lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TPM Q & A
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-02-2001, 03:34 PM   #121
Dave Maul

I do try
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-02-2001, 07:48 PM   #122
Zanzibar

Well, the landspeeder we actually had photo set reference of, we knew it was going to be in the movie, so I made one.

The sandcrawler was completely built by one of our level designers on a whim, just a side-quest for something to do. I think you get some flash grenades if you actually rescue the R2 unit.

No, there wasn't any communication as to the sandcrawler or the landspeeder. We knew there were Jawas, so we naturally assumed there would be a sandcrawler too.
Zanzibar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2001, 05:40 AM   #123
Dave Maul

Smile

And so the powers of the Lucas companies pull the wool over the eyes of thousands...

*slap*

Wha, sorry, went into 'long speech' mode for a sec
Old 07-06-2001, 02:57 PM   #124
darth terrat

Question

How come there is no level in which you fight
in space or podrace
Old 07-06-2001, 03:53 PM   #125
Zanzibar

We didn't do "vehicle" levels because 1. we ran outta time, and 2. LEC had other products that would perform the same function, so they didn't want to be basically 'competing' with their own products.

We had some vehicles in mind, namely a drivable STAP and AAT, plus an underwater sub level after Otoh Gunga, but all of those got axed in December of 1998 when we saw that we would have no tuning time. At that point, it became easier to simply focus on the "human" player aspect than making a playable "vehicle".

Add to that, Ep1 Racer would be hitting the shelves the same day as TPM, so if we actually included some podracing sections, it might lessen the demand for Racer. Some people would buy TPM and play it all the way through before buying Racer, and if TPM had racing action, people might think that "well, there's this podracing game, but I played some of it already." If anything, download the Racer demo, play TPM up until the podrace scene, save the game, exit, play the Demo and then continue ...LOL.

As for why there was no space combat, well, you got me. Same reasons, basically, but I agree that it would have been nice. But not a lot of people would want to play Anakin
Old 07-06-2001, 04:36 PM   #126
Zathu Koon

ok guys...im gonna try to get darth maul playable through zanzibars method...all i haev is conman, and i cant find a way to rename though....

where can i get that other oen that was menchioned on this thread?

[ Name: [MsR]Zathu
[ Server: 216.226.136.120:29070
Zathu Koon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2001, 04:43 PM   #127
Zathu Koon

zanzibar, whats the file name of the darth maul file?

Old 07-06-2001, 05:12 PM   #128
Zathu Koon

ok i tried...it didnt work

I used conman, i deleted the obiwan file, and exported the sithjedi file (also tried jawagun file) out of the big file, renamed it to obiwan, added it back to big, loaded the game, got an assault hander message pop up, and the gamed closed...then i tried the level where i am the queen, and did the iamobi cheat, and i got a black screen and quit the program...so i guess other charactors were never meant to be

Old 07-06-2001, 08:01 PM   #129
Zanzibar

Hmm, ok, well not sure what's going on, but you don't have to re-add it back to big.lab, you can just copy it into the root of your TPM directory (wherever wmain.exe is).

For some reason, we left in the code that would override the big.lab version if a same-name version exists in the root directory. Not sure if that is the reason you're getting an assert handler error, in fact I doubt it. What version of Windows are you running?

I'm not even certain that the sithjedi.baf doesn't contain some specialized code that the program recognizes, and tries to apply it to the player module, which causes the error...I'll look into it further.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:21 PM   #130
Zanzibar

Gah. Ok, not sure what happened here, but I keep getting the same error too. Once upon a time, someone said that they actually got Maul walking around, anyone recall that?

It could be a Win98 problem, or even a Win2k/ME problem. In any case, I can no longer get it to run, because it seems to be looking for a lightsaber node, which Maul has, but is named differently.
Old 07-07-2001, 04:24 PM   #131
Zathu Koon

i am running win 98

Old 07-10-2001, 08:16 AM   #132
Redwing

Red face

Whoa...umm...weird...hey Yoda the Dj, I recognize you from the really OLD posts...
Old 07-11-2001, 10:34 PM   #133
Redwing

Hey Zanzibar, what exactly did you do in TPM? You know, just so next time I play it I can look at something and say, hey, I know the guy who put that there plus I need to keep this thread going
Old 07-11-2001, 11:31 PM   #134
Zanzibar

GAH, that's a 3-pager

I built, textured, and animated all of the character models for the game. I also did some of the rendering work for the game sprites, and I helped direct the LEC team putting together the cutscenes.

Plus I did a lot of AI placement, and wrote a lot of the AI dialogue trees (although a lot of our original lines were rewritten 'to sound more like the movie').

Hmm, seems like I did a lot more work that 2 paragraphs worth...ah well
Old 07-13-2001, 06:58 PM   #135
Redwing

Hey, why indeed were the lines changed? Like in the cutscene for the first game level and the beginning of the TPM movie Obi-Wan says "I have a bad feeling about this." Then, in the game, Qui-Gon says, "Your feelings serve you well, Obi-Wan...but don't let them cloud your judgement."

But in the movie, he simply says, "I don't sense anything."

Was there a particular reason for this?
Old 07-13-2001, 08:18 PM   #136
Zanzibar

The lines were written without being able to look at the script. We had an idea of how particular scenes were going to be played, but we weren't allowed to have a copy of the script to base our lines upon, simply because the script was always changing. So, we came up with lines that fit OUR version of the scenes, and then Haden Blackman (current Content Advisor on SW-Galaxies) rewrote our lines to sound more like the movie.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:06 PM   #137
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Hmm.. I think it would have been fun to see YOUR version of all the lines .
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2001, 11:58 AM   #138
Dave Maul

Wink

OBI-WAN (On Ship): We don't have anything for trade, Master. The Queen's wardrobe, perhaps. But not enough for the amounts you need.
QUI-GON (In Mos Espa): Hmmm... maybe we can persuade them to help us through the aid of a meal. The inhabitants here look hungry.
OBI-WAN: But where are you going to find meat?
(Jar-Jar wanders over)
JAR-JAR: Hey there, Qui-Gone!
QUI-GON: Hmmmm...

HADEN BLACKMAN: No no no! You guys can't kill Jar-Jar, he's in the final... oh... err... I mean... nothing. Just don't kill him.
RAY WEST: (whiny voice) Awww, but he's annoying!
HADEN BLACKMAN: Hmmm... I see this means a lot to you... tell ya what, we'll add a Jar-Jar model into one of the N-1's that gets blown up at the end.
RAY WEST: Result!

Old 07-14-2001, 01:07 PM   #139
Jedi SuperBuen

Hehehe

Hey zanzi, not sure if I asked this already (I know I meant to at one point) but is there any "easter eggs" in TPM? You know, stuff you would only know that we should look for...

It's not the kill
It's the thrill of the chase
Jedi SuperBuen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2001, 03:26 AM   #140
Redwing

You mean stuff we would only notice if we knew it was there? Hmmmm I haven't noticed anything that I can remember...
Old 07-16-2001, 07:22 PM   #141
Jedi SuperBuen

Riiight because I'm talking ultra super duper top secret stuff that no one in the Universe would know but the Ultimate Zanzibar the Great... Like d'uh! We wouldn't be able to see 'em with our peasant eyes...

It's not the kill
Old 07-16-2001, 07:39 PM   #142
Zanzibar

Hmm...well, there was something that I put in that I haven't seen anyone mention, but then again, it COULD have been deleted at the last second by the Level Designers...

On Coruscant, when you're talking to the horned guy (who give you the tour tickets), we originally had a Millennium Falcon model flying around behind him. As I recall, we were waiting for LEC to notice it and tell us to take it out, but that never happened as far as I know. Has anyone seen it? It's pretty clear in the background while you're in conversation with the guy.

I'll say again, it could have been taken out. I know it didn't make the PSX version, because the ship flew into where one of the buildings was on that level version, so it got axed. If you don't see it, don't be too surprised.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:43 PM   #143
Zanzibar

Oh yeah, and there's exactly ONE Naboo Pilot that runs across the hangar during the beginning of the Assault on Theed in-game cutscene.

Oh, and there are celebrities that exist as bit parts in TPM, you describe the celeb and where he/she is:

Sean Connery
David Bowie
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson
Old 07-17-2001, 05:17 AM   #144
Redwing

WHAT?????? Great, you tell me just when I can't reinstall TPM on the computer for the next two weeks
Old 07-17-2001, 05:55 AM   #145
Boba Rhett

This has probably been asked before but is there a way to take an ingame screenshot?
Old 07-17-2001, 06:59 AM   #146
Dave Maul

Wink

STUPID FRICKIN' PSX VERSION! *throws stupid frickin' PSX version out of very high window*
Old 07-17-2001, 07:11 PM   #147
Master Qui-Gon

Yeah, push Print Screen then past into a graphic editor.

This was a cool thread. I enjoyed reading all the responses. There would have been fewer questions if people had bothered to read, but it was still interesting. I can't imagine how Zanzibar can keep answering the same questions without getting tired of it, but more power to him.

Here's a fun question for you. Sometimes you can get pushed through a solid wall, maybe to another part of the level, but you can't get back because all the doors are closed. Any way around this problem? Without using any codes, I got Obi-Wan to play the queen's part of the Assault level.

I don't know why people complain about all the bugs. I thought they were half the fun. Probably more than that, actually.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Master Qui-Gon ]

Master Qui-Gon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2001, 07:46 PM   #148
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

I second that... some of the bugs sure are fun
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2001, 07:52 PM   #149
Zanzibar

Master Qui,

Nope, some of the collision issues really foul up the game sometimes, and you're definitely experiencing them. See, a lot of levels basically were built with the EXPRESS INTENT that you NEVER get through Wall A while you're playing Character X, yet sometimes it happens. We never made it possible to get back to where you're supposed to be, because, y'know, you weren't supposed to be where you're at to begin with. We get sheepish grins when we mention those kinda bugs to the programmers nowadays
Old 07-18-2001, 05:23 AM   #150
Redwing

I got pushed back through the Theed hangar doors once by Darth Maul

BTW did anybody know that (using a trainer for invinciblity) thermal detonators can be used to get through the blue-laser wall maze near the "pit room" on the last level? Pretty funny. The shock waves have a propelling force.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:11 PM   #151
Jedi SuperBuen

Quote:
Originally posted by Zanzibar:
Oh, and there are celebrities that exist as bit parts in TPM, you describe the celeb and where he/she is:

Sean Connery
David Bowie
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson
Where? Where? At least gimme hints as to where they are at!

It's not the kill
Old 07-18-2001, 03:58 PM   #152
Master Qui-Gon

Which version of the game do you play, Redwing? If you're talking about the hangar doors Maul ran though earlier in the assault level, I can get knocked through there almost at will. You just back into the wall and hold the attack button. You should be able to bloack the attacks, but eventually you'll get kicked through. You can't get out again though. I even pulled a little trick (from another part of the level) to get the other hangar door to stay open. The first door is easy to get open, the second one I got only once and I haven't been able to duplicate it.

They may give you sheepish grins, but it usually gives me a grin too. Because you can save it anytime, the bugs are cool. Did you know you can survive the fall in that room where Obi-Wan jumps between those two platformes (the room where he has to turn on the lights). The floor is solid, but the wall are not and you just walk off the edge of the world. Also, if you're quick you can get into that first closet on the left (where the battle droid comes out). The door locks you in though. Fortunately there is a hole near the top of the door where you can jump through the wall again.

I wish I had the time to make a really good bug list. I don't even know the url of the page I already made. D'oh.

Is there anyway to keep the game from recopying all the sound files to your computer every time you load a level? Besides the fact that this slows everything down, it would be nice to replace some of the sounds.

Old 07-18-2001, 07:15 PM   #153
Zanzibar

Jeez, I wish there were. It's amazing that we couldn't figure out that you DON'T HAVE to re-copy the sounds EVERY TIME YOU RESTART OR LOAD the same level you're on. I didn't even know that we re-copied the sounds until after we shipped. Again, something that the programmers grin sheepishly about when we mention it to them. That would have dropped our loading times by almost half, I bet.

Yeah, I think the only way to change the sounds is to alt-tab out of the game and manually change them, but that may be dangerous.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:35 PM   #154
Gabrobot

Hey, in the Coruscant level in the part just before the elevator tacking you down to the area with all the crates you have to push around, I jumped off the platform near the left side and landed...in the lower levels of Coruscant!
Wasn't killed either. not much of the floor is there though.

Interesting...
Gabrobot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2001, 08:22 PM   #155
Redwing

I play the PC version of TPM. And yes, I know you can get pushed through there rather easily (if you can stay alive) but I just thought it was funny. There really is no way to get out? Awwww....

PS Master Qui-Gon, I actually DO have the URL to your page.... http://masterquigon.homestead.com/fi...TPM-Start.html

EDIT: Erm, oops...forgot the UBB function

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Redwing ]
Old 07-19-2001, 04:08 PM   #156
Master Qui-Gon

Gabrobot, can you make a screen shot to show me what you're talking about.

Thanks for the URL, I'll see about adding something if I can.

Old 07-25-2001, 12:40 PM   #157
Jedi SuperBuen

...? Well? Zanz ya never answered my Q...

It's not the kill
Old 07-25-2001, 06:14 PM   #158
Zanzibar

No hints, first one to post all 4 correctly gets an email with a 'special limited edition TPM attachment' from me....

Here's how:

For each character, list WHAT level you see them on, and the general area of the level in which you see them. Some characters are used in multiple places, I will accept any place as long as it's described in some detail. Describing the outfit color is useful as well.

Once again, characters are:
Sean Connery
David Bowie
David Duchovny
Gillian Anderson

Good luck
Old 07-25-2001, 08:10 PM   #159
Gabrobot

I'll post screenshot as soon as I can, I'm not sure if I can do it again as I havn't tried more the once.
Gabrobot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2001, 10:45 PM   #160
Redwing

Dang! No fair Zanzi, your models' faces make 'em too hard to tell

Hmmm I'll have to go look anyway.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 2. Star Wars Gaming > Episode I: The Phantom Menace > TPM Q & A