lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: A Petition to obsidian and bioware.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Darth Sapiens
Rookie

Current Game: tslrcm
Exclamation A Petition to obsidian and bioware.

hey guys i just mad a petition to oe and bioware for some real tools and the sdk
help spread the word and you can sign anonymously

you can sign it here

i figured with raven releasing the jk games source, this is the best time to make our voices heard.
Darth Sapiens is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
For starters, it has nothing to do with Obsidian. Bioware, i.e. EA, own the Odyssey engine. Obsidian only used it under licence.

Source code is not an SDK. Raven made it very clear as such with the release of the JK2/3 source code. What you are asking for is something entirely different. You want EA to devote resources (i.e. spend money) to actively develop a toolset for an engine that has been defunct for nigh on a decade, suitable for public use (which they would have to do, there's nothing they can just release that would be usable as-is by the general public). You need to be realistic. It's not going happen.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Darth Sapiens
Rookie

we all want the source released with the original game development tools. why obsidian? some file formats differ between Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 (dlg's and model files come to mind) so I thought obsidian must
have used slightly newer tools, I am not sure whether bioware updated them for OE or OE did themselves. really they already have programs made for the game development, even if they released a few it could do wonders. the point of the petition is to make bioware and OE of what we want, its to try at least. don't get me wrong I'm not unrealistic, but I believe in trying things before deeming it impossible. why create this petition?
why the heck not? if there is a chance something comes of it, even remote as you might feel, it costs nothing, there is no risk of loss, but there is a chance of gain.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Vindikorr
Rookie

Current Game: TOR
Quick question.

Does EA own OE as well as Bioware, I don't think they do. If not, surely they own the rights to at least the source code for tsl. I'm guessing the Odyssey engine was built in house by Bioware, so will now be owned by EA, and of course they won't release it, and OE have no control over that, but as has been proven by the release of JK source code, there's no reason to believe OE might think about releasing it.

I agree that it's too ambitious to expect an SDK and we won't get the engine from EA. If you look through the source code for JK there really isn't much you can do with it without the engine. Nevertheless, kotor has much better modding tools, so the source on its own could potentially be very useful.
Vindikorr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
RPK
Banned

Obisidian can't, Bioware don't Exists anymore and now is Mythic, and they'll don't give us SDK, caus EA...
RPK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Darth Sapiens
Rookie

lol I agree ea is pretty uptight, but i also think again we should try. don't get me wrong, I am not counting on this succeeding, but no harm done by asking.

Last edited by Darth Sapiens; 04-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
It would be great if they release the Source Code but I agree that they can't give out tools from development of the game- there are to many legal issues with the SDK.

If you want OE to give out this code- simply have everyone go to the owners of OE- and mention what Raven did and ask if they would consider releasing the source code. Tweeter is your friend :-)

Also it might be good to talk to Devs in OE to see how they feel- could build leverage.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
OEI is an independent company, owned by its founders; as I recall, there's about five of them. They aren't affiliated with EA or any other larger company, as far as I know.

Not that this changes anything; DarthParametric is right, this has pretty much a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Vindikorr
Rookie

Hi, I just tweeted Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Thought it was worth a try

My WIP: The Liberation of Manaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalbiscuit
Can tell it's been a busy day, 121 Chrome tabs open
28.04428% on the geek test

Bile Beans keep you healthy, bright-eyed and slim
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
logan23
Veteran

If we did get the Source Code- what will this mean for kotor2 modding??

Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Darth Sapiens
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
If we did get the Source Code- what will this mean for kotor2 modding??
well i think if we got the source, we could better understand how to do bump mapping for one, we could make more script codes, add better wide screen support, possibly add features like hdr, the list goes on and on.
really even if they dont release the sdk, the only parts i really want is what ever they used for modules, their tpc converter and their model tools.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
logan23
Veteran

I don't think they will release the SDK.

Just source code.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
They won't release either, assuming they still even have them, because neither company has the legal right to do so.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Darth Sapiens
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
They won't release either, assuming they still even have them, because neither company has the legal right to do so.
neither has the right? I thought bioware (ea) owned Odyssey. and Lucasarts isn't in the way anymore, raven did so with there stuff and that was based off of id tech 3 (owned by Id soft iirc)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
logan23
Veteran

I think you reach out to the people who gas the power- they might but if they don't - could be due to legal

Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You need to stop comparing this to the JK2/3 source. A couple of things regarding that. First, both games were built on a modified version of the Quake 3 engine, which is now open source. Second, all source is going to give you is anything proprietary that they added to the engine - for the rest, you need the actual engine source/SDK. Third, the JK2/3 source has now been pulled from SourceForge, presumably because some lawyers sent Raven a "WTF?" letter.

Concerning LucasArts, the fact that Disney scrapped future game development/publishing under that banner does not suddenly mean that it's a free-for-all as far as rights go. All Star Wars IP belongs to LucasFilm/LucasArts/Disney, and all previous and existing 3rd party licences to use that IP are still in effect. Nothing is any different now from what it was a month or two ago.

Edit: And yeah, there's your answer from Obsidian: https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/321845728173490176

Last edited by DarthParametric; 04-10-2013 at 02:59 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Vindikorr
Rookie

Well that's the end of that one then

My WIP: The Liberation of Manaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalbiscuit
Can tell it's been a busy day, 121 Chrome tabs open
28.04428% on the geek test

Bile Beans keep you healthy, bright-eyed and slim
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > A Petition to obsidian and bioware.