lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #481
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
A few people are openly hostile to my Redguard character but most don't seem to mind so far. I'm guessing things are a bit more tricky if you'er an elf.
Yeah, my Bosmer is always catching grief... Get a lot of "YOUR KIND" comments directed towards me.

I want to play a Khajit just to see how they explain letting me in the cities and not the trade caravans. Kinda sucks not having cities with a flavor of races (or treating non-Nord like dirt if they are present).. but I gotta give props to Beth for making me miss it.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #482
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Quote:
I want to play a Khajit just to see how they explain letting me in the cities and not the trade caravans.
Yup. I started to play a Khajiit for just that reason and all I got was: "Stay out of trouble Khajiit." and "What do you want... cat?"

I would welcome a little open hostility from the locals, actually. Kinda wish Beth made a similar system like Bioware in Dragon Age: Origins, i.e. despite being a Warden, you would still be treated as dirt if you're an elf amongst humans.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #483
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
Yup. I started to play a Khajiit for just that reason and all I got was: "Stay out of trouble Khajiit." and "What do you want... cat?"

I would welcome a little open hostility from the locals, actually. Kinda wish Beth made a similar system like Bioware in Dragon Age: Origins, i.e. despite being a Warden, you would still be treated as dirt if you're an elf amongst humans.
Overall it seems like your race matters very little other than the occasional "What do you want little elf?" oneliner from Nord NPCs. Even the Thalmor goons are cackling about elven supremacy and mankind knowing its place while fighting my wood elf.

But I guess most NPCs have better things to do than picking on the weird bosmer that could kill them without lifting a finger.

Speaking of NPC feedback, it would have been a nice touch if the bards in taverns were singing about your feat after finishing the main quest. Vanquishing Alduin, a deity of the Nordic pantheon, does seem like it would be good bards tale material. Sure, they do get a new song after you finish the main quest, but for some reason they're singing about the confrontation between Alduin and Felldir, Hakon and Gormlaith thousands of years ago instead.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #484
Arannor

Current Game: SWTOR
Was wondering which side everyone chose (if they have yet) Imperials or Stormcloaks?

I am undecided right now.

NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #485
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I chose the Imperials because I really dislike Ulfric and his men acting like local, racist bullies. Glory to the Empire!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #486
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed Jedi View Post
Was wondering which side everyone chose (if they have yet) Imperials or Stormcloaks?

I am undecided right now.
I've stayed out of the Civil War entirely on all my characters since neither side has a just cause or sympathetic leadership. No matter which side you'd pick there would be unpleasant consequences.

The Empire:
Seems to be just one step away from total collapse. Rampant corruption, nepotistic rule, the justice system has all but collapsed (they were about to lop your head off without even being accused of anything), having the right connections allows you to get away with anything. Allows the Thalmor to do whatever they want within imperial territories and even lends them a hand on occasion.

If you aid them Maven Black-Briar (the local crime boss) will be installed as Jarl of Riften since she has connections in the Imperial City. (She gets my top vote for #1 NPC to deserve losing her Essential/Unkillable flag.)

The Stormcloaks:
Nord Supremacists, wants to toss out or subjugate all non-Nords in Skyrim. Racists looking down on all who aren't a Nord, which is evident for anyone spending any time talking to people in Windhelm, Ulfric's capital.

After taking back The Reach and Markarth from its native Breton population (who at the time were on the verge of being recognized as a independent kingdom by the Empire) Ulfric ruthlessly persecuted anyone who had cooperated in any way with that kingdom and essentially enslaved the natives, resulting in the forming of the Forsworn movement by survivors who fled into the wilderness. (See the in-game book Bear of Markarth for the history of that.) Ulfric Stormcloak is not a nice guy by any standards. The Greybeards certainly aren't picky who they choose to train in using the Voice.

If you help the Stormcloaks then Thongvor Silver-Blood ends up being Jarl of Markarth. The Silver-Blood family's criminal activities are quite evident in the game, and they look upon the native bretons as little more than slave labor meant to toil in the mines.

So yeah. I'll let them kill each other and then build something new and better on the ashes instead when they're done.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #487
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Current Game: Skyrim
I joined the Stormcloaks with my first character, but next I'm going to stay out of the war and try the negotiating a peace treaty option.

Both sides have reasons for and against, I'm sure one of my characters will work for the empire despite that little "misunderstanding" in the prologue.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade
Laar_Dha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #488
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
My first character went Stormcloaks, purely because he was a Nord. I hate both, though.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #489
Arannor

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laar_Dha View Post
I joined the Stormcloaks with my first character, but next I'm going to stay out of the war and try the negotiating a peace treaty option.

Both sides have reasons for and against, I'm sure one of my characters will work for the empire despite that little "misunderstanding" in the prologue.
Peace Treaty? That's an option? I have not played very far through the main story so I'm guessing this will be a later option. I think I'll go for that because it sounds like both sides need to "kiss and make up".

NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #490
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Think of it more like a "temporary cessation of hostilities", than a full-on "peace treaty".

FWIW, I intentionally do the civil war quest before the main quest just to avoid this part. The writing isn't bad, but it's just one more thing in Skyrim that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #491
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
FWIW, I intentionally do the civil war quest before the main quest just to avoid this part. The writing isn't bad, but it's just one more thing in Skyrim that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Yeah, I thought it was really poorly done. Didn't quite know what was happening or who anyone was talking to.

I went Stormcloaks with my first character pretty much just because he's a Nord and the Empire head cutting attempt and everything. It seems like you can only see how douchey each side is after you join them which is pretty annoying. That said though, I thought the quests were at least good fun.

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #492
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

She has such a beautiful voice.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #493
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

This was so hilarious I had to share it with you guys

View page
YouTube Video

Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #494
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Skyrim Appreciation Thread

Haha Oops duplicate. I do love this game though it is the newest game I have played and I am playing it on my new laptop so the graphics are supreme!

Thanks mods for moving post.

Last edited by 90SK; 01-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.
90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #495
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

1.4 Patch and CK release coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethBlog
The Creation Kit and Steam Workshop are nearly ready. Weíre currently working with members of Valve and our modding community to do some final testing, and weíre on track for a public release near the end of the month.
Source

Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #496
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

ChAiNz, you gotta translate for Bethesda time. "Soon" = about 4 weeks.

EDIT: Just like "very close" = more than 70 days

Last edited by Achilles; 01-19-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #497
Darth333
Administraterror

Oh I hope they fix the bloating issue. Whenever my save gets over 19mb my game crashes in some specific locations. If I manage to lower my save game to about 18.7mb (after eating all my ingredients, food as well as selling all my unused items and sleeping for days and days), everything functions normally again...but I can only do this once or twice as data continues to accumulate Unfortunately it is not clear whether or not they address this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
She has such a beautiful voice.
I'd be nice if we could hear it...I wonder what it would sound like without the excessive reverb?
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #498
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I hope they fix the forsworn quest issue that keeps me from entering markarth now....

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #499
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
I'd be nice if we could hear it...I wonder what it would sound like without the excessive reverb?
Don't pretty much all artists nowadays use tons of sound processing and effects in studio recordings? Doesn't bother me if it fits the song, which I think the kind of ghostly effect it produces does in this case.

(Just makes it troublesome when performing live if you're used to doing a 10 man choir on your own I guess )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
I hope they fix the forsworn quest issue that keeps me from entering markarth now....
What's the Forsworn Quest Issue? Only problem I've experienced with the Forsworn Conspiracy so far is that if I do it after the local crime syndicate (Silver-Blood) has been installed as Jarl the Stormcloak town guards won't stay dead for more than a few days.

(Well, that and my previously unblemished criminal record getting stuck with a "Largest lifetime bounty" stat of 1000 after doing it. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
1.4 Patch and CK release coming soon!
Very nice. A shame it took this long though, if it had been available during the christmas holidays I'd have had more time to play around with the construction kit. Still got some modding done, but doing it low-level with FO3 TESsnip and an incomplete NifSkope is rather bothersome.

I just hope they've tested this patch properly too so it doesn't cause more problems than it solves, like the earlier ones. Maybe I can finally take Steam out of Offline Mode then and upgrade from Skyrim v1.1.21

Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #500
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
ChAiNz, you gotta translate for Bethesda time. "Soon" = about 4 weeks.

EDIT: Just like "very close" = more than 70 days
True enough

Soonô

supposedly before the end of the month.. so they have about 11 days to prove themselves liars

Still.. I hope it's relatively soonô

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #501
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I just figured I'd drop this here.

View page
YouTube Video

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #502
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
I just figured I'd drop this here.
I'm seeing a trend here...

View page
YouTube Video

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #503
Drunkside
Satanīs little helper

Went with the Stormcloaks because
1) The Imperials were asses
2) It kind of gave me Winter War vibes fighting for the independence of a nordic country
3) I dont like being sentenced to death for no reason

I was very dissappointed when it turned out the Stormies were racist, white power retards and i couldnt just kill everyone...

Saivoīs New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #504
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
I'm seeing a trend here...

View page
YouTube Video

yay!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #505
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
I got this game just before Christmas, in expectation of the new gaming computer I knew my brother was looking into getting for me. The thing is a beast, especially compared to the other computers I've owned in my life - I've never been able to play a game sooner than a year, even a year and a half, after its original release. So I knew that the first game I played on it had to be one that would blow away anything I'd played before. I believe I chose well.

I chose Imperial as my race, though at the time I was entirely ignorant of base stat boosts and such. My playstyle is called Spellsword, according to a friend of mine who has the official strategy guide: I wear heavy armour (Legendary Daedric, if you're curious), use a sword in one hand (also Legendary Daedric, if I'm not fighting a dragon; Dragonbane if I am) and expert level Destruction Magic in the other.

I joined the Stormcloaks for no other reason than I hate the Thalmor. With a burning passion. I slaughter any I find on the road. It's worth the ~300 septim bribe I hand out to any nearby guards afterwards, just to see those arrogant sods dead. I did find Windhelm's population a disappointment, though, in their random bigotry. Next time I plan on avoiding the civil war sidestory entirely, to be honest. As well as the Dark Brotherhood storyarch, which I've found fairly feable so far to be honest.

My next character will likely be a complete shift in play style. I'll likely go with a Khajit, to take advantage of their stealth and theiving bonuses. Looking forward to it, especially once I get it high enough in level to justify going for the Nightingale armour.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #506
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I joined the Stormcloaks for no other reason than I hate the Thalmor. With a burning passion.
Both sides hate the Thalmor equally, and as a true son of Cyrodiil, I have no problem with both serving the Legion, and slaughtering Thalmor.

Also, something doesn't look quite right about Fluttershy-Alduin.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #507
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
I joined the Stormcloaks for no other reason than I hate the Thalmor. With a burning passion. I slaughter any I find on the road. It's worth the ~300 septim bribe I hand out to any nearby guards afterwards, just to see those arrogant sods dead.
There are thankfully several ways to kill Thalmor without getting a bounty on your head. In most cases you can just talk to them and ask what's wrong with worshipping Talos and they'll attack you first, allowing you to put them out of their misery without getting any bounty.

Also, if you join the Companions in Whiterun and advance far enough in that plotline to be invited into The Circle, you can...
Show spoiler

And there's also the classic Elder Scrolls method of being allowed to kill someone without being considered a criminal, the Frenzy line of Illusion spells. If they don't see you while you cast the spell it won't affect your criminal record, and they'll attack you (and each other) first, allowing you to kill them without legal consequences.

All handy tools for putting down any Thalmor you encounter.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #508
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Both sides hate the Thalmor equally, and as a true son of Cyrodiil, I have no problem with both serving the Legion, and slaughtering Thalmor.
True, but the Empire isn't in any hurry to stand up to the Thalmor either. I'm pretty sure it was Mahatma Gandhi who said: "To believe something, but not live it, is dishonest".

Quote:
There are thankfully several ways to kill Thalmor without getting a bounty on your head. In most cases you can just talk to them and ask what's wrong with worshipping Talos and they'll attack you first, allowing you to put them out of their misery without getting any bounty.
I'll have to try that next time - I've just been attacking them on sight, to be honest.

Quote:
Also, if you join the Companions in Whiterun and advance far enough in that plotline to be invited into The Circle, you can...
Show spoiler
I have completed the Companions quest, actually. And I mean completed completed - I've already rid myself of their little secret.

Quote:
And there's also the classic Elder Scrolls method of being allowed to kill someone without being considered a criminal, the Frenzy line of Illusion spells. If they don't see you while you cast the spell it won't affect your criminal record, and they'll attack you (and each other) first, allowing you to kill them without legal consequences.
I've used so little Illusion magic that I haven't even seen a Frenzy spelltome yet, to be honest. Or if I have, I've entirely forgotten it. I pretty much only use Destruction, with the occasional Magelight from Alteration when I'm in a dark enough area (Blackreach, for example).

Thanks for the tips, though. I'll definitely have to try egging them into attacking me first.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #509
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
True, but the Empire isn't in any hurry to stand up to the Thalmor either. I'm pretty sure it was Mahatma Gandhi who said: "To believe something, but not live it, is dishonest".
True, but
spoiler:
If you break into the Embassy, you'll see that while the Thalmor want the Civil War to go on as long as possible, they do consider a Stormcloak victory preferable to an Imperial one.

Also, Ulfric is their unwitting puppet.

And I see it as both the Empire and the Thalmor playing the long game against each other.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #510
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
I'll just join the bandwagon of posting relevant videos...

View page
YouTube Video

Gav's a freaking musical genius. Take a look at his other stuff.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #511
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
I've used so little Illusion magic that I haven't even seen a Frenzy spelltome yet, to be honest. Or if I have, I've entirely forgotten it. I pretty much only use Destruction, with the occasional Magelight from Alteration when I'm in a dark enough area (Blackreach, for example).
I *think* Riverwood has a frenzy spell you can buy.. if not, definitely Whiterun mage.

I'm with stoffe on the use with Frenzy. I never really used it much in the other ES games, but something about it just feels right with Skyrim and it's my goto, default spell I have armed at most times (could also be that I'm a squishy rogue so it helps thin the numbers)

Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #512
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanlord56 View Post
I'll just join the bandwagon of posting relevant videos...

View page
YouTube Video

Gav's a freaking musical genius. Take a look at his other stuff.
I think I saw something on Facebook about him collaborating with Malukah on another Skyrim song.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #513
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
I think I saw something on Facebook about him collaborating with Malukah on another Skyrim song.
Indeed they are.

On the killing Thalmor: I don't give a second thought on killing them. I don't even worry about the criminal consequences; I almost never get a bounty for when I do kill them. But in the event that I do, I always have enough gold to pay it off.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #514
MsFicwriter

Current Game: Arcanum
Roleplayer 
I am trying to download Skyrim from a service called GameFly, but it never works!!! ((
MsFicwriter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #515
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Fury > Frenzy

Just sayin'

Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #516
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFicwriter View Post
I am trying to download Skyrim from a service called GameFly, but it never works!!! ((
I'd recommend eliminating the middleman and just buying it right off Steam.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #517
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

I recommend waiting until after the CK is out and the community has released the first unofficial patch.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #518
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Happy Modding Day! Creation Kit, Skyrim Workshop, High-Res Texture Pack released!
They've also started uploading their Tutorial series on YouTube. (3) so far each over 10 minutes long. (links on source page).

Source

While excited, it's a bit on the late side.
Started ToR to fill in the downtime gap and well.. ToR rocks, so sorry Beth. Maybe when I return to Skyrim in a few weeks. Then again, ME3 is right around the corner..

Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #519
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
will be picking up PC version. wish I didn't go with 360 one.

Me wantz DLC though

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #520
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
While excited, it's a bit on the late side.
Started ToR to fill in the downtime gap and well.. ToR rocks, so sorry Beth. Maybe when I return to Skyrim in a few weeks. Then again, ME3 is right around the corner..
And Max Payne 3 is right around the corner after that. Fall and winter are already dedicated to GTA V and South Park respectively.

Maybe the DLC (along with a few community patches) may entice me to come back if I have downtime between games this summer, but I suspect that ship has sailed.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5