lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Persona 4...any good?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Persona 4...any good?



So I've been living in a steel forge under a rock. Read a bit about the general idea of this series. I suppose I could get into it though I hadn't been following it. Easy to follow if you just start right into it?

Just thinking if I were going to ask for it as a gift for my next birthday. Is it fun to play?

Thanks peeps.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I could write an entire review of the series about how godly it is but I'm fairly sure every self-respecting review will praise the game just as much.

I can't recommend it enough, really. What console are you getting this? The PSVITA version, The Golden? If it is, congrats, I've been meaning to get a Vita just for this game - which is the definitive version.

The series are a bit like Final Fantasy: entries aren't directly related and each has it's own story so P4 is as good as an entry point as any. If you still have a PS2 (haha) or own a PSP, get Persona 3 as well: IMO, the story is even stronger on the third (the PSP version has everything but the ultra-hard storyline that takes place after the main story, which was included on the PS2 FES version. On the plus side you can play the entire game as a female character, which warrants some differences on how the side-stories unfold).


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I could write an entire review of the series about how godly it is but I'm fairly sure every self-respecting review will praise the game just as much.

I can't recommend it enough, really. What console are you getting this? The PSVITA version, The Golden? If it is, congrats, I've been meaning to get a Vita just for this game - which is the definitive version.
Likely the Xbox360. Sorry, don't have Vita nor PS3. That makes me sad inside. (That and I am committed to building a new PC, all while keeping an elephant from christmas last year on my card at bay in the livingroom!!!) So unlikely I'll be making any purchases of my own.

Though it is probably good for me in several respects I am not frivolously spending on even minor things for now and the foreseeable future.


Quote:
The series are a bit like Final Fantasy: entries aren't directly related and each has it's own story so P4 is as good as an entry point as any.
Ah. I never played any Final Fantasy but I at least know THAT much about them. Very helpful.

Quote:
If you still have a PS2 (haha) or own a PSP, get Persona 3 as well: IMO, the story is even stronger on the third (the PSP version has everything but the ultra-hard storyline that takes place after the main story, which was included on the PS2 FES version. On the plus side you can play the entire game as a female character, which warrants some differences on how the side-stories unfold).
Hm. Well I have both systems, actually. Good to know.

I do like replay value indeed, as evidenced by the KOTOR games. It is interesting how gender and species can alter a story. Multifaceted stories are almost always worthwhile. I'm sure some aren't but I haven't met any of those yet!!!

It just seems like nowadays games don't have too much depth. You can always go around to places hosting custom maps and stories by other fans for older games like dungeon masters or avernum (exile, blades of exile, etc.) and find some really good stuff.

Same sort of thing with romhacks to a lesser extent. Dragoon X Omega 1 & 2. DXO 1 based on dragon warrior, DXO 2 based on Final Fantasy 1.
Or the Zero play expansion hack for MegaMan X 3--though this is as much to do with new dialogue as it is about additional gameplay trinkets.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Likely the Xbox360. Sorry, don't have Vita nor PS3. That makes me sad inside. (That and I am committed to building a new PC, all while keeping an elephant from christmas last year on my card at bay in the livingroom!!!) So unlikely I'll be making any purchases of my own.
So, just to be clear, are we talking about the Persona 4 Arena game? It's an entrirely different spinoff that I can't quite comment on (having never played). But most fighting games aficionados agree that it's among the best of its kind.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,229
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
*sees there is a difference*Oh...

Guess I am talking about arena without knowing.

The 360 title is the only thing in a physically close store near me. Though yes, I am a bit of a fighting game aficionado.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Persona 4...any good?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.