lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How to play GF 2012
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
jennymorelli
Lurker

How to play GF 2012

Hi, I played this game LONG time ago and I miss it and want to be able to play it again. Is there a new version for it suitable for faster computers? RSVP Jenny , Stockholm Sweden.
jennymorelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

No, there is no new version as such. And it can be tricky to install the game on a newer computer, but there are a couple of tools to make that easier. First is the Quick and Easy Grim Fandango installer/launcher which works better than the original in installing, patching and launching the game. There is another installer which does essentially the same job although I haven't ever used it, so technically I can't recommend it (although I also know of nothing against it).

Another option is Residual, which is kind of like ScummVM (and was originally a ScummVM subproject). It's an interpreter for Grim Fandango, replacing the original executable and requiring only the game data files. Residual is a better option because it is new software and runs better on a newer computer than the game's now-fourteen-year-old executable, but Residual hasn't even yet reached beta status. The game is completely playable, but there are a lot of mostly-graphical glitches, although there don't seem to be any more show-stoppers. It's also a little tougher to set up the game than using one of the new installers, but if you happen to be familiar with ScummVM then you already have the basic idea of what's involved with Residual.
MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Gownaar
Rookie

When someone takes the trouble to write such an informative reply, you really should at least say thanks.
Gownaar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gownaar View Post
When someone takes the trouble to write such an informative reply, you really should at least say thanks.
How do you know that he has seen the reply already?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Gownaar
Rookie

Well, i guess you're right, i don't, i just suppose that if you post a question rsvp, you won't go 3 days before checking for answers. I apologize to jennymorelli in advance if was wrong.
Gownaar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
MeddlingMonk
Veteran

As the person who wrote the reply, I'm not bothered. Really. Now, if you'll excuse, I have some pitiful sobbing to attend to.

MeddlingMonk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > How to play GF 2012