lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TPM Q & A
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-05-2001, 01:37 AM   #81
Darth_Simpson

Would you consider giving us a screenshot of Mace?
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2001, 04:57 AM   #82
Zanzibar

(sigh) Yes, I have a screenshot of Mace, but for some reason, it's not coming up. Try this link, but be forewarned, it may not work. I'll try again later tomorrow, but right now, I'm too tired.
http://www.geocities.com/zanzibar106/mace.jpg

If it DOES work for anyone, somebody post and say so.
http://www.geocities.com/zanzibar106/ZANZIBAR.html
A quick-and-dirty effort to display the picture via a bogus homepage. Ah well.

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Zanzibar ]
Zanzibar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2001, 06:04 AM   #83
Redwing

LOL! That page is pretty funny just because it looks so phony!

Yes, copy and paste the link and the Mace Windu pic works. BTW Panaka CAN swim, but it looks like he's walking in the water. Odd.

"supa-twisty green ribbon of death"?? What, exactly, was THAT?
Old 06-05-2001, 06:44 AM   #84
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Nice Pic there Zanzi .
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2001, 10:18 AM   #85
Darth Oosha

Question

Why is the voice acting so bad? Was there some sort of legal issue preventing you from just recording dialogue from the movie?
Darth Oosha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2001, 02:57 PM   #86
Boba Rhett

Red face

But they never said lots of the things in the game in the movie and I thought the voice acting was pretty good.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:02 PM   #87
Zanzibar

Yeah, we had to do the dialogue separately because we had so much more of it than in the movie. Come to think of it, I doubt there's one line that's exactly the same in the movie as in the game. Also, the big-name stars would cost a LOT of money, so for most characters, we got sound-alikes. Jar-Jar, Watto, and Anakin all reprised their voices from the movie, however.

The 'Supa-Twisty Green Ribbon of Death' is Panaka's R-65 blaster shot. That's our programmer's pet name for it.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:40 PM   #88
Jedi SuperBuen

bwahahah Mace looks kewl!

It's not the kill
It's the thrill of the chase
Jedi SuperBuen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2001, 01:30 AM   #89
Boba Rhett

Wink

Is it just me or does Mace look alot like a red x?
Old 06-06-2001, 07:56 AM   #90
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Yeah... he does.
Looks like your 2 Sith apprentices have better eyes eh SuperBuen .
Old 06-06-2001, 07:29 PM   #91
Jedi SuperBuen

lol!

Yeah I realized it didn't post after and was too lazy to fix it...

You need to go to Zanzi page to view it... It's pretty kewl!

It's not the kill
Old 06-07-2001, 10:53 AM   #92
AriBen_Kenobi

Lightbulb

Ok,
I was just wondering, why does LEC care so much about posting stuff? I mean, they aren't gonna make really any money off of it because everyone said it sucked (it was a fun arcade game that sucked because it could have been so much more to LEC slaughtered and foced Big Ape to kill this game), so why would they actually care if someone distributed a mod or something? Also, Zanzibar, how come in Coruscant or in Naboo theed generator the "fade" effects never seem to work and I can see everywhere, and how hard would it be for you to get them to let you distribute your stuff? Also, if they would let you, could you like release a Darth Maul and other mods?

Dan
Old 06-08-2001, 11:20 AM   #93
JediMaster Qui-Gon

Smile

Hi Zanzibar!! It's me LordMaul I just changed my screen name to JediMaster Qui-Gon.
I had one other question for you,
I've been working on a Jedi Knight Level and I wanted to know if just for fun there's a way to get some of the character wireframes and convert them to JK?? I know the Mats in TPM are 16-bit and JK is 256 color, but I could convert those too.

A few more questions

*What are the files in the LEVEL folder??
*Did the original story line of the Zanzibar project varry from what it is now?? I heard something like, Zanzibar project was originaly going to be about a Jedi who crashed on a forsaken planet???#%#

*One last one, Is there a way to convert any of the matirial in TPM to JK?

Sorry to bug ya with all mu quistions
(how do I get a good rating?)
------------------------------------------
Some people are followers and some are
followers of followers
------------------------------------------
Old 06-08-2001, 03:54 PM   #94
Zanzibar

I think LucasFILM (not Lucasarts) is being a bit more tight with the licensed properties of Episodes 1-3. I don't have a specific idea, but just the kind of stuff that we heard from the Ranch was "don't stray too far from the storyline of the movie," and the WAY they said it was kind of weird. We got word fairly early on that the Ranch frowned on making TPM editable, and that became one of the reasons why we could rationalize not spending time on a manual for the tool. The one instance that told me that the Ranch was really paying attention to the game was when we got word that the Gamorrean Guards on Tatooine needed to come out of the game. No specific explanation, just "Lose the Gamorrean Guards. Make them something else." Thus I switched them to the grey-skinned guards you see now (designed by a Lucasarts artist named Martin Yee, BTW, who did a spectacular job for all the various tasks we asked him to do).

This kind of ties in with why LEC is so reticent to allow new skins to be released, like Mace and Maul. For the most part, though, I think they just don't want to deal with it. I could indeed release the Mace model I have, but if I really wanted to do a Maul model, it would take quite a bit of time to animate him, which I simply don't have right now.

(Hey AriBen, not sure what fade problem you're talking about. Can you be more specific?)

LordMaul/JM Qui - I can't release the models, but yes, I can create .3do and .key files, and also .mat files. We are basically using the same JK modeling system. Also, each model only uses 256 colors, but there's a specific palette assigned to each model (saves a LOTTA texture space), and the game itself is rendered in 16-bit.

The .b3d files are the compiled maps. They include all the AI information, enemy placements, textures, etc. etc.

Yes, Big Ape was originally supposed to do an Eps 4-6 game starting in early 1997, but then somebody did the math and realized that there would be no character-based game released for Ep1 at the same time as the movie (Racer was vehicle-based), so after much reconsideration, our focus was changed to follow Ep1. Our original storyline, as you mentioned, would follow a teenager who takes over for an old Jedi Knight that is mortally wounded when his starship crashes near the boy's home. The Jedi is carrying something of great power that EVERYBODY wants, but can't continue his quest. His dying words to the boy are to continue, this item must not fall into the hands of the Dark Side. So everyone's involved, the Hutts, the Empire, mercenaries, bounty hunters, and even the Rebellion who want to help. Would have been a lotta fun to make

As I mentioned above, yes I can make materials, but all the TPM files I have are basically property of LEC, so I can't release them.
Old 06-09-2001, 07:24 AM   #95
AriBen_Kenobi

Ok,

In all the guide, and in the installation setup, on Coruscant it shows an orange fade effect so that you can't see beyond a few buildings past you, and in the Theed generator it shows a purple fade effect, so you can't see all the way around and the bottom.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:20 AM   #96
Zanzibar

Got it. We set up a 'fog effect' to lessen the render distance from the camera. The more polys you have, the slower the game is, yadda yadda, so by fading in fog at distance, it lets us cut down the number of polys onscreen at any given time for the vistas etc.

We'd have loved to have a huge draw distance for the game, but we kept hearing from the programmers how short we'd need to keep it to keep the game running at a decent framerate.
Old 06-16-2001, 03:06 PM   #97
Tie Guy

Hey Zanzibar, thanks for doing all this. I've had a great time reading t all.

Anyway, i have a question about the force push. Most of the time it would simply knock them over but occasionally it would kill them. Was this intentional? Also, why didn't you have it kill them like in the movie?
Old 06-17-2001, 06:39 AM   #98
Zanzibar

Early on, the impression we got from the script was that the force push itself doesn't do any damage, it just gives you velocity - if, at that point, you ran into a wall, the IMPACT would kill you, not the push itself, and that's the model that the TPM Force Push was built upon. For the most part, the movie lived up to that, except once in the Trade Federation ship, where Obi-Wan force pushes two or three droids down and they STAY down. In our game, if you pushed them down and they didn't hit a wall, they survived and got back up. Personally, that made more sense to me. I don't know why those droids in the Trade Federation ship died. If you remember, when the Queen is rescued by the Jedis the first time, the push is used, but they hit the wall - THAT is what killed them.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:18 PM   #99
Zanzibar

Go go go! Keep 'em coming! We're almost at 100

Seriously, though, I'm having a blast. We made a lot of assumptions, a lot of mistakes, and a lot of sky-high dreams shot down, but all in all it turned out to be a pretty decent SW game, and it's fun to talk with you about it.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:47 PM   #100
Jedi SuperBuen

Zanzibar... It think I speak for everyone when I say it was awesome having you here to answer all the Q's and concerns we have!

I can't really think of anything else I want to ask.

We already discussed the Force powers. As well as better duelling. We begged for patches/mods. We want a level editor.

Do you think there is anyway that LucasArts/films will agree to release those? Maybe if we e-mail 'em? (please not another petition).

Zanzi: what are you working on now?

It's not the kill
Old 06-19-2001, 08:03 PM   #101
Zanzibar

As far as new levels/mods/patches, I believe the answer is a firm no. I/we have given LEC several opportunities to take us up on possible add-ons, and their response has been consistently unenthusiastic.
Emailing LEC would probably have little to no effect upon them, as their resources are completely reallocated from TPM onto other things. Without allocated resources, nothing gets done in a big company like that.

I'm working on one-and-a-half semi-secret projects right now Doing model/rigging work for a project based on a certain MTV property (don't ask/don't tell), and also doing some hoping that we're gonna land an Xbox conversion of a PS2 game, 'cuz that game is gonna be a BLAST. Reminds me of TPM on many levels with regards to gameplay, but with a totally different license.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:43 PM   #102
Redwing

101st post
Old 06-20-2001, 03:10 AM   #103
Tie Guy

Wow, lets have a party!!!
Old 06-23-2001, 05:30 AM   #104
Redwing

103rd.
Old 06-24-2001, 04:59 PM   #105
Sykes

Two things-
How do I get to Jira and recieve the Paddy Frog
and
Is there a code for invincibility. In Big.Lab it says
-You don't deserve to die with opinions like that
Thanx
Old 06-24-2001, 09:17 PM   #106
Zanzibar

Gavyn,

Jira was axed late in the project. We kept waiting for photo reference of Jira but never got it. Add to that the fact that Jabba's Porter (which is the OTHER end of the Paddy Frog quest) had a dialogue tree that had a series of bugs, it was easier to amputate both than spend time to de-bug the Porter and come up with some half-assed model for Jira. The whole side-quest didn't give much as a reward, I believe it might have been a rocket launcher or something else unique to the level. However, both characters' lines were left in the dialogue file for some reason, and their .wav files might still even be on the CD.

BTW, I was the one responsible for the bugs in the Jabba Porter dialogue...I set it up in a way similar to Watto's Flunky and some of the speaking characters on the Garden level, where you could leave the conversation any time, yet come back and pick it up where you left off. However, for some reason he kept forgetting who you were - I think his active/inactive distance was set too low.

There isn't an invincibility code. We had one for debugging purposes, but our project leaders decided that they didn't want that code in the final build.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:54 AM   #107
Dave Maul

Well actually, there's a debug code in the PSX version. I think you highlight options and Triangle, O, left, L1, R2, Square, O, left (if that doesn't work, try holding select before you do the code, it's been a while since I did it). There you'll find things like invincibility, level select and a SFX library.

Puh... shows what you know Zanzibar
Old 06-25-2001, 03:52 PM   #108
Zanzibar

DOH - absolutely right Dave...man, I keep forgetting about the differences between the PSX and PC versions.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:33 PM   #109
Sykes

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Sorry to keep plaging you with questions, but when I speak to Kreg, he says things like
-Remember, the password is (i forget).
-Make sure you talk to Lim.
-Ananbar has some explosives.

I can find Anabar, but where do I use the password and where can I find Lim?

Oh, and I tried that trick, renaming sithjedi.baf queen.baf. Your character becomes invisible! He still makes sounds and stuff, but you can't see him. Oh well...
Old 06-25-2001, 07:36 PM   #110
DanJericho

Zanzibar, were you presenting a game at E3 or just looking around?

Also, I'm a computer engineering & computer science major in college. I'll graduate next May. I've noticed at Lucasarts.com and some other gaming developers websites that you have to have game developing experience in order to qualify for a job. If everybody requires experience, how is anybody new gonna get into the industry? Are there any suggestions you might have for soon-to-be college graduates who want to get into the gaming industry?

Also, TPM was great.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:43 PM   #111
Dave Maul

Smile

Quote:
DOH - absolutely right Dave...man, I keep forgetting about the differences between the PSX and PC versions.
Hey, everyone makes mistayks.
Old 06-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #112
Zanzibar

Quote:
Originally posted by DanJericho:
Zanzibar, were you presenting a game at E3 or just looking around?

Also, I'm a computer engineering & computer science major in college. I'll graduate next May. I've noticed at Lucasarts.com and some other gaming developers websites that you have to have game developing experience in order to qualify for a job. If everybody requires experience, how is anybody new gonna get into the industry? Are there any suggestions you might have for soon-to-be college graduates who want to get into the gaming industry?

Also, TPM was great.

Dan,

I was just looking around this year. Our current project is waaaay too early to show. Always good to keep tabs on what you're going to be up against, so you know what to include to compete.

If you want to get into the games industry as a programmer, get to know DirectX programming, C++, and try to get involved in a few PS2/Gamecube workshops - I have no idea if you're in any position to get to the PS2/GC stuff or not. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know. There's gonna be a HUGE demand for graphics and physics programmers over the next several years, with 3 high-end game machines plus gargantuan technological advances in the PC market. Also, if you can find out as much as you can about programming for networking/online components, you'll be in GREAT shape to get into the industry.

How to do it? I don't know, other than talk to your instructors - they're paid to field those kinds of questions during office hours. If they don't know who to contact, you're in the wrong school A lot of game companies hire directly out of the schools, and believe me, working for a small company is nice, it gives you a lot of responsibility for seeing various tasks through. Yes, a lot of 'big' companies require experience beforehand, but some also do hire directly out of the tech schools.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:03 PM   #113
Zanzibar

Gavyn,

Yes it's a first - you gotta remind me what level you're on and which guy you're talking about. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Mos Espa Arena level, but as I recall, Kreg is the guy sitting in the bar with Watto's Flunky. Is this the guy you're talking about who is telling you the stuff about anabar etc?
Old 06-28-2001, 07:42 PM   #114
d_eisenga

Question

My question isn't really about the game itself, but...

In the little movie after escaping from tatooine, why is Darth Maul's lightsaber actually a longer version af obi-wan's?
Was the 3d modeler too lazy or too busy to make a new model?
Old 07-01-2001, 08:18 PM   #115
Redwing

Smile

I'm back, just so you know Ummm...person who just posted last, Zanzibar was the 3D modekler you just insulted (I believe)
Old 07-01-2001, 09:07 PM   #116
d_eisenga

Really? BTW, that was no insult, it was more of a question. If the answer really is that the modeler was too lazy, it could be cosidered an insult. My gues is he was just too busy or something (since lack of time virtually KILLED TPM)

They should really make an improved version one of thes days!
Old 07-02-2001, 05:00 AM   #117
Zanzibar

Well, personally, I didn't take it as an insult, but then again I didn't build or animate the model anyways

The cutscenes were handled through LEC's in-house artists - with the exception of the cutscene before the Mos Espa Arena level, which I lit and animated the camera and added spectators and racing pods and their crews to an existing Arena model built by the Racer team. Yes, some corners were cut that perhaps shouldn't have been, but all in all, I think the cutscenes turned out a lot better than we had hoped. Which brings me to a story....

We had been sort of helping design the cutscenes, meaning near the beginning of the project we sat down with some of the 3d artists in charge of the production, and we went over shot by shot what we thought we needed. After almost a year, in Xmas of 1998, the cutscene team said they were ready for us to 'sign off' on the cutscenes. We saw rendered 'final' versions, and a LOT of them were absolutely horrifying. There was a tad of model construction that didn't look good, but most of it was just some bad staging problems and cleanup that needed to happen. Initially LEC wanted to go with them as-is, mainly because they had already budgeted most of the 3d artists to start work on other projects. Well, after a little convincing, LEC really made the smart move and re-allocated a lot of manpower to make them work. And quite simply, they did, and my hat is off to LEC and Chris Schultz and the rest of them for sticking with it to make the cutscenes a bonus instead of a liability. Despite a lot of little problems, all in all, they came out rather well.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:26 AM   #118
Redwing

Ya, actually I enjoyed the cutscenes from TPM (exept maybe the weird looking people, oh well ) But not bad.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:47 AM   #119
Dave Maul

Here's a good question about Lucas and his companies' honesty:

In a magazine I just got, it has a feature on Episode I easter eggs (ETs, etc.) and reads this:

"As a way to link Episode I with previous Star Wars films, the crew also planted a Jawa sandcrawler near the Podrace Arena and Luke Skywalker's landspeeder on the streets of Mos Espa (it's painted green). These two Easter Eggs can also be discovered in the video game Episode I: The Phantom Menace from LucasArts."

So did you include that sandcrawler section because LucasFilm wanted one in the proper film, or was it a coincidence and LucasBooks are making it look like there's lotsa communication between companies?

Also, the same question for the landspeeder, did you inclue it because Georgey did or just to make it look more Tatooiney?
Old 07-02-2001, 02:11 PM   #120
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Smile

Now THOSE were interesting questions Dave. *bows*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > Episode I: The Phantom Menace > TPM Q & A