Thread: Troopers are pretty boss
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #41
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
I've noticed a couple of times that my Trooper calls his superiors that are women, 'Sir'. Is this intentional or a dialogue screw up?
It's intentional. In most real and fictional (Starfleet, for instance) armed forces you are required to call an officer 'Sir' regardless of gender.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
In a military structure, it is appropriate to refer to a female officer that outranks you as either 'sir' or 'ma'am'. If she prefers to be called one or the other, she'll let you know.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Intentional. The codex actually says that in the military, you refer to your superiors as "sir" despite their sex or gender... since there are species that are neither male or female.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
But the actual reasoning behind that is they didn't want to record extra VA with "ma'am"...

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Actually there are several moments in the game where I've encountered different dialogue for males and females. For example, all throughout Alderaan my Marauder, Silvana was called "My Lady" instead of "My Lord" and I've encountered other similar things where the dialogue is obviously different depending on your sex.

If it really was an excuse, they wouldn't have all of those other alternative pieces of dialogue which are very frequent.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
With a smuggler they are always talking about how pretty my toon is. I really hope it isn't the same dialogue with a male smuggler.

Noticed the "Sirs" with my tropper, but it hasn't really bothered me.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #47
Scorge
Jedi Protector

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
I've noticed a couple of times that my Trooper calls his superiors that are women, 'Sir'.?
Years ago, when star wars the clone wars came out, (I don't like it anymore) I noticed the clones called Ashoka "Sir" even though she is a girl. So I guess it's just something Troopers call women,

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #48
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObiWan View Post
Years ago, when star wars the clone wars came out, (I don't like it anymore) I noticed the clones called Ashoka "Sir" even though she is a girl. So I guess it's just something Troopers call women,
You mean "superiors" (as Jedi, regardless of gender, would be considered "superior officers" to the troopers).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #49
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Not my trooper, she eats Jedi for breakfast and then ask for seconds.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
I just got my ship and am preparing to leave Coruscant. Just one question though... do you think it's a bit pretentious of me to nickname my ship "The Clap"?

LOL!
That's what my friend calls his ship.

I'm leveling my commando with his vanguard plus a sage and guardian. Leveling in a group of 4 with two of them having Mortar Volley only accents how truely awesome Troopers are. Walk into a room full of non-elites? Room asplodes and the Sage & Knight are picking up the scraps.

Having way too much fun as a Commando...

The other day I decided I was far too amazing for normal armor and was in need of a cape so I purchased an orange JK piece with extra Tat Commendations and outfitted it with Aim Mods. I'm officially the caped crusader and it's friggin awesome.

Cape + Massive Double Barrel Cannon + Big explosions = Pure Nirvana

Troopers are pretty dang boss.

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #51
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not my trooper, she eats Jedi for breakfast and then ask for seconds.
Jedi or sith? Since I'm not playing yet, wasn't sure whether republic charahcters killed other reps in an mmo or not.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #52
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Jedi or sith? Since I'm not playing yet, wasn't sure whether republic charahcters killed other reps in an mmo or not.
Heh, I think that was just in a manner of speaking. I think you can only fight another player from your faction through a duel. That and I think it was Huttball where same-faction teams are pitted against each other?

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #53
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Bioware does seem to have an annoying penchant for fighting traitorous members of your own faction, so I wouldn't be surprised if Troopers got to fight "rogue" Jedi at some point, be it in the class storyline or in the factional planet side-quests.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Just joking, haven't fought any Jedi, or Sith for that matter as a Trooper. Only experience with the Jedi or Sith have been with my smuggler and then I was fighting with the Jedi against the Sith.

Killed many Sith since then, but haven't messed with Jedi since. Oh, during that battle, it was Mav's Gunslinger and Lynk's Trooper that got me past that class quest. The Jedi was even more useless than me.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Origin Worlds > Troopers are pretty boss