Thread: TOR vs KotOR
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

TOR vs KotOR

So I haven't been on these forums in 2 years, but now I'm back, and I figured I'd share some thoughts on my TOR experience thus far. These forums are slow, but to be honest, the SWTOR forums are too busy for me. Plus I have always liked the personalities here, so here's where I'll share thoughts.

I should start by saying that I am a huge TOR fan, in general. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition as soon as it was available (the one that came with the Malgus statue), and installed it right away. I am new to MMORPGs, so I have no basis of comparison in that regard. Also, I solo play (PVE) about 95% of the time, and I mostly care about the class story more than anything else. So for me, it makes sense to compare my experience with KotOR over anything else - though I understand it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

So, as much as I love TOR, it has not been as gratifying for me as KotOR was (both KotOR I and II, which I played back-to-back on the XBox). KotOR had me constantly itching to play more. The story was captivating and I loved every second of it. I don't get the same sense of gratification from the TOR storyline, though I do still enjoy it (especially the call-backs to KotOR era people/plotlines).

I do prefer the fighting sequences in TOR over KotOR. The real-time fights are more fun, I think, as opposed to the pausing and queuing that KotOR utilized. I also love that every conversation has recorded dialogue, which provides a more immersive experience.

I have played TOR for a lot more hours than I played KotOR, and I still have a strong desire to play (a desire not matched in my actual availability to play). Perhaps I'm waxing nostalgic when I think about my time with KotOR. Or maybe I'm biased because in KotOR I was working toward an end goal (completion of the game), whereas in TOR there isn't the same payoff. What am I working toward? Nothing, I guess - I just enjoy playing the game enough to keep forking over $15 a month to be a subscriber, even though there are some months I don't play at all.

Anyone else's thoughts on their experience of TOR vs KotOR (1 and/or 2)?

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > TOR vs KotOR