lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KotOR is now on iPad?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
milestails
Rookie

Thoughts on the new UI?

I like the look of it on the iPad based off that above screenshot. Would be great to have that on the PC.
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #42
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestails View Post
Thoughts on the new UI?

I like the look of it on the iPad based off that above screenshot. Would be great to have that on the PC.
Actually it could be done. Now that I have your attention allow me to explain:

The HUD (head up display; the icons and ect.. You see in the game) is basically icons and actions on two separate 2D planes. This allows you to move both the icons and the actions. These actions are pre-defined so we couldn't actually change what it does when you click the icon but we could put the right icons in the same places mimicking the GUI of the Ipad version. Now all of this would be hard work and basically a huge guessing game.

Maybe I'll look into it...eventually-Supreme Kotor

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
Firedrops
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme kotor View Post
Modders you may be intrested in this everyone else carry on with your life:

I thought I would update you guys from a modding perspective as I have been playing with this and extracting some of the files I will go through by folder:

Data: this folder contains all the .2da files on kotor tool. On the ipad they are saved as .bzf I do not know of any ipad application that can open this file format. Contains everything we would normally find in bifs in KotorTool.

Lips: same thing as on PC. All the files are .mod cannot be opened on ipad.

Modules: same thing as on PC. Can be opened and edited with a hex editor ipad contains a native hex editor. Either use the command counsel or ifile to edit them.

Movies: same as PC ipad cannot natively open .bik files. Good luck with that.

Override: contains all of the menu .tga's also contains all of the .gui files. Ipad can natively open .tga simply use ifile or command counsel

Rims: exact same as PC. Can be opened with iPads native hex editor. Good luck making any sense of it though.

SC.info: I'm not 100% sure on this file. I cannot find a way to open it except SQ_lite3 says its encrypted and if it was decrypted it could be opened.

Stream music, stream sounds, stream waves: all the exact same as PC except ipad can't natively play .wav dap good luck with that one.

Texture packs: can be opened with image viewer except it will crash the file system you are using as at attempts to render every single .tga at the same time.

At the end there is MANY .frag and .vert files they may be useful to someone I don't even know what they are. I cannot find a way to open them.

From my point of view there is nothing special here for modders it is a very fun game and I have got a chance to play it on the Ipad and I would say its well worth it.

IMPORTANT FOR RESKINS: reskins DO work but the iPads native unzipper currupts .tga files while unzipping them. You must download a reskin not in a .Zip or transfer it from your computer to get it to work.
Not sure if this has been suggested before, but those files can be opened on a computer, i.e. using "iFunbox"; it pretty much makes the ipad a normal mounted hdd. If the files are really just the same as PC's, then modding should be relatively simple(r) since you can open, edit and save them exactly as it was with PC KoTOR. Save files seems to be fully transferable. I no longer have the old KoTOR on my PC so I can't really check that ):

Kotor is under //private/var/mobile/Applications/, with my folder starting with 6926D(I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone).

Have a go at it, guys, I'm really looking forward to some good mods for iKoTOR. Especially graphics and swoop/space controls
Firedrops is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedrops View Post
Not sure if this has been suggested before, but those files can be opened on a computer, i.e. using "iFunbox"; it pretty much makes the ipad a normal mounted hdd. If the files are really just the same as PC's, then modding should be relatively simple(r) since you can open, edit and save them exactly as it was with PC KoTOR. Save files seems to be fully transferable. I no longer have the old KoTOR on my PC so I can't really check that ):

Kotor is under //private/var/mobile/Applications/, with my folder starting with 6926D(I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone).

Have a go at it, guys, I'm really looking forward to some good mods for iKoTOR. Especially graphics and swoop/space controls
Nice tip, and welcome to the forums.

I'll be sure to buy KotOR on my iPad soon enough.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #45
supreme kotor

Quote:

Thanks you for the tip. I actually have been using ifunbox and ifile but without the cheat counsoul I have encountered many issues although I have a theoretical work around. Muahahha.

Welcome to the forums-Supreme Kotor

Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #46
sule9na
Lurker

Quote:
I have encountered many issues although I have a theoretical work around. Muahahha.
What's your theoretical workaround?

I have been trying to use the Ultimate KOTOR textures by Thunder3 and also the individual texture packs by Xarwarrz all day.

I've been focusing on individual textures and modifying them then rebooting so I can see the result. So far no matter what I do I get blank black shaders.
I've reduced one texture fro 67Mb down to 113Kb and still blank black shaders...

There were problems like this when PC modding back in the day but mostly on ATI chipsets. The thing is, comparing the tga files already in the override folder that aspyr have used for ipad specific UI replacements the files I'm using/replacing are in exactly the same format.

Do you think we simply have a tiny amount of memory bandwidth to use?
If there's anywhere to edit that in the application files I'll keep an eye out but perhaps any texture over 100Kb for example will fail. I'm going to try some really simple ones and let you all know my results, if I can get anything to actually load in it will be progress.
sule9na is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
sule9na
Lurker

Thumbs down Failed again...

Okay so even though the tga's in the override directory that Aspyr are using appear to be totally normal tga's I had a hunch that they might be re-encoded with PVR-TC (Power VR Texture Compression), the like of which is native to the iPad families GPU's.

I recompressed a texture file to PVRTC as a tga file and placed it in the override folder. Unfortunately still no joy, just a blank black shader instead of anything being loaded in.

I also tried this with a tiny white 128x128px tga file I knocked up in Photoshop. Totally normal 32bit tga file and only 16Kb in size. I still got a blank black shader in the game, as though nothing was being loaded at all... The quest continues.

Just keeping you all up to date so no one tries the same things I am all over again and wastes time.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
sule9na
Lurker

Okay, one more update for today

Right, so I figured, perhaps the iOS version is just failing when we try to load anything from the override folder at all.

So I took a TPC texture from the erf texture pack that's actually in the game. I extracted it to a tga and I put it in the override directory. Nada...

So the game won't even load textures from the override directory which it's otherwise happily loading from the texture pack.

Anyone more experienced at this ever seen that problem before?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #49
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Okay, can anyone tell me what battery usage is like on it? I.E. would my iPad survive playing KotOR for a 9 hour flight?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #50
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR on PC
I don't own an iPad, but I do own an iPod Touch and know that advanced games with console/PC quality graphics can suck up the battery quickly and I'm sure it's very similar on the iPad. Your best bet is to turn the brightness down. The lower it is the longer your battery will last. I don't think there is an exact name for them, but they have battery packs you can buy that plug into the charging port. If you used one of those your iPad would take power from it and only use your iPad's battery once it ran out. If you had one or two of those charged up and brought them with you on the plane, then you could just keep your brightness normal (which always looks better) and enjoy KOTOR for the entire flight!

I just realized that the "9 hour flight" was just an example, but those battery packs are nice to have anywhere you go. The prices all very depending on which one you buy and where you buy it of course. Here's an example of one I found on the Apple website: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9...ttery?fnode=3c

Last edited by Sith Sizzle; 07-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Sith Sizzle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #51
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Thank you very much for the suggestion, and nope, it wasn't an example, I'm going to Cuba on friday

Welcome to the forums, also!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #52
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

No problem glad I could help, and thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #53
delbertspencer
Lurker

going to buy asap free pokies

Last edited by delbertspencer; 07-19-2013 at 06:10 AM.
delbertspencer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #54
catch6229
Lurker

are there any good save-game editors that would work just with the I-pad version of the saved games? I used to have this game on PC Eons ago, but no longer do. However, from Ifunbox I can port the saves - but the primary available save game editor (latest version of it I see is 3.3.3) requires an install of the actual game. As in, you can't just edit a saved game file.

I'm new and not a modder at all. Love the game, but would love to be able to tweak my saves a bit.
catch6229 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #55
Mewgen
Lurker

So here's my experience with the iPad mods & editors.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY.

For textures and mods to work, they must all be in LOWERCASE lettering for the iPad to register the mod in /Override directory. So far I have changed robe textures, lightsaber & robe models to 'movie style'. I've even managed to use the 'start as jedi' mods w/o issues.

The KSE 3.33 save editor does work perfectly. But, you must install Kotor on your PC first for it to run properly. You must also install whatever mods you have on your iPad to PC. You can access your /Save directory using iFunbox w/o Jailbreak. Make sure you transfer the actual folder such as "000002 - Game1" for the editor to work properly.

Game plays great (w/ mods) and I'm geeking out from all the nostalgia.
Mewgen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #56
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I'll try to see if it works,

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #57
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
What about big mods like BOS:SR and such?

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #58
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
What about big mods like BOS:SR and such?
According to Mewgen, you might have to rename like every single file.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #59
Tharr
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge View Post
According to Mewgen, you might have to rename like every single file.
If it can be done it's a wonderful news

There is darkness in your light
Tharr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #60
Tharr
Lurker

I am waitin now also for Kotor TSL on iPad :P

There is darkness in your light
Tharr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #61
catch6229
Lurker

Megwen. Is there any way to install KoTor on your PC without having to re-purchase it? I already bought it on the I-pad, I'd hate to spend extra cash on a PC copy which i won't use, just so I could use the editor to mod a save game.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #62
supreme kotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch6229 View Post
Megwen. Is there any way to install KoTor on your PC without having to re-purchase it? I already bought it on the I-pad, I'd hate to spend extra cash on a PC copy which i won't use, just so I could use the editor to mod a save game.
Sorry but there is not. While I'm here I also feel the need to add that there is no cheat console which hurts many mods. But yes Bos:sr works perfect!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #63
catch6229
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewgen View Post
So here's my experience with the iPad mods & editors.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY.

For textures and mods to work, they must all be in LOWERCASE lettering for the iPad to register the mod in /Override directory. So far I have changed robe textures, lightsaber & robe models to 'movie style'. I've even managed to use the 'start as jedi' mods w/o issues.

The KSE 3.33 save editor does work perfectly. But, you must install Kotor on your PC first for it to run properly. You must also install whatever mods you have on your iPad to PC. You can access your /Save directory using iFunbox w/o Jailbreak. Make sure you transfer the actual folder such as "000002 - Game1" for the editor to work properly.

Game plays great (w/ mods) and I'm geeking out from all the nostalgia.
So miraculously I found my old KoToR disk. Running into an issue with the editor. I make my changes, save and copy the data back onto the I-pad via IFunBox. However, it doesn't seem to recognize any of the changes at all. I've tried re-openning the modded file in the editor - it recognizes all the changes I made previously. The game, however, does not. Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #64
Mewgen
Lurker

Did you sure your Kotor PC is completely updated with te latest patch? It should work without issues. Does the save work on PC?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #65
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
are there any good save-game editors that would work just with the I-pad version of the saved games? I used to have this game on PC Eons ago, but no longer do. However, from Ifunbox I can port the saves - but the primary available save game editor (latest version of it I see is 3.3.3) requires an install of the actual game. As in, you can't just edit a saved game file.

I'm new and not a modder at all. Love the game, but would love to be able to tweak my saves a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewgen View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry but there is not. While I'm here I also feel the need to add that there is no cheat console which hurts many mods. But yes Bos:sr works perfect!
As far as I know, you should be able to simulate a KotOR install by manually creating the relevant Windows registry keys. I remember having problems with KSE and Kotor Tool detecting my installs of KotOR and TSL properly, and having to recreate the proper path registry keys, which fixed the problems.

Interestingly, while both games are installed in my computer atm, the registry keys seem to be absent. I'll try reinstall/fiddle around with it to find the correct registry values for you guys to try.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #66
Firedrops
Lurker

Many of the mods come in TSL Patcher compatible forms, does anyone have any success/tips on using TSL patcher to install mods onto the iPad?

-edit-

What I have tried:

1. Copy the whole kotor folder from iPad to Desktop(using iFunbox)

2. Running TSL patchers, choosing "Kotor.app" folder as my "root" kotor folder

3. most of them patch with no issues reported

4. Check override folder for non-capital files

5. Copy and replace entire Kotor.app folder onto iPad

6. None of the mods show up/work D:

mewgen did you use the TSL patchers, or is there some other way to install the mods(which have sole instructions to use their TSL patcher)?

-edit-

Oh dear I got it working. I manually copy-pasted the content from WITHIN the override folders again. Apparently the "folder+subfolder"-wide copy and paste doesn't work so well on iFunbox.

Have fun guys

Last edited by Firedrops; 10-27-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Firedrops is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #67
jjb75
Rookie

Current Game: Knights of the old republic
Quote:
How do you get the mod files off of your pc to the override to the ipad using ifunbox I keep trying to put them in the override but they don't show up

jjb75 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #68
catch6229
Lurker

Quote:
Many of the mods come in TSL Patcher compatible forms, does anyone have any success/tips on using TSL patcher to install mods onto the iPad?

-edit-

What I have tried:

1. Copy the whole kotor folder from iPad to Desktop(using iFunbox)

2. Running TSL patchers, choosing "Kotor.app" folder as my "root" kotor folder

3. most of them patch with no issues reported

4. Check override folder for non-capital files

5. Copy and replace entire Kotor.app folder onto iPad

6. None of the mods show up/work D:

mewgen did you use the TSL patchers, or is there some other way to install the mods(which have sole instructions to use their TSL patcher)?

-edit-

Oh dear I got it working. I manually copy-pasted the content from WITHIN the override folders again. Apparently the "folder+subfolder"-wide copy and paste doesn't work so well on iFunbox.

Have fun guys
Sorry to keep bugging - having a bit of trouble here as well - more because for some reason I can't seem to copy into or alter the over-ride folder at all. Anytime I try to copy files into the override folder, the folder just refreshes to look exactly the same as pre-copy (the original override folder has 151 files, but whenever I try to add any of the mods, the folder simply refreshes and remains at 151 files.

Sorry to be a newbie on this front, but this seems to be the only thread dealing with any ipad issues so its learn as I go for me. Thanks for the help. My I-pad isn't jailbroken so maybe thats the cause. However, I doubt it given I've copied to and from it many times - though maybe the override folder is part of a write-protected section, not sure.

Last edited by catch6229; 11-11-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #69
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Not sure if its always been available, or its new news, but I just got a Facebook ad saying its now on iphone too, downloading now! (I Don't have an ipad so felt left out lol ) perfect timing aswell, as I've just recently switched to a new windows 8 PC, and this is the first time in a decade I don't have KotOR installed on my PC (Not even sure if windows 8 will run the original PC version?)

It's really amazing that KotOR is being pushed and advertised over 10 years on ! Best game ever.

adamqd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #70
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

No it just recently came out for iPhone which is awesome! It's one of the few "hardcore" games on the App Store that isn't a new release. It's just that popular.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #71
Isaac Clarke

Damn, I gotta pick this up. Sucks that I don't have an iPad, but iPhone will have to do.

Last edited by Isaac Clarke; 12-23-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #72
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
It's actually pretty damned good, I thought the controls would suck, but its smooth. would probably better suit a Galaxy s4 or note, as the iPhone seems happy with their 2008 screen sizes, but its not unreadable. never thought I'd be playing KotOR in the Canteen on my lunch break lol

adamqd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #73
Mewgen
Lurker

It's been a while since I've logged on so I'll try to update those with questions.

Since Dec 18, Aspyr/LA released v1.1.0 which is now iPhone compatible. I have notice that this version does not permit modification to the /override folder. Reason for this is the file has locked Permissions to "read only" 0755 and needs to be changed to 0777. In order to change, IOS device needs to be jailbroken. There are two apps you may use to change permissions, iFile or Winscp. I use the latter, Winscp, because it's old and always dependable for me.

In order to use Winscp, you must have a jailbroken i-device, Cydia app, and must install OpenSSH through Cydia. Once OpenSSH is installed, you can google how to connect to your i-device. All you would need is the IP address of your device, username: root, password: alpine. You will received a warning, just click "Yes." Once connected, you will need to dig through your device to find the Kotor folder. Mine is //var/mobile/applications

Just right-click on the /override folder and change Permissions from 0755 to 0777. Then drag and drop any mods you have.
*make sure all your mod files are LOWERCASE*

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them when I can but you should be able to Google all your answers. Cheers.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #74
mrpras
Lurker

I've just come across this page and found that there is a bit of confusion about a few things so I just wanted to share a few thoughts/experiences with iOS users interested in modding this game..

Firstly: Use iFunbox or a similar program to make the transfers easier - forget SSH and other awkward methods - It doesn't have to be that hard!

The Override Folder

What happens, it seems, is that the override folder is a mixed bag - TGA and Model files seem to affect the game in progress (you can change the files and then reload and you will notice the differences - although I usually get a crash or just black textures so far)..

BUT mods like Jedi companions (which are edited UTC files I think) DO WORK but only when you start a new game = when you start a new game a bunch of files are compiled from the override/game folders and put into your documents folder (currentgame/gameinprogress)..

When you change the overrides after the start of the game the changes will not happen in the current saves because things like the character stats (utc files I think) have already been copied into the USEABLE part of the game folder structure (IE NOT THE KOTOR.APP which is supposed to be read only) - the Documents folder is where all the current-game info is stored because it's a read-write folder.

When you jailbreak the device it means you can access and modify the actual game-folder so putting new files in the override folder requires a jailbreak. HOWEVER - if you have these save files already, then you can install them directly into a non-jailbroken device and play with your modded save-game (for example I did this and still had an all-jedi party and even still had my special Revan robes! which surprised me actually)..

So it seems that the main point I'm trying to make is that mods seem to affect the game only at the start of a new game - whereas texture-mods (which I haven't gotten to work yet) aren't stored in the actual save folder..

I'm not sure if permissions affect anything - they weren't needed for me.. The override folder is read-only on a JAILED phone and read-write on a Jailbroken one. I could be wrong but I never had to touch any permissions to get the mods working. The main thing was to start a new game so that the documents folder is populated with the new overrides.
mrpras is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #75
mrpras
Lurker

Oh also worth sharing perhaps is that the only save editor that seems to work for me is version 1.3.3 *i mean that the newer ones don't work for me..

I create a folder called Kotor and then copy the documents folder from Kotor iOS into there (currentgame, etc). Not sure if you need all the folders or just the save, but since I edit the companion stats too I assume it needs all (probably not but better to be sure)..

Then after editing I just copy the save back (quicksave) and it works fine..

Also worth noting - relating to upgraded versions:

What I do is make a zip backup of the original override folder (per version - 1.1.1 as of writing).. That way whenever I'm playing with overrides I can always set it back to clean (if there is nothing in the override the game will not work since it needs the IOS specific overrides).. So I can set it back to "Clean" and then add the additional files.. Might seem obvious to some, but might also help someone to avoid reinstalling the whole game like I had to! (not that it takes very long hehe).

Last edited by mrpras; 01-10-2014 at 04:29 PM.
mrpras is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #76
Dynasty10
Lurker

Guys, I need your help.

Can someone provide me with a working iPhone Mod to get the Revan robe-model with the mask? Also for the light side.

If tried many many mods, put them in the override folder of my kotor.app. One mod even worked so far, that the model was there, but without textures.

My iphone is jailbroken, and I'm using iFunbox.

Oh, and sorry for digging up this old thread
Cheers

Last edited by Dynasty10; 04-07-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Dynasty10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > KotOR is now on iPad?