lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dual Cpu???
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-06-2002, 01:37 AM   #81
HC - Exar Kun

Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly
Intel processors to Make and Test XP

Multiplayer doesn't run very good (if at all) in JO for some reason

Especially on Athlon MP Dual CPU systems

I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP
simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future
( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )

For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets
Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers
From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....

HC-Exar-Kun
HC - Exar Kun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 03:54 AM   #82
raiden

@HC - Exar Kun

well it is not a winxp vs athlon xp problem ... since i'm using win2k and get the same problems and we have some intel users also with the same problems.
This is a fine bug of the windows system kernel.
raiden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 03:59 AM   #83
HC - Exar Kun

Have you had this same problem in other games
such as MOH or Q3 at all ?

HC-Exar-Kun
Old 04-06-2002, 04:45 AM   #84
Centrfuge

all u have to do is install direct x fromt the cd... it works i promise.
i play all the time on mp. u just have to make sure that it says "direct x 8 has successfully been updated on your computer" or something like that. works like a charm. if u cannot figure this out look at my above posts. you usually ahve to do it ever so often. it doesnt keep working. just do it if u fail during the stupid exe error junk. if u need a ss i can take one.

peace,
cent man
Centrfuge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 06:11 AM   #85
raiden

@HC - Exar Kun

nope ... i did never had any problems with a game based on the q3 engine ...
Old 04-06-2002, 07:13 AM   #86
Atomicone

@HC - Exar Kun

Maybe you are right, about the Athlon that is!
But the Athlon XP, you are very wrong!
maybe windows XP is not made for it, but the Athlon XP is made for Windows XP, clever bastards they are AMD

(Bumb in disguise)

Nuclear Warheads For All!
Atomicone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 07:20 AM   #87
HC - Exar Kun

Could be a great deal of things...

But yeah I beleive it may be an issue with AMD somewhere...

From what I read above you guys have tried just about everything I could think of to get it workin....

GOT ME STUMPED.....

HC-Exar-Kun
Old 04-06-2002, 12:09 PM   #88
sponz

Morning bumpage. Im now on the Docking bay level. Dunno how many more I have to go before someone from Raven/Lucas arts/whoever posts that yes, this IS a problem and they officially acknowledge it as such. Not much to ask for. The thread is burning up in the forum, BOAT loads of views, lots of response. Maybe if we hit the 30k post mark someone will say "hey, I think they have a problem!". Argh. Im frustrated. I WANT to play multiplayer!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
sponz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 09:12 PM   #89
MadMorg

Exar, it's not an AMD issue, look at the posts on here, there have been a lot of people who have been complaining of this trouble on dualie intel rigs...

And it is not an issue with windows XP, because there are as many people that are having this problem on win2k (such as myself). It's an issue with the detection of the dual processors... (except for those problems with the single athlonXP's, I don't know how to explain that...)

But there have been people that have been running the game with uniprocessor ACPI, so it would seem obvious that it's a dualie issue... something that can be worked around since the single player version works with dualies...

just my $0.02
MadMorg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2002, 09:24 PM   #90
VooDooo

Quote:
Originally posted by HC - Exar Kun
[B]Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly
Intel processors to Make and Test XP
Wrong. AMD's were used extensively and are x86 complient in every way. The code in XP is also optimised for 3Dnow and 3Dnow Pro. Athlons and WinXP work without issues as long as you use te correct drivers. (Which is exactly the same as Intels CPU's) A lot of the systems that MS used were actually Alpha's as the current CPU's were too slow to compile the code. They tested the final code on 1000's of differant platforms. Im not saying XP is perfect but to say XP and Athlons dont work well is Wrong.

Quote:
I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP
simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future
( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )
If your going to offer advise at least get it right. All AMD proceessors work in XP. The new Palomino cores (1600+ and higher) were named XP's for marketing and it has nothing to do with there XP compatability at all. All Athlons actually beat the crap out of intels similar offerings and have ever since the Slot A 500mhz.

Quote:
For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets
Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers
From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....
Yes here i do agree with you. Updated Drivers for ALL your hardware is always advised. Ive been testing this error in over 12 differance platforms to get it working (i run dedicated servers for an ISP) I can confirm its definatly a Dual CPU issue with both Intel and AMD but the problem does show up on some single CPU AMD systems with XP. The error it seems is due to JK2's detection of the CPU's. Ill be getting a Xeon with hyperthreading soon to see if that has issues as well
VooDooo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2002, 12:04 PM   #91
blueicee

I have a Prestonia with Hyper-Threading enabled and yes, there is a problem. i posted my system specs above. i tried turning off Hyper-Threading it worked one time. when i exited and went back in, it would no longer run in MP mode. single player mode works well in all cases.
blueicee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2002, 09:54 PM   #92
sponz

Sunday night bumpage. How bout a response from our friends at Raven now?

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:01 AM   #93
raiden

well i have made a second fix.
http://www.htwm.de/~sdoempke/loader.rar

my first fix did not work because the filecheck&memory check at the beginning noticed that the file has been changed (-> entities problem).
now i'm using a loader which waits 80ms and then modifies the file ... just in time before the div by 0 comes ...
i havent tried it too long but it seems to work ... but it is possible that the timing isnt perfect.

hope this will help out until the official patch is released.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:12 AM   #94
sponz

Good job Raiden. I will try the fix when I get home from work (shortly). I respect the fact that a consumer is working on a product that other consumers have spent lots of hard earned money on, and the company that created it won't acknowledge the problem. (notice the frustration here)? If your patch dosen't work, im gonna take the game to walmart, then Im going to ask if I can return it. If they will not let me return it, I will then proceed to break it into MANY MANY small pieces and just leave it on their customer service counter. I wasted 50 bucks on a game and I'd get more enjoyment out of breaking the damn thing than I will playing it!

I can't seem to download your fix either. U sure you got the link right? *prays that your fix works*

Once again, I applaud the job you have done, and the fact that you have given others a sense of hope that it can be resolved soon.

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:20 AM   #95
raiden

@sponz

hmm the link should work ... well he works for me :-| .

and i had worked with emorog (he is from raven) to fix the problem ... dont know why it takes so long to release the fix but i guess they want to make a big patch which solves some other bugs too.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #96
sponz

Raiden, Ok, downloaded it at home (prolly due to some DNS issues that I couldn't download at work). Giving it a try now...we'll see. I will report back with my findings shortly.

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
Old 04-08-2002, 12:59 PM   #97
sponz

Ok. Couple of things for everyone out there. The loader file worked great on my machien so far. I played from the time of my last post to this post. Quite a while. Not a single problem. Looks like you might have gotten whatever the problem was fixed. Or atleast bandaged up. Good work to you!

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
Old 04-08-2002, 05:24 PM   #98
below_average

Exclamation DUAL ATHLON MP 760MP

It works fine in Single Player mode. If I try to play Multiplayer my system crashes. I get a "Windows XP has encountered an error" message right when the game engine tries to initialize/detect my CPU.

Here is my system config:

Dual Processor AMD Athlon MP 1600+
Tyan Tiger S2640 AMD 760 MP
256MB PC2100 DDR
3.5" HD FDD
30.7 GB ATA-100 IBM 7200rpm HDD
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR
Windows XP Professional
Adaptec 2940UW
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM
Pioneer SCSI CD-ROM
Creative Labs 2X EIDE DVD-ROM
D-Link DFE-530TX

Any ideas why I can play single player fine but not the multiplayer version?

wth?
below_average is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2002, 06:11 PM   #99
ru486

patch didn't work for me I still get ParsePacket error.....
ru486 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2002, 08:59 PM   #100
JonRicoPa

Works like a charm for me. I am finally playing multiplayer and I have to say that it looks really good!

Thanks a lot raiden. I really appreciate the effort you must have put into this.
JonRicoPa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #101
JonRicoPa

to below_average - I take it that you have tried raiden's patch?

to ru486 - You need to make sure that you have restored the mp exe to the same version as came with your original cd. If that fails to work then you probably have a timing issue with raidens patch.

Just some tips and info in case you guys have not tried that yet.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #102
sponz

Ok, just another update. I can't confirm it yet, but something to consider. I did get a packet error (standard message) with raiden's update. It was off of a Linux server. I got the error twice, but I know for sure that only one was a linux server. But, i was able to play for too long (several hours before going to my microsoft active directory class). heh. wonder if something is different between linux/w32 servers...

-=-=-=-=-=-
Can I have a dollar?
Old 04-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #103
khankinsjr

thanks raiden

Raiden, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to help fix the problem with Multiplayer lauching. It works great! I am greatful...Many frustating crashes later...heheh...Thanks again...
khankinsjr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #104
KandyFLip

raiden! I love you man! errr... I think hehe I only played for about an hour.... but I PLAYED FOR AN HOUR!!! You rock. Thanx a lot.
KandyFLip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2002, 02:11 AM   #105
uclajeff

patch works for me

Raiden's patch worked for me too.
You have my thanks Raiden!
uclajeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2002, 02:15 AM   #106
jingram

Not just duallie boxes....p4 here!

Well I too have been searching for information on this strange crash. I own a duallie 933 P3 system and a slew of other boxes. I use my p4 1.6a for most of my duties. This is what I have come up with. I have yanked sound cards, nics, ram, power supplies, anything and everything that I can think of that might result in an instability. In my case I think that the MP looks for a legitimate processor type. If it detects one then all is golden, if not, then it errors out with the message we have all seen. MP works fine for me when I run my chip at its rated speed. If I bump it 50mhz up however, it dies. This is a chip that previously to this game has been crunching prime for 3 weeks straight and has been through endless loops of 3dmark 2001 SE, sandra burn in, seti, prime, wolfman demo, etc. all at 2.4ghz. The setup is as stable as can be with no quirks and no downtime. Now, it COULD be related to Multiprocessing. I noticed in my bios that I had a MIPS setting, which I found to be quite strange for a single proc board. My only thought was that it must be a setting for use when hyperthreading becomes mainstream. Since I always used 1.1 on my p3 duallies, that is what I set this board to and let it go about its way. Well since then, I have reformated this box twice now because of this game and tested just about every setting, piece of hardware I can think of. New video cards, sound cards, nics, ram, motherboard, have all been through the ringer. Still no dice. Not sure exactly is wrong with the MP implementation compared to the SP implementation, but something is drastically wrong. Oh, one more thing. The parse errors you see are because you have installed on of the no cd cracks. I thought that maybe the CD was screwing things up so I tried cracking mine. Still no dice. At this point, I have given up on MP.

Rgds,
Jack Ingram
Network Manager
PTB Corp.
jingram is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2002, 06:58 AM   #107
R5D4

Oke i will give raiden's fix a try on my system:

Tyan Tiger MP
dual Athlon 1600+
256MB
Win2k SP2
40GB Maxtor 7200RPM

member of the FJK clan
R5D4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2002, 08:54 PM   #108
Tracker00

Re: Not just duallie boxes....p4 here!

I'm not using the no cd crack, but I still get the parse error. Anyone else have this problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by jingram
The parse errors you see are because you have installed on of the no cd cracks. I thought that maybe the CD was screwing things up so I tried cracking mine. Still no dice. At this point, I have given up on MP.

Rgds,
Jack Ingram
Network Manager
PTB Corp.
Tracker00 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2002, 01:13 AM   #109
Nicao

Hmm interesting, the box that I am sitting at right now (at work) runs jk2 fine. Both Mulitplayer and single player. Here are the system specs.

Tyan Tiger MP
2x 1.2Ghz Athlon MP
Geforce 4 Mx 440
Sb 128
Win 2k SP2

I'm sure you guys have flashed your bios for this board (there have been a few important flashes) and are using the right drivers such as the Amd agp driver and whatnot. I'm not sure what what makes my system different but it works fine here.

Life is a toilet. As soon as you get caught up, someone flushes you again.
Nicao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2002, 03:00 AM   #110
raiden

@Nicao
well it looks as if this problem doesnt exist on cpus with an lower frequency even if 1200mhz are not too far away.

@Tracker00

could you give some infos on your system ...
Old 04-10-2002, 03:39 AM   #111
Rend Flesh

Quote:
Originally posted by raiden
well i have made a second fix.
http://www.htwm.de/~sdoempke/loader.rar

my first fix did not work because the filecheck&memory check at the beginning noticed that the file has been changed (-> entities problem).
now i'm using a loader which waits 80ms and then modifies the file ... just in time before the div by 0 comes ...
i havent tried it too long but it seems to work ... but it is possible that the timing isnt perfect.

hope this will help out until the official patch is released.
First, thanks raiden. I was able to play for about 45 minutes. MP locked up after that. I havn't been able to play MP at all until now. I get the same crash as everyone else does.
my system:

Dual Processor AMD Athlon MP 1900's
Tyan Tiger S2466N AMD 760 MPX
1GB Corsair PC2100 DDR
2x 100 GB ATA-100JB Western Digital HD
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
Windows XP Professional
Lite-ON 163B DVD
Plextor 12/10/32A CDRW

Rend Flesh
Rend Flesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2002, 11:34 AM   #112
R5D4

Oke i can play, so many THANKS, but after same time i also get those errors

what causes those errors??

member of the FJK clan
Old 04-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #113
raiden

@R5D4

well this parse error is caused by a modification of the file ... to make sure nobody is able to cheat by altering the game.
unfortunatly i have to come after the filecheck and before the div by 0 ... the loader try to do this by waiting some time befor he alters the code ... but since every system runs at a different speed this doesnt have to work every time :-(
i will try to find a way to fix it.

Last edited by raiden; 04-10-2002 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #114
Tracker00

Thanks raiden, here are my system specs:

Asus A7M266-D BIOS 1005
512 mb RAM
2x Athlon XP 1700+
WinXP
Tracker00 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2002, 04:56 AM   #115
raiden

okey here is a 2nd loader for everyone who have those parse entities problem with the first one ... since this one dont use a timer (so it should work for everyone at the right moment) and most importent he doesnt even modify the code so there shouldnt be any reasons for the file protection to stop the game (well i hope so).

http://www.htwm.de/~sdoempke/loader2.rar

use this one like the old ... put it in the same directory like the unmodified jk2mp.exe.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:42 AM   #116
JonRicoPa

Thanks again raiden.

If you dont modify the code, how does this new fix work?
Old 04-11-2002, 09:12 AM   #117
raiden

@ JonRicoPa

well the game does have a backup cpudetection (which is very inaccurate but works on the smp kernel) for the case that the os doesnt support features that are needed to run the standart one.
and in the code he jumps to the standart one if everything is ok ... but i dont let him jump (so that the backup is used) by setting the instruction pointer to the next instruction when he reaches the instruction line of the jump (so that the jump instruction will not be executed).
so the code is never touched ... only the execution has changed for one short moment.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #118
R5D4

Oke thanks for ya efforts man !!! could you not go work at lucasarts????m

maybe you could also look why Redalert2 and Emperor battle for dune ain't workin on a dual AMD system

member of the FJK clan
Old 04-11-2002, 02:49 PM   #119
Atomicone

Lucasarts? This dude could be doing bigger things than that, infact he probably is!

Cheers dude! The hack works great!

Who's up for some Duelling???

Nuclear Warheads For All!
Atomicone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 PM   #120
blueicee

Unhappy loader2 didn't work for me either

well, loader2 let me play for about 1 minute before it kicked me to the desktop. ever since it kicked me out, i get to select the server, it then loads up and immediately exits back to the desktop. have to reboot to be able to play for 1 minute, then repear the above.

my system specs are posted above.

i still cannot believe there hasn't been a patch from ravensoft or lucasarts for this. actually, i cannot believe this made it through QA.

ciao.
blueicee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Help Center > Technical Help > Dual Cpu???