lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014

Quote:
Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.
View page
YouTube Video

Source: http://starwars.com/news/new-animate...fall-2014.html

Interesting... wonder what this means for the live-action TV series prospects...

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
At least they are not focusing on the sequel era, which I was afraid of.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
I'm curious about what art style they're going for. Are they going for the cartoony/comic-ish style they used in The Clone Wars? A more realistic and gritty style? Somewhere in between? Something else entirely?
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanlord56 View Post
Are they going for the cartoony/comic-ish style they used in The Clone Wars?
I hope so. It looks good and doesn't age fast.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
So how does this affect The Force Unleashed storyline?

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I believe it won't. We may even see some of those events from someone else's perspective.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I believe it won't. We may even see some of those events from someone else's perspective.
wait how could you have a story about the Rebels and not have it include the person that most helped to create the Rebel Alliance. Hell the symbol of the Rebellion is Starkiller's family crest. As far as I am concern they can destroy any semblance of canon from The Force Unleashed. It will just make me more likely to watch this.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I'm curious about what art style they're going for. Are they going for the cartoony/comic-ish style they used in The Clone Wars? A more realistic and gritty style? Somewhere in between? Something else entirely?
I hope it's something more like the style seen in TOR's cinematic trailers.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
VentureBeat has an article that postulates on the possible gaming tie-ins for this new series.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/20/st...he-clone-wars/

I don't get Disney XD and am not sure that I will want to pay more than I already do for my cable TV. It will probably depend on the Star Wars Rebels series premiere which will apparently air as a 1-hour episode on Disney Channel (which I do get) before it makes the move to Disney XD. I have to admit I'm excited to see X-wings and TIE fighters again.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
I hope it's something more like the style seen in TOR's cinematic trailers.
It won't.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Quote:
If I had to make a guess I'm gonna say there going to use the same cartoon animation program used in Disney XD's Max Steel.

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Time to overwrite that fanon!

Liking the idea for this show!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The Rebellion era? Awesome! Sign me up.

Good to see that Filoni still has a job.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
It won't.
I know it's a long shot since it'll be airing on Disney Channel and Disney XD, and the primary audience of those two channels is children, but have they made any concrete announcement specifically stating they won't have a style at least similar to that?

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
The thing is though, many Jedi weren't around during the "Rebellion" era... and that's what the kids want and are expecting.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
The thing is though, many Jedi weren't around during the "Rebellion" era... and that's what the kids want and are expecting.
"takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."

I believe we'll see Jedi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
I know it's a long shot since it'll be airing on Disney Channel and Disney XD
It has nothing to do with the channel it will be airing. That type of animation is simply too expensive to use on a full fledged movie, let alone a TV series. That's why it's only used on trailers and ads due to their short nature.

Besides, I'm not seeing them waste the amount of assets they've created with TCW. The style of the series is already a trademark of Lucasfilm Animation.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Col_Zechs
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars the Old Republic
Looking forward to this. Hope the animation style isn't kiddy like and is gritty and more mature looking. It would be cool if they have the Mad Jedi Joruus C' Baoth in it.

Col_Zechs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
"takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape."

I believe we'll see Jedi.
Indeed, but I'm afraid the kiddies are going to expect it to be like the Clone Wars show.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Indeed, but I'm afraid the kiddies are going to expect it to be like the Clone Wars show.
Boy are they going to be surprised when they see Jedi being cut down like the animals they are. (Empire Forever! )

At least it's not the Clone Wars, for once. I might be one board for this.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 

Quote:
Star Wars Rebels Executive Producer Dave Filoni pulled back the curtain on Lucasfilm's highly anticipated animated series for Star Wars Celebration Europe attendees today, discussing the huge influence of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie on the look and feel of the show, and revealing the series' unique logo and select designs.

Filoni talked at length about the use of McQuarrie art as a springboard for the series, showcasing many works from the original trilogy, including landscapes and characters, and detailing how they inform the visual identity of Star Wars Rebels.

For Star Wars Rebels, fans were given their first look at the Ghost, which will be the main character's ship and play a big part in the series, as well as a computer rendering of a very McQuarrie-esque Stormtrooper, the interior of a Star Destroyer, and more. The show's logo, a minimalist yet powerful design, is notable for its orange and black color scheme, which recalls the flight suit colors of Rebel pilots in the original Star Wars trilogy.

While unable to attend in person, Executive Producers Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman shared their excitement for the series in a video message recorded specifically for Celebration attendees.

The series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. It takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Rebels Panel - Liveblog

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post

At least it's not the Clone Wars, for once. I might be one board for this.
Agreed. It was never the quality of the Clone War's tv show, it was the fact that there is literally more Clone War's era content available than even the film era's its getting old, boring and overlapping. time for something new. And the McQuarrie influence has sealed the deal for me regardless of future canon gaffs and childish crap.

Looking forward to it!

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
HED
Rookie

Hopefully they'll be less gung-ho about blatantly contradicting established canon. Though I'm not exactly optimistic about that.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Super excited for this, just wish Clone Wars could continue as well. I'm hoping they at least finish up the story arcs they had in mind for Clone Wars and put them out somehow, with of course having a dvd/bluray release of it

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
maltron66
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Bologna View Post
Super excited for this, just wish Clone Wars could continue as well. I'm hoping they at least finish up the story arcs they had in mind for Clone Wars and put them out somehow, with of course having a dvd/bluray release of it
Totally agree with you on this one. I'm sure the new show will be great, but shouldn't they finish the old project before starting something new?

P.S. I hope they'll make a KOTOR era show eventually... And I know I'm not the only one...
maltron66 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
At least they are not focusing on the sequel era, which I was afraid of.
Nope. We'll have the new movie trilogy to tear everything we've ever known and loved about that era to pieces. This new cartoon with do that with the Dark Times era, as the previous cartoon has done with the Clone Wars era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerimar Nyliram View Post
Nope. We'll have the new movie trilogy to tear everything we've ever known and loved about that era to pieces. This new cartoon with do that with the Dark Times era, as the previous cartoon has done with the Clone Wars era.
I never cared about EU canon controversies. The EU was always secondary in terms of relevance, thus the whole canon hierarchy.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Yes, but for many of us, especially those of us who grew up in the '90s, the EU was every bit Star Wars that the movies were. To continue the stories of our beloved characters in written (novels/comics) or interactive (video games) format? Bro, it was a prayer answered! These great many authors and multimedia creators crafted a network that enriched and deepened what the movies laid down as the groundwork, and it's a shame that the people at Lucas Film have no respect for what they've done in these latest times.

Whether you like what they have produced or not, you need to respect not only their efforts, but the special places they've occupied in fans' hearts. I personally prefer the EU to the movies, but that's just me.

Quote:
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I don't mind if the EU is rewritten... just as long as the best of it is retained in some way.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Yes, I actually agree with that. Rather, I'd personally be a little more strict about it and say that I'd prefer that all major events and establishments remain in place; but if retcons here or there need to take place, or a novel or two needs to be removed from canon, that's fine. As long as the main structure stays in place, I'll be happy.

For example, removing the entire Yuuzhan Vong War from canon would be going too far, in my opinion; but if it turns out that events need to be drastically altered to fit the new timeline, that's fine. I tolerated and even welcomed such a thing with The Clone Wars until it started getting ridiculous. Glad George Lucas isn't in charge anymore, but I don't know if Disney will be any more considerate.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #30
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Glad George Lucas isn't in charge anymore, but I don't know if Disney will be any more considerate.
I don't think they will be, but it will probably be more out of apathy than Lucas' sense of entitlement.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I know Dave Filoni has stated in a "Rebels" Panel at Celebration Europe II, that he will be keeping his distance from EU characters this time around, as he doesn't want to create a S***storm like he did with Even Piell, Mando's, Quin, Ryloth etc (I'm Paraphrasing of course)

Regarding the EU vs the Sequel trilogy: They will not follow the EU, Sad, very sad, but true. as Zerimar said the EU is what sustained me for most of the 80's and 90's, and expanded the great stories from the prequels, and carried the banner thereafter, but unfortunately Lucasfilm do not hold it in such high regard canonically, financially but not canonically. Which brings me to my next point. The Films will not resemble the EU, but they aren't stupid enough to destroy its legacy. I believe the EU will (Should) continue as a separate continuity and remain untouched. There are just too many fans and their income to throw that away.
Plus It would be a disaster if JJ decided Han and Leia never got married or had kids, Chewie survived, and Luke was Gay, but then tried to retcon or reboot the EU to fit.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #32
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Yes, but for many of us, especially those of us who grew up in the '90s, the EU was every bit Star Wars that the movies were.
I know, I was there. But we're not in the '90s anymore (well, in a funny way I guess we are since we are waiting for a new trilogy of movies and EU material is all that's being released now). New movies have been made and a canon hierarchy has been established.

Quote:
Glad George Lucas isn't in charge anymore,
I can't believe alleged fans can say things like this. While he's still alive, I would expect people would want as much material from the creators' imagination and views of his universe as possible, instead of complaining about minutiae. And I'm not saying you have to like everything that he does, but at least respect and acknowledge his importance (and respective creativity).

Sometimes I think Tolkien, Lovecraft, Fleming, Roddenberry and the like got lucky to live before the mainstream Internet era....

Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Regarding the EU vs the Sequel trilogy: They will not follow the EU, Sad, very sad, but true. as Zerimar said the EU is what sustained me for most of the 80's and 90's, and expanded the great stories from the prequels, and carried the banner thereafter, but unfortunately Lucasfilm do not hold it in such high regard canonically, financially but not canonically. Which brings me to my next point. The Films will not resemble the EU, but they aren't stupid enough to destroy its legacy. I believe the EU will (Should) continue as a separate continuity and remain untouched. There are just too many fans and their income to throw that away.
But that's exactly what we mean when we say we fear that the EU will be "destroyed": being made an alternate continuity from the films exactly as you described. What you said about Lucas Film's attitude toward the EU is spot-on, but it is also fairly recent, having evolved slowly over time. It used to be that George Lucas himself would write forwards for books and showcase video games on late night television. His "I-don't-recognize-any-of-that-stuff-and-it-has-nothing-whatsoever-to-do-with-me" attitude really only came out full-swing within the last decade. I know the man is notorious for claiming that the ideas and opinions he currently holds are what he has held since the day of his conception, but the evidence is always overwhelmingly to the contrary, whether we're talking about story or character concepts or his attitude toward things like the Expanded Universe.

That said, one thing that has always been unique about the Star Wars franchise is just how much reverence Lucas Film has shown to its Expanded Universe almost from the start, officially licensing it, and even going out of their way to ensure that a mostly cohesive narrative existed among its material. This had never happened before, to my knowledge. I'm thankful that my favorite fictional universe has not suffered from the same mess Star Trek has, where no care is given whatsoever to anything other than film material, writers are on their own, things clash and contradict one another, and everything is chaos. The latter is essentially glorified fan fiction.

Undoing this now (or ever) would be a tremendous slap in the face not only to all of those authors who toiled endlessly to craft such a masterpiece, but to the fans who have enjoyed it as well.

Quote:
I know, I was there. But we're not in the '90s anymore (well, in a funny way I guess we are since we are waiting for a new trilogy of movies and EU material is all that's being released now). New movies have been made and a canon hierarchy has been established.
Yes, and do you know why that canon hierarchy was established? To ensure that almost everything fits together. Couple this with what I said to Adamqd above and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I can't believe alleged fans can say things like this. While he's still alive, I would expect people would want as much material from the creators' imagination and views of his universe as possible, instead of complaining about minutiae. And I'm not saying you have to like everything that he does, but at least respect and acknowledge his importance (and respective creativity).
"Alleged" fans, huh? I find this insulting. I never said anything like what you are describing. Did you know that I was one of the few who defended George Lucas with a passion while he was hounded about the prequels by "fans" and non-fans alike? Did you know that when I usually watch the films on DVD or Blu-Ray, I usually watch them with the commentary on (and finding myself wishing I had the option to listen only to Mr. Lucas and not those other guys)? Did you know that I have written piles of letters to him since I was about seven years old thanking him for what he has given me? Did you know that, although I have been irritated by all of the major continuity problems created by The Clone Wars, I still loved watching it simply because I loved the fact that the creator of Star Wars was still sharing with his his vision? Did you know that George Lucas is listed as one of the people I admire on my Facebook page?

No, you probably didn't.

So kindly save your judgments about the legitimacy of my fandom, sir. You know where you can shove them.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Alexrd, questioning peoples levels of Star Wars fandom since 2008.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
Zerimar Nyliram

Forum Veteran 
I know, right?

I'd like to add to what I said by pointing out that one is by no means a bad or "alleged" fan by simply thinking that the creator of his favorite series has run dry of most good ideas, disagreeing with some of the steps he has taken in recent time and thinking it best that he ought to step down. His simply means that one is one's own person and not a blind follower.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #36
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Yes, and do you know why that canon hierarchy was established? To ensure that almost everything fits together.
And that whenever contradictions exist we know what takes precedence.

Quote:
"Alleged" fans, huh? I find this insulting.
What? I didn't say it as an insult, sorry if it came out that way.

Quote:
I never said anything like what you are describing.
But what I described can only exist if the creator is in charge of his creation.

Quote:
Did you know that I was one of the few who defended George Lucas with a passion while he was hounded about the prequels by "fans" and non-fans alike? Did you know that when I usually watch the films on DVD or Blu-Ray, I usually watch them with the commentary on (and finding myself wishing I had the option to listen only to Mr. Lucas and not those other guys)? Did you know that I have written piles of letters to him since I was about seven years old thanking him for what he has given me? Did you know that, although I have been irritated by all of the major continuity problems created by The Clone Wars, I still loved watching it simply because I loved the fact that the creator of Star Wars was still sharing with his his vision? Did you know that George Lucas is listed as one of the people I admire on my Facebook page?

No, you probably didn't.
No, I certainly didn't. And if you got all that, how does that fit with being glad that Lucas is not in charge?

Quote:
So kindly save your judgments about the legitimacy of my fandom, sir. You know where you can shove them.
And who questioned your fandom's legitimacy? I expressed my disbelief that people would prefer someone other than the one who created the franchise in charge while he still can. And I don't know how much of a fan you are, therefore the use of "alleged".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Alexrd, questioning peoples levels of Star Wars fandom since 2008.
Once again, I didn't.

Quote:
I'd like to add to what I said by pointing out that one is by no means a bad or "alleged" fan by simply thinking that the creator of his favorite series has run dry of most good ideas, disagreeing with some of the steps he has taken in recent time and thinking it best that he ought to step down. His simply means that one is one's own person and not a blind follower.
I clearly stated (already expecting a reply like this): And I'm not saying you have to like everything that he does (...). As an example, I don't.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
HED
Rookie

Quote:
But that's exactly what we mean when we say we fear that the EU will be "destroyed": being made an alternate continuity from the films exactly as you described.
While it isn't an ideal situation, I'd prefer the EU as we have it become an alternate continuity if it meant that Dark Horse and the other publishers would continue their work without having to reconcile their stories with any inconsistencies caused by the sequels overwriting older EU stories. That'd be preferable to all the post-RotJ EU content being cancelled and ignored in favor of stuff centered around the sequels.

Quote:
I expressed my disbelief that people would prefer someone other than the one who created the franchise in charge while he still can.
I really don't see what's so unbelievable about that. Being the creator of a property doesn't mean you're the one best suited to continuing it. You see this in comics all the time. Just because Stan Lee is still alive doesn't mean he's the best choice to be in charge of the Spider-Man franchise. That time has passed.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #38
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

A man once spoke out against the alteration and desecration of media that had a cultural impact on society. He advocated for the preservation of these pieces of art, they needed to be protected as they were for future generations... even if they needed to be protected from their very creators.

Actually, I think that was George Lucas who took that stand... a long time ago, before he decided it would be a good idea to create the special editions, prequel trilogies and continuous retouches per home media release of Star Wars.

He was once a man we could trust, at that time, with his own creations... over time, he became a man who tried to, in his mind, fix his own movies but ended up butchering them more and more.

So yes, while we're all greatful for what he started, in the end, he himself turned to the dark side. All he could do now, in recent years, is hand over the mantle of responsibility to someone else and hope they do a better job of doing what he couldn't.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #39
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
A man once spoke out against the alteration and desecration of media that had a cultural impact on society. He advocated for the preservation of these pieces of art, they needed to be protected as they were for future generations... even if they needed to be protected from their very creators.
Actually no, he was talking against studios changing films (at the time they were colourizing black and white films), not the directors. He was never against the creators changing their creations.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #40
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I don't mind if creators change their works, that's all well and good and if they want to change a whole bunch of stuff, good on them... What I do mind is when creators change their works and make it impossible for people to get the original versions of said works. It doesn't matter who the entity is that is changing that work, what Lucas was talking about back then was preserving the original copies of those works of art and making them available to people.

Are the Special Edition onward versions of Star Wars the original copies? If people go to a store and buy Star Wars on Blu-ray, are they getting a copy of those movies that are as close to the original theatrical version as possible? No. We're not. The preservation and availability of those versions is being lost or has been lost completely in any legitimate form that you can own legally.

If someone, and it doesn't matter how, it could be the original creator or the studio that holds the rights to it or whatever, wants to make a version of A New Hope where Vader rides in his first scene on a pink unicorn, sure, why not. Go ahead... you can do just that as long as you provide me with the original unaltered version.

Doesn't matter who is doing the altering, that would be missing the point entirely.

Of course, if I'm wrong then my opinion of him would be lowered... I'd rather think of him as once having a good stance on the preservation of cultural artifacts than not at all.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014