lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Could TOR lead to HD editions of the KOTOR games?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Henz

Could TOR lead to HD editions of the KOTOR games?

God I hope so.

While chances of KOTOR 3 are dead in the water, the success of TOR could potentially lead to a rerelease of the original games with enhanced graphics and maybe even a restoration for TSL. I would LOVE that.

HD anniversary editions are becoming a bit of a trend now, what do you guys think?

Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Maybe, but I find it unlikely.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Red Hessian

Current Game: Oblivion
Doubtful. There will more likely be an expansion for TOR or a brand new MMO before KotOR with enhanced graphics, let alone a remake of TSL. Unfortunately.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Nope.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
You never know, look at serious sam, 2 hd games. But yeah, its very likely no sadley.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Just remember: it's LucasArts. And because it's LucasArts, they will find a way to mess something up. It's their lot in life as a company.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
JediExile
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
I've been talking to a friend about this. I'm actually surprised they didn't re-release the games. I mean, it's another way to cash in with SWTOR being out now.

Revenge of Revan || Deadly Streams || Follow me on Twitter!

"Hey! You talk to her with a bit of respect in your voice or you'll end this conversation minus a few teeth! Got it?" -Carth Onasi
"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it." -Atton Rand

JediExile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Oh I certainly hope so, that would be lots of fun to play!

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I doubt it. These are the folks that (allegedly) put the kibosh on a content patch for TSL so what does that tell you?

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Bioware are more concerned with the fact that their MMO isnt an MMO, and people are un-subbing left and right.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Well I guess I could see it happening, but of course I'd still rather have KOTOR III, but this could appease me for a while maybe.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Bioware are more concerned with the fact that their MMO isnt an MMO, and people are un-subbing left and right.
Could you expand on that, or provide some links? I've tried googling, but I couldn't find anything about the game being abandoned by players.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
The short answer is no. This is not going to happen.

People are mixing up Lucas arts the games publisher with Lucas films.

It is much easier to make a movie bump up to HD or enhance it then to go back and make kotor1/2 HD. Games are more likely to break if you play with them. Since the new operating systems on the computer sometimes have issues with running an old game like kotor1/2 I can only see that they would gave to tweak and update the game which = money.

On top of that the two kotor games are by different developers so they could not even make a deal with bioware to do something like HD and hid the cost.

Film and games have two different business plans.

We might see future games in the time line of the old republic but not made by bioware, will be another game developer.

I personally never heard of a game being updated line this when the game is several years old.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
Mr Roboto
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
I personally never heard of a game being updated line this when the game is several years old.
Not that I think KOTOR will get a remake, but FFX is getting a HD remake.
Mr Roboto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
What about Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary? Isn't that just a HD remake of the original game?

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Could you expand on that, or provide some links? I've tried googling, but I couldn't find anything about the game being abandoned by players.
Just check the general discussion in the official forums.. Supporters are claiming its just the Vocal minority, but there are hundreds of threads saying "This game sucks", "Why Tor is broken", "Tor will fail", "Un-subbed" "Bye Bye" etc
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Here.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Astor
It's Thornhill!

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Just check the general discussion in the official forums.. Supporters are claiming its just the Vocal minority, but there are hundreds of threads saying "This game sucks", "Why Tor is broken", "Tor will fail", "Un-subbed" "Bye Bye" etc
Hundreds still doesn't mean the game is a failure, and most of them are based on personal opinion.

It's still far too early to determine whether the game is a success or not, even if a few trolls on the TOR forums (and those forums are god-awful as it is) think everyone should bow down to their superior judgement.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

who said its a failure? not me Mr I'll admit sadly, that I canceled my account last friday though.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You didn't like it, I take it?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

The main reason is my Expectations were too high, But with it only being a month old, there are tens of things I need in the game before I can justify a monthly fee.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
I think Bathesda is the next logical choice in the progression of awesomeness for new games. If they make a KoTOR era RPG with combat and gameplay choices as expansive as Skyrim, they will make a killing for sure. I would kill for lightsaber combat in keeping with that tier of graphics and gameplay quality!

Or, hey, remake the first two KoTOR games in that style. THAT would be where the true money is to be made, and where LucaArts surely is not yet brave enough to go, but the true moneymaker is to remake games I believe they would sell like wildfire.

Haha they should've remade TieFighter ages ago but the pro is they can still do it and it'll be wicked sick.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
@adamqd---what would you like to see, specifically, that you feel is missing from TOR?

Also, given how Lucas films and others (think James Bond series, etc..) have cleaned up by rereleasing the same movie tweaked and with extras, it really shouldn't be beyond the pale for a game company to rerelease an extremely popular game with a ready fanbase waiting to spend their money. I'd consider getting several other games if their graphics were updated (think HL and maybe even SWDF and DN3D:AE).....once the price dropped to <$US20 pretax.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman

Last edited by Totenkopf; 01-16-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
@adamqd---what would you like to see, specifically, that you feel is missing from TOR?
The way they instance/shard the game up in to sections means there is not a "Massive Multiplayer" feel, the most people I see are the 16 people in the Warzone. which leads me to another thing, 3 warzones and an imbalanced factional presence in the open worlds, makes PVP a minigame at best.

MMO stuff aside, I need an Appearance tab, and a Barber shop lol, I want to be able to have my Character look different to every other smuggler I come across, I know they have made it so lower level stuff can be modded but it rarely has the prerequisites to bring the armor rating up to par with high level gear; which whether it be PVE or PVP orientated, its not up to the job.

I will happily re-sub in the future, but its kind of a sub-par RPG, and a sub-par MMO put together at the Moment.

Regardless of my Love for KotOR and RPG's, if its an MMO I want to afk grind to end game and raid with badass gear, Story isn't on my mind. If I go to a dance club I'm gonna order a Jaeger-bomb and hit the dancefloor, not get a coffee and read a book at the corner table.
(I of course knew this game was trying something new with the fourth pillar stuff, but I didn't realize how little I would enjoy it)

There are other small things I dislike, but I'd rather not sully a KotOR III thread with it hehe.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Could TOR lead to HD editions of the KOTOR games?