lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Adding an advanced tutorial section
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Adding an advanced tutorial section

Well the title pretty much says it all I was thinking there should be another sticky or sub thread of Holowan that would be advanced tutorials. You know things that new modders probobly couldn't do. My thinking behind this is many of the more experienced modders (or maybe even new modders) might know little tips and tricks that could improve the overall quality of the mods others are making. Maybe things such as some advanced scripts that do cool things just little things like that.

Let me know what you guys are thinking-Supreme Kotor

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Seems ultimately pointless to me. 'Advanced' is just a perspective. What one modder considers to be advanced, another might feel is basic. Same the other way around.

The way things are now with the tutorials broken up into categories yet still organised in a centralised way works just fine, I think.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I agree with Marius. I know a lot of people consider areas advanced, but i feel its the easiest thing.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
This whole subforum is "advanced" IMO

I am glad to be returning to a still quite active community. Makes me happy, and sorta want to install some old games....

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
glovemaster
Now-a-days GroovyCarrot

Current Game: No time for games, sadly
Helpful! 
I'd say the best way to go about modifications is to have an idea as to what you want to achieve, then make use of the tutorials and experience of others on the forums to help you. Not at all shooting the idea down though; I just suggest looking at it more as an objective than a level of difficulty or experience

If you're looking for any of the junk I did a few years ago; you can probably still find it all on filefront
glovemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemaster View Post
I'd say the best way to go about modifications is to have an idea as to what you want to achieve, then make use of the tutorials and experience of others on the forums to help you. Not at all shooting the idea down though; I just suggest looking at it more as an objective than a level of difficulty or experience
Pretty similar to the advice I just gave the OP after reading a PM I recieved from him a little over a month ago.... (sorry duder, I have been away a LOONG time)

Supreme, you do have an idea of what you want to do, and I think it is a great starter-project to get you going and figuring stuff out.

Why not share it here?

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Or we could convert all of the tutorials to youtube videos.

In fact, you know what would be awesome? An intro to NWScript for new modders. Video would be awesome.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Malxados
Rookie

Current Game: Warframe, SC Blacklist, KOTOR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post

In fact, you know what would be awesome? An intro to NWScript for new modders. Video would be awesome.
Actually, an NWScript intro could be pretty useful; even if it just covers general syntax, I'd probably find it quite useful (although the general syntax may already be similar to C or whatever, I'm not super familiar with it)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8, NKJV)
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23, NKJV)

Ask me about my sig!

Bao-Dur: I'll take the one who was stupid enough to threaten us instead of shoot us when he had the chance.

k_inc_force bothers me.
Malxados is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Gorgod
Rookie

Current Game: Sex
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post

This is actually a really good idea. Not that I was an experienced, veteran modder or anything but after a year of absence it would be nice to have a refresher for me and others like me.

Gorgod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Darth Reptinus
Banned

Supreme I would not say add a advanced section just update the 6 year old tuts lol!
Darth Reptinus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
bunjeeman
Rookie

Some scripting tutorials for area of effect and offence would be nice.

It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
bunjeeman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

I made a Holowan Labs YouTube channel years ago, but it never really took off. I'd be up for rebooting it and putting vids on there if anyone else wants to contribute.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
I made a Holowan Labs YouTube channel years ago, but it never really took off. I'd be up for rebooting it and putting vids on there if anyone else wants to contribute.
VP and I talked about this before actually . I am more than willing to help and VP said if there's enough interest he would help.

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Scripting in itself isn't hard, really the hard part is so many functions don't really work how you'd think they would if at all. Would anyone be up for helping to make a kotor API with info on how to successfully make each function work if they do at all?

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Adding an advanced tutorial section