lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Heterochromia
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
JCarter426

Heterochromia

Recently I did some hex editing to remove a character's eyes. During the process, I discovered that the eyes are in fact individual objects, so it's possible to remove only one eye. I did this by replacing the texture (in this case PFHC05.tga) with an invisible one (JC_Inv.tga, a solid white texture with an all black alpha channel and a blending additive .txi). This got me thinking that it should be possible to retexture parts of a head without all that mucking about in 3ds Max. One could, for example, change the color of one eye. However, whenever I try that, it simply reverts to the default texture. This is rather baffling, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Recently I did some hex editing to remove a character's eyes. During the process, I discovered that the eyes are in fact individual objects, so it's possible to remove only one eye. I did this by replacing the texture (in this case PFHC05.tga) with an invisible one (JC_Inv.tga, a solid white texture with an all black alpha channel and a blending additive .txi). This got me thinking that it should be possible to retexture parts of a head without all that mucking about in 3ds Max. One could, for example, change the color of one eye. However, whenever I try that, it simply reverts to the default texture. This is rather baffling, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
I don't know which head is which by the name, but I would assume that if the texture has two eyes, you'd have to edit the UVW-map to make one a separate texture. I personally have no idea how to do this, but it makes me wonder if someone could translate the hex using a tool and edit it in human-speak?

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Perhaps the game is reverting the texture because the other eye is still using the old one? You could try making both eyes have unique textures. Granted, it doesn't make sense that the eye being made invisible would work, while changing color would not but I've often found KotOR modding leads to its share of strange and illogical problems.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
If you edit the UV-Map carefully, it is possible to have a character with two separate eye textures/colors.

In fact, here's a successful in-game test that I did back in early '09, using the default Mekel head as a base. (I may have accidentally withheld that information since then. )
Show spoiler

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
JCarter426

Yeah, but I don't want to muck about in 3ds Max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
Perhaps the game is reverting the texture because the other eye is still using the old one? You could try making both eyes have unique textures. Granted, it doesn't make sense that the eye being made invisible would work, while changing color would not but I've often found KotOR modding leads to its share of strange and illogical problems.
Tried that, still reverts to the original texture.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Perhaps it sets the eye textures to whatever the main head texture is? You could try changing that and see if the eyes switch to it. If so then I would think a UV edit is the only option.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
^This man is correct. Because of Heads.2da, it always applies the texture that is in that slot. It's the same for body models.

Sithspecter is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
JCarter426

Then how is it that I managed to make the eyes invisible? I've done it with body parts, too.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Heterochromia