really glad i didn't choose it just to see what would happen
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #1611
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leXX View Post
Despite all the crap surrounding ME3, Mass Effect is still in my opinion the best damn gaming series ever made.
QFT

IMO it isn't even close.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #1612
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Heh, this so called "professional writer" rage-quitted Mass Effect and made a thread about it.

A pretty interesting read, to say the least, as well as the subsequent comments.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #1613
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm finished. Finally... and now with that, I'll never play any of the Mass Effect games ever again.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #1614
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
I finished the new endings and I think bioware did a great job.

I know some people talked about the slide show images and wish they were an ingame scene- but the reason for this was because the Extended Cut could not go over 2 gigs.
I read somewhere that xbox live only allows patches to be max 2 gigs.

Now I know there are still people who are onto the indoctrinate theory, and I think it would be cool if Bioware made a Indoctrination DLC.

This would dive into the topic of it and could also flush out and give info on how this works and in doing so explain the Illusive man's ability in his final scene.

Plus you could have a final fight between harbinger and shepard- inside shepard's mind. They try to indoctrinate Shepard but it fails.

This would be before the ending, abd wouldn't affect the endings - it would be just a DLC

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #1615
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

began re runs of the entire trilogy see myself playing these for years to come

Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #1616
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
MEH.

Anyone else going back to the good old days of Pursuing Saren in Mass Effect? I sure am!
Amen, brother.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #1617
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
I'd start practicing my "surprised" face now if I were you.
Here it is

I.. wow. I can't believe it. The naysayers were right.

...But this basically means that all the 'indicators' of the Indoctrination Theory in ME3 are now plot holes and signs of bad/rushed development.. And there are a crapload of them.

As for the actual extended endings themselves, I think they're satisfactory. They make the game playable, and provide some much needed closure. I'm a little disappointed at the 'slideshow' aspect though. (Curse you, Xbox LIVE, and your pithy 2gb patch limit! )

Show spoiler

Overall, I'm a little disappointed. I expected more from 1.9gb, given that DLC like the Lair of the Shadow Broker was 1.5gb and contained over 2 hours of gameplay. But yeah. The Extended Cut makes the game ok, and gives us closure. Though I think it could have been something spectacular, with the adoption of the Indoctrination Theory.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #1618
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Partically off topic : Does anyone know what the Mass Effect modding scene is like?

Have people worked out how to do anything with it/them?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1619
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Partically off topic : Does anyone know what the Mass Effect modding scene is like?

AFAIK modding is limited to config file and savegame tweaks. You can replace in game textures too. There could be more things that can be done, but I don't know of them.

Logically, I'd assume it wouldn't be much, since DLC's are an established and viable revenue pathway for the ME series. I doubt a development kit will be released any time soon.

it is not a cry of joy.

Last edited by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan; 06-27-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #1620
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post

...But this basically means that all the 'indicators' of the Indoctrination Theory in ME3 are now plot holes and signs of bad/rushed development.. And there are a crapload of them.
And had they used the indoctrination theory they would have opened up even bigger plot holes and pretty much proven that the ME series was just lazy amateur writing.

Many of the so-called indicator that people have come up with are also signs of head trauma, the kind of trauma you may get from almost being obliterated by a reapers main gun. I guess bioware should have done a better job showing Shepard was injured. The blood, destroyed armor, slowed movement... just wasn't enough to convince some people and TIM and Starkid pretty either implying or point blank stating that Shepard was not indoctrinated still did not convince people.

I really think Kreia ruin dialogue in games, now nobody believes anything NPC say in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
Heh, this so called "professional writer" rage-quitted Mass Effect and made a thread about it.

A pretty interesting read, to say the least, as well as the subsequent comments.
Did not know Cooper Lawrence finally actually play Mass Effect. Interesting….However I would hardly call some hack self-help author a profession writer.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1621
mr_dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
I finished the new endings and I think bioware did a great job.

I know some people talked about the slide show images and wish they were an ingame scene- but the reason for this was because the Extended Cut could not go over 2 gigs.
I read somewhere that xbox live only allows patches to be max 2 gigs.
My thoughts exactly.

mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #1622
logan23
Veteran

Quote:
Here it is

As for the actual extended endings themselves, I think they're satisfactory. They make the game playable, and provide some much needed closure. I'm a little disappointed at the 'slideshow' aspect though. (Curse you, Xbox LIVE, and your pithy 2gb patch limit! )

Show spoiler

Overall, I'm a little disappointed. I expected more from 1.9gb, given that DLC like the Lair of the Shadow Broker was 1.5gb and contained over 2 hours of gameplay. But yeah. The Extended Cut makes the game ok, and gives us closure. Though I think it could have been something spectacular, with the adoption of the Indoctrination Theory.
The reason you don't see the size of the DLC is because it has many different versions and images plus the rendered movies are big. Lair of the Shadow broker was mostly in game engine cut scenes, not rendered ones.

I know you mentioned the Refusal Option being a bit short.
I believe if they could have made the DLC slightly bigger, I could see them showing some scenes on how the Galaxy fought in the battle and hint to how this might have majorly cut down on the Reapers' numbers. (Personally I liked the Refusal Ending in some ways more then the others-
Show spoiler

I still would love a DLC that touches on the Illusive man's abilities in the final scene and also talk about the concept of Indoctrination in general. I really thing the topic of Indoctrination is something they could do a DLC on with it's own mission/adventure. ( this would not be aimed at the ending- just exploring the concept of it, how it works- hints on how the Illusive man planned to use such abilities)

Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1623
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
Shame about the fairly lame slideshow thingy (LOL Zaeed), but apart from that, colour me happy
edit: woah, just took a look at the 'refusal' ending.
...really glad i didn't choose it just to see what would happen
Yeah, that Zaeed pic was kind of funny. As for the endings, went with Refusal first b/c of it was shortest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex
AFAIK modding is limited to config file and savegame tweaks. You can replace in game textures too. There could be more things that can be done, but I don't know of them.
Yeah, that's about all I've seen/done as well.

Overall, I can live with endings as well. Better than what we got, visually, but also sort of unnecessary in figuring out an aftermath on our own. After playing out new endings with older saves, can probably put game aside for awhile. Btw, did anyone notice anything different before the final push for the beam? They seemed to imply that there might be changes between the attack on Cronos and hitting the Citadel before that last push.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1624
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I AM HARBINGER
I WILL SHOOT DEATH BEAMS AT YOU
OH, SORRY YOU'RE HAVING A TOUCHING MOMENT?
I AM HARBINGER
I WILL STOP SHOOTING DEATH BEAMS AT YOU FOR THE MOMENT WHILE YOU HAVE A TOUCHING MOMENT

I personally got nothing out of the modified ending, it still has the same shtick with a fuzzier coating but still sucked just as much as the original version. Of course, I don't blame BioWare for going in this direction... and I've already talked about this on skype with others but I guess I'll try and go over my thoughts here...

Mass Effect has always been a "high production b-grade sci-fi movie" and throughout the trilogy it has managed to represent the three major types of these b-grade sci-fi movies you'd generally see.

There's the boring one but had a really great concept that got a cult following happening. Aka Mass Effect (1).

Then we have the more exciting type which, for a b-grade sci-fi, is seen as being poorly made compared to the boring type but is the most entertaining type to watch. Aka Mass Effect 2.

Finally, there's the movie which doesn't seem to care about its genre and ends up screwing itself up the ass, breaking its own rules which ends up creating a really terrible ending. Aka Mass Effect 3.

BioWare, whether intentional or not, has managed to capture the major types of b-grade sci-fi movies in its Mass Effect trilogy. So whether I personally enjoyed the ending or not doesn't really matter because when I think about Mass Effect in this way, everything makes perfect sense.

Out of the three main games, I have to say I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 the most and the geth/quarian arc of ME3. ME1 is boring but, as I said before, has a great concept.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #1625
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
So this Leviathan DLC sounds like we may get a Reaper teammate.

What the ****, Bioware? This is horse**** if true.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #1626
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:

The DLC will make little sense until announced anyway, but it's certainly odd. Combined with the Extended Cut, it doesn't, anyway. If Shepard does this mission and discovers who the original creators of the star child were, as is hinted in the DLC leak, then why would he ask the star child who they were, like he can if you select the dialogue choice?

Secondly, Halo's Arbiter anyone? No thanks. I have no idea why a reaper would go rogue in the first place but w/e. If anything, it also pokes holes at the star child's 'solution', given that even its own 'solution' is quite stupid. It's even worse than before, if Reapers don't even obey it.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #1627
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

It'd also make the "Control" ending meaningless if Reapers can just go rogue.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #1628
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
I expected more from 1.9gb, given that DLC like the Lair of the Shadow Broker was 1.5gb and contained over 2 hours of gameplay.
Extracting the archive, 1GB is pre-rendered video. The rest is primarily audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
it still has the same shtick with a fuzzier coating but still sucked just as much as the original version.
Indeed. Seems to have done the trick for the majority of the outraged masses though. Which kind of makes you wonder what it was exactly that they were complaining about in the first place if they could be so easily swayed by a few additional lines of inconsequential dialogue and some extra space magic retconned in.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #1629
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
stuff
Well, given the number of Reapers taking down Vancouver, Shepard never should have gotten off earth anyway. But, yeah, I thought it ridiculous that they could just swing in and make a pickup unscathed while Harbinger was decimating everything else in sight. If only reality could work out like that....

Quote:
Quote:
it still has the same shtick with a fuzzier coating but still sucked just as much as the original version.
Indeed. Seems to have done the trick for the majority of the outraged masses though. Which kind of makes you wonder what it was exactly that they were complaining about in the first place if they could be so easily swayed by a few additional lines of inconsequential dialogue and some extra space magic retconned in.
If this ending placated the ragers, they were just bitching to bitch or had to have everything spelled out for them in the first place. Frankly, I learned long ago to expect little to nothing from entertainment in terms of being logically consistent or "realistic". Less chance of becoming despondent, enraged or even deranged when things don't go the way you want or think they should've.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Last edited by Totenkopf; 06-28-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #1630
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

My problem with ME3 as a movie enthusiast is that they broke the rules they themselves set out in their own creation.

My problem with ME3 as a video game enthusiast is that my decisions ultimately didn't amount to anything in the end.

I wasn't expecting much from the Extended Cut to begin with, and to be honest, I really wasn't expecting much from ME3 to begin with either. Of course, that doesn't mean I wasn't disappointed. I realise what I wanted BioWare to do was completely unrealistic since I ultimately envisioned them to have an uncompromising story with layers of variation that made you run back to ME1 after you had finished because you knew that your actions would change the game THAT MUCH that by the time you got to ME3 it'd be a totally different game than the first run-through.

It's not, and I can understand why. In a way I'm fine with the ending as it is or was because it fits with that terrible b-grade sci-fi movie dynamic. Unfortunately, it gives me no reason at all to go back and play their games again to get a truly different set of variations.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #1631
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Truth be told, though, not really sure that big picture was going to be that affected by the many decisions Shep makes throughout b/c they seemed to be more on a micro or personal level. Most of them merely seemed to affect the journey to the end (who lived, died, etc..). That said, the whole 3 choice ending did seem to make hash of the claim that 1000s of variables will affect the outcome spiel they gave us. Perhaps the peril of promising (or at least seeming to) more than they could/did deliver. Btw, which rules set out in its creation did you feel/think were violated?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #1632
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Not all of Shep's decisions are on a micro/personal level though. A lot of them should be affecting the galaxy in drastic ways. The problem that BioWare faced was that to play out those variables, they would essentially have to create a number of different games to explore all of the permutations.

Instead, what they did was flatten out the story in-between each of the games. During each game you would be presented with many paths you could follow, but when you end the game, that path which had so many variables needed to be forced into easy to manage channels which didn't differ from each other too much. Thus you get the whole "nothing Shepard did really mattered" feeling. Of course, Shepard's decisions would have affected the big galactic picture, if BioWare had the resources and the guile to do it, they would have, but they took the easier option, which I can't really blame them for.

As for the rules they broke, it was mostly to do with style, genre and storytelling which they outlined in ME1 and 2. 3 ended up taking the series in a new direction. Of course, this is because the people who were writing the games to begin with weren't the ones who were writing ME3 and that ended up screwing with quite a few things.

The real point of all of this is simple though. ME3 didn't make me want to go back and replay the trilogy at all. In fact, at the end of ME3 it made me think "well, that's that, no point in going back now cause there really isn't that much variation to go back and explore."

And that is really disappointing for a trilogy that seemed to pride itself on the variables.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #1633
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
this is because the people who were writing the games to begin with weren't the ones who were writing ME3 and that ended up screwing with quite a few things.
I think one of the main problems, regardless of who did the actual writing, was that there was never any sort of detailed overarching narrative planned out from the start for all three games to follow. They basically just made it all up as they went along. When all the ME3 ending drama erupted, and Karpyshyn was prompted by fans into making a public response, he said as much on his blog.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #1634
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Went through the Extended Cut last night. In short it's still pretty bad, but slightly less than it used to be. At the very least the endings now feel like endings, instead of just stops. I do find it hilarious how Bioware insisted that they will not change their endings, only expand them and yet there are obvious changes to certain elements of the endings. Makes one wonder why they weren't willing to make some more small changes that would make the endings (IMO) more in tune with the rest of the series. But first, on to what they've done:

Show spoiler

Having said all that stuff in the spoiler section above, I have to go back to wondering why they insisted on keeping the Starchild character, which they failed to make sense of, instead of simply replacing it with holo-Harbinger and making a more logical and lore-friendly explanation for the Reapers, their motivation and the Crucible, considering they were willing to make certain changes to the endings and even add a new one.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #1635
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Saw this, had to post.

Hi-larious.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #1636
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Where was our great biotic wind war asset?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #1637
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ igy:
spoiler:
But then how can the characters get out of the ship and look off into the horizon heroically?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #1638
logan23
Veteran

Quote:
Saw this, had to post.

Hi-larious.
This is how the Reapers are defeated if you pick the Refusal Choice.

Reaper's just ignore the species,..since were unsure if they were advance enough to harvest.......So in the next cycle----that came back and bit them in the butt.

Great biotic wind for the Win!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1639
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
@ igy:
spoiler:
But then how can the characters get out of the ship and look off into the horizon heroically?
Damn! Totally forgot about that crucial detail! We can't have a proper sense of closure without that.

@Rhett: Just another reason why the Biotic God is awesome.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #1640
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
And had they used the indoctrination theory they would have opened up even bigger plot holes and pretty much proven that the ME series was just lazy amateur writing.
What are you thinking of, specifically?

In my mind, a plothole exists in that in the Arrival DLC,
Show spoiler

Shepard's nightmares also match the description of Reaper indoctrination attempts elsewhere in ME media (oily shadows, reaper growling in the background).

Quote:
Many of the so-called indicator that people have come up with are also signs of head trauma, the kind of trauma you may get from almost being obliterated by a reapers main gun.
...like piles of bodies appearing out of nowhere around the conduit? And Anderson and TIM's shadows defying the light sources in the level?

That's either a hallucination or bad game design (I'm going with the latter).

Also, I find it ridiculous that Shepard could survive anything close to a direct hit from a reaper attack beam. Those things have been shown tearing though Star Destroyer size ships, obliterating buildings, and vaporizing entire squads of soldiers. If anything gets hit by the Destroyer's beam in the last combat level, it's instant death.
That's why I found it reasonable to postulate that it wasn't an attack beam, but an "Indoctrination Beam".

Quote:
I guess bioware should have done a better job showing Shepard was injured. The blood, destroyed armor, slowed movement... just wasn't enough to convince some people and TIM and Starkid pretty either implying or point blank stating that Shepard was not indoctrinated still did not convince people.
People weren't convinced because we though it was a dream. Not believing everything you see in a dream is a reasonable course of action.

As for the plausibility of the possibility, I thought Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were pulling a George Lucas/Empire Strikes Back with the ME3 ending. ESB's plot twist was developed in utmost secrecy, with Mark Hamill only being given the real line just before filming, and told to react accordingly on screen. Not even the rest of the cast/production crew knew about it, because the script they all got had Vader saying "Obi-Wan killed your father.", which is what David Prowse said on set, later to be dubbed over with the actual line by James Earl Jones. By the time the premier came around, only Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Hamill and Jones knew about it.

The result was a significant event in the history of movies. I think the same could have been done with games with ME3, with Bioware stringing fans along to believe one thing, only to blindside them with something else, all the while having laid clues to show that it wasn't just cheap retconning, but planned all along. It could just have been a more intense version of what they did in KotOR 1, with the 'more intense' part being made possible by the advent of DLC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Quote:
I still would love a DLC that touches on the Illusive man's abilities in the final scene and also talk about the concept of Indoctrination in general. I really thing the topic of Indoctrination is something they could do a DLC on with it's own mission/adventure. ( this would not be aimed at the ending- just exploring the concept of it, how it works- hints on how the Illusive man planned to use such abilities)
On the subject of DLC's, I think Bioware needs to be careful. This whole debacle had fans successfully pressuring them into making a DLC, and now, people are calling for DLC this, and DLC that, left and right, for everything. What's worse is that given EA's character, it's very possible that they may make Bioware capitalize on this.

This is bad because sometimes, a story can be ruined by providing more detail to something, which changes the perception of it, which was a dynamic that contributed to the quality of the story. Like with this Leviathan thing. I think it would be better to leave the Reapers as the ambiguous, unknown entities that they are. It makes them more terrifying and alien.

As for the concept of indoctrination, I still think the ideal time to have done it was ME3's ending. As it is, this whole thing with the starchild is one hell of a deus ex machina, and the Indoctrination Theory could have done away with that.

Quote:
I AM HARBINGER
I WILL SHOOT DEATH BEAMS AT YOU
OH, SORRY YOU'RE HAVING A TOUCHING MOMENT?
I AM HARBINGER
I WILL STOP SHOOTING DEATH BEAMS AT YOU FOR THE MOMENT WHILE YOU HAVE A TOUCHING MOMENT
lol

Quote:
Mass Effect has always been a "high production b-grade sci-fi movie" and throughout the trilogy it has managed to represent the three major types of these b-grade sci-fi movies you'd generally see.

There's the boring one but had a really great concept that got a cult following happening. Aka Mass Effect (1).

Then we have the more exciting type which, for a b-grade sci-fi, is seen as being poorly made compared to the boring type but is the most entertaining type to watch. Aka Mass Effect 2.

Finally, there's the movie which doesn't seem to care about its genre and ends up screwing itself up the ass, breaking its own rules which ends up creating a really terrible ending. Aka Mass Effect 3.

BioWare, whether intentional or not, has managed to capture the major types of b-grade sci-fi movies in its Mass Effect trilogy. So whether I personally enjoyed the ending or not doesn't really matter because when I think about Mass Effect in this way, everything makes perfect sense.
Mass Effect may be a b-grade sci-fi movie trilogy, but it's a b-grade trilogy you can be part of. I think that's the reason for ME's success, as opposed to any spectacular quality of writing. It's the emotional engagement of the player with the characters, which Bioware does so well. In this regard, imo it's 'the journey that's more important than the destination' (ie, the playing of the game as opposed to the actual ending), and it's for this reason that I personally will be likely to play these games again.

Quote:

Quote:
It'd also make the "Control" ending meaningless if Reapers can just go rogue.
^agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but for me as i've said, it was about closure; which the EC provides some measure of, which is why these endings works for me, more or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post

Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Quote:
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

it is not a cry of joy.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3