lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The PS4 - The Console Wars Are Over
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
The PS4 - The Console Wars Are Over

OH. MY. GOD. Anyone else just watch the Sony conference? They easily win this generation.

-Used games.
-No DRM.
-100 dollars less than Xbox. $399.
-Screw you, Microsoft.
-Flawless victory.

You should be so very ashamed of yourselves, Microsoft. You betrayed your fans. I loved you once.

What could Microsoft possibly do to counter this? Me thinks there's a lot of soiled pants at MS HQ right now.

Also, this.

Discuss.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Gonna pre-order it... launch day for me. Going to skip on the Xbone. What more is there to discuss?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Bob Saget
Rookie

I'll stick iwth my Ps3 for a bit then move to PS4, mostly since GTA5 will be on PS3.

And hahahaha you failed Microsoft. ._.
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
How's this for lolz?
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
*~*Darth pOOba*~*
Rookie

Current Game: The game of life
It was said that they would destroy the cash cows, not join them! Bring balance to the gaming world! Not leave it with disappointment!

You were my bother Microsoft! I loved you!

Geek is Chic

"...And we will never back down, because a life without freedom is not a life worth living." - Ratonhnhaké:ton

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
*~*Darth pOOba*~* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
As a die-hard Sony hater, it pains me to admit that some of the games previewed today have got me itching for a PS4. Especially The Order: 1866.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Seeing as Sony just alluded to 3rd party titles having DRM at the discretion of publishers, don't be surprised if PS4 essentially ends up identical to the Xbone in terms of things like used games/ownership. Might want to hold your horses on declaring a winner when the war hasn't even started yet.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

But 3rd party titles already essentially have DRM at the discretion of publishers.

For arguments sake, lets set aside the used game issue. Even without that plus, how is Sony not outshining Microsoft in every category of interest to the average gamer?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Seeing as Sony just alluded to 3rd party titles having DRM at the discretion of publishers, don't be surprised if PS4 essentially ends up identical to the Xbone in terms of things like used games/ownership. Might want to hold your horses on declaring a winner when the war hasn't even started yet.
They said no online authentication on retail discs. That's as good as it can get (if I were a potential buyer).

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
For arguments sake, lets set aside the used game issue. Even without that plus, how is Sony not outshining Microsoft in every category of interest to the average gamer?
Given that used games/sharing seemed to be the number one thing pre-E3 that people were getting their panties in a twist over, it seems odd to suddenly disregard it. But fine, for the sake of argument, let's leave aside all redistribution of games (be it resale/secondhand, lending/sharing, as they are all effectively tied together). What then, in your opinion, are the other pressing categories of interest to gamers where the PS4 comes out ahead?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

...Aside from the games Sony actually showing off not being ho-hum, QTE fests, or rehashes, no online requirement, no disc based DRM, the actual support of indie games, and the $100 cheaper price tag I guess I can't think of a single thing.

I was never disregarding the used games issue. Merely setting it aside for a moment to point out that there are a lot of reasons Microsoft is losing. Now, please, take a moment to explain to us why Sony isn't winning.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Nobody is "winning". The consoles aren't on sale for months yet. Sony has got some PR one-upmanship over MS in the last couple of days, sure, but what does that actually equate to in the end? We won't know until launch day and the following weeks/months/years. My guess is that it won't amount to squat. Both systems will likely sell out at Xmas. Whether one system ends up dominating in the long term, I have no idea. I suspect though that it will remain a fairly close race, much like the current gen.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
...in your opinion, are the other pressing categories of interest to gamers where the PS4 comes out ahead?
XBox One has the Kinect always on, has to approve all the games you play, and requires you to check in with Microsoft every time you want to play.

It's like Big Brother and my mother all rolled into one.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #14
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ DP: I saw the interview with Tretton. I've decided that no matter the game, if a publisher decides to pull any of that asshattery, I'm boycotting them. Don't even care if it's something like Dead Space. I'm not tolerating it at all.

Sony has won me over with their stance, now it's up to each individual publisher to show me that they're not going to screw me over. With Microsoft, everything thing about their system is designed to screw me over, with Sony, my chances are a lot better.

Also, of course the launch line-up of a system is going to be terrible. THEY ALWAYS ARE. However, I'm not thinking about the stuff that will happen in only the first couple of months of the system, I'm thinking long term. There is some stuff that has my attention at launch, but overall... Sony is the way to go.

And yes, PC, this, PC that. I already have a gaming PC.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
I was going to get a PS3 soon, and then this happened. I'll probably just stick with the WiiU though; alot of the games I want that end up on the Playstation tend to also end up on the PC. I remember saying a few days ago that the WiiU was looking pretty good by comparison up until now. Looks to me like Sony and Nintendo are going to leave Microsoft in the dust.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

You should still get a PS3... since PS4 can't player PS3 games

Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Microsoft has become bigger idiots than they realize and the sad part is they're going to have to wait until the release of both consoles and see the numbers to finally realize the mistakes they're making because I don't think they realize them yet and won't pay attention to what potential customers are saying at this moment. Their arrogance is sad.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
You should still get a PS3... since PS4 can't player PS3 games
Did not know that. Thank you for the tip.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
From what I have seen so far it is enough to make me convert to PS. I've only owned XBox's and I had no interest in the Xone even before the PS info.

Lynk, this could mean I may actually get a retail Macross game at some point!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
Their arrogance is sad.
Indeed, first with Windows 8 (which is a fine mobile OS) and now with Xbox. Their loss, and I hope they learn with the consequences.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Indeed, first with Windows 8 (which is a fine mobile OS) and now with Xbox. Their loss, and I hope they learn with the consequences.
There's also Office 2013 to add to their arrogance.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Oops. Uhh. Aren't they supposed to be shipping the Xbox One and these games out in five months? And they're still running the demos on desktop PCs running with a different operating system and even an entirely different graphics processor than what's in the Xbox One? The hell?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Kind of funny that even MS doesn't use Win 8.

Not sure what relevance this has though. You realise that all your precious PS4 games were also running on PC, right?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

No, they weren't. They were running on PS4 dev kits composed of the actual PS4 hardware.

Developer of upcoming PS4/PC/iOS title The Witness Jonathan Blow tweeted:

It is not true as the article says that “all E3 demos run on hi-end PCs”. The Witness was running on PS4 dev hardware, and it looked to me like all the other PS4 games were running on dev kits as well.

Dev hardware is the hardware that will be in the final retail box, but in a less consumer-oriented package.

Dev kits almost always have more RAM yeah. Better CPU+GPU, no…

All the indies I know were running on the PS4.

We worked very hard to get our game running on the actual PS4 hardware and operating system in time for the show. As did many other devs.

and

If you have any other facts that you'd like to pull out of your glorious PC gaming master race ass and post here, please, feel free to do so.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
I'm very excited about the PS4 I might actually get it this year instead of waiting! Sony's Press Conference was the greatest Press Conference I have ever seen...ever. Destroyed Microsoft.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #26
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Yes, they were running on devkits. Which are PCs.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, devkits are just PCs that have similar hardware capabilities to the target console and debug and test tools that are relative yo that console. All games are made on PCs.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Yeah, I'm gonna get myself a PS4. Maybe sooner than I had planned, but not at launch, though. I tend to wait until a bit more games are available and the first problems are ironed out.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, I have to wait by necessity since Australian prices are so stupid for these things. I'll at least have to wait for some kind of deal to go down for the PS4 before I get it.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

The worrying part about it is that the boxes Microsoft was using are apparently very dissimilar to the actual hardware present in the Xbox One. I'm not saying that anything's not developed on a PC, merely that it's worrying that they don't have it running on anything resembling what they want to sell us. Sony's had their demos running on PS4 hardware dev kits since Feb.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #31
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

It's not worrying at all. Both the Xbone and PS4 are basically just laptops in plastic boxes. You could use any x86 hardware, as long as it has the appropriate OS. Which in the Xbone case is pretty much just a cutdown Windows kernel with DirectX. You have to code to the hardware, not necessarily on the hardware. You have to test on the final hardware, sure. But that's a different issue altogether. If the rumours from a few months back are to be believed, the PS4 devkit isn't much like the PS4 hardware either, aside from being AMD kit. It was reported as off-the-shelf components - Bulldozer CPU, 7000/R10XX series GPU, 8GB RAM, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem here, all early devkits are all like this. The first devkits Nintendo sent out to developers for the Nintendo DS was a GBA SP rubber banded to a standard GBA with a link cable between them rigged with a data output port and a SNES controller.

Modern console devkits that console manufacturers sendout early are, as I said, just off the shelf components with tools for debugging, etc.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #33
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
@DP:

Both the PS4 and the XBone use virtually the same APU, featuring 8 Jaguar cores on the CPU side. Jaguar is AMD's replacement for Bobcat, which competes with Intel's Atom.

The difference is that the PS4's GPU will have 18 compute units vs. the XBone's 12, so there's another win for the PS4.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #34
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Yes, I know. The consumer Jaguar was only scheduled to launch a few weeks ago (not sure if it did or not), plus initial yields were very low (especially for MS's customised version with eSRAM), hence why neither MS nor Sony had it in their early devkits.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
OK, I misunderstood you, then.

The important point is that, while the CPU side has 8 cores and they're supposed to be a considerable improvement over Bobcat, they're still going to be quite a bit weaker than normal desktop/laptop CPU cores because they are designed to run at ultra-low voltages.

The upside is that people probably won't have to worry about them overheating like the older XBox 360s did.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #36
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Has Microsoft released some solid statement on how the 10 family member sharing works? Because if it works like it sounds like it does, it could be a saving grace for the Xbox One. It sounds like if I wanted to play Co-op or MP with someone in my "family" only one of us would actually have to own the game. That would be pretty sweet but I don't see how publishers would go for this.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #37
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett View Post
Oops. Uhh. Aren't they supposed to be shipping the Xbox One and these games out in five months? And they're still running the demos on desktop PCs running with a different operating system and even an entirely different graphics processor than what's in the Xbox One? The hell?
AHA! ALL THE GAMES CAN RUN ON PCS! NO EXCUSES NOW M$! I EXPECT EVERYTHING ON STEAM NOW!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #38
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
AHA! ALL THE GAMES CAN RUN ON PCS! NO EXCUSES NOW M$! I EXPECT EVERYTHING ON STEAM NOW!
If this logic occurred, we'd have been graced with Fable II I think ;D

I'm not really happy with being a console player anymore. I don't like how the market is run and I'm sorry but I've seen next gen game pre-orders at £55 a go, and if that is going to be standard price for a game then man. 40 was too high in my opinion. I could spend 55 on one game that could be mediocre and will at best provide with 30 hours of entertainment (to use the term broadly. I find that after spending that much, the entertainment value is significantly undermined), or I could spend the same and actually get a fair amount of games on Steam, with the various sales and just in general cheaper games.

No thanks, Sony or MS.

Last edited by Taak Farst; 06-23-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #39
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

No doubt the fanboys will come up with plenty of excuses, but I figured this was only fair turnabout after the fuss over Xbone titles at E3. A demo booth at Gamescom showing the PS4 version of Need for Speed:

https://twitter.com/corentin_lamy/st...090688/photo/1

And the NeoGaf mirror in the event it disappears: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658829
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #40
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I still don't understand why this is news... both systems are AMD x86-64 hardware.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > The PS4 - The Console Wars Are Over